IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koops.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Welp, I got to play a different JP2 tonight... and it was far worse with the PF issues than the other JP2 I first showed. This one has the bubbling full on cracking at one sling and it has chipped off on the other showing bare wood. 0-2 for ones I’ve seen in the wild...
[quoted image][quoted image]

That second pic shows the star post edge below both the clear AND artwork.

Soft clear, new rubber = leaning post?

4 weeks later
#1722 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Lol, washer version WV. Stern just doubled offerings overnight. Pro, Pro WV, Premium, Prem WV, LE, LE WV, SLE, SLE WV!!! Of course, you can opt for the no art, no washer version too!

823BED6C-75D6-4952-AF49-D85CDFF92EC1 (resized).jpeg823BED6C-75D6-4952-AF49-D85CDFF92EC1 (resized).jpeg

4 months later
#4737 4 years ago
Quoted from silen7ce:

Looking for advice. Finally heard back from Stern and they offered me a "blank playfield" which I'm guessing is unpopulated. The way they phrased it was they were asking if I "accepted this as compensation" or something like that.. Should I be pushing to get a populated or partially populated playfield or is that never going to happen?

This seems to fit with what someone said previously about not doing populated playfields anymore.

#4742 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Anyone who does not see the opportunity for falsifying facts is an idiot. Show actor cut use stuntman cut show actor the number of times they cut there could have been a half doz playfields used

To what end? They're not a big manufacturer nor are they making a machine with a high demand theme in which they are trying to trick customers by doing this.

I'm sure if we messaged Damien he'd do it again with a clamped camera and in a single continuous shot.

edit: i've asked Damien if he can do it again in a single shot

#4778 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

It would be great if every year at the turn of the year Stern would increase the quality of materials.

What incentive do they have to do that though?
Are customers not purchasing because quality has gone down?

#4904 4 years ago

Ready for some “extreme dimpling?”

Played this guy today. Ball kept getting stuck and when I checked I initially though it was the ramp flap. It wasn’t even touching it rather resting in the valley.

RIP clear coat.
2323DD21-E0EC-4013-97AF-226FF517A02E (resized).jpeg2323DD21-E0EC-4013-97AF-226FF517A02E (resized).jpeg927AA742-A540-424B-B353-4FC15BDF3651 (resized).jpeg927AA742-A540-424B-B353-4FC15BDF3651 (resized).jpeg

4 months later
#5462 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

As per the description of the wood they order and use for playfields, several posts ago, if I read that correctly, stern could spend $12 more per pf and have a tough wood laminate on both sides of the pf not just the underside. That might go someway towards alleviating the issues but they don't and thats why they get my jazz hands even when amazing games like tmnt make we want to spend my money with them...

That would logically seem like a no brainer for stern but i'd expect it would be a case of "$12? too expensive" meanwhile "where are those $600 toppers?"

Or maybe they could offer a "premium playfield wood upgrade : $600". Is a 50 times markup enough?

1 week later
#5531 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Is anyone else in this thread waiting for a jp warranty playfield? If so, how long have you been waiting. After almost 7 months i was approved for a unpopulated warranty. I sent my address and then received an email that playfields for Jp are on backorder. Just wondering if there are others waiting? Funny thing is in the email they claim covid is to blame, but they had no problem getting materials to produce TMNT OR Heavy Metal during the same covid.

How many are getting unpopulated vs populated? Locally i've heard about people with bad pf's but havn't heard if they got populated ones or if that is a thing of the past now.

What are people that are getting unpopulated going to do with them? Would even 1/2 of them swap the pf's?

To me it "seems" like its this :

unpopulated = shove under the machine until I sell it. Perhaps add it as a sweetener if they see the playfield condition or sell it later to make up for the difference.

populated = actually getting what I originally wanted and paid for.

1 week later
#5702 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I noticed the quality part in Stern's latest motto has been dropped...

Old motto
"Stern Pinball, Inc., the world’s oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball machines"

New motto
"A global lifestyle brand based on the iconic and outrageously fun modern American game of pinball"

Atleast they are being honest then!

#5731 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Oh lord! So that’s the tip of a screw being sent too deep pushing up art layer?

If it was installed then the ball will rip through the rest of the art around it and then start scratching up balls.

Does a magnet stick to it?
Can you push it down flat?

If there is no metal then you’d probably be able to get it recleared as you already said (not that you should have to!).

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 weeks later
#5906 3 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Who is Stern going to listen to more closely when being asked to ship out large expensive items? Random internet dude or a person they know, have dealt with for a long time and buys 100s of their pins a year?

"Neither"

lol i'm just kidding but get what your saying. You'd hope that a large dist can apply pressure when required.

#5952 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Not being funny, but what would you expect to happen?
People moan about this state of affairs, but then you see a new thread hyping JP, Turtles or whatever’s next, where people have got collective amnesia, or quite simply the lure of a new theme overpowers their critical faculties.. “this time it’ll be different”, “it won’t happen to me”.
Stern knows that the furore is not affecting their sales in a meaningful way, so they have got absolutely no impetus to change or do anything that costs them more money, including making good people who have problems.

Yeah optimism bias or perhaps stockholm syndrome

‘Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.' .. "but its JAWS *swipes credit card*"

2 weeks later
#6198 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

If you need a zoom lense for this then you better get your eyes tested
tmnt (resized).jpegtmnt (resized).jpeg

its like they need to clean the print wires/heads or something.
The vertical stripes on the turtles chest seem to be a quality artifact of that.

Anyone know what process are these actually make with? its not screenprinting so ... Inkjet/laser/dye sublimation/uv led (like this

) ?

2 months later
#6571 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I suspect that someone with a QA/QC background should have marked the raw playfield as a blemish at the mill or CNC shop, BEFORE all of the inserts, paint and clear was applied. Once that fisnihing artwork effort has been expended, it's a tough choice to be made, but surely not a playfield to be used in production of the top of the line LE unit. Prior to that art finishing, they could have easily scrapped the raw board stock without too much loss. In fact, the supplier may have been willing to credit them back for the delivered unit which was blemished.

Its worrying that along that entire process all those different people said "yep, good enough".

1 week later
#6691 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I do not understand why they cannot solve the slingshot post pooling problem by using a simple method: add a clear plastic under the normal slingshot plastic, which has 3 holes for each post. The clear plastic fixes the whole slingshot unit against the pressure from the sling rubber, which otherwise pushes the posts inwards and causes the pooling. The clear plastic makes it stabile.
I made this for my POTC and it worked well. Very easy and more or less no costs.
The pictures shows what I mean. Just replace the yellow color by a transparent one. The normal plastic is then added on top.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pressure from the sling rubber would still be pulling on the lower section of the post though won't it?

So as a test if you rebuilt the sling (not connected to the playfield) using just the art sling plastic, your yellow plastic, the 3 bolts+nuts, 3 posts, and the rubber . Wouldn't it still be pulling inwards on the posts?

The top and bottom posts would have to be be very tightly screwed to your yellow plastic to resist the rubber pulling it in. I'd guess having the nuts screwed down that tight would likely crack or atleast scratch the art sling plastic.

3 months later
#7522 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Stern is working with me now to fix it. I was able to stack three quarters, one on top of another and still the straight edge was above it! It was flat at one point and ABOVE thay in another. Dramatic curve.
Here's a pic with only two quarters, and you can see how even that is way below the dip that's in it!
[quoted image]

wow thats pretty bad!

"thats just next level theme integration" <inset joke about blackhole/warped spacetime in that part of the playfield here>

3 weeks later
#7790 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I got word from Stern that they are "hard coating" my playfield and it should be shipped within a few weeks. What do you guys think? Is that something I should wait to play for a while, as to avoid issues?

Quoted from Haymaker:

They don't clear or print playfields in house from what I understand.

The walk through with Jack Danger suggested otherwise re: in house clearing (6min mark) but this was from october last year.

cc : "we sand the entire playfield to make sure the entire thing is level and this is the preparation to bring it to where we're clear coating them in this back room that we're not going to show you"

#7792 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

That's great. Pat from stern told me they're sending it out. So don't know what to say.

Video was from october last year so anything could have happened between then and now.

Entirely possible things have changed or you are getting special treatment outside of their normal process.

#7872 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I finally got my word on my JP premium. An unpopulated playfield.

damn. :\

This is a token/accountant gesture and stern know's it.

They've done the sums and seen how much it is going to cost to fix that issue and are closing the books on your case.
Any physical replacements or service that they have to do will reduce profit margin on the machine by a non trivial amount.

What they should be doing is taking the entire machine back and give you a new one (has this ever happened?).

With the old one they could recover parts and remake with a new playfield and mark it as refurbished like they do in other industries. It's not dishonest and the new customer knows what they are getting at a reduced price.

Hell, don't even do anything to it and mark it down with the known quality issues. Plenty of route operators might take a cheap version like this!

All of this makes me SUPER wary of ordering something new. I discussed this with my local distributor after I had a deposit in for a jple and the best I could get was a "we'll look after you". When asked how this sort of thing would be resolved it was "it depends on stern", so I cancelled my order. and got a refund. As much as the distributor wants to fight for me I could see that it wouldnt help.

#7909 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I am almost done replacing my playfield. Look how god damn warped this thing is! Like wow! Talk about unsavable side drains!
[quoted image]

orbiter 1 remake confirmed!

"obviously your table is warped or its a trick of the light" /s ;p

I'm really shocked tbh! Would love to see a straight edge right across it from edge to edge now its depopulated.
Fill in the holes and you have a boat hull!

3 months later
#8575 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

In all fairness, Alien almost killed Oneangrymo here on Pinside, so it is not completely out of the question.
Here is a cloud for you to get angry at:
[quoted image]

oldman_cloud.jpgoldman_cloud.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

8,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 290.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 16.00
$ 7,999.00
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koops.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=koops and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.