IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JohnnyPinball007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#669 4 years ago

I think maybe when buying NIB these days do a fingernail test on the playfield before ever playing a game.

#671 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Kinda hard ro do that to a game thats inside of a thick cardboard box.

Yeah take it out of the box, take the glass off, and test it with a fingernail somewhere hidden. If it is soft contact the manufacturer and ask for advice about how long for it to sit, and any other advice. Sucks but what else can you do if you want NIB?

#688 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Don’t be a putz and buy NIB until this issue has been rectified.

I had already purchased a NIB JJP POTCSE before I heard about any problems. After I heard about the problems I checked mine closely and did the fingernail test and all was fine.

But yeah, I guess I got lucky, and I have no plans to buy anything for a long time.

I was mainly trying to say I think the fingernail test is a great way to tell if there are problems.

#733 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Buy from a manufacturer that has their quality control in check.

That is the plan. No one should ever need to do a fingernail test on a game.

#1018 4 years ago

In the meantime, please take all issues up with the manufacturers, not your distributer, he is just in business to sell the games and he did not make the games himself and he has no control.

I like my distributer, I hung out with him a while recently, and when I arrived he was on a painstaking call to Stern about a buyer that was just very bad. His hair is gray now, and I poked fun.

Yes it damn sucks there are any issues at all, but please respect other humans. I first hand seen my friend age 30 years in 6 months, and he does not make any machines he just sells them.

1 week later
#1667 4 years ago

I have never had a clearcoat issue with Stern. However, I have had other issues. At first I would call, be on hold for maybe 5-30 minutes, and the tech that would answer would either be really nice and helpful, or just a total dick. The only time they ever asked me for a pic was a defective lock down bar. They were awesome with that, after they seen the pic, even asked if I could change it myself or if they needed to send someone. I said I can take care of it, thanks very much.

Then on another NIB 2 weeks old a rubber broke that would require a whole lot of taking stuff apart to get to and I wanted the help I had declined with the bar they totally ignored me and I hired a pro to take care of it.

My personal experience with Stern was they have been awesome 50% of the time, and have sucked 50% of the time. And a lot more than just the couple things I listed above. On the phone it is the same way, 50-50 chance the next tech that answers is nice and helpful, or a dick.

Right now I really like AP. They are here on pinside answering questions and being helpful. It is a shame Stern can not do that and have someone here taking care of problems.

I was holding out for a JJP future release that would be a widebody and as awesome as POTC, but after I read all this Oktoberfest stuff and seeing AP interacting here on Pinside I went with that, and I am 100% happy I did.

IMO Stern is just too big and does not care anymore. 50% of the time they were awesome with my stuff, but that is a failing grade. And I was never picky, I only contacted them when the problem was too bad the game was not playable and I could not do the repairs myself...and still under warranty anyway.

I am very glad I have the Stern games I have, and I am sure I will enjoy them for years to come. I am done with their NIB though, only 50% of the time they honored warranty stuff when a game was messed up, and that was way before the pooling etc., going on now.

#1673 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

BBB is a Joke, IMO.

I once had a exterminator giving me the run around about finishing a job I had already paid in full for. My BBB claim got his butt back in gear.

#1686 4 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

my Iron Madien and what these bubbles will turn into with heavy play.

OUCH!

1 week later
#2221 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

I sent them photos of the paint peeling on my new LE. They've been reviewing them. But it's only been a week, so I don't have an answer yet.

2 or 3 years ago I called Stern about a rivet in the lock down bar breaking and the handle was just hanging. They told me to email a picture. The next afternoon they were calling me on the phone apologizing and offering to not only send the part but to also pay someone to install it.

Has anyone had decent luck with Stern like this? Do they still tend to other issues and only drag their feet with the clear coat issues or do drag their feet with all problems now?

#2236 4 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

email or a call?

Both, back when I called them on the phone first about a broken lock down bar.

#2386 4 years ago

Welcome to the arena, in what should be a awesome bout between 2 lawyers this is sure to get interesting.
In one corner we have GamerRick, and in the other corner we have iceman44.

ding, ding...ok, the bell has rung now and we will read a awesome show of wits.

And I really hope you guys don't get mad at me and I hope I do not get moderated for something. I don't feel real good myself right now, and I am just trying to have some laughs to help with my pains.

#2399 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

the only ones that win are the lawyers!

I have a awesome lawyer, I consider him a best friend. He has been awesome through the years. Pricey yes, but worth it hell yes.

I know what you are talking about with the only lawyers really win. But in my cases 200.00 to Carl got me back 10k a internet crook on ebay took from me, and 1600.00 to Carl got my Mom back her 80k policy on Dad that State Farm was trying to bring technical crap on her after he passed.

I love my lawyer.

And actually the only people I personally know that hates lawyers are the ones that went through a divorce and one had a better lawyer than the other.

I have been very entertained reading you guys go back and forth. Reminds me of Carl and the stuff he comes up with.

I wish everyone the best, and I hope Stern and JJP makes everyone whole again without any legal stuff required.

2 weeks later
#2744 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I am out out out on NIB indefinitely with Stern

After 6 of them, and some problems Stern ignored completely, I will not be buying anymore of their games. Recently I purchased both AP games nib, and I am totally happy with their games, and looking forward to their 3rd release.

However, Stern did nail it with TWD, and that machine has never had the first problem, so it will never go anywhere.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#2801 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Wish we had more choices for a quality and good value pinball, but right now that only leaves 1 new (not remake) game a year from Spooky.

Actually 2. AP games are very fun and no playfield issues.

1 week later
#3026 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Need to know who accepts plastic

Last time I checked classicgamerooms.com still took cc. I like Jason.

#3046 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

There are several legit stern distros that sell via ebay. You not only can pay via cc that way and earn ebay bucks, you also have ebays customer-centric satisfaction guarantee

classicgamerooms.com also sells everything on ebay. And like I said before he takes plastic.

#3099 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Have you ever gotten a $10k chargeback?

Quoted from jfh:

Anyone know how a cc charge back works if the credit card was used through PayPal?

Almost 20 years ago I won a whole lot of stuff on ebay I was going to resell in my business. Right after I paid (cc through paypal) a friend told me about a ebay seller that they had found to be a crook and was already wanted by the FBI. That was the same seller I had just sent over 10k to.

I contacted paypal and asked them to cancel the transaction, I had only paid maybe 2 hours earlier, and they would not do anything.

I contacted my lawyer and he told me to buy a camcorder and film what UPS brings.

Anyway what I had to do was take all my evidence to the police, get a police report done, and send it to my cc company and they charged back paypal then. I only lost maybe 400.00 that was already in my paypal account, and a whole lot of time.

All the while I was also in constant contact with the FBI and the FBI ended up paying me well to come to court 700 miles away and testify against the crook. The crook received 60 months in federal pen, I was shocked that was all with all the crap they were pulling. The FBI told me that for a while half of all their calls were about this crook.

#3111 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I have no idea why anyone would pay up for a Diamond/Platinum.

Between the Beatles and Supreme, Stern had almost lost me anyway with poor communication way before the pooling issues came around. The last straw for me was seeing current NIB games with a asking price of 25k or more.

Luckily I have never had any of the pooling and chipping before I stopped buying Stern, I was just done with them anyway.

My TWD is perfect and will never leave. It never gets played anymore, but too awesome to ever leave and I will get back to it.

3 weeks later
#3203 4 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

Yeah buddy, just ordered a Golden Tee 2020, this is a great time to enhance the rest of our arcades while the pinball manufacturers check themselves.

A few weeks ago I picked up a cocktail table multicade and soon getting a stand up multicade. Pinball is the best, but these are fun also and a great time to enhance other arcade areas like you said.

#3251 4 years ago

Stern who?

1 week later
#3327 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Quoted from PanzerFreak:
new GoldenTee for less then half the price with no headaches sounds more tempting.

Get a Super Chexx if you have someone to play with. That's what I did and it is soooooo much fun!! No playfield chipping either guaranteed!

My last 2 purchases was 2 multicades. First was a cocktail table with 60 games, and we liked it so much I picked up a stand up with 12k games.

No issues! And price was awesome also.

The only thing that does suck is my girlfriend is addicted to Frogger now and I have to hear that music a tad much.

#3329 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Reading through this thread, I am completely floored and disgusted that a manufacturer of any product costing 6-9k thinks it is acceptable to send out product in this condition and just ignore customers. Stern should be ashamed.

But when Stern releases a new game so many people just buy it anyway and hope for the best.

I like the Stern games I have, but I am taking a long break from any NIB purchases from them.

#3372 4 years ago

For a while I was picking up 2-3 NIB Sterns from my distributor a year. Last time I seen him I was picking up a multicade and he mentioned things to me Stern was coming out with. I told him I am not interested in any more Stern products.

I could go way more into it, but I will leave it alone.

I am not saying I will never again buy a NIB Stern, just saying not going to happen until they have better quality control, and better customer relations.

#3381 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

So Stern should hire robots.

Or let the auto makers do them?

3 weeks later
#3911 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

never played a Golden Tee

I could say the same thing just a month ago. But then a friend was over and I watched him play a game on my multicade and now Golden Tee is the only game played anymore. This multicade has 30 Golden Tee courses total, and a 40 inch screen. (12k games total).

Down the road I do plan to get a regular Golden Tee, just for all the different courses. That and when the JJP playfield issues are fixed maybe another game from them. But 100% whatever AP makes next I want. I love Okt and Hou.

#3926 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Golden tee is cool btw but why are we reading about it here.

Thanks for posting that. I just went and found a club here for GT, and I had never thought to look.

And I know this is not about dimpling, it is about pooling and chipping and other problems, so I agree there are a lot of posts off topic.

1 month later
#4850 4 years ago

I always thought it was weird how unless I get at a certain angle, with the light just the right way, I can not even see any dimples on my playfields. But my magnets are dimpled as hell!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.50
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 25.00
Machine - For Sale
Covington, LA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JohnnyPinball007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=JohnnyPinball007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.