IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Midway-Man.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#712 4 years ago

I don't own any of those affected new games. But could it be that they simply use to much(thick) clearcoat? I checked my Ghostbusters playfield, wich are also known for not being the best quality playfields. The clearcoat looks a lot thinner compared to those new models. My GB does not have any clear coat issues around any posts.

3 weeks later
#1889 4 years ago

This has now been mentioned a few times. The clear coat isn’t the issue with this whole pooling situation. Since the paint does stick to the clear coat wich does eventually crack lose. It’s a paint issue. The paint does come of the wood wich shouldn’t happen.

Stern has had clear coat issues back in 2016 when GB was released. But this issue has been mostly addressed. The issue we have now is a different story.

4 months later
#4656 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Sledgehammer to new playfield? The times they are a changing. Competition breeds better quality. Or at least an attempt at better

It looks like. There is some Lexan or some sort of Acrylic on top of the playfield. It doesn’t look like a wood surface.

5 months later
#5896 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Not to sound like a dick or to defend Stern's quality, but that issue sounds pretty minor. I had a friend that wanted to buy a machine but had no interest in learning to fix it. After much back and forth, I convinced him not to buy one. Dive in or get ready for constant frustration. It's always been this way in pinball, but Stern does take it to new highs.

Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

When I purchased my last NIB stern I asked my distributor what I should do I were to ever have a problem with the machine. I was told that the distributor can do nothing to help the customer. He then told me if I have any kind of problems to contact stern directly. I would rather deal with stern directly anyways so I had no problem with his answer.

Some friends who play my games ask me, if they can buy their own machine. I always reply sure, but expect them to brake. Since it's a mechanical game, there will always go something wrong. So they better know or learn how to fix it.
Sure I am helping my friends in the beginning when something goes wrong. But I can't always come over to fix it.
So pinball owners should learn to repair basic stuff like adjusting switches which are not behaving as they should be, learn how to solder wires back on, replace lamps or rubbers in tight locations, which does require to partially disassemble the game and so on...
Of course I can't expect them to diagnose broken PCBs and replace ICs and stuff... But basics should everyone able to fix.

It's like having old cars.
You can either learn to maintain and fix it yourself. Or pay someone to do so, which will end up being expensive...
Or option 3 leave it alone and pretend it is fully working

4 months later
#7296 3 years ago

Is someone here who has received a replacement playfield for chipping clear coat in the shooter lane?
I need help for a friend. He has ordered almost 15Nib games in the past 5 years. Now he is having playfield issues for the first time with his TMNT.
The shooter lane has chipped with just under 100 games. Stern is only willing to send a clear coat touch-up kit.
But this is not acceptable for a game which cost 6000€ and more.

If someone has had a similar situation it would be nice if he could contact me via PM

Thanks in advance!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 32.99
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop
Men
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairmount, IN
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
$ 16.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
Decals
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Midway-Man.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=Midway-Man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.