IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lamprey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#576 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

That defeats the entire concept of putting washers in the first place, which is (intended) to increase the surface area with the given tension on it. Despite this if the clear is not cured (or soft), it is only going to increase the size of the squished area.

That's partially true. I agree that a larger diameter washer helps distribute the force over a wider area. But, the (star) posts themselves are not flat on the bottom. If a washer the same diameter as the post it would be better than a post alone. Is it enough? I don't know.

Here is a picture of the bottom to illustrate:

redpost (resized).jpgredpost (resized).jpg
#579 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

I contacted my distributor within 3 weeks of ownership. They have contacted/submitted the pictures to Stern and we are waiting on Stern's response. Pretty hard for Stern to claim not within warranty when it's been less than a month unless they don't stand behind their product. I'm going to give them a chance to do the right thing so I hope they come through. I have a chip, pooling at most posts, plus pooling at other locations where something is attached to the playfield.[quoted image]

Have you read Stern's warranty? If not, you might want to read as it (the express warranty) doesn't cover playfields.

I'm guessing you mean the implied warranty. If so, I sure hope hey step up and get it fixed/replaced!

#865 4 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Naptha to clean bare wood, 2 coats Varethane Interior Gloss, uv inkjet printing, finish clear coats. Do not know what the other major pinball playfield producers are doing!

Doesn't Varethane (Polyurethane?) turn yellow in time? Or are there new formulations that don't yellow now?

#1001 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I just don’t understand why its ok and even considered acceptable by some for a pinball company to sell someone a defective product that cost ten thousand dollars and then tell them to get screwed. If the consumer has no protection against things like this then why aren't car companies telling their customers to get f***** when they buy a new car and the motor or transmission goes out?

Not sure if that is a rhetorical question, but there are many consumer protection laws in place for cars. Specifically, the Motor Vehicle Defects Law which covers Lemon Law and such. If there wasn't you'd bet your sweet, sweet ass that they'd try and fuck it! Unfortunately, not so much for pinball.

2 months later
#3211 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

For what it is worth my distributor (Nitro) submitted my IMDNLE pictures to Stern last Wednesday and first thing this morning I received word that Stern has agreed to send me a replacement unpopulated playfield.
So maybe their process has matured and PF supply improved, at least with regard to IMDN.

How does the swap work; Does your distro do it or do you bill Stern for the swap?

2 weeks later
#3353 4 years ago

What are people doing that have major issues out of the box: Like that guy that got the JP2 with that awful clear coat?

Full disclosure - I have only bought one NIB pin (Alien) and if it was messed up I don't know that I'd have any recourse with an Australian distro. But, if I bought local I'd just return the game. Are people having them shipped so they are, ostensibly, "stuck" with the game and just hoping that someone makes it right?

I don't really want to debate the damage that could be done to a distro, but if I buy a defective product from a store I will take it back to the store. Why are more people not putting more pressure on their distributors? Maybe my temperature gauge is off on this, but it seems people want to email Stern and hope things get taking care of instead of pressuring their distributor...?

This whole manufacturer-distributor situation seems whacky. I feel for those affected and hope they get a proper resolution to their issues.

3 weeks later
#3895 4 years ago
Quoted from ctviss:

<snip>If I had a high-gloss shine on the playfield, the second picture would look no different than the worst pictures posted here of new games.<snip>

That's pretty funny!

You are joking right? Hard to tell sometimes on the Internet.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#4360 4 years ago
Quoted from silen7ce:

Just picked up a new maiden yesterday and day 1 had quarter inch piece of clear and art chip off by the newton ball...on top of that lower left flipper is sticking up :/ will be calling Stern monday.

Don't call Stern. Return it.

#4417 4 years ago
Quoted from silen7ce:

Distributor... all sales final...

FYI:

All Sales Final policies are not prohibited under federal or any state law. As long as the policy is clear and in writing, retailers do not have to issue a return or refund except when a product is defective.

#4458 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Correct. All sales are final, but there is a warranty for a reason..

You do realize the playfield isn't included in Stern's stated warranty?

#4461 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

You do realize there are consumer protection laws against manufacturing defects, including implied warranties, don't you?
In case anyone wants to do some reading: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/58#post-5440961

Yep, fully aware.

I'm just concerned that we are getting into a gray area since the playfield is not specifically covered under any stated warranty and Stern/JJP/Whomever can claim normal wear and tear and owners can claim defect. So, guess I'm saying don't put all your eggs in the warranty basket, start hitting the distro and manufacture with claims of a defective product from the start.

#4503 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How could you measure how deep they are when they are under smooth clear coat!

Are you being facetious? The clear is cratered too.

#4508 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not sure how my new sterns are still smooth then. Just pulled the glass and checked again. Always check when I clean and wax them too.

Are you saying your new Sterns have craters, but it is just the wood and the clear is flat and smooth? Or are you saying your new Sterns don't have any craters?

Sounded like the former, but wasn't clear to me.

1 week later
#4700 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Rofl.
Welcome to the modern era.

To his point, he talking about the compressed wood that is as hard as steel. Not some soft plastic.

With something like wood that is compressed and as hard as steel how do they "CNC" that? Do they use water jets or plasma or lasers or something else?

#4751 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s not actually uv light.

They don't fall in the UV spectrum? Hu.. I wonder how it gets the "glow" affect then?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Trade
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 22.50
$ 24.50
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 21.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lamprey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.