IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Talon2000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#600 4 years ago

Well add my IMDN LE to the list.. I just checked, every post has bubbles or blisters, and Munsters Premium which is 5 months old.

#605 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Funny, I just saw a Ted Nugent that still looks great!

Even my Nugent beat as it is, is still in good shape.

#900 4 years ago

Where's Stern with this? I just paid in full for a replacement.

#1042 4 years ago

I haven't had a chance to completely look over the PF but from what I have seen so far the holes that need resessing are milled after the clear. I've done probably 20 PF swaps and IM looks easier than TAF. Mylared areas came with. Incase you are wondering yes I paid full replacement price.

20190906_195234 (resized).jpg20190906_195234 (resized).jpg
#1051 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

why did you get another playfield already?

To replace the one with the damage around the posts where the clear and ink is lifting.

#1267 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Has anyone heard back from Stern on this issue? Its not much, but it at least JJP is recognizing that its an issue and have provided free play fields to people who are affected....has Stern done anything?

Just the standard we have forwarded your pictures email to Engineering, and QC

#1379 4 years ago

New Elvira Teaser on FB and people have forgotten there is even a PF problem at all, $$$$$ in hand

#1510 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

If anyone who has reported these issues to Stern in recent weeks gets anything other than radio silence (like I have) please share it here.

It took several calls to Stern after initial email with pictures. I was told that QC has determined this to be Normal. That the clear is solid and hard (which it's not, it's a frigging blister) To which I was told to send in more pictures showing that I could press down on the affected areas, which I did, and sent video. Nothing back. I will be calling again.

However I was also told that many people are calling about this (as they should be).

#1522 4 years ago

Promo photos of Elvira. Already shows blistering!!

FB_IMG_1568824770767 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1568824770767 (resized).jpg
#1586 4 years ago

I just got my new Elvira Pin, or rather spent my money I saved for Elvira on a CGC game. Much happier.

20190917_161512 (resized).jpg20190917_161512 (resized).jpg
#1591 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Let's play a guessing game before Talon2000 tells us. I'm guessing node boards.

LOL.. What's wrong with them is they are Stern games. They can't be used they will fall apart. Poor little Snowflake machines.

I got a new machine with some Balls.

#1601 4 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

I was thinking I’d see what the LE owners have to say before I send a check.

Owning two LE's (not JP) with these issues, and seeing the issues on Current JP's I would cancel your order. Don't waste your money. Get a CGC game, or wait for Deeproot, or someone else who cares about customer service, and care about the quality of their product.

#1619 4 years ago

This is helping a little.

FB_IMG_1525379792235 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1525379792235 (resized).jpg
#1620 4 years ago

My latest NIB purchase.

received_885773725127688 (resized).jpegreceived_885773725127688 (resized).jpeg
#1625 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Until you taste it.

Don't like English ale huh? Taste better than Bud, Miller, Coors, or any of that other piss water

#1630 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

No, not widespread at all Stern.
My IMDN LE has it, Musters LE and looks like my BK3 LE is starting to pool, will check my SW later.

My Star Wars LE is good, other than the Dimples.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1653 4 years ago

With the obvious problems with the clear coat and art work de-laminating with pressure, what do you suppose the new Elvira is going to look like in short order with the right side VUK kicking the ball out to the middle of the PF? I have a hunch that the center of that PF is going to start peeling post haste. Then it will start chipping, and more peeling as the ball rolls over it.

#1654 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

As soon as I saw the pictures of washers I knew it was an snap reaction, trying to spread out the surface area of the post by adding a larger washer was never going to fix this simply delay it and like you said above simply makes the clearcoat wrinkling spread out wider and the damaged area larger

Yup I've seen the same issue with games with washers too. So now they've pushed the damage out further, which then decrease the distance from the ball. I think the ones with washers are going to start peeling away faster.

#1662 4 years ago

New Stern balls for your Elvira

foamballs (resized).jpgfoamballs (resized).jpg
#2054 4 years ago

Well having actually cleared over a digital print. I looks like the printing did not soak into, or adhere to the wood, it has no bit into the substrate at all. The clear coat then softened the art. Then something gouged the art, causing it to peel with the clear clean off the wood. If the art was applied correctly to the wood, time given before clear, and time between clear coats, this would have most likely been a scratch, and not a peel. Point being ink should not peel off the wood leaving bare wood. There's not even an ink stain on that wood.

Basically it should not be tearing and pulling away from the wood, it should just be a scratch. Poor prep, and incompatible products.

Quoted from Chambahz:

You ought to relax, seriously.
That playfield is messed up for sure, and I posted support in the LE thread that he should escalate to Stern and expect them to back him up, 100% (just so you know where I'm coming from) -but as I posted there, that looks like a screw ripped through the wet clear and artwork while in the factory.
Owner confirmed that the peeled paint is covered in clear, so unless you know better, I'd say it's not as you described, "paint just flaking off".
I think it's really important to figure out what caused that "tear" in the artwork. If you are somehow correct, then yes, all bets are off and maybe it's best for everyone to wait this out.
But if you're all fired up and yelling "fire!, fire!" when it's just a one-off caused by a sharp screw in the apron that tore through the clear and art at installation, then that's a one-off, and likely not an issue that should frighten potential buyers.
I posted in the other thread that if anyone with a JPLE wants to remove the apron, to see if a screw is located anywhere near there, that might support my theory.
I think the benefit of a place like Pinside is when you have owners helping other owners, not raising pitchforks without much information.
Any other opinions on the cause of that "tear" is welcome, of course!

#2085 4 years ago

Yeah it looks different, but it's all part of the same problem/issue. I have a feeling his game got gouged while everything was still soft. My thoughts on why the clear is still soft is incompatible products used. The ink is reacting with the clear. I have seen this issue before with paints. Eventually everything will harden, but that's not going to stop the ink/clear from chipping and peeling from the playfield as nothing is adhering. My guess would also be that the ink/clear will stick better to plastic inserts, and judging by the removal of the art around post, the clear appears to not have an issue sticking to bare wood.

Should have stuck with enamels and screening art.

Quoted from zaphX:

This looks a lot different (and worse) than the pooling issue we've been obsessing about. This is just straight up damage. Have you reached out to your distributor/Stern about a resolution? I'm a big believer in giving people a chance to make things right.

1 week later
#2315 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

No comment from Stern since my Maiden LE was acknowledged to be passed on to QC over a month ago.
Really wanted a JP and Elvira. I’ve since picked up four solid states and I have an Iron Man on the way.
They can continue sweeping this under the rug and I’ll continue not buying their latest games.

Same

#2510 4 years ago

Few hundred more plays and it just get's worse. Still no word from Stern, phone calls and emails. Still waiting.

20191009_201145 (resized).jpg20191009_201145 (resized).jpg20191009_201200 (resized).jpg20191009_201200 (resized).jpg
#2517 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

This is the original and not the new playfield you purchased from Stern correct? I really hope the replacement playfields are better.
How long have you been waiting on Stern's response? Have you tried your distributor?
Sorry you're having this problem and I hope Stern makes it right.

Yes that's the Original PF. Keeping the unused stored for a while, as it may have the same issues.

2 weeks later
#2749 4 years ago

Yeah I've heard nothing from stern on my issues. More art just keeps coming off. 2+ months.

#2774 4 years ago

So is anyone hearing from Stern? How many with defective play fields are constantly emailing, or calling Stern?

#2862 4 years ago

So Stern finally replied. They said they are willing to send me an unpopulated Playfield.

#2865 4 years ago
Quoted from Returner:

Is the playfield for Iron Maiden?
Do you know if they done any changes to fix the problem, maybe no art under the posts like they did on JP?

Yes for maiden.

I highly doubt it, probably left over stock, or seconds

#2878 4 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

Have you ever performed a playfield swap?

Not on a new stern.

#2880 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

What happened to sending out populated PFs? That is what Stern did before with similar issues. Stern has watered down just about every part of a pinball machine and now they water down their PF replacement policy. I wouldn’t give them my money. No way.

Was told they are no longer doing that.

7 months later
#5322 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I posted this 44 days ago since then two chipping pics have been posted one JJP one Stern seems to be a lot of hype

I stopped buying from Stern, and currently am only buying from CGC.

6 months later
#7346 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I can’t wait to see Stern LED Zeppelins playfield issues next month in this thread. Waiting patiently.

By now the people buying these things should know better. If they buy it then come here complaining about PF pooling, chipping lifting etc.. Then they should be booted from the thread. Look Everyone here has know about this issue for over 7000 posts. They should know by now, they are wasting money on crap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Talon2000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=Talon2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.