IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aukraut.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#195 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Does the washer make it worse??

Theoretically the washer should help, as it increases the contact area and spreads out the downward pressure, lessening it onto any given point. Apparently it's not enough though.....

2 weeks later
#1326 4 years ago

Is it just me, or are the JP2 LEs taking a LONG time to ship compared to previous Stern releases, as if they are being held up for some reason? Heck, even the code release yesterday was PRO only, which confirms that no LEs haven't shipped....

#1369 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

This is the part I struggle with. How could it have possibly taken a over a year for Stern to realize there was a problem? Did they truly not know or did they ship machines despite knowing the playfield issues existed?

90% of their customers (both Pinsiders and non-Pinsiders) will never see this on their playfield as an issue on their own. However, over the last 18-24 months It has now occurred long enough & often enough that a critical mass of complaints has been achieved.

#1371 4 years ago

The other thing is that timing wise this couldn't have come at a worse time for Stern. Their last 2 cornerstone pins (Munsters & BKSOR) were not all they hoped to be in sales, and now that they have a very high possibility of a massive hit on their hands in Jurassic Park these playfield issues finally come to a boil.....

#1427 4 years ago

As I mentioned in the other thread, looking at that LE playfield up close makes me think that they may have resolved the bubbling issue at the posts. All the bubbling and pooling on Pros and other Stern pins shows the paint underneath adhering to the clearcoat as it bubbles up, making it look like an adherence issue between the artwork and the wood. By not having artwork there and only clearcoat it *may* resolve it, as they may have found that the printed artwork being the issue when stressed at a post.

#1455 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

So same clear but it will be tougher to notice around post? What about the rest of the playfield? Why do I have bad feeling someone invested big money in a new clear system and they don’t want to abandon it. I still don’t feel confident. Would be nice to actually hear what they are doing formula wise. I know...I know. Admitting guilt.

I really don't think it's a clear issue, to me it has always looked like an adhesion between artwork and wood. Things that support that theory:

- Pictures of bubbling/pooling/ripples always show the artwork coming up with the clear
- Stern & Mirco(JJP) both having this issue, using a direct artwork digital print technique
- CGC not having the issue, and last I've seen is they still use screened printing

While I can't find the reference, I've also seen posted on here where Stern quit using CGC for the playfield printing about 18-24 months ago to do their own, and the timing of these issues starting around the same time.

All these point to the digital ink having some kind of adhesion issue from the digital process, probably due to the specific type of ink being used by these digital printers. That digital ink is probably not designed to such a high stress usage printed onto a surface that continues to contract & expand over it's life.

I do agree with you it would be nice to get some kind of confirmation of what actually did happen once the smoke clears (no pun intended)....

#1474 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

We know that Stern has removed the art under posts on newly built Jurassic Parks, but does anybody know if they've also done this in areas under ball guides?
We've seen the art and clear blistering/bunching/pooling/chipping under ball guides as well as posts, so I'm just wondering if they addressed the ball guide issue. My AC/DC Luci VE has blistering under a few posts as well as 2 ball guides (that I can see), so I'd like to know if they've tried to correct the issue with both posts and guides.

There is a pic in the thread that shows all posts, even under the ball guides, now have no artwork under them. Just check thru the topic gallery.

#1519 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Thats one seriously ruined playfield

Quoted from Jvspin:

Yeah, I thought DPs were supposed to be good, darn.

I don't see how ANY playfield, no matter what it's painted with, is going to withstand that type of damage from a misinstalled or misdesigned ballguide. That damage those ballguides caused, and I agree its ugly, would happen on ANY playfield when a metal edge ball guide is torgued down that hard. They needed to install a washer at those ball guide rods to avoid that, to raise that metal edge so that it no longer digs into the playfield.

Incorrectly installed ball guides causing damage to playfields has been going on since they started being used. While I 100% agree Stern & JJP have had some serious artwork and clearcoat issues, one could have used the most expensive clearcoat/paint in the world and not prevented a ballguide doing damage like that when it's misinstalled.

#1729 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I just don't understand how Stern never had all these PF issues until 2015ish and now can't seem to fix the problems over several years and machines. Unacceptable.

Technology and manufacturer change. They went from contracting to Churchill/CGC making playfields via screen printing to doing it in house via digital printing.

The JP2 LE reports so far are encouraging, so maybe there is some hope going forward. Unfortunately that still leaves a lot of people with issues from the last few years.....

1 week later
#2191 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Who sells those?

Mezelmods is a US distributor for PU Parts in Europe, and others may carry it as well

I have them on my GOTG and BM66, great product

1 week later
#2526 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

I actually considered it until I took into account the hassle involved. Would have cost me About $300 in shipping plus I didn’t have the original shipping box, etc. Time will tell if I made the right decision or not.

With you getting a spare PF I'd get the stuff together to do those repairs that Yelobird detailed and fix the one you got....

3 weeks later
#2783 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Holy shit, and this is with the "new" art with the gaps. So that didn't solve the problem. Yikes.

Yes, it's a problem, but a different problem than the pooling/chipping that 95% of this thread has been about. This was human error/carelessness during the assembly by putting gouges into the playfield and NOT a clearcoat/ink adhesion issue causing pooling.

Apples and oranges.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aukraut.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=aukraut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.