IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#401 4 years ago

The fascinating thing about these issues is their widespread inconsistency, affecting all manufacturers across a wide sampling of games over a long period of time. It almost seems random.

But the most frustrating thing is, it's happening on playfields made by "the professionals", right?

To wit, over my 5 years in the hobby I've restored a few basket cases, learning and trying new methods as I go. My first pin was a Space Shuttle that I partially (hand) repainted then cleared with Varathane 5 years ago. My next was a destroyed Firepower where I had to replace nearly all the inserts (even had to route the arrow holes biger since the new ones would not fit for some reason) and I used Spraymax 2PAC for that. My Bad Cats was a full hand-repaint and DiamondFinish Clear. And I just finished a barn-find rat's nest El Dorado with the DFC again.

I'll never say any of those games will pass the full "NIB / tightass collector sniff test" - my foibles, mistakes, and learning tells are still there; OTOH whatever defects there are, I know *exactly* what I did wrong to cause. AND YET, I've taken the first three games to shows, each has well over 1000 plays, some over 2,000.... And they are flat, smooth, and mostly wear-defect free. My Firepower inserts haven't popped or ghosted. I *don't* have any post rippling. Dimples? NONE! No clear chipping, planking, or abnormal wear with the sole exception of the impact zone from Space Shuttle's ramp air drop, as you might expect after thousands of plays over *years*.

Unlike Stern, JJP, Spooky, CPR, et al I'm just a newbie idiot learning as he goes, doing this stuff in suboptimal conditions with amateur equipment - yet my results seem to be pretty damn durable. So just WTF is going on in the professional realm? It has to be rushed schedules... that's the only thing in my favor, just plodding along letting things cure as I take my time. But even then, the "cure" was generally only a few weeks as opposed to months - surely any manufacturer could do the same.

The other thing is my older games were obviously well seasoned with older settled wood and legacy playfield inks. But my restores have all been acrylic paints and homemade decals with no apparent issues with the various clears I used. You'd expect the pro manufacturers to use better stuff and/or know what they're doing, so again, what gives?

Kinda sad when a newbie experimenter idiot can make a more durable result for a couple hundred bucks, than pros charging $6-7-8-9-10+K for NIB...

#408 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

Well it finally happened. I was hoping the "pooling" wouldn't progress to the chip phase but it has.

Ouch. Man that really sucks. But I guess since it took the art with it we can assume the ink-to-clear bond is good.

Has it been determined if the art "ripples" along with the clear? Or is the clear rippling above flat art? If the art ripples, it would seem to indicate an issue with adhesion to the wood. But most posts don't seem to have much line art around them to conclusively tell.

#442 4 years ago

Well done! Even if manufacturer response count is too high

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 11,000.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 32.99
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.