IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dergoetz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#824 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Is there a post over bare wood on these impacted playfield s to compare to? If not... then you’re not comparing apples to apples

Yes there are on POTC

#1026 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

yep, as a retailer (who works in a different field than pinball), having 0% of the responsibility for manufacturing the defect and 100% of the legal liability...happy I don't conduct business in the UK. Sounds fucked up to me.

That's not how that is going to work. The manufacturer will be liable towards the distributor/dealer, of course, "even" in the UK.

Just like anything and everywhere else, the customer needs to be protected and cannot be sent around, especially when the manufacturer sits abroad, nice and cosy.

Imagine your toaster breaks and your store says "take that up with China". No, you get to return for exchange or refund (your choice) anywhere I know of and have been to. The store takes it up with the distributor it got it from, the distributor with the manufacturer. The manufacturer can always approach the part vendor at fault for remedy.

If the distributor doesn't like it then get out, this is the risk of doing business after all.

#1062 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

yeah it's called 'parts' vs 'parts and labor'. Never had to pay for the technician to replace the part in your HVAC system? Or pay to replace a failed component in your car that failed under the parts warranty?
The significance here (not covered by your poor analogy) is the fact the product is faulty brand new... and not just something being replaced by a vendor.

People l love doing business with you, being the push over that you are obviously

1 week later
#1439 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So is this "it"? Is this all it takes to remedy? I guess we have to wait 4-8 weeks and check in with the new owners.

This tells us clearly one thing (no pun intended) - the paint did not adhere to the wood, that was the cause for Stern's problems.
Leaving out the paint allows the clear itself to stick to the wood and at least in Stern's case that seems to be problem solved.

Now remember that Spooky are VERY vocal about having "solved it" during and after TNA...and guess what, same deal on Alice Cooper, go figure. No secret sauce, no harder or softer clear, no proprietary solution to keep a secret. They simply threw their hands up in the air, said f it, pulled back the art from the posts and allowed for the clear itself to grab. And I don't care a bit, I think it looks cool.

But now I feel less confident in JJP being able to stand behind the playfields they sold to POTC owners (and later refunded them for), those things will have to be timebombs. And unless they prove me otherwise, how am I going to accept a replacement playfield from JJP for my cracked and chipped POTC CE going forward?

https://i1.wp.com/geekdad.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2018/03/AliceCooper_Playfield.jpg?resize=1376%2C1032&ssl=1

Further proof: TNA before fix:

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/TNA-entire-playfield.jpg

After "fix":

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/TNA%20Playfield.jpg

#1441 4 years ago

That playfield is gorgeous

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
2 weeks later
#2238 4 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Yeah but similarly screen printed is way better than the heat wrap they use now[quoted image]

Jeff, is that you?!?

2 months later
#3508 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He gave everyone a personal call that had a chipping playfield and buttered them up and made them gush all over themselves and forget about their shitty quality playfield. The correct thing to do would have been to call people and say I'm sorry that this happened and we will be sending you a populated playfield for your game.
I guess an unpopulated playfield is better than nothing but I personally find it unacceptable on any game that has a defect from the factory and totally unacceptable for a person that has a brand new game with a bad playfield.

He called me, POTC Collector Edition owner.

I sure didn't gush and told him my demands, pointing out that installing said replacement playfield will cost upwards of US$1000 as obviously neither him, Joe Newhard nor I have the time do do a swap.

He didn't give a shit, neither did Joe Newhard who went immediately silent in spite of him promising me before the sale (!!!) that I as a CE owner would get special treatment should there ever be such playfield issues. Yes, I brought the issue up before the purchase.

They both decided for me that I am getting an unpopulated playfield and that the joke is on me.
Have yet to even see that playfield.

#3519 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Stupid question because I am interested buying a new Stern game:
It's there no recourse as a buyer? Anything else if it is defective either the manufacturer has to fix it at their cost including sending a tech out to fix it and cover parts and labor or they take the product back and you get your money reimbursed.
This sounds pretty bad as I could be stuck with a lemon and have no options from what I have been reading here.
Sorry if that had been covered, but I'm pretty new to the hobby.
Also I'm not trying to troll, genuine question.

Just opened my NIB Jurassic Park LE. I had nothing but great luck with Stern in the past with Iron Maiden LE being the first that had the dreaded softer wood.

Now this Jurassic Park. The grain shows heavily and a 3 inch ball drop (tested under Apron) resulted in a deep dimple. I had to reseat all posts etc as the soft wood had sunken in on all of them. All posts were lose, some I was able to rotate freely.

Guess my luck ran out. Installed a playfield protector. Took around 2 hours straight, playfield now looks like a MILLION bucks and the gameplay feels exactly like my protector-less pins.

Yes I understand, most dislike those protectors - but realize that we did not need them in the past (hence they were ridiculous).
From here on out I will not unbox one single game without protector in hand. Even it that means that the game has to remain unplayed for a few weeks until the protector becomes available from Germany.

As for you who is new to the hobby, installing a protector may be a tall ask unfortunately. I would not sweat it too much as those grains and dimples are purely cosmetic.

3 weeks later
#3951 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Good luck finding a distributor that would give you such an open ended guarantee without a significant restocking charge.

And make sure to have it in writing.
After dealing with PinballStar I learned that the hard way.

#4025 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Ya you're wrong - maybe ask before you too make up stories...
Customer asked 'If JJP would take care of me' if there were issues, my reply as always is 'Yes JJP does their best to take care of customer issues' same statement as I always would make to anyone as it is my feeling with any company I represent, especially JJP. That was the end of any discussion prior to sale.
Goetz now months later claims he specifically asked me if they would give him a populated playfield. Totally untrue, period end of story. Funny that this claim of what he asked me months ago NOW only comes to light - it was never mentioned to me when he first reported the issue, never mentioned to Jack on the phone with him when he called him like he did with many customers, never mentioned in his tech support / warranty ticket. Never once, but now only now to stir the pot.
I have zero authority to promise anything to any customer. Many customers will attest that if they ask a specific question out of my hands even if it's for any company to provide a screw or a plastic or something small to them I always will carbon tech support or sometimes with JJP, Jack himself to involve the people who make those decisions in the answer. I will NEVER ever answer a specific question on how something a manufacturer is responsible for will be handled later on - EVER, and I mean if it's a $ 5 part, NEVER. I have zero authority to do so. I will always take the time to email the company and involve the customer so they get the right answer to a specific question. So, Goetz claiming I promised him JJP would provide him a populated playfield is absolute nonsense.
So then unfortunately Goetz had PF issues. JJP decided everyone would get a populated playfield. I was involved in the process to get his warranty / ticket claim submitted. I think I even arranged for Jack to call Geotz personally which he did. Obviously Geotz isn't happy with JJP's response to the PF issues and that is his right. That was months ago. Fast forward to a few weeks ago - I noticed a post from Goetz on Pinside that he hadn't gotten his playfield yet. I wasn't sure myself on the timing of these coming out so I emailed Goetz and said 'I saw your post' and proceeded to say I wanted to get you an answer and I carboned Jack on the email to ensure he didn't get missed, etc... Jack replied they are getting made at this time and that was that. I actually took the initiative to reach out and involve myself in something I wasn't asked to do - why - because I DO care. Then, and only then, did Goetz start with his claim he
asked me for a populated playfield. Jack knows it's bullshit as he gets all the emails from me for years asking questions on the smallest of things I need to answer for a customer...
Funny not one other customer got promised a populated playfield, just him. Funny this claim of his only is now an issue months later and was never mentioned before in numerous communications with many different people - me, tech support, Jack, and even here on Pinside. You'd think maybe if he was promised something so grand he would have said when he submitted his ticket 'Oh by the way I was promised a populated playfield, here's the address to send it to'... Nope nothing, didn't mention it Jack, nor me. My thought is unfortunately he is at this point trying to discredit JJP and bully and strongarm them into giving him what he wants with this tactic. Bottom line if he's going to come here to slander me with a lie, I'm going to unfortunately have to defend myself as that post wondered about. He's mad at the outcome, I get it, many folk are upset with JJP and Stern and I understand it. But the story he's spinning is untrue folks. He's looking to get a rise and stir the pot. There are 100's of customers who know how I carry myself.

You are a handful, Joe.

I pointed out to you that the POTC CE that I played in town had chipping and pooling.

I asked what would happen should the same happen to me.

I asked before making the purchase and that was ground FOR making the purchase. And I told you that.

You told me on the phone that "JJP takes special care of their CE customers and that I would be made whole".

I then had the exact and discussed playfield issue happen to me and I contactef you while you were on vacation. You did not get back with a solution. A day or two later was when Jack made his phone calls, which I thanked him for. I told Jack on the phone that I find his solution unsatisfying but did not throw you under the bus during that phone call.

I left it at that and was done with you and JJP due to your actions.

When the topic came up on the forum I posted about my experience.

Then one of your friends contacted you and only now, that it was public, did you care.

You made sure to contact Jack and myself right away to make me out to be the scumbag, even threatened me with legal action and boasted that I have no recording of said phone call you and I had, no proof of the promise you made.

Which is correct, I only do business in writing with people I do not trust. I trusted you at the time.

Point is, you promised me PREFERRED treatment, I now got the same treatment as anyone else.

I have NO use for an unpopulated playfield, I wrote you and Jack that. It's a waste of Jacks money, shipping and my space. All I can do is sell it with the pinball.

I offered that I would be happy with a price break on the coming Guns and Roses that you told me about in January 2019. That is on the other hand correct.

You giving me a small break would not have cost you a dime, you would have sold a pin for Jack, I would have continued to be a customer of both yourself and JJP.

Instead you threw Jack under the bus by promising something he cannot keep. And now start a public shit storm. Be my guest.

And if you, as threatened, want to take legal action against me it will be popcorn time on Pinside.

#4027 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Like I said theres always 3 sides to every story....being a JJP or Stern distributor must be brutal when there are major issues

He could have said "no promises" and all would have been fine.

#4030 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

The moral of the story is ALWAYS buy used. That’s what I have started to do.

I'm with you on that, but good luck finding a POTC CE used

#4053 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Absolutely not true.

I quite often read reports of people receiving exactly those

#4067 4 years ago

Hello all,

To make it clear to everyone reading, the whole problem, if you want to call it that, revolves around what I described earlier and allow me to quote what I wrote

"I asked before making the purchase and that was ground FOR making the purchase. And I told you that.

You told me on the phone that "JJP takes special care of their CE customers and that I would be made whole"."

This was an agreement between Joe and myself, one that he now denied he entered into and that I have no proof of. And one that he possibly and could honestly have forgoten about, which would be only human. But then he needs to keep phone calls to the point in the future and not get lost in 20 minutes of anecdotes.

What happened next is that I did not actively seek out JJP. What happened is that I registered the issue, as it was announced that this was what JJP wanted, on their website and tried to call and emailed Joe.

Joe did not reach out to me with a solution in time (he was on vacation), Jersey Jack in true Murphys Law style called me with the Jersey Jack solution before Joe got to me.

The timing could not have been worse in hindsight.

I talked to Jack and told him that I am not satisfied with the solution. Told him that I would rather be interested, instead of getting a useless playfield, to get discount towards a future title. Shipping and cost of playfield would be much better used that way.

Jack simply hung up on me. I did not mention Joe during that phone call as I realized what was happening and did not want to throw Joe under the bus in front of his manufacturer.

But now I had realized that Joe had made a promise in JJPs name that JJP was not willing not wanting nor bound to keep.

Read again, Joe told me JJP would take preferred Collectors Edition care of me. Not him. And here I was, surprised and disappointed.

I understood right away what situation Joe was in, JJP would give me standard treatment and he had a promise that he wanted to keep, or so I thought at the time. And I reached out to Joe and offered discount on a future title solution.

I was still under the impression at that time that Joe wanted to honor and/or that he remembered the agreement, hence I suggested that we find a solution for me. And that I will not share said solution as we do not want to set precedent for JJP as Jack had decided to do playfield only. I thought that Joe and I were trying to sort things out together.

Nothing. One email to Jack from Joe, Jack replied said email with "Götz is getting a playfield"...

I unhappily settled for the playfield....

Time passed and every now and then the topic came up here and I shared my frustration with others. I was not bound by an NDA nor was I offered a solution if I keep only quiet.

And now here we are.

#4073 4 years ago

No problem Joe, we can keep this on high flame in public, your choice. Or you could have called, as you should have.

You promised me, on the phone, that JJP would treat me better than standard customers, as they supposedly treat all their Collectors Edition customers with preference.

I asked whether that meant I would be made whole in case the described issues would arise, you said yes.

So, if Standard and LE owners get a playfield, where does that leave me? Can anyone blame a customer at that point to ask for a populated playfield? And if that is denied, is it a terrible idea that the customer comes up with the offer to buy yet another pinball from you, in good faith as I had no idea at that point that you would "forget" your promise, at a discount?

Win-win for everyone?

Yes, the promise was made on the phone and you are having a field day with the fact that I trusted you, that I have no recording of said phone call.

That is why I recommend to everyone to do business with Joe in writing.

Not once have you called me to work things out as you should have. I sure tried to call you. Instead you threatened me with legal action and you publically attack your Collectors Edition buyer.

#4079 4 years ago

Joe, you are completely losing your temper and professionalism in public.

#4124 4 years ago

Quoted from jeffro01:

While I think you're right on the cashflow aspect for JJP, I have a slightly different opinion on the unpopulated playfield aspect. While I realize I'm in the minority here, I have no issues getting an unpopulated playfield and would welcome the learning experience doing the playfield swap myself.
Jeff

I welcome you over at my house to do the swap once my playfield comes in

#4128 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Wouldn't it be easier to just make a quality playfield to begin with?

JJP ordered a perfectly fine playfield from Mirco and paid Mirco in prefectly fine Euros, they are not at fault as a manufacturer for the initial issue.

They are as much victim as the rest of us.

#4162 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

If you really believe that, you understand nothing about manufacturing and business in general. That is like saying Airbus isn't responsible when the Pratt and Whitney engine used in their new plane fails.

You guys are all not reading what I posted....INITIAL

There was no bad intent. How it is being handled after the fact is up to the manufacturer and distributor, and that is what is being discussed here.

#4200 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I agree with that. What I am saying is that JJP is ultimately responsible for the finished product, period. I think you would agree with that.
Sorry you are having to deal with this. Your story and too many others I'm reading here is why I have decided against buying NIB despite there being a few games out there right now that I have interest in.

Thank you for your kind words, Ute

#4240 4 years ago

I got JP2 LE and a playfield protector went on it before a single ball was played.

That is the new world I live in

#4290 4 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

he was told that because he first asked if ce buyers get prefered treatment so that mentality was there to begin with.

Not true.

Read what I posted again.

#4316 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Same issue I have been having. They (Stern) has done nothing for me and it has been months! JJ has still not even returned my phone calls.

All of this is crazy and seemingly exclusive to Pinball.
What are these distributors good for in the end?

#4394 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Does anyone here that owns a Premium or LE JP have any PF issues or know anyone that has?

JP2LE

terrible graining, looks like ass.

removed apron and did test drops. Craters, not dimples, right away.

i pulled everything needed and install a playfield protector before even the first ball was played.

made the graining almost invisible and no dimples for me.

#4395 4 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

What’s the “ironing” fix ?

text me, got the iron here and you can borrow it anytime.

works like a charm.

#4396 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Makes sense. My JP2LE is perfect. One of the best Stern playfields I’ve had.

You were lucky, I got a lemon.

1 week later
#4594 4 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I have it on good authority this is actual footage from the Mirco factory around the same time Jack was on his trip.[quoted image]

That's not him, he would have opened up with a cartwheel to the nuts

#4685 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

The harder you make the playfield, the harder it will be to cut and drill. Add extra costs for all those drill and router bits that would get dull pretty quickly.

Sometimes.....sometimes this forum leaves me speechless.....

#4738 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

It’s surreal.. being almost apologetic to the manufacturer/distributor for highlighting a defect on a $10k brand new product.
“I really hope you don’t mind sir, but I have a teensy weensy problem with my premium priced product. It’s probably my fault. I hope you’re not mad. Forget I said anything”.
Bizarro world.

I work in the field of giant scale radio controlled model aircraft, another expensive toy.

Same, exact same customer behavior as I find it here on Pinside- the customers treat the distributors, manufacturers and big names like rockstars, let them get away with anything and glorify ordinary behavior.

Kissing up to these distributors does not make you pinball - famous, people. It makes you act like a fool.

1 week later
#4930 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

So you haven't bought a game with playfield issues? Then why are you coming here insulting people who have? Kind of immature, no?

He is the resident little kid.

1 month later
#5061 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I didn't get screwed. I could do the PF swap no problem. I'm a mechanical engineer in the auto industry. I was made whole in my opinion. Sorry you don't feel that way

Can you come over then and do my POTC CE swap as well?

I know how to do it, but do not have the time...seems like you do.

1 month later
#5140 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I find it crazy that you only get the "better" Stern playfield if you buy a premium or LE. For nearly $6k you get a playfield with less clear? That just doesn't seem right considering the all time record prices.

cannot confirm
got JPLE and the playfield sucks

1 month later
#5428 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I think the lighting is exaggerating it

I 100% agree with him, would look best with lights off

#5440 3 years ago

I got one of those piece of crap playfields on my JPLE, thanks Stern

#5464 3 years ago

You know what's gross? Shit playfields

2 weeks later
#5775 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

How is it right to keep punishing them when they've addressed the issues?

you don't like facts much, do you

1 week later
#5876 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Joe enters thread in 3 - 2 - 1 ..... lol

I would think he is done attacking his customers.

2 months later
#6521 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I am not sure what you can sue them for?

quick hint, look at the title of the thread you are posting in...

7 months later
#8190 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I do have empathy. I feel quite badly that you're having such an unhappy time with your game.
What I don't get is why you hang in there. It seems to me your unhappiness is far exceeding any joy you're getting from it.
I never see any gameplay posts, scores, strategy questions...just playfield complaints coupled with disdain for people who are buying new games and enjoying them.

You nailed i, finally.

I sold my POS POTC CE at a profit, which was of course pure luck in the end, and I will never touch a JJP again. And they have no-one but Mirco and Joe Newhart to blame, these two ruined an otherwise positive experience for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 38.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oakhurst, CA
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walnutport, PA
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dergoetz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=dergoetz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.