IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider extraballz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 4 years ago

I hate to say this but I advise everyone buying a used pin made in the last 3-5 years to ask if there is any PF pooling/bubbling or chippping. That way you are covered if you receive a pin with these issues. If the pin manufacturers think people are mad now just wait till a lot of these defective machines hit the used market and people don’t want to buy them even at a big discount. So much for pins holding their value. To me this PF issue is the worst thing to hit modern pinball. Going to get ugly.....

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

I doubt the washers will prevent the pooling/bubbling. It might make it take longer but I think it will still happen. I have bubbling on posts that have washers installed on my Iron Maiden Pro.

I,ll take it a step further and say these manufacturers are only putting down those ugly washers because they are well aware of the pooling. Trying to hide the problem long enough to get out of warranty maybe. Give me a break. I,m going to get my pitchfork......

#154 4 years ago
7EACCF0F-9EF7-4506-B390-206BE53FEF44 (resized).png7EACCF0F-9EF7-4506-B390-206BE53FEF44 (resized).png
#166 4 years ago

“Hey they are noticing the bad clear on our playfields “
“ They are?”
“Yes I bunch of pooling and chipped PF pics are going up online”
“ Just release a new code update to distract them”
“Will do”

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Dang, look at that shiny clear!!!!!

Yup high quality wood and clear still exists. Question is do you pay for it.......

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

“Hey they are noticing the bad clear on our playfields “
“ They are?”
“Yes I bunch of pooling and chipped PF pics are going up online”
“ Just release a new code update to distract them”
“Will do”

And JJP’s new WW code update just dropped.....

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yes and no. If there is some way to complete the curing process quickly and completely, maybe the damage will be not get worse. People have reported that the clear seems to be still soft.

If the mix/process is not correct the clear will never cure to a hard surface. I doubt this is a curing issue.

#264 4 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Wow.
I was big in the hobby - 30 ish A List pins from 2000-2016. Sold 90% off and did great on every sale. Kept an original MB and MM and of course, Tron LE.
The thing I’m thinking is will any of these games be desirable in the second hand market? Also, forget about making some money like in the past. I would think every model from base to super duper CE LE won’t get back 75% of their purchase prices.
If I do comeback, I’ll only be looking for the pins that have a clean history.
Furthermore, you guys really need to stop buying these inferior products since it gives manufacturers no desire to fix issues.

This is similar to my story. I was big into pinball in the mid 80s to early 2000s. I come back in after being out 15 years and see all these quality issues with pins. The clear issue was the kicker. A game of physics played with a steel ball crashing around can only be watered down so much as far as quality materials. Obviously manufacturers have ignored this and now will probably reap what they sow.

#429 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

This is just speculation. I think it's an automation problem.
They are spraying on the playfields and need the solution sprayable thru nozzles. Hence they want a thinner fluid.
It's like concrete, the more water you mix in, the easier distribution, however it will not be strong enough.

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that huge dollars where spent on new tech and equipment for a new way to clear PFs. So much money that it would be hard to admit it doesn’t work and walk away. This is the type of situation in business when you might keep putting defective product out the door. All the while knowing it is not working. Pinball R&D certainly has gone backwards in recent years.

#482 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah but those things are awesome [quoted image]

Your post is quite ironic in that just because a pin is pretty doesn’t mean the hood won’t always be up. Like in your pic.

#519 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

According to the TWIP podcast - they had on people from Poor Man's Podcast and he actually works in the industry
- washers may help, but underlying issue is still there and could get worse in other areas
- if it's not cured and hard by the time we get them - they are never going to get hard and most likely clear was not mixed correctly
- if it's soft now, it's always going to be soft

I’ve been saying for three months it’s a mix/process issue.

#526 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Everyone knows exactly what the warranty is on playfields. They are not covered.
Any remedy is outside of warranty. You should have a conversation with your distributor and discuss your concerns and how a problem might be handled BEFORE you have an issue. Get it in writing if you're the cautious type.

Thing is Stern has sent out populated PFs for similar issues. Now there is precedent on the matter. So now Stern and JJP have to show their response to the clear issue around the same time. What do you think JJP customers are going to do when they see Stern send out populated PFs? They will lose their ****. And for good reason. At that point I would mention lawsuit cause JJPs lawyers would tell them they have no chance of winning this one.

#529 4 years ago

Not under warranty. People looking for resolution need to remove that word from the conversation. The warranty is printed in every manual I've looked at and it doesn't cover playfields.
Yes, companies have 'taken care of' customers outside of warranty. Without that written warranty we're all left mostly guessing what is covered, for how long, and under what conditions.
It might be helpful to get organized. Decide what to call the defects, document who has them, how many, and on what machines. Affected purchasers could post photos, your distributors could refer to those when dealing with the manufacturers.

Agreed. Though not technically under warranty the optics of Stern resolving this issue by sending populated PFs while JJP doesn’t will absolutely kill JJPs reputation. I know Stern has sent out some populated PFs in the past and it didn’t ruin JJP but this time it is front and center in the Pinball world. Many seem to be affected and how could those people be expected to forgive JJP if they don’t get what Stern offers to its customers. In some cases JJP pins are double the price of Stern.

#533 4 years ago

I think I see enough in there to expect coverage. The PF is a part. And it is defective.

#537 4 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Unbelievable, as soon as Stern regains the confidence of the community after the Ghostbusters saga, it starts happening again!

Here’s an idea. How about Stern gets its quality back up to say Lord of the Rings. And JJP gets its quality back up to the Hobbit. That’s a start. If I am being honest these quality issues with JJP and Stern really have me rooting for Spooky,CGC,American etc to take a bigger piece of the pie. Now better quality might be something those pin companies can tout over the top two.
Competition is good. It breeds innovation, builds better quality and holds accountable those who take advantage.

#604 4 years ago

Seems crazy to me that I can’t seem to get a Stern with a PF that has the quality of Lord of the Rings. And a JJP with a PF that has the quality of the Hobbit which I think was their best PF attempt overall. Think about that for a minute. Going backwards on purpose. Why would they do this. I’m guessing to save money. For those who say it is not the manufacturers fault because you can’t make a good PF today due to regulations well Spooky just proved that theory wrong. Those with machines on route and tournament players will let the pin companies off the hook for poor build quality. I hope these pin companies have the numbers with those two groups to make their business model work because they are going to lose a lot of collectors if this is the new level of quality in pinball. They are way behind the quality they had just 7-10 years ago. Something is very wrong when that happens.

#615 4 years ago

I think you're way of base thinking it's on purpose. Can you tell me how you decided that?

I guess because it’s obvious that cost cutting for more profit has been going on for some time now. Especially for Stern. The manufacturers know what things are inferior to what they once were. So you have good clear on Hobbit and you change something? Smells like more cost cutting. So yes I feel the drop in quality including PFs is on purpose. They think. How far can we push the envelope on cost cutting to increase profit. Well guess what. That ballon just popped. People aren’t even asking for better quality really. That are asking for the build quality they had 10 years ago. We all know we could have at least that if the manufacturers wanted to put quality over highest profit margin. They must think people are dumb. It’s time for the chickens to come home to roost. These manufacturers have been pushing their luck for years.

#629 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I think the right term is "blistering". Sounds nasty. That's because it is.

I just call it DEFECTIVE

#685 4 years ago

Thank you for your response. I disagree on several points. Cost cutting and more profit are not things that happen once in a while. They are an everyday part of doing business. They are neither bad or unusual, all successful companies do both of them routinely.
I think what you mean is this quality issue can be directly attributed to a specific decision to lower quality to save money. I don't think anyone has a good reason to believe that. If you have evidence, please present it.

Ask operators like ltg if things overall are inferior.

Not necessarily. They may be working with a vendor that provides playfields or clearcoat services. Those vendors may have a common supplier that made changes to THEIR formula, unannounced. One possibility why you're seeing issues with multiple manufacturers.
It's absurd to think both JJP and Stern decided to cut costs and purposefully lower quality on playfields. Beyond ridiculous. No businessperson would make such a change without thorough testing. To suggest multiple manufacturers did so, on purpose, to save tens of dollars on a playfield defies logic. More likely there is a new process that was a lot faster but has unforeseen issues.

The above is just rhetoric. This is a quality issue (probably multiple issues with different causes) with ZERO evidence to suggest it's a purposeful move done to save money at the expense of quality. You're trying to whip yourself into an emotional frenzy. You're not a mob. Put away the pitchforks and the hangman's noose. There will be no lynching here today.

So you are saying all these quality issues we are seeing on modern games including clearcoat are a result of bad luck in new processes and not a direct result of cost cutting? Cheaper wood, cheaper metals, cheaper plastics. These are things we know are inferior to past machines and they are because of cost cutting. Maybe the clearcoat issue was bad luck but they knew about it and did nothing. You can only lower quality so far until you reach a breaking point with customers. You are witnessing that now. I am looking at manufacturers other than JJP and STERN because of their dropping quality. Cost cutting leading to obvious lower quality is why I am looking elsewhere. It is possible you are too close to this to be objective.....or good at lying to yourself. Either way you are not talking me and others out of our positions. They are logical reasonable positions. Truth is some like you just don’t want to hear it.

#689 4 years ago

Collectors are a fickle bunch. Push your luck too much and you can lose a lot of them and fast. Also high quality is important to a lot of collectors. They like lots of things built with high quality and have a good eye for quality. The notion that you had to be an operator of pins in the 90s to understand the quality of the machines today is quite silly to me. People who know quality can easily see where something has been downgraded over time. If and it’s a big if another pin company comes along with a higher quality product a percentage of collectors will go there. That’s in some collectors nature. If some of these companies don’t mind losing people that’s fine. But they better hope the percentage isn’t too high or it will really effect their bottom line and kill all that profit gained by cost cutting. Good luck to Stern and JJP but I am out until they bring their quality back up.

#893 4 years ago

Still waiting for the Steve Richie in sunglasses video saying this is normal and has always been acceptable. Again.....

#1033 4 years ago

BINGO. Winner winner chicken dinner!
Right from the horse's mouth
If it's not done right, your game is kinda worthless....
Down the line if we accept the current situation, what happens when it chips and peels.
I don't want jjp or stern to go out of business, but they need to be liable for defective products. The size of your company doesn't give you a pass on manufacturing defects.
I do trust that they will get these issues fixed now that the community has made a stand. But, it's how they take care of those already effected that sort of matters more to me.

That video is incredibly damning for Jack. He said the PF is the whole machine. Backing up those who call the PF the heart of every machine. That video alone would sink Jack if there ever was a court case. I would tell Jack I wanted a populated PF or refund on my whole machine. And I would send that video clip to him. These manufacturers are unbelievable. And it looks like it finally caught up to them. Good for the customers. I would keep pushing to be made whole by JJP.

#1081 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Plus the business was booming in the early 90's. They were selling 20k machines for some models. They could afford to build them better.

You could buy a NIB Adams Family for around 2K. I find it very hard to believe a 90s W/B quality pin couldn’t be made for 10K.

#1233 4 years ago

Well I am glad this clear issue on Sterns isn’t widespread like they said. Geez.

#1271 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

Called my distributor yesterday when he wanted final payment for jp2 LE. I asked him his position and what he’s heard. Stern is STILL saying 7 or 8 documented cases.....

Stern must have meant they only had a documented clear issue on 7 or 8 Machines.

JP2
BK2
Beatles
Munsters
IM
Met
GOTG

I miss any? Crazy what these manufacturers have been trying to get away with.

#1404 4 years ago

I won’t even think the issue has been resolved until I see machines going out without those f****** washers on it. It is an admission of guilt having those washers under the posts.

#1421 4 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

That sounds like an easy fix... only thing i would say is don’t expect the playfield to be bulletproof. CGC/Spooky used a higher quality wood and process than is too be expected of stern

Does CGC/Spooky really use better wood in their playfields? If so good for them. Competition is good for quality. Step it up Stern.

#1454 4 years ago

So same clear but it will be tougher to notice around post? What about the rest of the playfield? Why do I have bad feeling someone invested big money in a new clear system and they don’t want to abandon it. I still don’t feel confident. Would be nice to actually hear what they are doing formula wise. I know...I know. Admitting guilt.

#1456 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

I really don't think it's a clear issue, to me it has always looked like an adhesion between artwork and wood. Things that support that theory:
- Pictures of bubbling/pooling/ripples always show the artwork coming up with the clear
- Stern & Mirco(JJP) both having this issue, using a direct artwork digital print technique
- CGC not having the issue, and last I've seen is they still use screened printing
While I can't find the reference, I've also seen posted on here where Stern quit using CGC for the playfield printing about 18-24 months ago to do their own, and the timing of these issues starting around the same time.
All these point to the digital ink having some kind of adhesion issue from the digital process, probably due to the specific type of ink being used by these digital printers. That digital ink is probably not designed to such a high stress usage printed onto a surface that continues to contract & expand over it's life.
I do agree with you it would be nice to get some kind of confirmation of what actually did happen once the smoke clears (no pun intended)....

It very well is an ink adhesion and clear issue. The clear is soft and you can put a nail in it. That’s not correct for clearcoat.

#1511 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Yeah, I thought DPs were supposed to be good, darn.

But Stern said this wasn’t widespread.............

#1558 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was thinking of a simpler solution.
Go back to using quality materials and the tried and true method.
[quoted image]

Amen
Seems like this is what Spooky did which is bad optics for those who decide not to do so and still have subpar PFs

1 week later
#1959 4 years ago

Pooling without chipping still denotes a clear that is too soft and not up to the reasonable standard in PF clear through the years of pinball. That would mean the clear is defective/bad/wrong. Use whatever word you like but customers should not have to settle on a NIB machine with clear not meeting a common sense standard based on many many years of pins with good clear.

#1973 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

He accused me of it earlier so I’m just having fun with it.
Thinking more about your view point, I’ll say this:
You have an unrealistic level of expectation from Stern.
They have clearly stated that playfields are not under warranty.
You insist on a perfect playfield.
Neither of you is “wrong” but you have not agreed on this matter.
You appear to feel that Stern is obligated/indebted to provide perfect playfields and that anything less than 100% should be replaced at their expense. Remember that this is Stern pinball we’re talking about. It’s not Sony, Apple, or Toyota.
Yes, they are the biggest pinball manufacturer, but this is an industry that most people don’t even know exists.
There are no Ferrari’s in the parking lot.
Given this inability to agree on a perfect playfield, it’s really best for you to avoid buying new in box, and instead to wait and buy a second hand game that you can inspect, ensuring it’s to your satisfaction.
There’s nothing wrong with that, and it’s not meant to belittle or insult you so I hope you can appreciate the observation.
Quite frankly, it shouldn’t matter one bit to me. But I get annoyed when some people (not saying you), can’t understand that Stern is already offering more than they have committed to, and then try to call them out for lying, sweeping things under the rug, etc etc. They may not be operating to your level of expectation, but that doesn’t mean that they’re deceitful or doing anything wrong.

In all fairness your avatar pic does look a lot like Steve Richie from behind.

#2023 4 years ago

Not covering the playfield under warranty will only hurt Stern long term. Many,many people just won’t buy NIB from them. That’s not going to hurt Sterns bottom line. I doubt that.

1 week later
#2364 4 years ago

It is completely reasonable to expect a pin I buy in 2019 has at least the quality of one made in the 1990’s. These companies making subpar pins these days are an embarrassment to what made in USA used to mean.

2 weeks later
#2723 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Here's a relic of a lunchbox from 1992. Almost 30 years old now. I know, around here that probably makes it super modern.
But looks like the the playfield is still holding up fairly well.
[quoted image]

The lunchbox has better art than the new JP.

#2769 4 years ago

Rooting for everyone but Stern and JJP right now. Hope the smaller companies steal a whole bunch of sales from Stern and JJP. That’s what they deserve for putting out subpar quality machines.

#2786 4 years ago

Take away all the hype that Stern creates and you are left with machines of a very low quality compared to pins of the last 30 years. I hope they lose a lot of customers to the companies that are making better quality pins. Maybe then Stern will make games like LOTR again. I honestly think the games of the last few years have been junk quality wise.

#2875 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

So Stern finally replied. They said they are willing to send me an unpopulated Playfield.

What happened to sending out populated PFs? That is what Stern did before with similar issues. Stern has watered down just about every part of a pinball machine and now they water down their PF replacement policy. I wouldn’t give them my money. No way.

#2900 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

I think Jersey Jack set the precedent and so Stern decided to follow suit.

No I would say Stern actually sent precedent by giving out populated PF’s in the past well before Jersey Jack ever sent out anything. Stern just used what Jersey Jack did recently to stop giving populated PF’s. What Stern is now saying to customers is “we used to do the right thing but because another company chose to do the wrong thing we will just do that now”. Unreal folks.

#2901 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

There was no playfield policy to “water down”. It was always/is a case by case decision. One distributor told me they are more apt to replace a playfield on an LE vs Pro or Premium, but that’s certainly not a policy.

Fine then Stern already set precedent by giving out populated PF’s in the past for defective playfields. Stern is hoping for people who don’t know that fact. It’s a joke. A bad bad joke.

#2903 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I get your frustration, but it's unclear if JJP's decision has anything to do with Stern. I imagine the background is more complex. Let's be clear, the ability for ANY manufacturer to offer populated playfield replacements is dependent on HOW MANY populated PF's are being requested. If PF issues/defects have become more common, then it becomes a larger "business decision" for any company! The obvious solution is building fewer defective products
In other domains (unrelated to pinball), I've received "replacement compensation" for product defects. With the advent of social media, it's become common for companies to ask you to sign non-disclosure agreements! (to limit exposure and precedent). The idea that companies will "take care" of you if you don't disclose the defect/compensation is kind of slimy, but is the new normal in many industries (unfortunately).

Stern knows it should replace the defective PF’s with populated ones. Know how I know.......cause that’s exactly what they used to do. And no that would be incorrect to say the ability to replace defective products is dependent on how many defective products. That’s why you don’t put out defective products.Because a group of angry customers could take up a case action lawsuit against you. And since Stern already set a type of precedent by giving out populated PF’s for defective ones they would definitely lose that case. You tell me how they would explain that away. No frustration here. Just truth.

#2974 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I don’t know anything about your older playfield,but the ones that are on the line now are good!

You don’t know this for sure so why do you keep saying this. Can’t tell if everything is right with the clear until these new machines get a bunch of plays on them and stand up over time.

1 month later
#3460 4 years ago

So Stern started using thicker bad clearcoat to make sure they had as much space as possible between the steel ball and their downgraded soft ass wood playfields? That caused pooling and chipping. So now they go back to a thin layer of bad clearcoat which exposes their cheap soft ass wood PFs with craters. They haven’t fixed anything. Stern makes the lowest quality pins on the market and they are playing all the pinheads like a fiddle. Those buying Sterns are being taken IMO. But hey at least your current FOMO is gone.........until the next sub par release.

#3463 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

God forbid you criticize Stern on here. The defense team will attack soon. I would totally buy a Jurassic Premium, but not with the current quality hell no.

Bring on the defense team. Most of them have trouble being objective because
A. They own a bunch of Sterns and have a lot of money tied up in machines
B. Are operators who rely on Stern for new machines to excite their customers
C. Are tournament players who have pinball as the biggest part of their personality and Stern is top dog sponsoring tournaments. Don’t bite the hand that feeds.

I just judge the current pins against those I played and owned in the 90s. It’s pretty obvious the current Sterns are sub par machines. And who actually cares who the Stern talent is when they have the lowest budget in the business and the designers can’t really do what they want in designing a pin. Stern is mostly hype with very little substance. By hey they make the most machines so they must make the best.........

#3470 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Seems like you have it all figured out!
How do you "judge" JP2 against all the games you've owned/played?
From my perspective, gameplay needs to be factored into "quality". A perfectly built game (with no dimples and perfect clear isn't very exciting if the gameplay is BORING. I've owned a HEP CCC and PMD TOTAN and sold them because the gameplay was BORING.
I can't stop playing JP2 and think it's one of the best shooting games of all time. The shots available to the right upper flipper are just awesome.
Since Stern currently produces the most games (by far), it's not surprising they produce some duds. As they know very well, it takes a spectrum of games to satisfy a pretty diverse customer base. Casual players don't like the same games as fanatics that play every day.

First let me say I appreciate you recognizing I have it all figured out. As for how I feel about your generic dinosaur game. It is a good shooter but has low quality, little to no assets and the art package is sub par. Maybe you don’t understand how many collectors of high priced items operate. The highest of quality is expected.. Cars ,watches, motorcycles or most other mech items. Doesn’t matter. Most serious collectors expect high quality. With Stern you can clearly see where they dropped quality for profit margin. That can be a deal breaker for some who would own something expensive. So no gameplay is not factored into quality. They are completely separate and for some if the high quality is not there they don’t want to own it. Play at a barcade sure.....but not to own.

#3479 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

It's interesting that you/Extraballz have been on Pinside for <1 year and like making broad, dramatic assertions about being "shunned as anti-pinball".
FWIW, I totally respect folks who are enraged by some of the issues (and stand on the sidelines if that's what comforts you). In fact, I've slowed by NIB purchases and try and buy used (a situation that removes some of the NIB "risk"). The world isn't black and white, and it wouldn't hurt to respect folks that arguably have years of combat experience with Stern products!

You seem to be the only one calling people names. You don’t like what you are hearing and are throwing a fit over it. I am sure plenty of folks here can see that. You don’t like my argument on things how about a logical counter argument. Nope your going to call people pretentious and dramatic. My substance vs your substance. Let’s see if you can actually do that. You are just trying to discredit people because you can’t win the argument. People will see this.

#3485 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

No fit. Name calling is different that characterizing your post (which was wildly pretentious by any metric).

I have been on this forum for less than 1 year but I have been on other Internet forums for over 10 years. I have seen every tactic there is for when someone will try to discredit someone or silence someone because they can’t win the argument. This is what you are attempting in this thread with me right now. I advise you try to win on the merits of the argument instead of trying to win on some sort of half assed technicality like discredit or shame. BTW “ wildly pretentious “? You sure I am the dramatic one?

#3490 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Merit's of your argument?
Schooling us about what affluent people expect from misc. purchases is arguably/wildly pretentious.
Here is what you said (verbatim): "Maybe you don’t understand how many collectors of high priced items operate. The highest of quality is expected.. Cars ,watches, motorcycles or most other mech items. Doesn’t matter. Most serious collectors expect high quality.").
This has 0 to do with pinball!

I am not affluent nor was I speaking about affluent people. People who buy old muscle cars care about high quality. When things are made with things like metal and wood the quality of those materials matter greatly. Most serious collectors of high dollar mechanical items care about high quality. They should care. Pinball seems to be one of the rare cases of where some or many people are excepting low quality for a high dollar mechanical item. Again throwing in the word affluent to try to make me look like some ultra rich out of touch person. The look guys he is not one of us forum tactic to discredit. How about you try and tell me how Stern’s quality hasn’t actually gone down and here are the facts to prove that. I call it like I see it and I see lower quality and less assets as prices climb.

#3533 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

They "realized" it after many customers pushed for change (me being one of them). I am not shy about emailing Stern executives about my experiences with their products. My recommendation to other Pinsiders is send feedback directly to Stern and your distributor. Venting on Pinside is therapeutic, however not as effective as thoughtful, direct correspondence with Stern management (like the new QA director, for example). Use videos and photos to tell your story. If enough people engage with Stern, I'm hopeful the pendulum can swing back to sanity.

I am sure you are a nice guy and I don’t want you to think I have it in for you but man do you have this whole thing completely backwards. IMO the ONLY thing that has made Stern reverse course or consider fixing a defect is PUBLIC outcry on forums and podcasts. What you want is actually what Stern wants. Everything hidden so when they do nothing no one knows any different. Stern just hopes the fact they release a shiny new object every 4 months or so will just shift attention from the problems with their previous release to FOMO over the new release. For the last 10 years Stern’s business model is to continue to cut cost in order to increase profit. And it shows with the obvious decline in the quality of their machines.

Telling people to not speak up publicly is the absolute worst thing you could tell consumers to do in today’s day and age if they want companies to do right by them. I have to wonder if people realize just how little respect a pin company has to have for its customer base to knowingly put out machines with bad PFs. Stern and JJP know damn well that the playfield is the MOST important piece of every pin. It is absolutely disgraceful. And people should stay quiet and politely email Stern? These quality issues by Stern and JJP are not unknown to the companies involved. They know what they are doing and are just seeing what they can get away with all in the name of higher profits. Not only should people speak publicly they should speak more often. The next best thing to not buying a NIB from Stern or JJP is a threat that you won’t buy if things don’t change. Those pictures on public forums of bad PFs are probably the most effective way to get peoples point across to these pin companies. Don’t listen to those who try and silence you. They are misguided.

#3544 4 years ago

Stern has the best manufacturing plant in the business by a long shot. Yet they currently make the lowest quality pins in the business. Think about that for a minute. The low quality going out the door isn’t as simple as the QC dept missing things. The cut cost for larger and larger profits is absolutely deliberate. They know exactly what they are doing and don’t seem to care what their customers think. Money is king. Stern just wants it’s customers to think about theme and code. Of course they do. Those two things are subjective and no real answers can be reached. Stern doesn’t want to talk about materials used now compared to the past or number of mechs/features now compared to the past. On those subjects real answers can be reached because it is not subjective.

#3545 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

You are mischaracterizing my comments on many levels. For example, I never said anything should be hidden.
Listen, I could care less if you like me OR have it in for me. Please move on...you aren't adding any value whatsoever. Just more drama/BS.

But someone like you who’s views about how to deal with Stern are clearly part of the problem should be free to speak. Give me a break.

#3549 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'm part of the problem? Why? Because I still buy Stern products and hold them accountable for the quality of what I've received (on both Pinside and in private communication). The more you speak, the more you show your ignorance. As I said, please move on.

Trying to encourage people to not speak publicly about their issues is certainly part of the problem. Go back and read some of what you wrote man. You have respect for those who stay on the sidelines. Venting on Pinside is therapeutic but will have no effect on Stern. Send a polite email and they will listen. You are obviously more worried about Sterns well being over the poor customers who have been screwed. You have switched from trying to discredit me because I haven’t been a member here long enough to have a legitimate view or I am affluent ( still trying to figure out how that discredits someone) to just telling me to stop talking. You have some nerve. I advise you stop trying to silence people.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3600 4 years ago

Nobody is getting perfect playfields from Stern. I don’t believe it for a second. Some might have their issues delayed a bit but I don’t believe they got a good playfield while others got a crap one. The materials and process are flawed so all playfields will have issues at some point. All Stern did was start with thin defective clear which led to ridiculous dimpling. Then they went to a thicker defective clear which led to pooling and chipping. So they say to themselves well we got away with the obscene dimpling before so let’s just go back to that. Steve Richie told everyone dimpling was normal and they actually bought it so we go back to where we were before the thick clear. Nothing has been fixed.....

#3697 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Not all playfields handle or show the same, new, old, and reproduction. For reference, the Road Show is HUO, lighting helps to show what is there. And for the record, I am not saying all playfields of any of these machines would/do look the same.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are these all original playfields? Any repros in the mix?

#3705 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

That is precisely what I saw on a new Elvira LE last week. Thay are not dimples, but rather craters.
According to this, Steve Ritchey says its normal.

Just watched this Steve Richie video again. Wow! That video is going to follow him around for many years. What a crock! If my 90’s W/B had dimples I didn’t notice them. If they were there they must have been so small and shallow that I didn’t notice them at all. Some of the pictures in here the dimples/craters are huge and very deep. The degree of difference in dimples can be extreme. People might have been able to deal with almost undetectable dimples but won’t stand for obvious deep craters all over the playfield. Steve Richie will probably regret putting out that video. Makes him look bad.....real bad. I understand the dark glasses now. The eyes tell all. Again Wow!

#3725 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Don't get too carried away with CGC quality, sure they are better than the Stern rubbish ATM, but my MMRLE developed dimples straight away and the printing on the inserts is light and difficult to read. CGC gave me a diffuser and Rick gave me his attitude.

I would say ALL pin manufacturers are on notice for producing quality playfields. Sterns look the worst IMO but some of the CGC playfields look real bad also. These pin companies would be foolish to ignore the outrage of this issue. It is not going away. From what I am seeing Spooky is doing the best with PF quality but I will have to see more examples to be sure. Honestly I haven’t seen many AP pins so wouldn’t comment on them. The company who makes the best quality pins will have an advantage going forward IMO. At least for my dollars they will.

#3730 4 years ago

So it is pretty obvious softer wood is being used to make modern playfields. What I would really like to know is can the harder wood still be acquired for a higher price or are these pin manufacturers just unwilling to pay the higher price for harder wood. After we know that we can move on to the issues with the clearcoat. It is either just the wood or a combination of the wood and clear. I lean towards a combination of the two but I am not sure what the percentage of blame goes to wood or clear.

#3737 4 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

Bingo. The aged wood sources are depleted while their replants are harvested for a quick turn-around. These younger materials are very soft when compared to an aged relative. The harder/aged materials are gone. I'd like to 'think' a surface hardening technique is used for pinball surfaces. If not; they should.
I designed and built prototypes from Baltic Birch in 2015 thru 19. The best material was sourced from Russia and it was handled with great care to reduce surface scratches. One slip on an edge or a wood-chip produces a scratch. I imagine play-field producers are very careful when handling; They have to be. B.Birch is brutally strong, but its soft surfaces need care.

You are saying the harder/aged wood is gone? Not saying your wrong but I would like to hear more about this. Obviously Spooky is making a tougher playfield compared to Stern so I wonder what the wood options are out there. And is there one better yet more expensive that could be chosen. I believe there has to be a way to get the hardness of the 90’s playfields.

You said you used Baltic Birch? Is that the best out there? Do you or anyone here know what was used in the 90’s wood wise?

#3749 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

gotta be an alternative to wood that works better?

Well it seems like Spooky found some better harder wood so I am not so sure all the good wood is gone. More needs to be looked into this subject IMO. I also still think bad clear is a part of this equation. Wood might be a bigger factor but super soft clear you can put your nail through isn’t correct either. Spooky making better/harder playfields kind of fly’s in the face of all the harder wood is gone. Does it not. I am thinking the better wood just got harder/more expensive to source but I really don’t believe you can’t get it even if you wanted.

#3757 4 years ago

I am sorry but if it was the speed of the ball in modern Sterns causing these dimples wouldn’t they ALL have the same degree of dimpling. Some seem to have very little to none. How is that possible if ALL the machines are fast. Materials have been degraded across the board with Stern and others. The playfield issues are just an extension of the overall downgrading of materials.

#3771 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I can hear it now, "dimples caused the ball to flow uneven right between the flippers and so and so lost the PAPA finals"

If the dimples were large and deep enough they might cause a slight change in direction.

3D207480-9741-48FB-8FE8-F3024093F8CC (resized).jpeg3D207480-9741-48FB-8FE8-F3024093F8CC (resized).jpeg
#3778 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Hit and miss from all I've seen over the years in terms of date of manufacture, amount of plays, etc.[quoted image]

Do you know if this is an original or remake playfield? BTW this one doesn’t look too bad. Just some slight dimpling.

#3789 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Spooky pins also dimple..... not like stern pins but they do and will continue too Just like every wood playfield pin .

So all pins have some degree of dimpling so the subject is a closed case and shouldn’t even be discussed? I feel like every time someone says all pins dimple they want people to think that’s the whole story. It is not. There is a big difference in accepting some slight shallow dimples that are barely visible to a ton of huge deep craters I am seeing from Stern and others. That’s like saying someone who loses their temper once in a while is the same as someone who constantly screams at people. Those are not close. One is something you could live with and the other is not.

Spooky is at least showing they are trying to improve their quality with every title they put out. They may continue to improve quality as they go. That says something to me. That’s the formula I want to see from ALL pin companies in the future.

#3836 4 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'd sooner ask where are the pictures that show dimpling stopping at an insert and continuing on either side? I actually haven't seen those, would like to. But below is one that shows the dimpling running right across the insert.
Some are in the camp that the clear plays no role in dimpling, it's strictly related to the wood, and the wood hasn't change. The observations I've made over dozens of machines of all types suggest this can't be the case. Either the wood isn't consistent, or the clear plays a role in the dimpling too. Pictures like this suggest the latter.
[quoted image]

It is a combination of wood and clear. It is a known fact lesser woods are being used and kruzmans clear technique seems to make a much harder playfield so I would say the clear matters. I don’t even want to get into the new printing processes possible effect on art lifting. It seems to be a total mess all around.

#3840 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Is this considered “pooling”?[quoted image]

Probably just an optical illusion.........

#3843 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

At least it will be an improvement over the current art on there.

What you don’t like the restaurant kids placemat art style?

#3885 4 years ago

50 plays. Like new.

505E7BA4-938B-4755-BBCB-33A22B609EDF (resized).jpeg505E7BA4-938B-4755-BBCB-33A22B609EDF (resized).jpeg
#3887 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Holy crap. Was that routed?[quoted image]

Nope. From the Marketplace.

3 weeks later
#4585 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Well AFAIK the issues started with a portion of the POTC run and continued with the first run of Wonka’s.At this point Jack called up Mirco and said get your shit together or else!

So with a simple phone call Mirco can just start making perfect playfields for JJP but not Stern? That doesn’t sound quite right to me. Need a lot more detail than Jack made a phone call before I believe JJP is all set on PF quality. Did they change wood type/quality? Is the clear different? New process? Why didn’t Mirco just start making perfect playfields for Stern if all it took was a phone call? Call me skeptical on your claim.

#4588 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

According to Pinside Mirco doesn’t make Stern playfields.And yes a phone call and righteous ass chewing can change bad manufacturing real quick.My uncle Charlie was VP of a finishing company I worked for as a young man.I watched him make calls to vendors and the problems were resolved when new material arrived

I hope you are right. I am a big fan of what JJP is trying to build. As far as Stern goes seems like they don’t really want people to know where their playfields are done. That is yet another suspicious move by them. I still think Mirco is involved at some level.

#4591 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Copied from my post in the Pinball Expo 2019 thread:
Stern tour showed Elvira + JP + SW comic art edition all being assembled. Per our tour guide playfields are cut and routed at Stern, sent out for printing and clear coat, then returned to Stern where they are placed in racks and left for weeks to let the clear cure.
If this information is correct, then no wonder Stern wants to replace as few playfields as possible. The outside vendor would only refund Stern for the printing and clearing cost of defective playfields, and not the cost of the wood playfield itself. To try to salvage a playfield from bad printing or a bad clear coat, Stern would have to sand the top surface and send it out for reprinting and clearing.

Thanks for the info. Clears up a few things for me.

#4613 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I havent seen any pf complaints with late wonka.
Anybody?

This would be great news for JJP and pinball customers if they got the playfield issues sorted.

#4643 4 years ago

Sledgehammer to new playfield? The times they are a changing. Competition breeds better quality. Or at least an attempt at better

#4711 4 years ago

Or someone could just call Balcer or whatever the name of the company Spooky uses for their current playfields and ask if a hard enough wood can be sourced for the top veneer of the playfield. Since Spooky has seen improvement I say that yes for a price hard wood can still be sourced. It’s probably about money with certain companies using a harder wood on their playfield.

#4759 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Did stern really just have another price increase this week on all models? Rofl. God I am so glad I went back to playing retro video games.

Stern pinball: IKEA quality at ETHAN ALLEN prices.......

#4800 4 years ago

Stern better figure out a way to replace all the customers they are losing lately. They will feel the pain at some point. This is just slow creep. People are figuring it out that Stern machines are not worth buying. The army is shrinking.......

#4896 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont see this selling at all. Ever who thinks this stuff up at Stern is not very creative at all. Of all the games to pick from to do a reskin why in the F would you chose Star Wars??

Cause they have plenty of left over parts from the SW pins that never sold.......Stern is a bad joke to me. Tide has turned.

8 months later
#6793 3 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I'm a customer of both companies and won't personally purchase a machine from either company until they fix the issue for good. I'm happy to state that on the podcast.
I like both companies. I want to purchase more games. My goal is to advocate for the consumer. Sponsorship or no sponsorship.
I'm also happy to have a rep from either company come on a future podcast to discuss the issues and how they intend to address them.

Thank you for being honest and willing to talk about the issues on your podcast. I will listen to an advocate for the customer any day of the week.

#6828 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The one thing you seem to be forgetting is this is not happening because of making the playfields cheaper. Its happening because of the forced switch to water based clears from the very toxic clears used in the past for environmental and safety regulations. Otherwise they would have switched back two years ago and case closed. Even if you are a Stern basher, there is still JJP having issues with both Wonka and GNR after this issue first came about on POTC. Surely they would have fixed this if it was just a matter of price. What's an extra hundred or two on a $12,500 dollar game after all?

Please explain to us all how Spooky got around this forced switch to water based clears? They make great playfields now. If they can make good PF’s so can everyone else. No?

#6830 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I honestly don’t think they switched. They just used the old bad stuff and are off the radar because they are so small.

Care to elaborate on how you would know this.....

#6884 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Buy one machine to play and one to admire, EZ

Do you own any machines from the 90’s? I am starting to think you may not have the reference material to rate current pin quality. Is that what is going on with you?

#6887 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I do not. I got into the hobby in 2017 with a Star Wars Pro and went from there.
I prefer the modern machines.

Your responses make more sense now. Imagine for a moment you had actually seen the overall quality of pins go way down over the years. Imagine for a moment actually seeing the value you get from your pins go down over the years. Prices shoot way up at the same time quality takes a nosedive. Imagine for a moment what others with more experience might think of the the current situation with pins.

#6895 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Aside from the play fields what overall quality has gone down? I really can't tell the difference in quality from my JJP pins and my Williams/Bally pins? If anything the experience has clearly improved due to lightning, sound, and graphic display ....

The metals and plastics can be less robust and break easier. In some cases the cabinet is less robust. A lot of flipper assemblies don’t feel as solid to me also. And playfields are not just another component of a pin. They are THE COMPONENT of a pin....Nothing matters more IMO.

#6896 3 years ago

Bravo Nick from Buffalo pinball. You were honest and told the truth. Sorry but weak sauce from Kevin. Didn’t come off as being totally honest.

#6915 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes he did. As someone who feels exactly the same way, some people just don’t care about this stuff as much as other. I’m FULLY aware of all these issues and have zero issues buying NIB. I’m willing to take the risk.

You feel exactly the same way? You feel putting washers down to hide the problem with the clear is a real solution? It is not. Other chipping could easily happen away from the posts eventually. Kevin seems like a real nice guy but that’s not the point. Seemed he was stuck in the middle of telling the obvious truth and trying to cover for the manufacturers. He talked mostly about what was good for the manufacturers. There is enough profit margin to fix the clear issue. Sticking up for the manufacturers only hurts the consumer in this case. It needs to stop IMO.

#6958 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m saying these issues don’t bother me as much as others. Same as Kevin. If my game comes with washers and my game stays nice until I sell it, I couldn’t care less.

This is literally the first picture in this thread. Pooling outside the washers. This is the SOLUTION you speak of? Please just stop.

5D43C126-55C3-4222-9E09-B3A22C5F428E (resized).png5D43C126-55C3-4222-9E09-B3A22C5F428E (resized).png
#6959 3 years ago

Here are some more from page 2 of this thread. Pooling outside the washers. Imagine that. “ Washers are the solution”. God lord people.

9460C2AD-05E9-407B-BC92-A24CDC6FB1C4 (resized).png9460C2AD-05E9-407B-BC92-A24CDC6FB1C4 (resized).png
#6980 3 years ago

Word is more and more GnR pins are affected by pooling/chipping. So much for that one and only prototype theory. Wake up people. Stop buying until this is fixed.

#7028 3 years ago

**** washers. They are not a solution and look like crap.

#7067 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I agree. My last 3 Sterns (2 JJP Premiums and 1 AIQ Pro) have gorgeous PF's. The clear on the AIQ is glossy/beautiful and even though it only has 70 plays, no dimpling that I can see.

How about some closeup pics around the slings? I would like to see this.

#7071 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I think it’s the inverse of “pics or it didn’t happen”

Well,I am a long time fisherman so......

1 week later
#7169 3 years ago

Mirco will bury JJP. They need to get someone else fast.

#7231 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Correct. We all know he is disgruntled. We all know he won't ever buy a pinball machine again. Fine and good.
Stop telling us.

So you keep coming into a thread about playfield issues to tell people how they should discuss the issue? Or say don’t be negative about an issue that is only seen as negative to any sane person? This isn’t a fanboy thread. You and a couple others in here look foolish. You are in the minority by a lot with your playfield issues are no big deal garbage. Again this is a thread to discuss playfield issues and how they make you feel if that’s ok with you.

5 months later
#8073 3 years ago

So I haven’t been here in a while no was wondering if JJP playfield issues have been resolved as of machines going out today. How have the GNR CE machines been. Hoping to get a POTC rerun if released or possibly a Toy Story if playfields are of the highest quality. Fingers crossed. All comments and responses appreciated.

3 weeks later
#8233 2 years ago

Have a few 100 games on my Rick & Morty and the PF looks great.
Wonder what their secret sauce is

So is a Spooky the only pin company making great playfields at the moment? What a disgrace Stern and JJP are. The playfield is the heart of every pin.

#8246 2 years ago

I honestly can not believe these crappy playfields are still going out from Stern and JJP. It is easily the worst thing I have ever seen in pinball over many years. If you don’t have a good quality playfield you don’t have a good pin. It’s that simple.

#8404 2 years ago

I find it hard to believe that some playfields are 100% fine while others have pooling/chipping. IMO most if not all the playfields will eventually have the same negative issues.

#8423 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Hey Spartacus, you be you.

Funny you mention you be you. Cause you act like you just found you a few years ago when you started in the pin hobby. Just because you like your new pin persona doesn’t mean you have to defend all the pinball companies showing poor quality in different areas. Don’t worry the industry won’t go away just because a pin company is held accountable for poor quality. Both can survive. You can still be Pin Derek...........

1 week later
#8497 2 years ago

Seems to me Mirco just doesn’t want to eat the money for his very expensive DTS. Which was a complete failure. We need to go back to the old way of ink adhesion IMO. While they are at it make sure your clear is as good as you can make it. If it takes longer. So be it. I would rather wait a little longer for the correct product without massive defects. B/W pumped out plenty of machines while maintaining high quality playfields. So I don’t want to hear it can’t be done. Profits and greed are the only reasons the powers that be are leading you to believe they couldn’t stay in business with similar systems of manufacturing to B/W of the 90’s.

#8568 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

You are missing the point entirely. Stop talking, please.

He is trying to protect his resale value if he sells his defective games. A lot of people are doing this. They know the problem is quite real and severe but just don’t want to admit such.

#8580 2 years ago

Let me repeat this again. For those who bought the last 3 JJP games. Most if not all of you will have lifting artwork at some point in the near future. The process is heavily flawed and it is just a scientific fact in the end. Sad but true.

#8633 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No they’d just say it was a way to apease a customer and provide closure.
When a business has a customer that just can’t be satisfied… giving them their money back and jusr severing the transaction is the most complete way to just say “fine please leave”

Those pesky customers not wanting a defective playfield that can’t be fixed. The nerve of some people.

#8641 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Nice snark - but unrelated to the actual conversation thread. So ... *yawn*

I quoted your post that was full of snark. Too funny. Some people have zero self awareness these days………

#8652 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It wasn't snark - it was reality. The 'give their money back' solution is not a admittance of fault - it is the most direct way to simply undo a business relationship and reset to zero.
The actual conversation was if buy-backs open them up to some other liability - they don't. You can simply say it is a way of appeasing an unsatisified (or unsatisfiable) customer. You give them their money back and part ways.
Your response added nothing to that conversation.

You don’t feel quoting the words “ fine please leave” as snark? As if the customer complaining is a pest? Interesting……

#8684 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You came up with all this from reading the manual? Makes sense. Yes the company has a serious issue that I truly hope they find a solution for but the game really is amazing and Eric Did do a spectacular job on it. You hate JJP, understood.

Sorry. But for some of us there is no……….but………in this situation. There is no more significant defective issue to a pin than a bad playfield. It is truly the worst thing ever to happen in pinball. All of Eric’s hard work has been tarnished unfortunately.

#8818 2 years ago

JJP defenders in a nutshell. This house is awesome……….minus the crumbling foundation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mariposa, CA
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider extraballz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=extraballz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.