IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kermit24.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#752 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

For a long time I thought "wow, this is a horrible time for deeproot to enter the market", wow their fortunes have changed!

Why do you think this? Because a company that has never manufactured a pinball machine before is going to have no quality issues?

#872 4 years ago

Munsters has no artwork under the sling posts. Has anyone seen a Munsters with pooling in that area?

1 week later
#1313 4 years ago

I have not heard of Stern sending blank playfields to resolve a playfield issue, only populated ones. With Ghostbusters, it took a long time for them to get the playfield swap program in place and start sending them out. Perhaps it will take some time to get this ramped up, but I am confident Stern will take care of many customers. I am sure some will still not be happy, because in the past they have swapped the bad ones (crossing some sort of threshold) and not swapped some they deem to be minor.

#1325 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

In the case of clear pooling / chipping I can see Stern sending out populated playfields for severe chipping but not for pooling since it seems to exist in some capacity on a large number of Stern pins over multiple titles made within the past several years.

I agree with this. It will probably be for chipping or severe pooling. Minor pooling that requires a camera at full zoom where you see dust specs will probably not be swapped.

2 weeks later
#2129 4 years ago

Before Stern swapped out my Ghostbusters PF they sent me a bottle of clear. That won't be the final resolution for those with a truly bad playfield. The frenzy on here, while understandable to a certain extent, is also quite over the top. Give Stern a chance to make it right. Can't speak for JJP as I have not been a customer, but I have not seen an example of a populated playfield replacement from them.

#2137 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Yeah, thankfully they made an announcement ackowledging the PF problems, helping give consumers and customers the assurance they need that the problem has been identified, that they understand it's a problem to address, and that they're hard at work fixing it to regain the community's confidence.
And they did it without a single word:
[quoted image]
Wonder if they can hire Cliffy to start making apron-long cliffies for artwork that tears off the PF. I'm sure they'll make an announcement ANY second......!

Stern has replaced Ghostbusters, Spider-Man Vault, Star Wars, Metalica, Iron Maiden, Beatles (just that I personally know of) games with populated playfields. Zero announcements. These are dealt with on a case by case individual basis.

1 week later
2 weeks later
#2753 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I've heard crickets as well. Not even an email to tell me I've been denied service...

I would follow up once every week or two.

#2763 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Buddy got a new JP...2 bad coil stops and an insert sunk in about 1/16", which effects gameplay. Hopefully Stern takes care of his PF for him.[quoted image]

That playfield should have never left the factory. Stern will take care of him but it shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

1 month later
#3233 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

I don't know why they are no longer answering emails. I have even called, leaving messages with no return phone call.

Call them during business hours. Usually someone answers. Don't leave voice mails or emails. As someone mentioned earlier, they are old school and are not super responsive with electronic communication.

2 weeks later
#3395 4 years ago

I know we have one person that has reported issues with the new Stern playfields with no artwork around the posts. Not a large sample size considering how many games are shipping. Have there been others?

#3433 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

And one of these vendors is obviously Micro.

Incorrect. Micro has said over and over he has never supplied Stern.

#3442 4 years ago
Quoted from WillSmuz8999:

Trying to set the record straight...
Mirco does not make Stern playfields. Mirco makes for his own repro business and JJP.
Stern makes their boards in house now, and installs the inserts, and sands the boards. I am not sure if they perform the seal coat, but I think they send them to an automotive coater in Crystal Lake, IL, who seals them, then they are sent to Rockford Silk Screen Process for digital printing,and then to the same clearcoater. Not sure, if they still use them for playfields too, but Stern once used The Fun Company in New Lisbon, WI. I know they were, maybe still are, making the wood cabinets for Stern, and possibly playfields.
American Pinball once used Mirco for the beginning of Houdini, but switched to Bader in Scales Mound, IL and then they are sent to Signcraft Screenprint in Galena, IL.
Charlie at Spooky once worked for Signcraft. Charlie gained knowledge in digitally printing playfields, etc... and has a JV with Tim Lutz at Lutz Mfg, in Benton, Wi, which is where he gets his playfields.
That is all!

Thanks. Good to have someone with actual knowledge chime in vs the folks talking out of their ass.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3457 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

they "fixed" it on elvira by making the clearcoat super thin and getting rid of all the artwork under the posts.
in exchange you get a playfield dimpled like the surface of the moon after about 3-4 weeks.
but hey, according to stern it'll "even out" after a while so all should be good now!

I notice the dimples much more with the thicker Stern clear vs the thinner. Either way, dimples happen on every pinball so that doesn't concern me. Artwork chipping away does.

9 months later
#6639 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

What time is Mirco Playfield “test”
I couldn’t find it Skipping through.

https://www.twitch.tv/pinballexpo/video/772313718?t=22m05s

Skip to 22m if the link doesn’t take you there.

#6694 3 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

Haven’t read thru all the posts just saw the title. I was able (well my distributor) to get Stern to swap out my JP LE with a new perfect populated play field.
Feels like a new machine. Question - not that I’m selling anytime soon but does that move the plays count back down to 0, since majority of the machine is new? How do you account for this kind of situation?

You don't. Just document the play count and the date when you did the swap. At the end of the day, the condition of the game will speak for itself. I have seen fantastic games with 30K plays and garbage ones with 10K plays.

#6829 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Please explain to us all how Spooky got around this forced switch to water based clears? They make great playfields now. If they can make good PF’s so can everyone else. No?

I honestly don’t think they switched. They just used the old bad stuff and are off the radar because they are so small.

If that is true it’s really an unfair advantage for Spooky.

#6831 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Care to elaborate on how you would know this.....

I don’t know anything. Just posing a possible theory.
Someone could test the chemical composition of the spooky clear to know for sure.

#6832 3 years ago

Do you guys think HEP or Kruzman uses the latest State of California environmental commission approved clearcoat?

#6931 3 years ago

I don’t think the ribbing “has to always be there”. That wood should have been rejected before anything.

The light does have to reflect at the perfect angle to see it in most cases.

#6942 3 years ago
#6973 3 years ago
Quoted from Damen:

And I guess this thread validates my apprehension towards buying new games

The new stuff is awesome though. I’ve had a good mix of both and you are missing out if you only go 90’s Bally Williams.

#7026 3 years ago

I think people care more and less based on levels of severity. If huge chunks of artwork was coming off the playfield vs a spec by the post that you need a to do a 10x zoom on a photo to see clearly are totally different things. Both suck, but far different levels of suck.

#7066 3 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Hooking up with some one means something different in the uk....

Same in the USA.

"Hooking you up" not the same meaning as "Hooking up with you".

3 weeks later
#7261 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern still has playfield issues with metal guides digging to playfields that results in chipping. That never used to happen.
Another...
[quoted image]

Why isn’t there a washer under that spade bolt?

1 week later
#7298 3 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

Is someone here who has received a replacement playfield for chipping clear coat in the shooter lane?
I need help for a friend. He has ordered almost 15Nib games in the past 5 years. Now he is having playfield issues for the first time with his TMNT.
The shooter lane has chipped with just under 100 games. Stern is only willing to send a clear coat touch-up kit.
But this is not acceptable for a game which cost 6000€ and more.
If someone has had a similar situation it would be nice if he could contact me via PM
Thanks in advance!

Stern handles playfield issues on a case by case basis and the solution they offer generally changes based on the severity of the problem. I have not seen replacement playfields offered for just some shooter lane wear. Doesn't mean it has not happened, but I have never seen it.

3 weeks later
#7413 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Axe to grind or not, everything he is saying is true.

Stern released a counter point video. Not an accident that the titles of both videos are almost identical. It is very well done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.00
$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kermit24.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=kermit24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.