IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is there are simple and cheap way home owners can deal with this?
Touch up with clear nail polish or something?

In some cases, possibly, but what’s been happening is the ink has been lifting too.

1 week later
#721 4 years ago

My JP2 had larger washers than this from the factory and I had no issues on those larger posts. One smaller post had very minor pooling, covered with a rubber washer I installed.

Quoted from ezeltmann:

Sorry Stern , this issue is widespread! On location 2 days
NOT SHOWN: Right side sling post was already chipped with art removed.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

1 month later
#2690 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Very shady behavior, which is the norm in their business.

Why is it shady? A few posts up, the guy asked a question and jack answered it. Has a cause been identified, yes. Has it been fixed, yes. They aren’t going to give you details. The wonka and Elvira games I saw at expo, and there were quite a few, all looked great.

#2696 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

What was the problem? How was it remedied?
If, in fact, the issue no longer exists, JJP or Stern should answer both questions.
Rarely, is there a formal statement made by companies in this industry when issues arise. Most supposed resolutions are revealed through through third party hearsay. For instance, we hear about a customer receiving a credit/refund for their replacement play field and that’s it. The community is left guessing or assuming.
I’ve experienced defects/issues with furniture, cars, watches, appliances and stereo equipment. In all instances, the manufacturer was able to tell us why the problem occurred and how it was rectified so that it would not happen again, no mysteries. Standard practices don’t seem to exist with pinball manufacturers.

I agree it would be nice to have the how and why, but it’s a competitive (and unregulated) market and you have multiple companies with similar issues. Releasing detailed info provides a competitor with potentially valuable info. I don’t think Spooky ever released the issues behind their playfield problems, giving them the upper hand right now as their playfields are all good now.

3 weeks later
#3066 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

AMEX UPDATE:
Spoke with AMEX Platinum support about an hour ago, and posed this exact question:
"Can you provide additional information on how AMEX extended warranty/ service plans could help if I buy a $10k pinball machine, and a serious electrical or build problem develops in x amount of months?" Addressed both the playfields and expensive electronics with him.
He said there are several areas that AMEX would provide valuable protection on a high dollar purchase such as this. The first item they needed from me: " exact warranty statements from each company". He could then run this through their adjustment dept. and give me a definitive answer.
Can someone PM me the stated warranty from both companies? I'm sure it's posted somewhere, but want to be certain I'm giving them the right info.
Their (AMEX) extended warranty service provides anywhere from 2 to 5 years of additional coverage at no cost, if purchased w AMEX exclusively. Apparently and adjuster would decide if the machine is repairable, replaceable, etc. in regards to components as well as the entire machine.
A case request was created (told him I wasn't buying one, but wanted to be informed), and once I got them the info, they would let me know.
Sounds unbelievably promising, as it covers items valued at $10k, but not to exceed $50k in a single year.

Warranty for stern is in the back of every manual. It only covers dmd/lcd and boards, and only for original owner. There is no warranty on the playfields. I don’t know how you would win a claim through your CC company. The only warranty extension your Amex would cover is boards/lcd. I’d bet JJPs is similar.
A9B9EFA4-D492-4687-BC00-4F9941A21CC6 (resized).pngA9B9EFA4-D492-4687-BC00-4F9941A21CC6 (resized).png

#3072 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

JJP covers every part for 30 days.

So you basically have 30 days with jjp to file a claim if your playfield has issues. If your credit card company has a double warranty, you are at 60 days. But, you have to prove there is a defect. Is pooling a defect? Is a small chip a defect? In your eyes (and mine) yes, but maybe not to the CC company or the manufacturer.

I’m not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to think it through.

if you buy a car and the paint chips in a small spot, can you do a chargeback? The car company at best will give you touch up paint. If you buy an appliance and there is a small chip, can you do a chargeback? Same thing, they probably send touch up paint. I’m sure it’s not what people want to hear and I’m not saying chips aren’t bad, they are very bad on new games and I’d be very upset, just not sure it’s as easy as people make it sound to file a chargeback. Has anyone actually done it and been successful?

I think anyone doing a chargeback will face a steep uphill battle. Better to go to the manufacturer and seek a solution. For games with chips, people have received unpopulated playfields, which should put the next buyer of your game at ease.

#3075 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Whew....looks like the company we don't need the warranty for has one....
I'll follow through, but looks like this bridge has been crossed many times prior......

Cgc excludes wear and tear, you’ll have to prove it’s not. Assuming Cgc determines you have a defect, you have to send them the part at your cost and labor. If you have a playfield issue, does this mean depopulate it at your cost, send it, they send a new one and you repopulate it? I think technically it does.

3 weeks later
#3196 4 years ago

My Elvira looks good, just received premium Monday. Thinner clear, no artwork around posts.

2 weeks later
#3418 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Any Elvira owners seeing issues?

Nope, not for me. My clear is noticeably thinner. Have minor dimpling, but no pooling or chipping.

#3462 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

So Stern started using thicker bad clearcoat to make sure they had as much space as possible between the steel ball and their downgraded soft ass wood playfields? That caused pooling and chipping. So now they go back to a thin layer of bad clearcoat which exposes their cheap soft ass wood PFs with craters. They haven’t fixed anything. Stern makes the lowest quality pins on the market and they are playing all the pinheads like a fiddle. Those buying Sterns are being taken IMO. But hey at least your current FOMO is gone.........until the next sub par release.

My Elvira premium has been great, not much dimpling and no clear coat issues.

#3582 4 years ago
Quoted from phalcon_2600:

So for any of you that bought a more recent game like Jurassic Park or Elviras house of horrors how they looking? Does it look like the issue has been resolved by Stern.

Quoted from No_Pickles:

As someone who has been following this thread for a while, I would have to say the answer is no.

I think I’ve posted a few times in this thread, my Elvira premium, which I got about a month ago, has no playfield issues, no pooling or chipping, no artwork up to the posts and thinner clear coat, more like a bw game. I also don’t have any obvious dimpling and have had virtually no mechanical issues (one gargoyle did come off, but was easily put back on). I can’t speak for others, but I’m very happy with the game so far. I’ve been critical of stern in the past and this is my only spike game right now, but I think they got it right on this game.

#3587 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im glad that the thinner clear has band aided the problem but unfortunately the playfields dont look as good as they used to and who knows how they will hold up long term?

Which ones? Im really happy with my Elvira pf, looks like an older bw game, which we all seem to like. Stern spent a lot on understanding and fixing the issues and I was told firsthand my Elvira would be good, and it is. I’d like to hear if anyone has a playfield from post-expo (mid-October) that has issues. Please show the date of the game/playfield and the issues. Thought I saw some recent jp games with issues, but not sure I saw the dates of manufacture.

#3591 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

There have been people with problems since they started putting on the thinner clearcoat.....far less issues but there are still issues. I have a friend that has a JP2 with a bunch of fish eyes in the clearcoat and ive seen guys playfields with the artwork peeling up off the playfield. The problem i have with it is it just doesnt look as good without the thicker clearcoat and it can be done because other companies are still using thick clearcoat. This problem has not been remedied, only band aided

What was the date of the playfield/game manufacture of the problems you’ve seen? I’m trying to be objective and establish some baseline here. Anyone have a game made (not purchased) since October with playfield issues?

I like the look of the thinner clear.

#3607 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Nobody is getting perfect playfields from Stern. I don’t believe it for a second. Some might have their issues delayed a bit but I don’t believe they got a good playfield while others got a crap one. The materials and process are flawed so all playfields will have issues at some point. All Stern did was start with thin defective clear which led to ridiculous dimpling. Then they went to a thicker defective clear which led to pooling and chipping. So they say to themselves well we got away with the obscene dimpling before so let’s just go back to that. Steve Richie told everyone dimpling was normal and they actually bought it so we go back to where we were before the thick clear. Nothing has been fixed.....

This isn't entirely true. I’d suggest attending a show and having a conversation with stern staff. I did. They won’t tell you specifics because they are trade secrets, but they did more than just thin the clear. I want to see issues with playfields that were produced post September. So far, none have been shown. If there is evidence of chipping/pooling/excessive dimpling in these newer playfields, we should continue to be vocal. No doubt that playfields in 2019 and prior had issues, but it seems both jjp and stern may have now addressed these issues.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3611 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

What more did they do than thin the coat.
Please explain your evidence sir as you have asked others. If it is hearsay than it is no better than others.

They won’t reveal what they did or how they analyzed the problems as that info would benefit their competitors, and I respect that. I was told the problems were identified and fixed and that my Elvira would not have any issues. So far, that has been true. I can only speak from my experience, whether people to choose to believe me is up to them. I understand and appreciate the skepticism.

Quoted from guitarded:

This entire Thread exists because they didn't address the issues.
They may have found a way to keep the issues from reoccuring...but they have in NO way Addressed the issue(s).

This thread exists because there have been significant issues with chipping and pooling at both jjp and stern. People are reporting no issues with newer wonkas and I’m not sure there is evidence newer production stern games have issues. I don’t think anyone in the Elvira thread has reported any issues and most seem happy with their playfields.

#3614 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

I don’t take Sterns word so far on playfields. Stern added something “special” to the thin coat to make it better or they did something to the wood to cause less dimples is cheap talk.
To me let’s see how the data (Elvira and next machine) hold up over the next 6-24 months. Being in the hobby for a few years we all know a run or two means nothing. Let’s see over time.
I hope they did find the “fixes” as we need to get past this issue.

That seems reasonable to me.

1 week later
#3751 4 years ago

I do not believe the dimpling is due to the wood. I am a woodworker and have a number of hardwoods on hand, including, walnut, sapele, white ash (which baseball bats are made of), white (quarter sawn) and red oak and cherry. This is hardly scientific, but I dropped a pinball on all of the unfinished species multiple times from a couple of inches in the air and they all dimpled, including sapele, which is the hardest of the bunch. They didn’t dimple in the same way, but they all showed noticeable damage.

I dropped the ball on unfinished wood, but I also tested on a few finishes I use, including Behlen’s rock hard table top varnish, minwax polyurethane, hood finishing water-based poly and water-based lacquer. The varnish did not hold up as well with much deeper divots. I would expect this as varnish is not as hard. Both the water-based and minwax poly held up better with shallower divots. The water-based lacquer seemed to hold up the best, but there too I could see the impact from the ball.

The conclusion leads me to believe that it is not necessarily the wood causing the issue, but may be more related to the type of finish being used. Nevertheless, across the finishes, you still see damage.

I am thinking that the faster a game plays and thus the harder the ball contacts the playfield and the more airballs you get, the more you may see damage. I don’t recall many bw games having many persistent airball issues (I may be wrong) and they are not as fast as today’s games. My tspp, which I’ve owned since 2003, shows very little dimpling, it has no airball issues and isn’t nearly as fast as GB, Met or ACDC. My RS and wh20 also show almost nothing. I don’t buy the argument that dimples even out over time, no way that’s true.

Only the manufacturers know how their processes have changed and none will share it so we are left in the dark.

#3753 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok then explain why in all the dimple pics you Rarely see any in the insert areas only on the painted wood surfaces? It’s the Wood. Yes clear is soft and causes issues (dozen threads to prove that) but not the dimpling.

Not sure and hadn’t considered that, but I do see some minor dimpling on the coffin insert in front of the captive ball on my Metallica pro, same as rest of the pf. It may be there are airballs coming off that captive ball, not sure. Maybe try dropping the ball on to some of your inserts to see if you get any divots.

Like I said though, all wood dimples, at least what I tested, so even switching to another wood I don’t think fixes anything.

1 month later
#4631 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

I don't see why they don't shift to a harder wood like maple. Plywood is not cutting it.
Yea it's more expensive but at the price of these things the playfields should be top tier wood.

Plywood is made from Maple and other types of wood, such as oak, birch, etc. They can't use solid wood, if that's what you mean, because it's not stable and could/would warp over time. Almost any hardwood will dimple.

Take a look at magnets on games, they dimple.

#4638 4 years ago

Why not just put a playfield protector on all games at the factory? Id imagine it would not cost very much buying in bulk. Over time, as they wear, the owner could replace them and still have a nice new pf underneath. I've had one on my mmr since day 1, looks great, not a whole lot of difference in play. Easier to replace a pf protector than an entire pf.

#4640 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

It is. But they do play different and after a while, just don't look as good. They do play different. It's consistent, yes, but different.

Looks better than a dimpled pf everyone seems to hate. It’s a wear and tear item, replace it when you want or don’t. If I were a manufacturer, I’d seriously consider this for an LE and make it an option for a pro/standard.

#4721 4 years ago
Quoted from notmyrealname:

for the record, my wonka le born on october 30 2019 is exhibiting some very minor pooling around the upper post on the left sling. everything else seems ok, just this one post has a little bunching at the base. i don't recall seeing any when it was unboxed (i did look closely at the time, early december), and am currently about 700 games in. i'm not too bothered at this stage, as long as it doesn't get any worse, and i don't want my distro to think that i am just out to find problems because i have been a real thorn in his side until now
but i did want to make clear to all that not all late run le wonkas are immune. i will keep monitoring and update the thread if it should progress/get any worse.[quoted image][quoted image]

Fix it. Remove the post and iron it down, add a washer and be done with it. Don’t wait for it to get worse.

3 months later
#5191 3 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Hello,
I’m curious if anybody knows where to look for repair ideas or kits for pooling around posts? I knew there were kits out there, but I didn’t know where. Also looking for ideas on how to repair the pooling potentially without a kit? Thank you.

You can buy a vinyl/leather repair kit. All you need from it is the metal stamp. It’s the perfect size. Heat it with a torch or other heat source and follow what Yelobird suggests. It’s a 100% and permanent fix.

3M 08579 Leather & Vinyl Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058WXNOK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZFsVEbW13NZVN

8 months later
#7613 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

That’s a terrific datapoint, but it’s clear, based upon so many of your previous comments, that flaws don’t bother you. You continue to come off as a shill for JJP.

My GnR le playfield looks good and I’m looking closely at the posts every time I play. Clear appears to be thinner compared to potc and wonka. My wonka had slight pooling at a couple of sling posts as did my potc.

My last four sterns have also been good, LZ, aiq, Elvira and tmnt. However, on aiq, I did have an issue with a guide rail digging into the playfield, which was an easy fix. I had st, and that suffered from a lot of dimpling. I don’t recall my JP having any pooling issues.

#7623 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

That’s terrific for you.
Three folks in my area have severe pooling on their JPs. The dimpling is worse than older Stern machines, but we all know that we just have to live with it.

Some JPs had artwork up to the posts, those games appeared to be more susceptible to pooling. JP is several games ago, seems like the pooling issue has been resolved with thinner clear, maybe they changed the process too, idk. I haven’t seen anyone have pooling issues with Elvira, tmnt, st, LZ or aiq. The guide rails digging in are still an issue on some stern games, but are fixed by raising them if you catch them eatly. Mine were all raised from the factory on LZ.

All games dimple, some more than others, but may also be a function of the speed of the game combined with the amount of airballs. St is a fast game with a lot of airballs off the demo, which may contribute to the dimpling.

3 months later
#8293 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I don't even know what to say.
[quoted image]

Is that your game? What’s the manufacture date and what model? Looks like the post was pulled up and took the clear and paint with it.

1 week later
#8514 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's not. But stop wondering why they aren't eating billions of dollars to fix bad PR and why they aren't sending techs over to everybody's homes to fix issues. It's pretty obvious why they can't do the same things that VW and John Deere do.

I think most people are looking for some acknowledgement of the problem, that they are addressing it and that they will stand behind the product. Now, that's not as easily done as it is typed because acknowledgement sends them down a slippery and potentially very expensive slope. The main thing is to get the issue corrected, stand behind that with a strong warranty and find a solution for the most egregious playfields, such as chipping washers won't cover. First and foremost, they have to restore confidence. If my game had pooling, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I could live with it and probably fix it myself (I did on wonka). Even if I had small chips, if I knew I could control them from getting worse and could cover them, I'd generally be ok with it, not happy, but not mad enough to demand a new playfield.

#8520 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I believe JJP will fix this issue. There will be no fanfare or announcement, but like Stern, they will fix it with trial and error. Admission of an issue won't happen.

yeah, I do agree with that, but trial and error won't get people to buy the next game. I believe that Stern knew they had a solution and didn't have to trial and error. Elvira was when the issues were solved with noticeably thinner clear and no artwork around posts. games since then have been fine.

I suppose one way to restore confidence is when they do release the next game, institute an enhanced playfield warranty and make a feature statement noting playfield finish quality. That might give some confidence to buy the next game. Won't make previous owners happy, of course, but could give new confidence moving forward. just a thought, tough situation all around.

#8617 2 years ago

Agree with you. Been wondering why people wouldn’t take the buy back if offered? You have chipping and peeling of the playfield art and it looks pretty bad in the pics I’ve seen. Why would you want to keep that game? Is it because they think someone in the secondary market would really want to pay a higher price for this game? I wouldn’t touch it personally, mainly because it could get worse. Is it because they think jjp will offer them new playfields in the future? If it were me, I’d take them up on the offer and go find a nice LE in the secondary market. Maybe I don’t understand because I’m not much into the exclusivity club. I bought the LE because I just wanted a full feature game and didn’t care that I was X out of 500.

Not sure how they could justify only buying back CEs if an LE or SE looked just as bad. The warranties are the same across games I think, even though they don’t mention playfields.

Quoted from PtownPin:

My guess they won't offer buy backs of LE's.....If u had a game with a bad play field why not? Get all your money back (+shipping) and just pick up a used one down the line. My guess is 90% are at home getting little play versus being on route somewhere. Route operators probably don't care as much as home collectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=Lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.