IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guinnesstime.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3564 4 years ago

I traded Deadpool LE for GOTG Pro (plus cash) recently.

My DP had no pooling or chipping. It did have a bunch of dimpling. Sucks because the DP art is AMAZING. Saying it’ll even out is pretty damn optimistic, not just because of the amount of time it’ll take, but dimpling was located only in certain areas.

GOTG had a playfield protector installed by previous own before ball 1. At first I was going to remove it, but after reading thru this thread, hell no.

Game plays very fast with it - like 1st game post-wax - all the time, but I’m getting used to it.

I won’t buy a newer Stern until this playfield crap is fixed.

#3657 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Stranger Things about 2 days old. Tons of dimpling the surface appears to be like putty. Particularly pronounced in a game with a ramp shot that airballs all over the playfield.
The fact that people are still buying this company's products and/or saying this level of dimpling is acceptable or somehow "evens out" is idiotic.[quoted image]

That's "depressing."

#3674 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's a good example of a lot of dimpling blending together.
The pic below is from a Batman 66 premium that was on location for probably 6 months. Something at Stern has changed with either the wood or clear coat process as the dimpling looks more severe (deeper dimpling) than that from games made 20 years ago.
[quoted image]

You should see the on-location Ghostbusters near me. Makes BM66 look good.

#3714 4 years ago

This dimple talk is depressing.

#3764 4 years ago

Maybe we can use the force to even the dimpling out?

469C5A0A-B6C6-47DB-9C74-2CCE88C698E3 (resized).jpeg469C5A0A-B6C6-47DB-9C74-2CCE88C698E3 (resized).jpeg
#3767 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I don't think that I could force myself to play that game enough to even the dimples out.

It's embarrassingly barren. I have spoken.

#3830 4 years ago

I have league tonight. I'll snap some pics of some routed, well-maintained machines. Ghostbusters Premium will show you how it evens out.

#3849 4 years ago

Here’s Ghostbusters Premium on location.
AF7C8948-83BF-428E-8CE6-68A7000F5681 (resized).jpegAF7C8948-83BF-428E-8CE6-68A7000F5681 (resized).jpeg

Here’s TSPP

4DD6288C-35F8-47C0-8A33-657AC40419A9 (resized).jpeg4DD6288C-35F8-47C0-8A33-657AC40419A9 (resized).jpeg
#3853 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Umm......what a minute. I thought people were saying that TSPP didnt dimple?? Hmm.....

Much more than HUO no doubt, but Ghostbusters is an absolute mess compared to it.

IMG_9243 (resized).jpgIMG_9243 (resized).jpg
#3866 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That looks like a fine Stern Prime playfield, lots of marbling!
[quoted image]

Great now I'm hungry @panzerfreak

#3886 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

50 plays. Like new.[quoted image]

Holy crap. Was that routed?

bars (resized).pngbars (resized).png
1 week later
#3905 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup, but we may be in another steady state again lol. I took your advice from a while back and just bought a GoldenTee 2020 to put in my last pin spot. No dimpling, and no weird QC issues. Just finished setting it up tonight and having a blast so far.
[quoted image]

Can't argue with Golden Tee.

#3950 4 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

The easiest way to stop cheating would have to be timestamped and game id stamped camera footage available via cloud to verify any games in question. Of course any sensor (like pitch) could be altered to show different readings.

If that’s the “easiest” it ain’t happening.

1 week later
#4514 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Some comments from Joe Kaminkow on recent playfield quality when asked about it on the Super Awesome Pinball show.
https://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/12947717
"...the clear coat is not glass, it's paint, it's a ball, it's a piece of wood, it will roll, big deal"
"It's a pinball, they wear out, they're mechanical things"
Super Awesome Pinball Show "You haven't noticed a change from before to now in playfield quality"?
"I'm sure from batch to batch the poplar wood changes from what tree was cut down or what the amount of moisture was in the air or the amount of time the hard coat did or how somebody mixed the hard coat with not enough of something, too much of something else but you know it's a pinball machine"
"To quote Gary we are not making heart and lung machines, we are making pinball machines"
"We used to make games where the hard coat would wear out within 90 days"
"For those at home in their underwear and in their wife beaters and drinking PBR and bitch in the words of William Shatner get a life"

Those quotes aren't Super Awesome. He was on the wrong show.

#4639 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Why not just put a playfield protector on all games at the factory? Id imagine it would not cost very much buying in bulk. Over time, as they wear, the owner could replace them and still have a nice new pf underneath. I've had one on my mmr since day 1, looks great, not a whole lot of difference in play. Easier to replace a pf protector than an entire pf.

It is. But they do play different and after a while, just don't look as good. They do play different. It's consistent, yes, but different.

#4650 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

What you can do to a bare playfield, you can do to a playfield protector.
Wax, polish clean, etc, etc. If the ball is running over a thin film of wax it does not matter what is underneath, the ball will behave the same.
We have some games with protectors (most of the new ones) and some without.

Hard to do outlane saves with protectors. Ball travels faster and has less spin, IMO.

#4668 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is there a reflection or glare at all from a protector?
I've considered them, but also felt putting things in plastic, take away the experience of using something, versus not. Like shelving a game, movie, etc. Like pinball is meant to be played, not have a condom wrapped around it.
Dunno really....

Looked fine while playing. You can tell it's there when you're not playing.

4 months later
#5373 3 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I would be thrilled to have just dimples. I have noticeable wood grain on majority of my playfield on top of some chipping and bubbling.
[quoted image]

That’s horrendous. Stern should be embarrassed.

4 months later
#6846 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Great stream last night and You hit the nail right on the head Nick. Im sure that your stream wont actually get Jack and Gary to take care of their customers any better but i bet it at least has them sweating a little bit. Great job for real.

Watched the whole thing. Appreciate the candor. Sucks not being able to buy NIB anymore. Only in pinball can there be issues like this and companies won't do or say a damn thing.

#6957 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

For this sent to me in a local app group. Don’t know where it comes from but clearly shows a GnR
[quoted image]

KaleidoscopicHelplessGypsymoth-small.gifKaleidoscopicHelplessGypsymoth-small.gif
1 month later
#7367 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

That reminds me, the McRib is back too.

Parking Lot McRib is underrated.

IMG_5730 (resized).jpgIMG_5730 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#7827 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I finally got my word on my JP premium. An unpopulated playfield.

I think JJP lowered the bar with this, making it acceptable to others like Spooky and Stern. Didn't use to be the case, but really there's no other alternative unless there's enough for a class action.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 34.99
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guinnesstime.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.