IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#279 4 years ago

I think it will be interesting to see how Stern addresses this in comparison to JJP., and how really widespread it is between the 2 ( may never really know that one)

Primarily the new games (JP2 for Stern, POTC and Wonka for JJP).

Ultimately, this will be a pricey issue to address properly....

1 week later
#741 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Absolutely! ... whatever presents in one place IS common to the entire playfield. They'll end up like that picture of the WOZ with only bare wood around the pop, once the art lifts from the ply and the clear/art flakes away. Surprises for the future.

Agreed and painfully logical. Sling posts are the first area of stress, but over the life of the game, the ball is gonna pound every area. Many other areas are going to appear. Is what it is

#742 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

TBH this problem could be in the millions of $ (in profits) and incredibly nasty to correct. I have no doubt they are meeting with their lawyers, insurance, vendors etc etc. If it's as big as it's looking (right now) it could be an industry defining moment depending on how they handle it. I have no issue with them taking as long as they need (within reason) to formulate a plan.

The only plan is populated replacement play fields, period.

Question will be if they have business insurance to cover this massive cost.

People buy games from manufacturers, not parts vendors, so they are on the hook.

This is big. Only way to move forward imho is to insure future offerings don't have this issue, and existing owners be made whole w a suitable offer ( partial refund, populated of, or exchange for new, corrected game.

I don't see any of that happening from JJP, and would even test Stern, depending on how many of their games are affected.

#754 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I have some experience with business insurance and it typically includes a very large deductible and is mainly intended to protect against secondary damages, e.g. a part supplied to Boeing is defective and causes the plane to crash. The more likely scenario is that the playfield vendor is liable to JJP/Stern for the direct (cost of playfield) and secondary (cost to swap playfield and loss of sales) damages. This assumes that JJP/Stern were able to negotiate good warranty terns with the supplier. If the vendor has insurance AND is liable for secondary damages, the insurance company may be motivated to quickly settle to minimize secondary damages. I doubt insurance would cover “minor” cosmetic issues like rippling that haven’t caused de-lamination - this is likely why JJP/Stern published letters excluding clearcoat “variations” but stopped short of claiming de-lamination is normal.

The big question is what is considered "minor". Where and tear, dings, dents, mechanical, hardware, software bugs, etc. Are minor and expected.

Knowing the art and clear are going to separate from the wood due to a defect with a greatly accelerated pace is a defect. I think when other areas start showing is when shit is really gonna hit the fan.

#755 4 years ago

Knowing virtually every game from JJP POTC moving forward has this potential could be devastating. Hoping Stern only had a couple runs w defective play fields, and is already getting solid replacements in place.

#757 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Did you see post 727, looks gross!

Yep...No way this is limited to post areas...Did they do this process just to these areas? Nope... entire playfield.... the cost of replacement, populated pfs will pale in comparison to sales dropping off a cliff, imho..

#765 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

My AFMr is flawless in every way shape and form. (Both of my post-2018 Stern tables have issues with less than 500 plays.)

So is mine, and my Munsters LE is literally problem free, w over 600 plays to date.

Seems JP is the biggie for Stern, POTC and Wonka for JJP.

There are always isolated incidents, beyond.

For JJP to stop POTC so soon after such a long delay, and next game have the same pf issues is devastating.

Definitely in a pinball funk lately, regarding any new purchase

#1007 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

While the unpopulated playfield is a nice gesture, it feels like a total half-measure. Why would the end user want 2 playfields anyway? Isn't the desired result 1 good playfield?
I feel theres only really 3 acceptable outcomes here, baring in mind that JJP is a smaller company and they can't just ship out 500+ populated playfields without going bankrupt.
#1 Unpopulated playfield, 1000$ discount on a future purchase. This solves both problems without bankrupting the company. It takes care of the people with problems, and wins back customer loyalty/confidence. Sure they're taking a major hit on a future machine, but likely still making a profit and guaranteeing future sales.
#2 Populated playfield or full machine swap. Seems like a no brainer, JJP gets the parts back and can use them on future machines, for which they have the expertise to depopulate and populate without much trouble. Buyer is 100% happy here as well.
#3 Return for a refund. Obvious, why is this not an option since the machines are defective?
I would pretty much guarantee that Mediocre-co is on the hook for most or all of this anyway. Their business is the one that will surely go under if JJP has to take the hit, no way they'll use them again (or anyone else for that matter). And surely there are insurance or contracts between JJP and chip-co that cover this sort of situation.
Now as for Stern, the only real solution for them is #2 or #3. They're a big business and they can handle it.

I think #2 or #3 are the only acceptable options for either company. I just believe only one company can handle it, fiscally.

1 week later
#1499 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

With Sterns current stance I am looking for my next pin to be Wonka or GnR as if I have issues I know Jack will back it up. Might take a little time, understandably, but he has proven to me that he will take care of his customers.

??? you're kidding, correct?

#1502 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

From what I read JJP originally offered new pf for 550$ and then changed it to free pf. People that had already paid the 550$ were contacted and given refunds.

Unpopulated (crazy to expect a customer to attempt this), and haven't seen any posts showing the replacements were any better.

How have the pin(s) that really brought the issues in our faces w almost a total fail rate and low, low plays been forgotten?....JJP POTC...good grief

1 week later
#2159 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

So this is an interesting, promising development. Last night I played a freshly unboxed JPLE. It had the old style playfield, with art all the way under star posts, and no washers (except under the third flipper post). I checked all the problem areas with my phone flashlight. It looked absolutely perfect.
Pretty sure the local Chicago distributor had just picked it up Thursday or Friday, so it’s very newly made. Sorry I forgot to check the date. Anyway, for Stern to ship a game at this point with art under posts and no washers, means they at least think they have it figured out. Or so I hope.

Great news....Games shouldn't need washers, period. Suspect Stern has the horsepower ( $$$) to get a corrected solution in place pretty quick..
They've provided them before, no reason they can't do it again.

How's the JJP side going? I don't come in these threads often, as there are many.

#2161 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

From my POV that's a side effect of the clear not being what it once was. Not the root cause but not sure we will ever know for sure.

Agreed...As long as it's fixed, I don't care. Until then, out on NIB...

1 week later
#2378 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Yes. The distributor will be bringing it over, installing it, and sending the old one back for me.

This is huge news!!!! thanks for sharing...has JJP done this once yet for POTC owners (hoping so)? Truly curious, as I just drop in now and then...might have missed it.

The thread is about Stern AND JJP, correct?

1 month later
#3019 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

File a chargeback with your credit card company.

My Distros (2 used) have always required a check or wire for the game when ready to ship. Need to know who accepts plastic, as it's the only way I'm buying NIB from either company moving forward...have a MMrRE coming from Rick, but truthfully don't have pf worries on this one.

#3021 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Patience is key. We have 2 games with pooling, no chipping yet. Keep playing your games, and keep emailing Stern yourself.
We have waited a year before to get a result. Do not give up, I think Stern are counting on that. Persistence will pay off. That is our plan.
I think if people start posting all their pooling and chipping, this will hurt Stern. Right now, people have been patiently waiting for a response. I do not think that is too much to ask. Just a response from Stern.

Agreed...as I only jump in this thread on occasion, can I confirm - Stern HAS sent populated playfields to those who persisted, at a snails crawl. Has JJP done the same to this point (sent at least 1 populated pf to the POTC owners)? sincerely curious. Thanks...

#3023 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

And? Shit product is still being purchased regardless of entity bought from. Enough Distro’s take a hit it goes right to Manufacturers lap. Try ignoring the phone then when Distro’s stop buying.

This^^^^ these things are getting priced so high, the customer has to have some sort of protection. Hoping a wake up call is the one that they are hearing and answering. If I'm willing to drop $10k on a game, 3% CC add means nothing, if I automatically get double the warranty, and a single call to AMEX is all I have to do to resolve/ return anything.

Think the days of the end user accepting all the risk on an item w such a major defect will be ending in the near future (starting with me).

#3025 4 years ago

Post up some pics of the MMrRE. Nice choice! we have a standard MMr and love it. I think we will be buying all the upgrades.
I do not think you will have to worry about pooling with CGC.

Will do....Very excited for this one!!!

#3027 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Last time I checked classicgamerooms.com still took cc. I like Jason.

Thanks!!! Definitely taking this route if another NIB gets on the radar....

#3031 4 years ago

I think we also need to be patient so Stern can start making older playfields without the playfield art going right up to the posts.
No good if you get a IMDN, DP or MUN playfield and it is the same as the one you already have. Same shit will happen. Wait until the playfields have been remade, start demanding stuff then.
I like the CC idea but how long before you can make a charge back? If the game is 2 years old, I am not so sure the CC company will accept the charge back.

Got lucky on my MunstersLE...Scratch test, whole OCD in full force...Bullet dodged...

I've never bought a pin w a cc, and feel sort of foolish now. Never again. AMEX platinum offers immediate double factory warranty, and are absolutely a one stop protection path. Not sure about limitations on timeline to dispute, but definitely finding out.

#3032 4 years ago

I do believe Stern will get this right ( when, I have no idea), but I literally haven't seen a JJP post regarding populated play field replacement on a single case. Maybe I missed it.

Love my WOZ ECLE, Eric and the guys at JJP...just don't believe what I'm seeing ( or not seeing to be more accurate)

#3037 4 years ago

What about a disputed charge? I've disputed defective product w Corp platinum for a lot more, and they covered me... I'll call tomorrow for clarification.
If I dispute they didn't send me what I paid for...Think it's a healthy approach

#3038 4 years ago

Found it, but can't copy the link ( on my phone)...Under " extended warranty"...

2 additional years on top of manufacturer's warranty, 10k per incident, 50k per calendar year per cardholder.

If they can't fix it, they have to replace or refund....I'm sure there's conditions, but want to give them this exact scenario and see what they say

#3040 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Ice linked the wrong document.
You need to review Amex Purchase Protection.
II. DESCRIPTION OF BENEFITS
What is Covered
The Plan will pay a benefit for an item up to $10,000 for any one Covered Incident and up to $50,000 for all Covered Incidents per Card Member Account during a calendar year for:
1. The lesser of:
a. the cost to repair the item;
b. the cost to replace the item; or
c. reimbursement for the item.
2. A Covered Incident related to Natural Disaster will have a maximum per occurrence limit of $500 for any one Covered Incident.
For Accounts eligible and enrolled in the Membership Rewards Points and/or Pay with Points program(s), an item is eligible for coverage under this Plan if it was purchased through the redemption of Membership Rewards Points and/or Pay with Points. Our benefit payment will not exceed the amount of the Membership Reward Points and/or Pay with Points You redeemed to purchase the item. Benefits will not be paid when redemption of Membership Rewards Points and/or Pay with Points have been transferred to a non-eligible card account or non-Card Members.
Our benefit payment will not include payment of expenses or fees related to shipping and handling, installation, assembly, professional advice, maintenance or other service charges or any product rebates, discounts or money received from lowest price comparison programs that reduced the original cost of the item. Our benefit payment will not exceed the amount charged to Your Account (including applicable sales tax). Repair must be performed by an authorized repair facility or other professional repair facility, as outlined in the manufacturer’s warranty.
Length of Coverage
Purchase Protection provides benefits, for one hundred and twenty (120) days (ninety (90) days for New York Residents) from the date of purchase, if a Covered Incident occurs with respect to the item You purchased and charged to Your Account.
Only a Card Member has a legal and equitable right to any insurance benefit that may be available under this plan.

That's the one!!! AMEX kicks serious ass.. couple that to 2 extra years of warranty....

#3052 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Automated up in Connecticut takes plastic for payment.

That's where I'd gotten my NIB prior...Have to verify w Mike, as he's a great guy too. Never used plastic as I don't carry debt for these things, but it sure seems the protection is needed lately ( and I'd just clear the AMEX bill).

Guess I never asked, and was never offered... I'll be asking...

#3063 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Automated is outstanding, and is who I have purchased all of my NIB from. When I asked about the "cleargate" dilemma before recently purchasing my DP pro he was completely aware of the problems and 100% assured me that if anything happened relating to that issue that I would be taken care of quickly and without issue which solidified my purchase decision, again.

He is where I've gotten all but 1 of my NIB from.....outstanding company, but have worries that even he couldn't help if the factory doesn't stand behind the product.

#3065 4 years ago

AMEX UPDATE:

Spoke with AMEX Platinum support about an hour ago, and posed this exact question:

"Can you provide additional information on how AMEX extended warranty/ service plans could help if I buy a $10k pinball machine, and a serious electrical or build problem develops in x amount of months?" Addressed both the playfields and expensive electronics with him.

He said there are several areas that AMEX would provide valuable protection on a high dollar purchase such as this. The first item they needed from me: " exact warranty statements from each company". He could then run this through their adjustment dept. and give me a definitive answer.

Can someone PM me the stated warranty from both companies? I'm sure it's posted somewhere, but want to be certain I'm giving them the right info.

Their (AMEX) extended warranty service provides anywhere from 2 to 5 years of additional coverage at no cost, if purchased w AMEX exclusively. Apparently and adjuster would decide if the machine is repairable, replaceable, etc. in regards to components as well as the entire machine.

A case request was created (told him I wasn't buying one, but wanted to be informed), and once I got them the info, they would let me know.

Sounds unbelievably promising, as it covers items valued at $10k, but not to exceed $50k in a single year.

#3070 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Warranty for stern is in the back of every manual. It only covers dmd/lcd and boards, and only for original owner. There is no warranty on the playfields. I don’t know how you would win a claim through your CC company. The only warranty extension your Amex would cover is boards/lcd. I’d bet JJPs is similar.
[quoted image]

Whoa!!! So the machines themselves don't carry any warranty as an assembly? Like a new car that only covers the engine?

Doesn't CGC offer a 2 year warranty on their games? Feeling nauseous as I type this, as it is too crazy if actually true....

So manufacturers are replacing playfields, mechs etc. out of good faith? Mind being blown....

#3073 4 years ago

Whew....looks like the company we don't need the warranty for has one....

I'll follow through, but looks like this bridge has been crossed many times prior......

#3076 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

So you basically have 30 days with jjp to file a claim if your playfield has issues. If your credit card company has a double warranty, you are at 60 days. But, you have to prove there is a defect. Is pooling a defect? Is a small chip a defect? In your eyes (and mine) yes, but maybe not to the CC company or the manufacturer.
I’m not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to think it through.
if you buy a car and the paint chips in a small spot, can you do a chargeback? The car company at best will give you touch up paint. If you buy an appliance and there is a small chip, can you do a chargeback? Same thing, they probably send touch up paint. I’m sure it’s not what people want to hear and I’m not saying chips aren’t bad, they are very bad on new games and I’d be very upset, just not sure it’s as easy as people make it sound to file a chargeback. Has anyone actually done it and been successful?
I think anyone doing a chargeback will face a steep uphill battle. Better to go to the manufacturer and seek a solution. For games with chips, people have received unpopulated playfields, which should put the next buyer of your game at ease.

AMEX adds an extra 2 YEARS to the warranty. I think a single chip wouldn't bother most. Much more concerned why it happened, and what these things will look/ play like down the road.

In your car example, GM was very in tune to color coats not sticking to the primer in around '10 (?)....started as a small grey spot, eventually entire panels were grey. They repainted alot of cars.

I don't have the pf issues on any of my games (just wear on some of the older ones), and cancelled my POTCCE and WonkaCE orders when all this started surfacing. Have never needed to file anything, and never paid with a card.

Guess I'm just sorry reading this....

#3078 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I have to agree with Lermods
I can’t possibly see getting a chargeback for pooling and realistically minor chipping as well
I think as much as it sucks, the best case we have to deal with is hope they get it right in the future or simply don’t buy their products anymore
My JPLE also has zero issues and thin clear
My MunstersLE looks great but has some some pooling. Elvira up next

Think you're right Doug....is what it is...

#3089 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

GM didn’t replace the entire car I think is the issue here Mark
Lemon laws are in effect for that if can prove a multitude of problems and issues
For me, the pf issues will get resolved if not already
I may or may not buy for the other reasons I stated above
Stripping stuff out of LE and premium games just to make an extra buck or two is FAR more concerning to me.
Make the F ing game the best it can be as originally designed! The pro is cheaper because it has less features. WTF

Agreed.....

I've never understood why LE's couldn't have more usable features, as they cost more money. Apparently, it's not an acceptable practice (all games MUST play the same) by the community, so the manufacturers are capitalizing on it. The QC is really getting to me more, actually, as it just seems nothing ever gets "finished", and overall, the machines cost alot more, but feels like we are getting less from that view.

#3091 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think you made the 100% right move getting that MMrRE

Really excited for it......a shame that one of the other 2 companies is pretty much dead to me at this point....I'm just one customer though, I guess....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,999.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Covington, LA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 22.00
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 290.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=MK6PIN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.