IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T3quila.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3380 4 years ago
#3385 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

All true but the paint doesnt chip off of even the cheap cars and It wouldn't be considered acceptable if it did, not by you or anyone else.

Run consistently steel ball bearings with high speed over the hood of your car and post pictures how it holds up.

But I agree, I wonder if the clear coat chemicals changed.

#3387 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Old games have had steel ball bearing rolling around in then for many many years and they hold up for lots of plays. I'm talking about brand new out of the box 6-10K games that have shit clearcoat. That is not normal Nd it is not acceptable. I do think that the clearcoat has changed due to EPA BS and I think that's exactly where the problem lies. The only part that I dont understand is some recent games have been ok and some arent.

I was just messing with you.

I would figure the clear coat chemicals themselves are probably machine mixed so you can likely remove that variable.

That leaves inconsistencies in the wood. Maybe the moisture content is inconsistent and having an effect.

Next is environment. Temperature control, relative humidity, cleanliness.

Application process is next: thickness of each layer, drying time in between ( may be affected by environment above) and obviously how good and consistent the person is spaying it.

That's what I can think on top of my head and I'm sure there is more.

There are lots of moving targets and anyone not being optimal can lead to a subpar outcome.

But you are right, that problem was already solved and for the price there is no excuse. I certainly wouldn't accept it on a car, and not anything else that costs 4 digits and above.

#3429 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m a bit late to this party, is Stern making the playfields in house currently or still outsourcing that portion of the business. If Stern is not going to make an announcement that the issue has been addressed, how will we know when it’s been addressed? Apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge on this subject...but there are a lot of posts in this thread.

There will be never an announcement that it has been addressed, because that would imply admission of a problem from Stern's side. Not going to happen.

#3434 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The multiple art and clear vendors may be why some Stern playfields are perfect and another has issues. This has now resulted in the playfield quality lottery, a game customers shouldn't have to play at these prices.

I wonder if they can track specific playfields back to specific vendors used for cc. If that's the case they should have a pretty good handle on addressing the issue, assuming the problem is not across the vendors.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3439 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

....you licked your playfield? You have some strange hobbies...

See the playfield, feel the playfield, smell the playfield, taste the playfield, BECOME THE PLAYFIELD!

#3517 4 years ago

Stupid question because I am interested buying a new Stern game:
It's there no recourse as a buyer? Anything else if it is defective either the manufacturer has to fix it at their cost including sending a tech out to fix it and cover parts and labor or they take the product back and you get your money reimbursed.

This sounds pretty bad as I could be stuck with a lemon and have no options from what I have been reading here.

Sorry if that had been covered, but I'm pretty new to the hobby.
Also I'm not trying to troll, genuine question.

#3521 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Unless you use a credit card for payment you are at the mercy of your distributor (and to some extent Stern) if you have a problem other than with the electronics in the first few months. Although Stern typically does a good job at support for small things their warranty is more whatever they decide it is rather than what you describe.
If you are new to the hobby you may want to consider starting with older, less expensive games that you can fully inspect before buying. If you do want to go the NIB route remember that ANY new game is likely going to require minor adjustments and tweaking during setup and that you probably won’t know for some time if the playfield has/will have issues.

Thanks for the answer, that's a bummer though.
I bought recently my first machine from API through flip n out pinball and both of them have been nothing short of awesome in helping me to get it up and running and iron out some initial smaller problems. That's why I was pretty optimistic in buying nib after that experience.

#3522 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Just opened my NIB Jurassic Park LE. I had nothing but great luck with Stern in the past with Iron Maiden LE being the first that had the dreaded softer wood.
Now this Jurassic Park. The grain shows heavily and a 3 inch ball drop (tested under Apron) resulted in a deep dimple. I had to reseat all posts etc as the soft wood had sunken in on all of them. All posts were lose, some I was able to rotate freely.
Guess my luck ran out. Installed a playfield protector. Took around 2 hours straight, playfield now looks like a MILLION bucks and the gameplay feels exactly like my protector-less pins.
Yes I understand, most dislike those protectors - but realize that we did not need them in the past (hence they were ridiculous).
From here on out I will not unbox one single game without protector in hand. Even it that means that the game has to remain unplayed for a few weeks until the protector becomes available from Germany.
As for you who is new to the hobby, installing a protector may be a tall ask unfortunately. I would not sweat it too much as those grains and dimples are purely cosmetic.

Thanks for the answer, ya taking off everything scares the s*** Out of me. I dread the day where I will have to take all this off to replace all the rubber rings. So I suppose, used game it is then. I have some time to wait anyway since I want one of the stranger things and it will take a while until they will start showing up used I imagine.

#3561 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

I found the chunk that fell off[quoted image]

You just started the puzzle wizard mode.

#3570 4 years ago

I reread more of this thread - if I understand this right, this is all due to softer playfield stock?
Tried to fix it with thicker clear -> pooling and chipping
Reduced clear to original thickness -> dimples

Can't they just go back to harder playfields possibly at increased cost?
So what am I missing? If it would be that easy I figure they would have done that already.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T3quila.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=T3quila and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.