IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clellison.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 4 years ago

Just steer clear of anything that has a "Mirco" label on the playfield. Problem solved.

#161 4 years ago

The "fix" is likely going to be an added clause to the current warranty sheet stating this condition may exist, doesnt affect game play and doesn't warrant a replacement.
Any new machine I'd lay the box down, cut the box, lift head, and use a flashlight. Any pooling found I'd send that shit back and make em pay for the shipping or pay for someone to install a new fully populated playfield. Gotta start using a credit card guys to ensure a charge back can occur if need be. This community needs to put its foot down and say no more. It'll only make the QC that much better ....both for installation and parts.

#375 4 years ago

Facts dont care about your feelings.
~Ben Shapiro

Seriously, if you (people are over reacting) camp people are content with a defective game then more power to you. Seriously that's OK!

But to sit there.and tell others that actually know the resale value IS going to take a hit to not worry about it .... you're MASSIVELY in the wrong here.

Moral of this story, live and let live and stop telling people how they should feel. You have zero right to do so.

#435 4 years ago

Correct me if I'm misremembering but at some point didn't Mirco (and CPR) both announce they were buying equipment that allowed them to print playfields at anytime thus eliminating the need for quantity runs?
Is that time frame relevant to what we've seen over the last couple of years? Is that the reason Mirco says he's intentionally using soft clear. Is that because the manufacturer of the "printer" is directing him to do so? Apparently Mirco doesn't do stuff for Stern so what if Sterns supplier has the same printer?
I belong to the #neveragainNIB club.

#816 4 years ago

You Wonka owners stop complaining. You have the not so limited "ooey gooey" edition. lol

1 week later
#1438 4 years ago

It was said long ago part of the problem is ink adhesion issues. If they've stopped using ink around posts imagine what VUK holes and kick out holes will have to look like. Imagine the artist designs the playfield artwork and then goes over all impact areas and erases the artwork. YIKES! I believe this is going to become the new norm.

#1710 4 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

27 plays in[quoted image][quoted image]

Pack it back up and demand a new machine from the distributor or file a charge back. The folks affected need to hold these people accountable so they hold the manufacturers accountable. So sorry about your luck!

#1826 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

How about making public statements saying its not a widespread issue... then turn around and quietly change your builds to include washers... then change the art on a game to avoid it.. all while not acknowledging the issue for what it is?
It's typical stern.... try to handle everything on a 'case by case basis' to minimize exposure and do everything possible to avoid publicizing the issue... including denial.

It's business, and why would they offer a playfield to those guys who dont think it's a big deal. Everyone wants something for free and if Stern publicly announced its offering replacements, even those (stop looking at your playfield with a magnifying glass) tools would be right in line with their hands out like everyone else lol

Quoted from Darkwing:

I’m not sure it’s very widely known though. When I brought it up at our weekly pinball league, even some of the route operators had not heard of it. I made sure to relay my first hand experience and point them to the pinside thread as well. Unfortunately, I think Stern is being somewhat successful in sweeping this under the rug

There's some truth in this. I know a few OPs and they had no clue this was happening until I told them and we looked at some of their machines and sure as hell post pooling was present. Silence will always be cheaper

#1883 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I think your missing the point...Stern chose to market to high end collectors, and priced their games accordingly. With that comes a different level of expectation

You're supposed to think whatever the other people tell you what you should think. Geez man, I mean you can't possibly think you're entitled to your own opinion!
Btw, fully agree with you.

#1947 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Care to explain why CGC can still make quality playfields and games without these issues if it is "environmental" issues that are the main problem?

Knock out blow.
Seriously you cannot argue "fact" and yet, here we are!
PS, discuss.... not attack guys and gals.

2 weeks later
#2430 4 years ago
Quoted from Beaverz:

A toddler can swap a new playfield. it takes exactly zero special talent to swap a modern playfield.

These playfields aren't ready to just start slamming parts on. You have to remove clear, you have to drill, you have to T-nut. And talent is required to not chip or crack the clear coat during the removal process. You obviously never had to deal with swapping in a Mirco playfield before. Sorry if this comes across harsh, but its comments like yours that can potentially give people false confidence and when they get into the real world reality sets in. They are in over their heads. It's not brain surgery, but not everyone has the aptitude for it.

#2558 4 years ago

I'd bet the farm the only reason any progress on the clear coat debacle is happening is due to everyone on this site and the word spreading. It's a sad day in hell when manufacturers have to take it in the financial keister in order to do the right thing instead of just doing it because it's the right thing to do.

3 weeks later
#2809 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

sounds like American Pinball and Stern took the same customer service class....

The last two tickets I submitted to JJP weren't answered. The first one was submitted ~ a month ago. The second one was submitted 3 weeks ago.
Nothing. NADA. ZIP. Sales on the other hand has never been a problem.
I've given up on asking for any support from them. I own this machine lock stock and barrel. Pinside is my support channel now for this game.

#2815 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

JJP POTC LE....my right wire form is out whack...it works, but the basket sits up about 30 degrees. Apparently its a common problem, but I've seen first hand several that don't have the issue. I considered bending into shape, but hesitant if theres no replacement.

There's a lovely trade called metal fabrication. Either try to bend it and if you screw up then have them fix/redo it. Either way you're good to go. Obviously JJP isn't going to be of any help here.
I'm never worried to try/do anything. There's always someone to fix what I may break.

#3001 4 years ago

Hello Stern support?
Yes
I have playfield issues on my NIB
"Heavy breath exhale heard" what kind of issues?
The clear coat is pooled around the posts.
How many games have you played?
I dont know maybe 15 thus far?
Does it affect your gameplay?
Well no, but I'm concerned as no other game has this occurring.
Tech raises middle finger and rolls his eyes. I'll go ahead and document your concern. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Uhmm, I guess not?
Great thank you for calling.

Hello Stern support?
Yes
I called in previously here's the case #
OK
Uhmm, the clear is starting to chip around the posts now
How many games have you played?
Around 40?
Does it affect your game play? (flipping you off)
Well, no but I don't think this is normal or acceptable is it?
Yes, wear and tear is normal.
If it's normal why does none of my other machines not exhibit this?
We consider wear and tear to be normal. I've updated your record. Is there anything else I can help you with (grabbing crotch and fingering the phone).
I guess not
Thanks for calling

Hello Visa support?
Yes how may I help you today?
I need to file a charge back.

#3029 4 years ago

I cannot stress enough if you're going to roll the dice on a NIB from Stern or JJP the ONLY way to get these companies to fix (what they should whole heartedly own and support) is to use a credit card. Any pooling then demand a populated playfield (distributor or Stern/JJP) and an immediate answer or you're filing a charge back. I do speak from experience. These distributors get enough charge backs it'll force Stern/JJP to start doing the right thing (send a populated pf) or they risk going out of business. It'll also force them to fix the problem causing this. For the love of (insert whatever deity here) just don't accept this as the new normal.

#3125 4 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

I'm not sure that anyone here has ever done a chargeback, but here's a real-world example of how it works.

I recommended chargeback because I HAVE filed one on a PINBALL related item. A playfield, a playfield with pooling and chipping and misdrilled holes o be exact. Exactly what this thread has been about no less. Filled the chargeback request, faxed copies of email correspondence with seller/mamifactirer including pictures. It all spoke for itself - I was sold a crap product and given crap service. Money was back in my account in 3 days and "officially" ruled in my favor 3 weeks later.

1 month later
#3802 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Are the rumors out of CES 2020 true about this revolutionary anti dimple pinball?!
[quoted image]

If it's coming from Ron Kruzman damn straight that's a legit thing!

7 months later
#6144 3 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

Ball dimples have been my biggest focus. I have a process that has minimized them, and in many cased eliminated them. The problem is it takes me 3-4 months to do it. The ball dimples really bum me out after I spend so much time after the last coat, sanding and polishing the surface. The work I have done makes me realize that what I do to eliminate them could never be done in a production environment. It takes way too long and has way too many man hours. Its hard to know exactly, but I estimate I put 23-33 hours in to a pf by the time I am done, including sealing the back. That is not including any work on the art.

This is NO joke guys and gals. I have a Kruzman Funhouse and there's not ONE dimple. Anyone that says dimples are "normal" and/or "unavoidable" is flat out wrong.

2 months later
#6724 3 years ago

Jeebus cripes. Look, I don't have an engineering degree but I'm over flowing with common sense which tends to be more useful than an engineering degree.
They can't get this fixed apparently so use the same setup as Stern did all those many years ago. Seriously this is just ludicrous they aren't smart enough to realize they already have a better band aid. Counter sunk t-nut and skinny post.
https://www.ipdb.org/images/4858/image-2.jpg

#6728 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Jeebus cripes. Look, I don't have an engineering degree but I'm over flowing with common sense which tends to be more useful than an engineering degree.
They can't get this fixed apparently so use the same setup as Stern did all those many years ago. Seriously this is just ludicrous they aren't smart enough to realize they already have a better band aid. Counter sunk t-nut and skinny post.
https://www.ipdb.org/images/4858/image-2.jpg

Oh, and add LED's to the posts so the band aid looks like an intentional design upgrade lol

#6787 3 years ago

What needs to happen is to call BOTH of these companies out in a public forum. Pinball shows not internet podcasts and pinside. If that doesn't make them become honest nothing will.

#6791 3 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Our podcast reaches over 3,000 listeners/viewers. It will also go up on YouTube. That's more than a pinball show will reach.

That might be true, but do you have Gary or Jack on your show confronting them and making them answer?

#6979 3 years ago

Saying B/W games don't hold up - good lord *sigh*. The spice of life is choices. I get the same joy out of my B/W's that I get out of my Stern and my JJP.

Hear me out before you start throwing rude comments....... back to the actual point of this thread. I think the experience of a NIB is awesome. If you can afford to do it then do it once. BUT ... I recommend if/when possible you go to the supplier and have them crack the box open. It's become so incredibly hit and miss out there when it comes to clear coat issues I would hope any reputable dealer would understand and comply with the wish. In fact they should encourage it and send the garbage back to Stern and JJP and get a refund or at a VERY minimum the distributor is paid a refund and able to warn the customer "Hey the machine has been determined to be a factory second and the price is reduced because of this." Hell they could even SUPER deep discount it. The machine would be logged at the manufacturer as a second and no future support (like the JJPPOTC pf debacle) as an example. I know, I know that's just completely asanine to think these manufacturers actually give two shits about their clients. Pinball seems to be growing so the "vote with your wallet" thing gets defeated when you have one guy step out two more jump in to replace him so they still show growth.

#7039 3 years ago
Quoted from Svend:

You're mashing a heavy ball bearing around a wooden playfield populated with plastics, posts etc. which will damage over time. When a pinball gets its intended use (which is hundreds/thousands of plays), a 1mm pooling circle which requires a magnifying glass to be seen will be the least of your worries in terms of wear & tear. For this reason I can understand that manufacturers do not have fixing of sporadic pooling damage during production on the top of their priority list.

The problem with your argument is 100's of thousands of games before the last 5 years didn't have this issue let alone right out of the box. There's pictures of peoples play fields chipping around posts in reportedly 30 games. IF you're OK with that cool ..... I believe most people aren't. My .02
And the argument of metal against wood - get a Kruzman clear job and I assure you that argument is no longer valid. *shameless plug for Ron!*

2 months later
#7529 3 years ago

Forgive me, I try not to be negative when at all possible but I m seriously wondering how in the world JJP (and for that matter Stern) stays in business when they are repeat offenders and compensation is either non existent or sub par at best? Rule #1 of raising children is you don't reward for bad behavior - you punish. As a gentleman early on stated - you need to make change with your wallets. I'd have to assume I'm not the only one unwilling to buy new anymore due to the sub par playfields being sent out?
If I was Slash I would have reamed some serious ass over this and demanded new fully populated playfields get shipped to those affected.
It's just beyond sad that this is happening over and over and over and over and over again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clellison.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.