IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigd1979.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#228 4 years ago

Looks like many stern titles and some jjp titles are affected by this weird issue. Sucks bc i just sold a few pins that had no issues to get wonka and jp2... gonna hold off for a nice huo or wait till the issue is figured out....

3 weeks later
#1401 4 years ago
Quoted from Tahitiansea:

I just bought my first NIB pin yesterday (Deadpool Pro). I have been following this thread and several others regarding issues with PFs, pooling, chipping, etc. I scoured the pf after I unboxed it and didn’t see any pooling, chipping, or issues with the playfield graphics. I ordered new coil stops a few days ago from Pinball Life and when I went to swap them last night, discovered the stern ones didn’t appear to be the bronze ones everyone has had issues with. My pin was made on Aug 22nd, 2019. I just thought I would share my experience with a recently built NIB pin.

Yea most/all dead pools seem to be good

#1409 4 years ago

So it is bc of the art not adhering to the playfield well?

#1422 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Does CGC/Spooky really use better wood in their playfields? If so good for them. Competition is good for quality. Step it up Stern.

Cgc is also silk screened so thats y they haven't had this issue....

#1425 4 years ago

Stern has addressed the issue ... all post areas now have no art and have a big circle around them.

#1426 4 years ago

IMG_04771 (resized).jpgIMG_04771 (resized).jpgIMG_04781 (resized).jpgIMG_04781 (resized).jpgIMG_04751 (resized).jpgIMG_04751 (resized).jpgIMG_04761 (resized).jpgIMG_04761 (resized).jpg

#1433 4 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Will be interesting to see if the next batch of Pro playfields has the blank rings around the posts.

Of jp2? They do

#1570 4 years ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

In the HEP thread, Chris said that recent playfields from Mirco have had soft clear. He fixes by sanding off as much of the clear as possible and then recoating with his own hard clear. Clearly much caution is warranted if one is considering a nib purchase.
Cheers.

My jjp playfields are mostly dimple free too . Not sure if that's bc of the wood or clear but overall I'm happy with them

#1794 4 years ago
Quoted from ctviss:

I'm not a Stern machine owner nor have I really kept up with every post in this thread, so forgive me for making any assumptions or being wrong.
I don't understand why the "fix" is to install washers under the posts, if the problem is in the clear coat and not the posts themselves. The washers will just create a larger diameter "pool"; you could install a 1" washer and you'd have a 1" wide pool, as evidenced by pictures of pooling around washers. Same goes for pulling the artwork away from the posts - is the problem caused by the artwork or the clear coat? Pulling the artwork away will just make the chipping, once it occurs, less noticeable since there won't be chipped artwork, just chipped clear coat.
I never planned to buy a NIB (after my first one from CGC), though I was tempted to get the new BK game, but now I've pretty much written off anything Stern has to offer. And JJP? Simply forget it. Seems like they embody, or are starting to embody, everything that is wrong with the pinball world.
Or maybe chipped playfields are just part of Stern's new "Lifestyle Brand"...

I bought a wonka le a few weeks ago with some pooling around some of the posts(no chipping) . First thing i did when i got it home and set up was take sling post off and few other post on the lower half of the playfield. I used big washers under the posts and lightly tightened them and let it sit overnight. The next day i removed them and everything was relatively flat and back in place. From what i cld tell a combination of overtighteneing along with the inward pressure of the rubbers along with sling going off which created more inward pressure caused the art work to start bunching up. I went to Lowe's and found nylon and rubber washers that i added under those areas and didn't over tighten anything . So far after hundreds of plays everything has been ok and no pooling/movement has occurred and the playfield looks great with hardly any dimples and the clear looks very nice. Eventually ill probably order the nicer lookin clear titan silicone washers but I'm happy so far with everything. Resized_20190914_225022001_4665 (resized).jpegResized_20190914_225022001_4665 (resized).jpegResized_20190914_224944001_1439 (resized).jpegResized_20190914_224944001_1439 (resized).jpeg

#1796 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Pardon my negativity, but that's ugly AF.
-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

Lol.. u can't hardly c them once the game is back together... also im gonna get the clear silicone ones but this was just a quick run to lowes fix until i get others. Also i want a smaller size but that was all that was available locally. Looks alot better than your pooling and chipping wonka tho .... doesn't it....

#1797 4 years ago

Pardon my negativity, but that's ugly AF.
-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

When i get the correct size and in clear ill be sure to show u a pic.... looks much better than Metal ones and don't create issues like the metal and neapream ones can. I actually like the small nylon ones under the small post and may try find those for the star posts.

#1811 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Can't beat the HUO environment [quoted image]

That post design on jp2 is not a good one and needs to be fixed imo

#1815 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I've never had a post do that to me in 22 years... badly placed or not.

Not necessarily the placement its the type ... it gets repeatedly nailed and sld have been designed stronger and have a nut on the other side with a washer so it dont give as much. Also with art under it and the playfield issues this is gonna cause it to mess the playfield up unfortunately.

2 weeks later
#2568 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Has anyone tried to remove a post from an area where there is pooling but no chipping? I'm curious if the bottom of the post is stuck to the clear when trying to remove it.

Quoted from Dr-pin:

I would consider warming it with a heat gun or such before i tried the removal.

I bought a used wonka le that had some pooling. I pulled most of the lower playfield posts and they came right up and caused no damage. I then flattened out the pooling and added different types of washers depending on the type of posts. So far everything has been ok and we absolutely love the game and have put 600-800 plays on it over the past month or so with no issues reoccurring...

#2571 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Did you sand it out, or were you actually able to manipulate the cured surface with pressure?

No sanding.. it flattened out with hair dryer on low . I just basically followed a thread someone made on pinside. Not sure who it was but it seemed to work overall. Seems to me the digital printing is moving under high pressure areas like slings and such.

3 weeks later
#2813 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

They actually responded to my ticket about my wire form (took them 2 days)....all they told me that its jacked up on most games and they have none in stock.

What's wrong with the wire form and which pin?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2823 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

So if i order a wonka le today i get one of em bubbly gooey mf's?
Anybody ordered lately?

Just ask for one with a newer manufacturer date... sept or oct. Many of the first run se and le are ok but there were some with issues. So if you can try to get one from sept or definitely a October one. Id say if you were to order directly from jjp you wld be ok.

1 month later
#3649 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Local JP pro here on location appears to have peeling clearcoat in places now. Born in August 2019.[quoted image][quoted image]

Mylar?

#3682 4 years ago

If dimples are gonna be a issue for people than you all might as well find a new hobby bc all playfields dimple to some extent. Some are definitely worse off than others and seems most of the newer sterns were the worst offenders from my experience but it still don't bother me as its gonna happen .

#3788 4 years ago

Spooky pins also dimple..... not like stern pins but they do and will continue too Just like every wood playfield pin .

#3851 4 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'd sooner ask where are the pictures that show dimpling stopping at an insert and continuing on either side? I actually haven't seen those, would like to. But below is one that shows the dimpling running right across the insert.
Some are in the camp that the clear plays no role in dimpling, it's strictly related to the wood, and the wood hasn't change. The observations I've made over dozens of machines of all types suggest this can't be the case. Either the wood isn't consistent, or the clear plays a role in the dimpling too. Pictures like this suggest the latter.
[quoted image]

But but but.. original b/w playfields don't dimple.... lol... everything does ..some just worse than others . Its really no big deal to me..however the pooling and chipping is not cool at all.

2 weeks later
#4001 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

When you say "latest run", what time period are you referring to? This is the game im waiting on...

Anything from mid to late September on seems to be ok. At least no reported issues on pins from then on.

#4002 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I love their games, and have owned all except Wonka. The only one I have left is my POTC LE....I see zero reason to ever buy another NIB game from JJP or Stern...in my market nice used ones come up for sale all the time.

Someone has to buy it nib at some point for us to be able to buy a nice used huo tho lol...

#4343 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Assuming there is someone nearby who swaps playfields routinely, how long do you think said person would need to do this - 16 hours ?

Depends on game and if new playfield has t nuts installed. New pins are much easier to swap than 90s pins due to all the lighting being on boards and plug And play. Also most/all coils are on plugs so not much soldering compared to older pins. Everything is new so litterly everything just needs swapped over from one to another. Still some work but nothing like it is on older pins.

1 week later
#4611 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

How many Wonkas do you own to arrive at the conclusion that all of the new ones are solid?

Quoted from Dr-pin:

I havent seen any pf complaints with late wonka.
Anybody?

Nope seems the issue was fixed after the first se and le batch and not all of those were effected.

#4618 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

That's pretty brave.
Yours's may be solid; but I doubt they are all solid... or even a significant amount solid.
I'm waiting for wonkas on secondary market where we KNOW they are solid.

So far there have been no complaints with the ce, le and se that were made after sept-oct. I'd say they got it under control but of course there cld be a outlier like with any handmade product. But if I was a buyer I'd be pretty confident in purchasing a jjp pin made after sept-oct manufacturing date.

#4624 4 years ago

Meanwhile the rest of us who got first-launch run machines are sitting here with our proverbial dicks in our hands. We've got shitty playfields that are blistering and chipping apart, and the best they could do was send us a large box with a bare wood field inside and say c'est la vie! Good luck with your swap project!

Yep we are.. I'm waiting for a playfield so I can do a swap...

2 weeks later
#4905 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Ready for some “extreme dimpling?”
Played this guy today. Ball kept getting stuck and when I checked I initially though it was the ramp flap. It wasn’t even touching it rather resting in the valley.
RIP clear coat.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Mylar is damaged... stern has a cliffy style fix that was implemented on later runs

1 month later
#5083 4 years ago

Looks like stern still having issues.. bunch nib games on Facebook have insert issues and what looks like planking but it's something else. Games were maiden and Jurassic park

5 months later
#6526 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

A:IQ Pro, day two on location:
[quoted image]
Dimpling doesn't seem to be as deep as JP, though. More what I would typically expect and way less noticable:
[quoted image]

Post allready break off the dr strange mech?

3 weeks later
#6720 3 years ago

Someone in one of the g@r threads posted a playfield date of dec 19 2019 I believe . So not sure if the new process was used on the first 100 or so playfields? If any other owners can chime in on some dates and if there are issues that be nice.

#6974 3 years ago

Yep.. I was a b/w snob the first few years in the hobby... then I gave stern and jjp pins a try and well....the rest is history. Stern and jjp pins really shine at home and offer so much. I still love the b/w pins but they just don't hold up.as long at home as well as newer stuff imo. I like to have a good mix of stern, jjp and b/w pins .

#7058 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Ghosted? No, they are slightly frosted so noone goes blind from the whole game RGB show.
That's a question I've been meaning to ask though. What other games use RGB in all the GIs too?

Woz, potc, wonka, g@r and I believe all American pinball pins use rgb in the gi along with some spooky pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,500 (OBO)
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigd1979.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=bigd1979 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.