IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flipstream.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3095 4 years ago

My NIB JP3 Pro was just delivered today, the date on the back of the cabinet is Sept 7, 2019. There is art spacing around the posts and no pooling that I can see. I can feel a very slight edge near the inserts, but nothing otherwise. I don't have any comparison points so I can't say if it's a thick or thin clear coat...

#3120 4 years ago

Figured I would snap a few pics of my Pro playfield this morning as a comparison for everyone on the thread. Next Level received stock on Nov 6th and I happened to purchase the same day, the table was delivered to my house Nov 11th. My cabinet's date is Sept 7, 2019.

Upper flipper postUpper flipper post

Raptor cage right front postsRaptor cage right front posts

Upper playfield from between the slingsUpper playfield from between the slings

I can feel a very slight edge between the table artwork and inserts, as well as the insert plastic and insert center art/label edges. No pooling that I can find.

1 month later
#3459 4 years ago
Quoted from BigSilverPin:

I received a new LE wonka in october. no pooling but really bad dimpling. I am figuring this is why

Yep, my JP Pro has thinner clear. Now that I've had it for a month or so there's some pretty obvious dimples and I can see woodgrain texturing when the light hits the playfield right. It's going to take a while for the dimpling to "even out" since it doesn't see a ton of games. At some point I'll end up having to get it sanded and re-cleared professionally.

1 month later
#4389 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yet the to date OEM fix has been to remove the art from under said points and it appears to be working...

That, and a thinner clearcoat application.

#4431 4 years ago

Under 300 plays on my Pro, build date Sept 7. Easily visible dimpling, but not nearly as bad as some of the other pictures in this thread. All three of these pictures were taken with the glass on. No special lighting, only the light from the backglass and LCD is shining off the playfield.

Standing height pictureStanding height picture
Glass levelGlass level
Alternate glass levelAlternate glass level

#4433 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Completely normal..

I don't like it in a control freak/OCD way, but I accept it is normal. Pinballs are a lot denser than wood and clear-coat.

#4442 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Please name and shame the distro. I don't want to do business with any distributor that doesn't help the customer after the sale, and neither should anyone else. Of course all sales are final, barring a major or game-breaking defect, but good distributors will go out of their way to help make things right. As best they can anyway. There are too many good distros out there to do business with a bad one.

In parallel, does Stern know who the distributor is? If Stern keeps getting an earful from a certain distributor's sales, that could color their future dealings.

#4443 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Why doesn't my 25 year old STTNG look like that then?

For the same reason my TZ doesn't: They don't make 'em like they used to.

#4446 4 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Honestly, the only reason this bothers me is that it hurts the resale value, I still think the game looks great overall.

Yes and no. If all used machines are the same way, it essentially becomes an "accepted thing" and wouldn't really impact the valuation between similar condition tables.

Quoted from iloveplywood:

Where did the whole evening out thing come from anyway -- was Steve Ritchie being sarcastic, trolling us? It seems like the most patently ridiculous theory I've ever heard. Do people really believe this?

Quote from Stern's JP Pro game manualcover page, emphasis added:

Each pinball machine has unique characteristics that make it a one-of-a-kind American made product. Each will have variations in appearance resulting from differences in the machine’s particular wood parts, individual printed art and mechanical assemblies. No playfield is perfectly flat and varies depending on the season.
Game play will result in playfield dimpling as the harder steel ball contacts the wood and coating; over time multiple dimples will blend to make them less noticeable.Normal plastic insert crazing (tiny stress cracks) and ghosting (small cloudy areas around insert edges) are often seen in pinball machines, due to a combination of plastic mold stress, pushing of inserts into purposely undersized holes, and heating and breaking of inserts’ plastic “skin” when the playfield is sanded.

#4484 4 years ago

newwebsite2 (resized).jpgnewwebsite2 (resized).jpg

#4493 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

You're being even a bit too kind here!

(Poor) artistic licensing, heh.

I wonder if I can get this put on a shirt...

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 weeks later
#4754 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Any Word on what the uv does to all the plastic clearcoat etc over time?

Fully depends on the overall strength of the UV LEDs, how long they stay on, and if Stern incorporated products with light stabilizers.

Potential effects? Yellowing in a poly-based clear coat, yellowing or brittleness of polymer plastics, faster-perishing rubber (Superbands especially since they are polyurethane), and playfield and cabinet color fading over time. Not to mention potential player health risks to eyes and skin, although the overall player UV exposure could be pretty low since the player is standing and the LEDs would theoretically be pointing at the table and not outward towards the player.

#4757 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not an expert, but you’re not going to get a tan from these lights is what I’m getting at. Haha. They are just the right hue to make the art appear.
I think.

It depends on the UV LEDs being used. If they are higher Wattage or there are a lot of them, it can be harmful to your skin or your eyes over time, possibly even brief exposure if they are bright enough. The added danger is that we can't see UV light wavelengths, so we can't sense low vs high-intensity UV light as we can with other visible light sources like sunlight. Unless Stern releases more specs and the number of the LEDs they are using, I'd pass on this upgrade myself if I owned the table. Or maybe look into UV filtering playfield glass, if such a thing exists.

#4832 4 years ago
Quoted from fnord:

Enhanced playfield techniques

Optimized manufacturing processes.

#4866 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

...and you'd hear a lot less complaining about dimpling and chipping.

Doubtful...

2 weeks later
#5001 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

But what is important is when the was playfield made, not when the machine was assembled. You could have a machine assembled in November with a playfield made much earlier or not.

And I have the reverse situation, my JP Pro cabinet has a late September date and a newer playfield with thinner clear.

6 months later
#6525 3 years ago

A:IQ Pro, day two on location:
Post fell out mid gamePost fell out mid game

Dimpling doesn't seem to be as deep as JP, though. More what I would typically expect and way less noticable:
Typical dimples, look near Thanos' mode light on the upper leftTypical dimples, look near Thanos' mode light on the upper left

#6533 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Post allready break off the dr strange mech?

It didn't break, it just came loose when I was playing so I shut it off and let the folks running the place know. Apparently it's the second time it happened on this machine in two days. The screw comes up from the underside of the spinner plastic and the nylon locking nut is up top.

Underside of AIQ Pro spinner mechUnderside of AIQ Pro spinner mech

Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

That mech does not look like it will last, wait until the LEs and Prems get into owners hands and on site

The screw head is already difficult to hold in place on the Pro without dismantling the whole assembly. Apparently it's a bigger PITA to fix on Prem/LE models because the lift mech makes it even harder to get to the post screwhead.

Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

With the speed of nowadays machines, that post is going to be a real issue.
Is it just me or does the playfield seems to be "ribbled" just under the Thor Multi Ball" insert?

The upper flipper is right next to the spinner which is the easiest way to rip the spinner to charge up the portal.

You can't tell as easily from this pic, but there are sunken lighted inserts on the Pro. They don't look bad at all playing, this is just weird lighting angles from the backglass.

3 weeks later
#6663 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

100% agree.... but still going to wait to buy any NIB.
I am in no hurry to buy anything

Very small sample size, but the PF on my new Hot Wheels looks amazing. No pooling, no grain, and no crazing on inserts.

3 months later
#7768 3 years ago

I just received an E-Mail notice from UPS they are delivering a shipment from Stern tomorrow. I suspect this is the unpopulated playfield replacement they OKed at the end of November last year for my A:IQ.

#7770 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yikes that took a while.

Yes, although Stern was still on early A:IQ runs at the time, said they couldn't give an ETA, and the damage is ugly but cosmetic so lower urgency. I was going to send a follow-up E-Mail this week to see if they had a better idea on an ETA, I guess they beat me to it.

It was nice to have Stern do the right thing without giving me any hassle. Only a few E-Mails back and forth to provide pictures and info before I got the replacement and approval a day or two later. It's not a populated playfield, but I'm OK with unpopulated given the options and potential benefits a NIB playfield gives me in the future.

4 months later
#8944 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So they know of the problem but not implementing a simple washer fix on ball guides?!?!?

Apparently Deadpool, TMNT, A:IQ, and now Mando hasn't been enough times to figure out it's a problem.

Maybe they're thinking they solved it with how the guides are inserted and the washers aren't needed anymore? I don't get it, avoiding a handfull of replacement PFs is more than going to offset the parts and labor costs of always putting washers under rail inserts. Or better yet, bake them into the rails so it's really easy for the assembly line.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 91.00
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flipstream.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=flipstream and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.