Topic Stats

• 5,317 posts
  • 510 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 142 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 562 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20200521-213132_Twitter (resized).jpg
unnamed (resized).jpg
642032C2-C6C1-418C-BE3C-8B1D8C4A3B31 (resized).jpeg
9A527BE9-B958-4049-A9ED-B98A2BB42AE7 (resized).jpeg
7D63E251-6521-4714-849C-7DD28C5B78FE (resized).jpeg
download.jpeg-1 (resized).jpg
30F998F8-9EDE-4115-83BE-8048FFE5698E (resized).jpeg
EA9C65D9-3232-44A3-A0E2-4C34C6920BE8 (resized).jpeg
DE610629-B54A-484F-9195-D74E5C40E729 (resized).jpeg
A820B0A7-D9D1-48C6-95B5-3EAA4B6F5430 (resized).jpeg
IMDN2 (resized).JPG
IMDN (resized).JPG
DP2 (resized).JPG
DP (resized).JPG
tenor (2).gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Richthofen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1055 9 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

my engine has blown up in my car. BMW dropped a new engine off and I'm doing the swap myself.
Are you guys serious? A replacement playfield on its own is +nowhere+ NEAR an acceptable solution to this. Please please please for the love of god stop saying it is.
Cheers,
Neil.

This is a bit disingenuous. If your BMW's engine blows up, it ceases to function as a car. If your playfield has clearcoat issues, it still operates and earns as an amusement device.

Clearcoat chipping on a playfield is probably better compared to clearcoat chipping on your car. Unfortunately Pinball distributors don't have full service departments with paint shops. And it's way harder to schlep your pinball machine around than it is to drive your BMW to the paint shop.

This is a growing pain of pinball moving from a mostly operator-purchased product for commercial use to a collectible item for the home. Stern, Williams, others, they could survive scrutiny from a bad batch of playfields because operators put them on location, earned a ton of money for a few years, then warehoused them. Didn't matter if the clearcoat chipped. Game still earned.

I asked Gary Stern at ReplayFX 2018 about why they kept selling through distributors and not direct, because finding a distributor isn't an obvious thing. But I think it makes sense, Stern does not want to ramp up a large customer service network and deal with every imperfection in a commercial, hand assembled piece of equipment. I also don't know if the major manufacturers could sell at the prices they do or achieve profitability if they could possibly be sunk by a bad run of playfields.

#1060 9 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

A couple of years ago, this would have been a disaster.

Really? I bought my NIB Tron Pro, last run, from Stern in April 2013. It dimpled as I played it. Was fine since I mean most of the games I had ever seen were dimpled. How is that a disaster?

The scoop wore too. That's what happens with pinball machines. They get played. If you don't want a game to wear, don't play it. Now, games with whole chunks of art coming up after low plays is a different matter. But pinball machines dimple. there's plenty of threads about that. Calling it a disaster is strange.

1 week later
#1424 8 months ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Does CGC/Spooky really use better wood in their playfields? If so good for them. Competition is good for quality. Step it up Stern.

I thought Stern ordered cabinets and playfield a from Churchill, same place CGC did?

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/churchill/index.html

#1431 8 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Stern has addressed the issue ... all post areas now have no art and have a big circle around them.

Wouldn't be the first time this design decision was made. My WPT has skinny posts but countersunk with no art and topside t-nuts.

image-19[1] (resized).jpg
#1460 8 months ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Why do I have bad feeling someone invested big money in a new clear system and they don’t want to abandon it.

Occam's razor says the simplest explanation is most likely to be the correct one. Playfields are probably done in batches. A batch of playfields could have been bad for whatever reason (incorrect mix, incorrect application, who knows?) Why can't it be that the batch was bad, which might explain why the problem isn't on everyone's game? Never attribute to malice (or cost-cutting) that which is adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlon's razor)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Richthofen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside