IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jason_Jehosaphat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#799 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

it is cured - it was sprayed many months ago. The formula they used is not resulting in a stiff finish resistant to compression like we are used to.
Cure is not the same thing as 'hard'. Cure means the chemical reaction has finished and the product is now stable.

I worked in a body shop when I was younger. I mixed/sprayed my share of paints and clearcoats. At the time, adding the right amount of hardener was critical. When I first saw this soft clearcoat phenomenon on a Stern playfield (IMDN, spring, 2018), my first thought was: Gee, lots of material was laid down - perhaps *too* much - but this is so soft that it's pooling at pressure points and whoever is shooting these PF's at Stern needs to add the right amount of hardener!

What irritates me about Stern's and JJP's responses so far is how dismissive they have been. They say a small group of fastidious ("obsessive"?) Pinsiders has been vocal about the issue but none of their distributors is reporting any complaints from any customers. Really? They also imply that the bad playfields are outliers and represent a tiny fraction of the production so far. Again, really? I would wager *all* of the JP2 PRO playfields were bathed in that inferior clearcoat. Heck, it would surprise me if the great majority of *all* playfields made by Stern or for Stern, beginning with IMDN, aren't likewise defective. The real "outliers" in this case are the few playfields that were sprayed sparingly, thus avoiding pooling - although not making them any harder, certainly.

It irks me that Stern dismisses buyers who complain about soft clearcoat as unreasonably demanding. They need to get in front of this - like, *now*! No more arrogant dodging. Own up and spell out your response plan, Stern and JJP!

3 weeks later
#1845 4 years ago

Report on JP2LE Playfield on Location:

Just thought I would post what I see re: the clearcoat on the one JP2LE on location in my region. I'm lucky enough that it's just a mile away at the wonderful Tilt Pinball Bar.

So, I see...

1. A much thinner layer of clear, but I *don't* see any rough areas from insufficient coverage - the shooter lane, for instance.

2. A ring in the graphics surrounding the bases of various posts.

3. Plenty of typical dimpling, in particular around the truck toy - and this game was *just* installed. I saw it after three days of action, so it may have had 150 plays on it, tops.

If I had to deduce Stern's fix based on what I see, I would say they have *not* changed their playfield vendor, but instead have simply asked them to apply less clear. I can only guess if the clear being applied is truly a new formulation, but it seems plausible that it's same OSHA-compliant water-based clear that first appeared on IMDN playfields eighteen months ago. My sincere hope was that Stern would be pressured into making real/permanent changes to their playfields with respect to hardness/durability, but I see no evidence of that in this example at least. I do see a beautiful JP2LE though. Wow!

#1853 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

<snip>I don't know if it is a similar cause here, but with regard to guitars -- if this happens, it has almost everything to do with curing. Here are some factors:
<snip>
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome/helpful post! Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jason_Jehosaphat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=Jason_Jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.