IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

1 week later
#997 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

A defect is a defect no matter how large or how small and new products are supposed to be free from defects. Chipping and pooling is also not normal or acceptable on a new pinball playfield.

A new product should not have defects, but I don't agree that the size or type of defect doesn't matter.

I don't remember Stern giving people new playfields for the LOTRs that had slight registration issues, nor should they have IMO.

I reported two issues on my WOZ, back in 2013. It had a scratch on the backglass and the back upper edge of the lower cabinet was shredded, like it had been cut by a dull saw. JJP sent me a replacement backglass. The cabinet I felt was minor since it couldn't be seen from the front, so I didn't ask for anything.

I've also seen varying degrees of graining on the playfields from multiple manufacturers. Doesn't look great but doesn't make the playfield wear any faster. Again, manufacturers will not send you a new playfield, nor should they IMO.

I think things like pooling and ghosting that can lead to more extensive damage do warrant a new playfield.

1 week later
#1504 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Thats one seriously ruined playfield

Yeah, I thought DPs were supposed to be good, darn.

#1556 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's why the art change is only a quick and dirty attempt.. it doesn't address the problem anywhere else things are putting pressure on the topcoat.

The solution is simple, just put clear channels under anything that is putting pressure on the playfield.

#1681 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Looks like a brand new game.

Any progress yet with your playfield issues?

#1714 4 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

27 plays in[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice to see those washers protecting the playfield.

#2019 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

If it is true Stern is now saying playfields arent covered by their warranty, it is a huge red flag.

Stern warranty from the Dead Pool manual. No mention of playfield imperfections so that's up to their discretion or lawsuit as others have mentioned.
I think the warranties from other manufacturers are similar.

STERN PINBALL INC LIMITED WARRANTY
Stern Pinball Inc ('SELLER') warrants only to the initial purchaser of its products that the items listed below are free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for the warranty period specified:

• Printed circuit boards (game logic): 2 months
• Dot Matrix / LCD Display: 9 months

No other parts of seller's product are warranted. Warranty periods are effective from the initial date of shipment from seller to its authorized distributors.Seller's sole liability shall be, at its option, to repair or replace products which are returned to seller during the warranty periods specified, provided:

1.Seller is notified promptly upon discovery by purchaser that stated products are defective.
2.Such products are properly packaged and then returned freight prepaid, to seller's plant.

This warranty does not apply to any parts damaged during shipment and/or due to improper handling, or due to improper installation or usage, or alteration. In no event shall the seller be liable for any anticipated profits, loss of profits, loss of use, accidental or consequential damages, or any other losses incurred by the customer in connection with the purchase of a Stern Pinball Inc
Product.

WARRANTY DISCLAIMER
Except as specifically provided in a written contract between seller and purchaser, there are no other warranties, express or implied, including any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. This Game Service Manual and all other documents relating to this product, playfield components, features, rules, programming, and operation are subject to change without notice (Service Bulletins, if applicable, available through official Stern Pinball website).

ATTENTION! IMPORTANT WARRANTY INFORMATION
The electronics system, node network architecture,mechanical devices and associated software control systems in this pinball machine are designed to work with genuine Stern Pinball accessories and devices.Installation of non-authorized accessories, lamps,LED's, motors or other devices or modification of electro-mechanical devices may damage the system and will void your warranty.

1 month later
#3047 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont mind being patient at all. Heck if they told me that it would be a year or longer I wouldnt even care as my situation doesnt require immediate attention, but I just want to hear something besides crickets. It's very disrespectful of them to not even acknowledge a customers issues. I just want to get my defective playfield replaced and unfortunately for Stern the only way I'm going to be happy is with a populated playfield and not a unpopulated one.

You've been one of Stern's most vocal supporters and responder to those who criticize them, as well as buying a bunch of their games.

IMO, if they're being selective about who gets taken care of, it's very short sighted of them not to take care of you, and in a timely manner.

2 months later
#4372 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

They should have left the post out, and let the end of the flipper bat take the brunt of the force. Flipper bats are easy to replace when they get busted up .. and the PF won’t get damaged.

Would it be bad to take out the post and put a plug there? Similar to the town square area in the early TZ playfields?

4 months later
#5295 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I was about to go all in on a stern tmnt, then was reminded its basically a gamble. Hell I just canceled a cgc mmre order because there’s been issues that multiple people have shown with them. I get there’s always issues, but these “toys” are big money and manufacturers lack responsibility, but people are still willing to lose out. This will change when the economy keeps getting beat.

IMO, if you know typical production variation things will bother you, like the amount of playfield graining, clearcoat thickness or cratering, for example, it's better to buy used and see what you're getting.

Some people don't notice or care about those things so NIB can be a fun experience with less risk.

2 months later
#6038 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

When I unboxed my game and saw this written on the cover of the manual, I knew they had cheaped out since my last game. I think I have reasonable expectations but the quality now is just unacceptable. You're not even gambling hoping to get a good game. They're all cheap now.
[quoted image]

I see no mention of pooling or chipping as being acceptable, so there is that.

1 month later
#6435 3 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I’ll add to the list the annoying (and cheaper?) moving of the power switch from the bottom of the cab to the side of the backbox.

I miss the coffin lock on the back box.

1 month later
#6574 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackpotjared:

It’s a very smooth surface still no rough feeling to it at all and won’t effect the play but definitely a defect.

I agree with others who've said it's a knot in that plywood layer. I expect it's within acceptable limits from the supplier.

#6581 3 years ago

That rippling in the clear has been around for a long time. My first WOZ had it, second one is like glass. I've seen it on Fishtales, LOTR, Spiderman to name a few.

I haven't noticed that it affects playfield wear it's just cosmetic.

Not great but I consider it within the production variation range so didn't complain.
I did come to the conclusion that if those types of cosmetic defects were going to bother me, best not to buy NIB.

#6595 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Not sure about Mirco

Mirco does JJP's playfields.

#6600 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Should I try to get my money back?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Definitely! That's totally unacceptable. Contact the manufacturer and accept nothing less than your money back or a populated playfield.

#6650 3 years ago
Quoted from RockfordReplay:

It'd be interesting if an ultrasound certification was provided, but that's overkill.

I will accept nothing less than an MRI for my playfield

#6748 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Or.........................
This community could stop buying one game after another and stop acting totally and completely shocked when.......OMG............. it's still happening like it has on TMNT, AIQ, Iron Maiden, JP2, POTCJJP, GNR....I mean...how many kicks in the nuts do you need?

Thank you sir, may I have another?

3 weeks later
#7199 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Why was it not resolved 3 machines ago when there was issues with Pirates?

Wanting something fixed doesn't make it magically happen. Who knows how many fixes have been tried. If I was Mirco, I'd be running a bunch of experiments at the same time, given how long it seems to take for playfields to cure and show the problem.

Edit: Unless he's already solved the problem.

1 week later
#7254 3 years ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

I'm hearing that they started doing that...? Here's a pic[quoted image]

Shouldn't they also remove the artwork around that washer?

2 months later
#7558 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I went through the supposed JJP playfield issues. Most of the photos on Pinside were re posted by Pinsiders that do not own a game and are only really on Pinside to antagonize an already sensitive topic. There are not many actual games that have playfield issues. There are plenty of BS posts and Polls but not much actual fact.

If that's true, why doesn't the manufacturer just send those few cases populated playfields? It would generate positive press and more sales versus the negative press they're getting now.

1 week later
#7742 3 years ago

I think I'd be okay with an unpopulated playfield for cosmetic issues like pooling, ghosting, etc, but not for an issue like your warped playfield that severely affected gameplay.

I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game until it was fixed.

#7747 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You are the expert, that's for sure[quoted image]

That was one of the 1%...

2 weeks later
#7895 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Unknown how many games, it has been on site 18 months.

Give it another 18 months and I bet that playfield looks smooth as glass after those dimples flatten out.

#7944 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Now back to reality.... must people say 1 thing and then when the next pinball title comes out they buy buy buy.

I'm not so sure. From what I see, I think the majority of people who say they're going to stop buying NIB, stop. There are just lots of buyers who don't care as much, are willing to roll the dice, or are unaware of the issues.

1 month later
#8108 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

IMHO, at these prices, anything that leaves the factory should be thoroughly QC'd visually and functionally, and sent to re-work/repair if any problems are found BEFORE the machines are shipped.

That would be great for us but I just don't see the factory doing that as long as they have plenty of buyers.

Lets say 100 playfields have problems. Hmmm...what's the factory going to do?
1) Bare the cost to replace and rework all 100 playfields before shipping (which may not work for things like chipping or pooling if they haven't fixed the cause).
2) Wait until someone who cares about it complains, in which case you send them a blank playfield and let them replace it.
3) For the few really bad playfields or most persistent complainers, send out a populated playfield.

4 weeks later
#8386 2 years ago

I don't undertand why JJP hasn't found a different vender after so many years of problems with Mirco.

1 week later
#8487 2 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_Ripper:

A small part of me that is getting smaller and smaller, wants to believe they are trying to fix this behind the scenes, but that small part is diminishing and that is the only thing holding me back from going ahead with the suit.

I would bet they are trying to fix the problem. Why wouldn't they? But trying doesn't mean solving and they have to keep the factory going to stay in business. I don't want to apologize for them but it's a nightmare of a situation to be in.

How do you think it would affect their business if they publically announced that their playfields may pool or chip and that although they're working to solve the problem they don't know if or when they will find a solution.

We want transparency but it seems like bad news without a solution is never received well.

#8490 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

So the problem is the DTS thin film color layer and its ability to maintain adhesion even though the post is imparting massive side loads to a major area of the thin film color web.

If the problem is inherent to DTS, shouldn't Spooky have the same issue? Regardless, if removing the art under high stress areas fixes the issue, I think most people would be okay with that.

#8494 2 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Have you not seen what happened to a lot TNA playfields?

Yes, but they supposedly fixed the problem.

Quoted from jimwe5t:

They have to stop printing art under posts and order far less clearcoat, as to be thinner, and change undercoat tech, which improves DTS printing. JJP could make this change with Mirco and be fine. Why wouldn’t Mirco be willing to make these changes, that their boss JJP mandates? The buck stops with JJP.

I disagree. Mirco is the supplier and should be the expert in what they do, making quality playfields. Is it the supermarket's responsibility to tell Nabisco how to adjust their ovens because the Chips Ahoy cookies aren't getting baked enough? (Yes, this has been a problem with some batches)

JJP could remove artwork if so directed by Mirco or just to see if it helps. JJP could refuse to pay for playfields that don't meet the standards agreed upon. JJP can try to find another supplier.

I don't think it's JJP's responsibility to fix Mirco's problems, but JJP is responsible for the quality, including the playfield, of the games they ship to customers.

#8495 2 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

They've had multiple chances to address this issue before turning the line back on, and have made a calculated risk that it's not worth the time and/or expense to really fix it right.

Some things are not so easy to fix, if at all. Playfield clear coat issues with DTS printing seems like one of these things, otherwise I don't think we'd be seeing all these problems from different manufacturers.

What if keeping the line turned off for an indefinite amount of time means shutting down the company? What do you do?

#8500 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sadly yes they are. The OEM is responsible for every component they deliver to the end consumer good and bad. If like other manufacturers there is a recall it falls on the OEM to make it right and assign restitution and help find a solution or find a new resource. My Guess is JJP needs Mirco equally.

Guess I wasn't clear, I agree that JJP has to back every component they ship to a customer, according to their warranty, but I don't think it's their job to solve the problems their suppliers are having. Sure, it's in JJP's best interest to do all they can to help their suppliers if they can.

Mirco has a large business outside of JJP. Seems like their non JJP playfields should have similar problems.

#8521 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I believe that Stern knew they had a solution and didn't have to trial and error.

I think it's always trial and error until you confirm over many runs that your "solution" is going to work. For pinball machines, that may mean being in customers hands for a while to verify temperature changes and extended play don't reveal any issues.

#8523 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

My gut feel is JJP is pointing their finger at Mirco, and Mirco is pointing their finger at JJP. Meaning Mirco doesn't want to send out replacement PF's anymore (i.e. under warranty) since they blame JJP, hence the reason JJP stopped sending out PF's since they'd likely have to pay for them now.

Does it make sense to send out or sell replacement playfields that have the same problems?

I don't think there is a way to make customers happy until they solve the problem. Or at least lessen it to a point where there are enough buyers at the new 'normal' to stay in business.

And...back to square one.

#8524 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I agree that JJP has to back every component they ship to a customer, according to their warranty

Quoted from jimwe5t:

Since JJP is the manufacturer, they are held liable for all subcontractor work. Mirco’s name is not stamped on any JJP game, only JJP’s name appears.

Yeah, I'm glad you agree with me.

#8528 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I worked in an R&D department of a larger aerospace manufacturer/supplier and we solved issues like this, but it was not cheap and not quick, both being major hurdles for a pinball company operating at a fraction of aerospace price margins.

I worked in the R&D department of a company that makes integrated circuits so perhaps that gives us a little different perspective.

A part can be sold to thousands of manufacturers who may install them into thousands of their systems. If one of our parts does not meet it's specifications or fails in a way not caused by the manufactuer or end user, it can be sent back for a replacement or a refund. So, we replace the $5 part but the manufacturer, like JJP, incurrs all the cost to take the part from the system and deal with the unhappy end user.

Bottom line, it sucks to be a manufacturer when an up line supplier delivers a faulty product. The suckage only gets worse if it gets to the end user.

Flipside, we don't stay in business very long if we get a reputation for delivering poor quality integrated circuits.

#8529 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I don't think JJP stopped sending out because they still have an issue (i.e. so why bother sending a new PF?), since apparently they are still shipping pins w/potentially subpar PF's.

I'm not so sure. They have to ship pins to keep their employees working, stay in business, etc...
Sending out playfields that have the same problem costs them money and still doesn't satisfy the customer.

#8534 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Mirco has a large business outside of JJP. Seems like their non JJP playfields should have similar problems.

Good to know, will avoid buying from them. It would great if another playfield supplier gave us a better option.
Anyone who thinks the printing/clearcoating issues are easy to solve, here's your opportunity to make a bundle!

#8570 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

In all fairness, Alien almost killed Oneangrymo here on Pinside, so it is not completely out of the question.
Here is a cloud for you to get angry at:
[quoted image]

In all fairness, I don't think Oneangrymo's near death experience was a result of cosmetic issues with his Alien pinball machine's playfield...

#8571 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

The big elephant in the room is the aftermarket perceived value.

Now that you mention it, you make a good point.

If I'm playing someone elses game, pooling, chipping, planking, dimples, etc.. don't bother me at all. I only care about how well it plays.

1 week later
#8712 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Was giving my view from both the Manuel and game play.

How did you manage to get the inside scoop from one of the employees?

1 year later
#9128 1 year ago

Here's a Ghostbuster's example. I can see what you mean regarding the extra thick keyline covering where the ghosting typically appears. Smart move by Stern as it makes it very hard to see.

58041f5f2cdc2a6a697e0138d510db8f88f81ca4 (resized).jpg58041f5f2cdc2a6a697e0138d510db8f88f81ca4 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Machine - For Sale
Oklahoma City, OK
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=Jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.