IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fooflighter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#484 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I'm sure those upper washers by the "plastics" are gentle on the balls.

I replaced mine with the plastic protectors from Mezel Mods on my Star Wars Premium, look better than stock and don't damage the balls

#666 4 years ago

Stern still silkscreens correct? I saw a tour walkthrough on YouTube with George Gomez that may be a couple years old and they were doing only silk-screening at the time

1 week later
#1158 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

One more thing...this isn't just about the clear. My IMDN has awful wood grain showing through the artwork. I know I'm not the only one and was told this is the "new normal" by industry folks. I sent the photos to Stern and they did nothing. I'm sure if I made a big enough "stink", I might get more attention. Who knows. I just don't have the "fight" in me anymore to deal with this type of stuff. Life is too short. My solution is to simply avoid NIB purchases...in the past year I've had to deal with CPU death (Munsters), wood grain (IMDN) and node board failures (KISS). Meanwhile, all my older SAM/Whitestar Stern's give me awesome service.

Are you talking about a ribbing look on the playfield? I never thought this looked bad, just me though...

#1172 4 years ago

I'm new to the hobby, my SW Premium has a slight wood grain at extreme (nose in the cabinet with a flashlight) angles but with perfect clear, and no pooling...had I not seen the grain as a disliked feature on pinside, I wouldn't have even noticed it... I dunno, I guess it looks like wood to me.. I have some high end Gibson guitars and the grain on those gives them character, even under a nitrocellulous laquer finish...

3 weeks later
#2257 4 years ago

Hey Hawk, I posted in the other Prem/Le club thread, but am reposting it here since this is the issue thread... There's a user on pg 20 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-jurassic-park-le-club/page/20#post-5235583

of the club thread, The Gunnett, with the exact same white rescue color insert in the same location as yours... Just FYI so you him and anyone else (or maybe Stern reading this) with the issue can let Stern know there is another QC issue with the insert color it seems
Screenshot_20191005-013525_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191005-013525_Chrome (resized).jpg

#2359 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

I posted this in the JPLE thread, but wanted to let people here know as well that two senior people reached out to me regarding the PF issues I had and they are sending my distributor a new populated PF to swap. Based on the communications I've had with them, I have no doubt that this is an important issue for them to get right. I appreciate everyone's advice here. It helped tremendously.

Stern and your distributor came through. Major Kudos to them and might I add that your handling of the issues was both professional, mature, and well documented. Here's to your new playfield!!!! Glad this had a good ending.

1 month later
#3084 4 years ago

I like the newer thin clear on my JP Premium...way way less dimpling, almost none after 600 games, very tiny actually compared to my SW premium...if that is the new normal going forward, I like it. looks glossy all the same waxed up to a nice shine...hearkens back to older machines without the flaking, chipping, clear pooling as of late

1 month later
#3402 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Unfortunately my brand new JP Premium playfield has problems also. And it has the new playfield design with circles around the posts. Build date 10/21/19. It has 2 areas (as of now) with clear/artwork that has chipped away with bare wood now showing. These are both areas where a metal lane guide was pressed against the playfield, not from posts being hit from a ball.
I made phone calls and sent pictures on Dec 5th to both my distributor and to Stern. Stern is “reviewing” my case and is supposed to get back to me.
I have specifically requested a completely populated playfield. They need to do the right thing here. I personally have purchased 8 Stern pins. (7 premiums, 1 pro). I’ve put thousands of dollars in Stern’s bank account. This is the first time I’ve requested an expensive warranty item. If they don’t give me a populated playfield I will NOT be buying another Stern.

I can probably guess those areas (mine were the curve guide to the right of the raptor pit leading to the tower, the guide to the left of the right ramp, and the guide near the 180 halfpipe in the S lane/launch lane)...I loosened all my guides when I bought mine and put fiber washers in, and rebent two of the guides slightly as they were off...my guides were definitely torqued down way too tight and would have probably led to chipping...I stopped the most severe one and recleared it with some water thin superglue the minute I noticed some clear scraping, luckily it was under a guide and looks perfect after the fix..I have almost the same build date as you... It definitely required some early intervention preventative maintenance and is now perfect and chip/prone free.. But I guarantee if my pin went straight to a route without any tweaks... There would have been at least 3 bare wood spots right now

#3405 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I am very very happy to report that I just got a phone call from Stern this morning. They are shipping me a populated playfield. This is very good news. And an early Christmas present.
Stern is doing the right thing!

That's great news!!!

1 month later
#4376 4 years ago

The post prevents SDTM drains on non flips... It should divert to the left sling or flipper depending on how you have your upper right flipper angle adjusted and the speed of the ball off the guide

3 weeks later
#4872 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Was in the bowling alley the other day... no dimples in the lanes.. ... so they should be able to do the same for a small steel ball too i

It was most likely synthetic, if not, hard maple... They resurface wood ones every couple years

1 week later
5 months later
#6090 3 years ago

When I got my JP Premium, I noticed the ball guides being pretty tight. I loostened them all and inserted a very small fiber washer around all the posts (cut a slit in them so I didn't have to remove the guides completely...resucurred and hand tightened and haven't had one problem with over 5000 plays. I could tell though if I hadn't intervened, there would have been scraping and pooling eventually. Wonder why stern doesn't just add the fiber washers at the factory, you literaly can't see them and they don't change the geometry of the rails at all. Could probably do an entire game for about $2 in washers

4 weeks later
#6402 3 years ago

It looks like the ball guides have a new design (on Avengers) that has raised them up off the playfield and they only make contact at the connection points. I can't tell from all the angles, but it appears that guides digging into the playfield should be a thing of the past. Hope this is correct!

1 month later
#6587 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Yeah, on my brand new (zero balls played) Iron Maiden which has a manufacturing date of Sept 30th 2020, there's a few spots where over-tightened guide rails blistered/pooled the art just like that AIQ. They needed to cut art back around guides just like they did posts. Are you listening Stern???
What are people doing to stop this around guides? You could put a small washer under the mounting points, but ig the washer extends into the playfield art, it seems it will just blister/pool around that washer.

First thing I did on my JP2 Premium was loosen all the guides and insert a small fiber washer (cut a slit in on side to get around the post without having to undo playfield - it will hold just fine after) then just hand tighten to the first point of resistance. The washer sits in the post hole area, doesn't press on the playfield and there is enough contact to hold it in place yet keep the rail off the playfield completely. I have over 5000 games on my machine now and it looks brand new

I got them at Home depot in the specialized parts aisle near the other fasteners, they have various sizes to accommodate most rail solutions

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware/Fiber-Washer/N-5yc1vZc21mZ1z0ztch

I used the 1/4 inch ones on mine

#6589 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Going on year two to three now with Stern not being able to fix this situation.

It looked fixed on TMNT, most of those rails look raised, guess they had some old stock they needed to utilize on AIQ

#6657 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

It looked like there was pooling the second time the starpost was tightened

I didn't see any, he detroyed the star post and max torqued it in too with just a slight scrape

#6662 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just an opinion but these “look how tight I can make it and no damage” displays are hardly real world. It’s when a ball starts side striking that post like a ball peen hammer that damage occurs in short order. Hence the reason a new game out of box always looks perfect. How many have posted pooling Out of Box? How about after 100 plays? A uniform short straight down torque will hardly show damage. These issue are still happening.

True, only a test of time will truly show if it's up to the task...Plus I think the pooling with the clear is a gradual thing, time and pressure to move the clear like a fluid...Not necessarily a quick tightening, although I think they are heading in the correct direction and I was just commenting that I didn't see any pooling after his torque test.

#6667 3 years ago

I wonder since these were the first 100 LE's if those had the older style Mirco clear method and the new version they are doing as described in the Pinball Expo video is what they have since switched to...we'll probably never know when those first playfields were produced, fingers crossed, I hope this isn't Wonka all over again

#6678 3 years ago

Here's a better angle, I rotated it and zoomed in, you can see the post digging in and the clear pooling in front of the chip

chip.pngchip.png
#6681 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Correct. Art and clear is done by one of 2-3 different vendors. But all the wood CNC and inserts are done at Stern. There was a cool video during the virtual EXPO that showed the process.

I thought they did the clear now also, Jack Danger mentioned it in the video but said we're not going to show you that room.

#6682 3 years ago
Quoted from N80G80:

Amusing when I posted in this in the GNR thread last week everyone thought I was nuts.

I couldn't see it well enough in the pic last week, this one the pooling looks worse

#6696 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I do not understand why they cannot solve the slingshot post pooling problem by using a simple method: add a clear plastic under the normal slingshot plastic, which has 3 holes for each post. The clear plastic fixes the whole slingshot unit against the pressure from the sling rubber, which otherwise pushes the posts inwards and causes the pooling. The clear plastic makes it stabile.
I made this for my POTC and it worked well. Very easy and more or less no costs.
The pictures shows what I mean. Just replace the yellow color by a transparent one. The normal plastic is then added on top.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think this is why I've had good luck on my pins, before playing them, I always put in the ridgid plastic guards from Mezelmods... All the pressure from the rubber seems to translate mostly to the extra rugud plastic and I just have the star/sling posts just hand tight

#6908 3 years ago

I'm not an engineer, but made this in 5 minutes in photoshop..why can't they develop a flange that sits under the playfield, secured from below and the post is actually part of the flange that goes through the post hole with a threaded center to screw down the plastics to (They could even polish or coat it to look pretty). It doesn't seem like rocket science and you'd never have a sling post (or anything that takes a pounding) ever touch the surface of the playfield again.

flange.jpgflange.jpg

#6913 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Biggest problem with this design... space.
If you made every post a big 1" square... you'd have all kinds of conflicts of mounting spots on the bottom of the PF.

Maybe for games currently produced, but factor that design into the process going forward and build around it. Stern removed and redesigned the playfield art. I don't know the clearance of the JJP GnR but just looking under my Stern JP, there would be room (see below)..just incorporate the room going forward and problem solved. Plus it doesn't have to be a square, could be circular, just big enough to hold the flange, could even secure the flange with tap in Tposts below similar to a shaker motor mount...just spitballing....but it seems like a washer is treating the symptoms and not the issue.. I'm just a player and owner, I don't care how they do it, but obviously any contact from posts on todays's clear is a bad combination...That is unless we aren't seeing the new Mirco playfileds yet and these are all old stock/early run/prototype pics having the damage.
20201024_115044 (resized).jpg20201024_115044 (resized).jpg

#6914 3 years ago

#6916 3 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Multiple posts could use same bracket maybe?

Great idea, make it one assembly part, even more rigidity and strength

#6919 3 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Like stern used to.

Yep, it could be a tap in from the top too, I just though my idea secured it more instead of the inner playfield hole taking a pounding and stretching out over time

#6929 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Actually fitting the mechs around each other is one of the most difficult portions of PF design... and what every pro laughs at when people armchair design Playfields from just the top. "why don't you just move that over...". They know each change can have a cascade of effects underneath.

So you did it for one post... now how about all the others?
It's a novel idea - just saying it's not a magic bullet. It complicates one of the more constrained portions of mechanical design in the games.

Very true, it is a mechanical bandaid, albeit better than a washer if it could be made...I dunno, it's just frustrating as I'm sure it is for the designers and builders...I'll live with the washer if thats the best they can do, or hope that that in combination of the new formula from Mirco does the trick...A nice official statement would help the speculation too...it's obvious they are now aware of it. Unfortunately, I'm guessing those 100-200 machines already made have older fields and that is a lot of $$$ for repair costs going forward for replacements, so they're probably choosing to handle the fallout on a case by case basis for those owners..on locations probably don't care, early home adopters may get a playfield with the new formula if they are affected...but it would be nice to have something stating the timelines of the new playfield Mirco formula going forward to get ahead of this in the PR/Panic department for those of us waiting on shipping dates

#6935 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

What would be nice is if JJP actually made an official statement about the problem or lack thereof. Otherwise were stuck with people like us theorizing about what the issue is. I'll never understand why these pinball companies are so secretive and quiet about on going issues and release of future games....just look at xbox, play station who are releasing new platforms yet both announced months before their released. Does it work for them...u bet it does...

I posted this on another Facebook group but it's appropriate here

It's a balancing act - if JJP blows the whistle and declares those fields defective, then all would be entitled - for lack of a better term, to a manufacture admitted defect which could be $$$...so a case by case solution is probably what they are doing while swapping in the new formulas and using the washers as a temporary bandaid like Stern did on Jurassic Park until they can either stand behind the new Mirco formula or go further and pull the art back from the sling posts...either way they are walking a tightrope between hype/sales/consumer coinfidence/liability...so it sucks for us, but down the road it may be best to wait and hope for the best

To your point about the companies, I agree...It's like leftovers from the old Operator only years..but the times and especially Covid has shifted a large protion of the consumption to home collectors versus arcades. To operate like a secret society, good 'ole boys club reeks of a Used Car sales lot and shady practices. If you want to put out a lifestyle/collector brand at these marked up $$$, you need to get on board with what MS and Sony does in the hardware world and stand behind the product and release real Service Alert Bulletins and timelines. A little info goes along way for good faith and trust Back in the day of the Xbox 360 red ring of death...MS recalled all of their products and provided a way to send it back for a fix or a full replacement...Look where MS are today, instead of what could have become a PR nightmare, they are about to unseat Sony from the market share with the new Xbox Series X

and Mylar up

#6939 3 years ago

#6951 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

IT'S NOT CALLED SPECTRUM HE WAS DEMOING ON A SPECTRUM PLAYFIELD

I know, but that's what other's have called it, so I'm just using it as a placeholder/knickname since there is no official name of the new clear if there is even one so it just references the coating timeline..If I just said Mirco clear, it doesn't give a timeframe...and Spectrum is just easier than saying..."The new Mirco Clear Coat Process demonstrated in the Pinball Expo Video..."

I'm also calling the Drumstick return the "Thunderchucker return" even though it's Vater

P.S. I did go back and edit my posts though and take out the Spectrum parts to avoid confusion

P.P.S. Why are you shouting, it's my first offense

#6954 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I originally pasted it with hand slap emojis between words, but apparently we can't use UTF8 character sets on Pinside.

Gotcha, it's all good...these are 1st world problems too, I've been off work for 206 days and counting and sometimes this stuff just has no where to go

#7030 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

so make sure your posts are good and tight.

I think that's what's causing the issue though, time and pressure, not sliding or digging in as described with the leg example. Maybe to a slight extent with the "pooling" showing on the inner sling where the force is directed downward from the sling. I think it would be better to isolate the sling posts with more rigid plastics onthe top of the posts to prevent angling/towing in at the bases as the sling rubber pulls inward. But you can see perfect 360 circles on posts that have no rubbers and the washers or posts sink uniformly into the clear..I would actually say keep the posts as loose as possible, just hand tight as much as they won't move when the slings fire but not enough to cause any excess pressure, that in conjuction with reinforced plastic protectors for rigidity

#7075 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Is this Spooky’ way of putting the dagger in a little deeper for JJP and Stern?

Genius!

#7101 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

That is the exact place that mine is damaged. My replacement populated playfield. It is gorgeous everywhere else, but that rail is dug into the the playfield. Took 14 months to get the replacement. If they would pay careful attention to the known problem spots, this could be avoided.

I raised that guardrail on day one with a fiber washer I knew that would be an issue just looking at it

#7105 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

This should not be something a new owner should need to do, ever.

Agreed, but before I launch a ball on a new game, I survey the hell out of it and look for problem issue areas and apply preventative maintenance where I can. Granted, shouldn't have to, but I'm not going to confuse my desired with actual reality and pretend that the games have have been QC'd 100%, they just aren't, they get close but I temper my expectations.

#7106 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Was yours dug in? I'm worried the act of raising it will damaged the art. Right now, mine is not damaged, but you see a visible ripple. I know for certain, I won't be getting a second populated PF.

It was pressing firmly into the playfield, when I released the bolt tension, the guardrail actually sprung back into it's correct shape... I mean it was Really torqued down... It has some scratching already without a ball being played, I Novus2'ed it and waxed and buffed to a gloss... So I raised it, put a strip of mylar down ... Hasn't been a problem and the raptor tower shoots like butter with the washer.

1 week later
#7215 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Stopped me.
I was full in on a GNR LE - but now I'm just going to wait it out or buy a used game I can inspect
Already have games I love, so I don't feel I am missing out

I'm always curious of this statement, but how does that matter in this situation. We've seen playfield look perfect out of the box, then for some reason at play 250 (hypothetical) things fall apart. How does buying used grant some sort of immunity or insurance against this sudden playfield destuction phenomena? Unless you're talking about waiting years and have thousands of plays under a games belt. I don't buy used cars for the same reason (Cargument warning) - I don't want to inheret someone elses problems or hidden issues of neglect.

#7218 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

For the exact reason you outlined in your hypothetical.
These issues appear within a short amount of time. They don't take years to reveal themselves... so buying second hand you have the opportunity to see a game that has already had miles put on it for when you'd expect the issues in question to have appeared if they are going to at all.

Fair enough, so I assume some people will wait years to buy the GnR LE..I'm patient but not that patient

#7221 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

We both just said it won't take years to reveal itself... yet you come back with this?
This is really no different with any NIB purchase... there is no real value besides 'being first' and JJP trying to enforce non-transferable warranties. NIB is a safety blanket to some who are not comfortable with their games.. but for most others its just a luxury.

I guess my thought wasn't communicated correctly, too much coffee. My point was that some people will wait years to see if all the issues have worked out regardless, others will trust that if they haven't seen anything in the first couple months used with no problems they will be good to go, me included for new pins based on online feedback but I'm admittedly rolling the dice on GnR (hoping for good rollout reports from here on in) . I just don't like the used idea though as I said before, I've had bad luck with other peoples hand-me-downs, irrespective of timelines. I guess you're right though, NIB, used, doesn't matter I guess it's your own comfort level. I'll admit, I like shiny new stuff.

#7223 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The best thing about the explosion of the hobby with new buyers is the number of basically brand new games on the second hand market. People are not making bigger collections, they are buying and selling to buy the next game. What used to be like finding a 4 leaf clover is now the expected norm. People measure usage in hundreds of games, not 10k+, etc... Most flaws with a title or example will be flushed out within the first few months of a game being on the market. Or those with weak code, etc.. you can see where the game goes.. (like Batman66).
And add-in that manufacturers re-run games more commonly now... there is even less FOMO.
For those who know what they are capable of... it's easy to sit back and just pick the winners.. instead of playing the NIB lottery. Here's looking at you Munsters owners!

Gotcha, understand!

2 months later
#7471 3 years ago

3 months later
#8140 2 years ago

..moved to GnR Thread

#8141 2 years ago

moved to GnR thread

#8159 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

No, Stern uses a combination of playfield manufacturers while JJP just Mirco.
The picture that Kaneda posted is from a December build CE. We've seen at least one other December build CE posted with chipping / pooling and it was confirmed by the owner that the game didn't ship with factory washers. We haven't seen widespread reports of pooling / chipping since around January when JJP started including washers from the factory. Did anything else change with the playfields around that time? Who knows.

I have an April 2021 build, and while the pooling isn't there like the original 100 LE's that were built, mostly due in part to the factory clear washers they are now using...the problem has not been fixed. I know a bunch of people who have PM'd me and we all have common wear/pooling/art missing spots. The key other areas on GNR are the two pop posts with small washers and the post right above the inlane divider and the post on the top of the playfield near the lock lane

I am convinced that until JJP changes their art printing as Stern did, by removing art from the posts, and /or putting larger clear washers, this issue will never end under the current allowed Clear formulas/process. Or until hey do a Haggis and go acrylic hardtop. Or sneak a peak at American Pinball or Spooky methodology

Every CE that went out the door had either the "new" Mirco process done to it as my LE did and all LE's being built right now. Sure there will be those that say...My playfield is perfect...okay, say that after 500-1000 games.

There hasn't been enough wear testing on certain other problem areas of GNR and I bet I could go to everyone with a new game right now and point to areas that will either start to pool and bunch up or already have started.

Don't know what the solution is except calling out the problems in public

This is from my April build. and here is my fix for just one of the areas I mentioned above...the other areas were similar. The washer below was sunk into the playfield from overtorquing
20210504_011057 (resized).jpg20210504_011057 (resized).jpg20210504_015904 (resized).jpg20210504_015904 (resized).jpg

#8161 2 years ago

Also take into account this first photo is way zoomed in...I'm monitoring and will most likely apply a washer fix to as well. The posts and washers near the left loop orbit entrance. Again, new April build under new Micro process

The playfield does look great overall and most posts appear fine with no pooling, just sone assembly line over tightening and incorrect washer choice in some of these areas.. Along with the clear technique in use.

20210506_113740 (resized).jpg20210506_113740 (resized).jpg

This is the same post at a slightly different angle, not zoomed in... You can see how light, and distance plays a part.

If you're looking for pooling, you may find it

But most people who just play and don't look at OCD levels well be fine with maybe a couple washer fixes along the way.

I'm not defending or taking sides... Merely posting my findings.

Although I would pay $$$ for a JJP Acrylic or the like, playfield to not have to worry about these issues.

At the end of the day, it is pinball and our machines like all of us are falling apart the minute they are born.
Screenshot_20210506-115753_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210506-115753_Gallery (resized).jpg

1 week later
#8256 2 years ago

Just be proactive and get these posts on clear washers early (unfortunate but necessary right now) and you shouldn't have further issue

I've found by blocking these issues early on, I can confidently play it...Just have to get on it right away or before even flipping the pin.

What's crazy is the rest of the playfield is beautiful and holds up to ball play better than my other Sterns.

#8259 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

He got kind of worked up and defensive. He makes some decent points but ultimately it's not very convincing. They always conveniently leave out important facts like when talking about toppers, nothing was said about the limited edition toppers like star wars or Elvira that have contributed to the problem. It's all spin with this guy. Somehow the Batman SLE circus was a good thing. And it sounds like they're priming the audience to get ready for higher prices based on wood and steel costs. It's funny how he crapped all over haggis pinball for using a plastic playfield surface, but then says later that Stern is looking into other materials... But only because wood is so expensive right now. The man is quite a salesman.

I haven't listened yet but read some on TWIP...was he talking about Haggis or was he talking about the flexible playfield sheets installed post delivery. Seems it was the latter as he was referring to raising bumper and sling heights, which would be accomodated already for on the Haggis pin but not on the playfield protectors

#8262 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

that is not the impression I got, not even close. To me it sounded honest and to the point. When you have scientific tests showing you the damage a metal ball does in wood, there is nothing else to argue or debate. It is like beating a dead horse.
I also work with wood and understand it well enough to know that what he is saying is true as well.

We might be talking about different things here (or maybe you meant to quote someone elses response), I was talking about the post above and the playfield plastics reference, not dimpling. I personally don't care about dimpling and accept it as part of the hobby

Quoted from seenev:

...all over haggis pinball for using a plastic playfield surface

This is what he said about the playfield (I think he is referring to the Playfield Protectors and not the Haggis solution but you never know - but he does say Europe and not Australia)

George Gomez: You can make it work, those guys in Europe put the plastic on the playfields, which by the way I think is absolutely atrocious. We spend so much time trying to make a pinball machine feel the way it does and shoot the way it does. And then these guys come and add a sixteenth of an inch and everybody says “oh, it’s just a couple millimeters”…yeah I know, but the position of your drop target or your standup target or your ramp flap, whatever, relative to the – you didn’t move the target up, so the ball is hitting the target at a different place, at a different height…[and] on the plastic, the ball tends to slide as opposed to roll on certain shots. When it skips, forget about it…it is a wild ball. That is the issue with the polycarbonate solution.

#8265 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I thought he just got haggis' location wrong. I guess that makes sense that he's talking about playfield protectors, though Stern is no stranger to veiled digs at their competitors so I still think he's aiming at haggis a little bit as well.

Could be, that is a form of polycarbonate on the Haggis field right?

#8387 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Did they note the Playfield date? As they were building CE games for many months it’s likely (not justified) that is a dec/Jan Playfield.

Where would I find the playfield date commonly on a JJP? I have a 4/21 build as well

#8392 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I thought they normally stamp the playfield date on the edge of the wood. Someone may know more specifically.

Thanks, found it on the top edge pf the playfield

April 21 Build

Jan 21 Playfield

Screenshot_20210520-151304_Video Player (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210520-151304_Video Player (resized).jpg
#8396 2 years ago
Quoted from mostater:

Bublehead, how long does it take the clearcoat to cure and harden so that it doesn't pool? 4 months seems more than sufficient but perhaps not??

Is it possible that the game is putting out enough heat that the clearcoat becomes malleable again and starts to pool?

No, it doesn't get that warm. It does take considerable heat (heat iron/gun) for it to melt to flatten the pooled areas

3 weeks later
#8735 2 years ago

I think GnR is a fantastic flow game. Multiple inner loop to simultaneous multi ramp combos, staging balls on the flippers, while holding a ball on the upper playfield to either time the VUK, the lock or the lights target, multiple combos as an example.. I love the subtlety and smoothness of the flippers, able to do all sorts of flipper tricks for different scoring strategies. Love the game after I washered up, no further damage 1000 plays post PETG clears. My game looks beautiful after I ironed out the pooling.
Stilll one of the best out there.

1 week later
#8907 2 years ago
Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

I would like some feedback from the group. Is this normal? I have pooling around posts and art cracking near the backstage. Regarding this photo I was told:
"This needs to be tightened down good, otherwise the upper flipper shot will push the ball rail back, causing the right orbit shot not to go to the left flipper."
My problem with this is if I run my finger around it I can feel it starting to pool around this item in the back, which means it will pool further and possibly crack correct?
[quoted image]

Mine looked just like that. Cary Hardy used one of my pics in his video. Follow my guide here. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/226#post-6338289

You DON'T have to crank it down. In fact you can use a little larger metal washer than the factory (with a larger hole - keeps the rail centered where you tighten it). When tightening, use your hand and hold the guide firmly while tightening from below on the nut. Do some test rolls with the playfield flat and keep repositioning until you get a perfect roll off the rail to the left flipper. It takes some trial and error but once you find the sweet spot, make it hand tight and you're good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11,000.00
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fooflighter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=fooflighter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.