IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Durzel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1742 4 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

27 plays in[quoted image][quoted image]

27 plays! That is just ridiculous.

At a bare minimum people who are buying these pins and then trying to sell them on are going to be asked questions about the pooling etc. If they have pooling and it hasn’t yet developed into chipping or lifting of the artwork then that’s basically asking prospective buyers to shoulder the burden of having to deal with Stern if/when it develops into that, assuming they’ll even deal with it for second hand pins etc.

Those people are buying a pin which is basically instantly devalued from having the pooling there.

I honestly don’t get why people are disregarding this as soon as a new theme is announced. All that achieves is to undermine the efforts of those with this problem who are trying to get it resolved. What lesson is there for Stern if they can just disregard existing owners and sell a new theme to other ones, or - worse - existing owners with the problem are too sucked up in the hype NOT to throw more money at them.

My Stern Tron LE has zero pooling, chipping or lifting. Spending the right amount of money on the playfield wood, artwork and clearing is not beyond the wit of man, they were already doing it years ago. I guess now, like the more conspicuous BOM cost cutting that saw drop targets removed and plastic ramps instead of wireforms, money spent on this stuff got shaved as well.

#1743 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Another big problem with Stern not addressing the playfield issue is that it leaves Elvira buyers wondering "Will my game have playfield issues"? Do Elvira LE buyers just bank on Elvira Premiums having playfield problems that are resolved by the time LE's ship? Do Elvira premium owners then think "Guess I'm a guinea pig, hope my game doesn't have problems"? That sucks for buyers of any model considering.

Elvira buyers don’t have to buy them. Anyone buying these pins now with the knowledge that it exists across several pins, and is being bandaided with washers and black circles instead if artwork, is basically asking to be punished.

If people had more resolve they wouldn’t accept it, and vote with their wallet. That’s the only power they have.

#1888 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Funny, as I look at my 90s B/W games, they all have artwork under the posts and not a one exhibits any signs of pooling or paint loss there.
Posts cranked down tight too. I know, because I installed them. This former auto mechanic doesn't like his work coming loose.

But.. but.. toxic chemicals or something.

Not doing the clear properly and letting it cure in good time too...

3 weeks later
#2701 4 years ago

How are people supposed to trust that the game they buy is going to be sorted if all they’ve got to go on is a vague comment that the problem is fixed?

It sounds to me like inducing more people into buying pins that might turn out to be faulty, with each individual customer having to get their issues resolved individually, like how it is now.

Acknowledging that a problem exists and then refusing to elaborate is worse than not acknowledging it, in my opinion. I struggle to conceive of what competitive disadvantage it would put either company in to divulge the basic process change or whatever that led to fixing the problem. They’re not splitting the atom here.

#2706 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

If you are not comfortable do not buy NIB. There are plenty of people on here that have asked a distributer direct what will happen if they buy a game and it starts pooling? If the response does not suit, they have not purchased. Best way.

Of course, as with any purchasing decision everyone has to make their own peace with it. My point was more in general terms, that customers shouldn't be being put in the position of having to gamble on this stuff anyway. It is not legitimate to essentially say "well you pays your money you takes your chance!" to everyone who is interested in buying.

#2740 4 years ago

The vibe I’m getting with this, with both JJP and Stern, is that they’re both just going to keep quiet about it, tell distros that they’ve “identified an issue and have resolved it” (whether they have or not) and let the community basically flame out over it.

People can’t sustain acrimony about this stuff indefinitely, there will be a fresh outrage in pinball before too long and that’s where people’s attention will go.

Meanwhile the poor bastards who have suffered from this problem are left trying to get it resolved, with ever diminishing public pressure, with varying levels of success or radio silence in some cases. Clearly not everyone is going to be treated like hawkmoon77 has - with a replacement populated PF.

Let’s look at this cynically shall we..

- Appease one or two vocal customers with top tier service
- Said customers report these customer service experiences on the issues thread (here)
- Bystanders and other customers think “Stern are doing the right thing, going above and beyond, that’s the mark of a great company” etc
- Bystanders drift out of the thread thinking that Stern are handling it, and go back to being satisfied to buy NIB pins in future.
- In reality only a lucky few may get made whole, the rest are chasing for updates or getting no replies at all, or subpar results (unpopulated PFs etc)
- But that doesn’t matter at this point because the sentiment is that Stern are putting things right because there is SOME evidence of it.

Someone in these companies would’ve made a clinical decision about whether it was cheaper and better PR to acknowledge publicly the problem or not. It seems it’s deemed better to pretend there wasn’t a problem, or if there was that is “been resolved” with no specifics whatsoever, and just wait for people on here to get bored of talking about it.

#2771 4 years ago

Why spend $3 on a coil stop when you can spend $0.50? That adds up you know!

1 week later
#2877 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

On a newer machine a daunting task I'd image.

Makes pins predominantly aimed at home users.

Offers solution to a manufacturing defect that only experienced (or ambitious) techs should attempt.

PF replacement is a little bit beyond changing bulbs etc.

1 month later
#3255 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

They arent the only game in town but they kind of are. JJP is too expensive for many people and they also have quality problems and they have proven that they dont give a shit about their customers.
Spooky, it will take you a year to get your game, IF you can even get one and their games arent as fun as Sterns games either.
CGC is the best company out there but they only make remakes. If they start making their own games and they are good, they could really hurt Stern big time..
Deeproot....we will see what happens there. They are big talkers and they plan on taking a nice piece of the pie from Stern but so far they are just all talk.
Stern could bury them all except CGC if they wasnt so stupid. All they have to do is up their quality and they smash the competition but for some reason they don't seem to care about doing that. Stern makes killer games but their quality and terrible customer service is definitely hurting them. I am personally afraid to buy anything from them right now and I'm also pissed about their customer service so I won't buy right now because of that either.

Maybe they're looking for an exit strategy, maybe they're focused on maximising profit vs cost ratio to be attractive to investors, etc. Either way they seem to think they can get away with it, and it's possible they might.

You're pretty much right though when you say they're not the only game in town but sortof are. They're the ones cranking out multiple new theme pins every year. If you choose not to buy from them - and if you're been burnt or care about you're going to be treated you shouldn't - then you're basically saying that you're not going to be buying NIB pins for the forseeable future. CGC and JJP don't crank out games with anything like the same pace, and the latter has had issues too.

People kick up a big stink about not buying from Stern in the future, but I wonder how many of those people will cave when they bring out a theme that attracts them. Words on forums cost nothing, but FOMO is a helluva drug.

1 week later
#3330 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

But when Stern releases a new game so many people just buy it anyway and hope for the best.
I like the Stern games I have, but I am taking a long break from any NIB purchases from them.

You need only see the hype about q potential Stranger Things pin coming to see why they persist with this business strategy. If all these complaints don’t actually translate to lost sales they have no incentive to change course.

I sincerely hope that people put their money where their mouth is and restrain themselves whenever these new pins are announced. It’s the only thing that stands to change their attitude, particularly as there is no real competition cranking out pins with the same frequency as them.

#3344 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Yeah. Really awesome of them to include the experience of a full-top-and-bottom-PF rebuild to be completed BY their customer at no extra charge. Who says they don't really give you more with ever-increasing prices???

Hey, you and I both know all home users know how to strip down and rebuild a playfield from scratch, and have all the tools necessary to do it. Oh, and the time.

#3356 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Yes, but Stern is not supporting customers with issues. That should concern everyone, regardless of the games they receive. It's only a matter of time before the next cost-cutting measure or change of manufacturing: there is a clear pattern they have set. What happens if your Str. Thngs. is f'd up? Odds are, you will not be supported. A lottery system with a 6+k product is something I want no part of.

Exactly. Playing the lottery and winning doesn’t change the fact that it’s rigged, or that everyone else isn’t so lucky. Not to mention playing it at all validates the business model.

One guy’s JP2 is without flaws (possibly for now). Great, but his Stranger Things pin - if he buys one - or whatever else comes next might not be, then it’ll be him staring down the barrel of trying to get Stern to make him whole, like everyone else who had already been shafted.

The only winning move is not to play.

#3363 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

LOL MrBally, apinballwiz and Durzel have bought a total of three Stern games combined I am sure Stern is shaking in there boots

Their

You don’t need to be a cook to know when something smells like shit.

My Tron LE is perfect, because it was made when Stern were more customer focused, it seems.

#3394 4 years ago

Saw this today in a coffee shop and was reminded of this thread...

15428CC6-4EF9-4EA3-A960-A0ACBB6E66B1 (resized).jpeg15428CC6-4EF9-4EA3-A960-A0ACBB6E66B1 (resized).jpeg
#3575 4 years ago

Ultimately it’s really simple.

It’s not beyond the wit of man to produce playfields that don’t chip or pool, or seriously dimple. It was done 30 odd years ago by WMS, it’s still done today by the likes of CGC.

There’s one simple reason why this is happening now: cost. Reduction of BOM has been evident for some time now above the playfield (Munsters topper anyone? Single target bank instead of drops on the same pin, etc) so it’s no great surprise it’s spread to PF quality and QC.

3 weeks later
#4060 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Joe first of all i will say that I've heard alot of good things about you and im not trying to get personal with you so let's just get that out of the way right now. What i don’t understand is why you are trying to make Goetz look so bad. Him trying to cut a deal with JJP for 3K doesn’t piss me off at all, the man is just trying to reach a resolution with JJP on the defective product that he bought and THEY ARENT WILLING TO MAKE IT RIGHT WITH HIM.

You ought to have a problem with someone who is allegedly using both blackmail and also saying that they will actively LIE to the community about their resolution. That goes beyond an NDA in my opinion, an NDA is keeping quiet - not actively undermining the efforts of other people in the same situation by misrepresenting your position. It is the epitome of "f**k you, got mine".

I have every sympathy for anyone caught in the position of having a defective playfield be it Stern or JJP, and I totally get that $5k+ is a cost that means different things to different people. I can even sympathise with people who ultimately just want to get THEIR pinball fixed, and aren't going to lose much sleep if the whole community don't get the same deal.

I would personally draw the line at making shady backroom deals and threatening the company with blackmail and stating that you will lie to the community about what you got. That says more about one's morals I think, and goes beyond pinball.

Having said all of the above - it is all conjecture. 3 sides to the story is right.

#4064 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

First of all Durzel I'd like to say that there arent many people in this world that has better morals than me so I hope you arent attacking my morals when you don't even know me. Goetz exhausted all things with Jack sounds like and he was just trying to get some kind of monetary compensation for his defective pinball machine. I don't think he was trying to screw the entire pinball community by any means. JACK should have made it right long before he ever had to try such drastic measures to get compensated. I also dont think he was gonna lie to the community, I think be was just going to go away quietly.

I wasn't talking about you.

I was talking about the email to JJP that PinballSTAR apparently has from Goetz which proposed a $3k discount off a future pin, and offering to sign a NDA and "keep quiet" (from the community) about the resolution, and whatever else it said. I didn't say he was trying to "screw the entire pinball community", but - depending on the exact wording of the email - it could be construed as rather poor form, at the very least. This is all conjecture though, as said.

I thought I was very clear about the distinction between someone who is having problems with their pin who ultimately wants THEIR situation to be resolved, and making suggestions to the manufacturer through backchannels which could undermine the efforts of the affected community as a whole.

#4066 4 years ago

No arguments there.

2 weeks later
#4644 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Sledgehammer to new playfield? The times they are a changing. Competition breeds better quality. Or at least an attempt at better

This is great, but until this guy or someone like him is swimming in the same pool as Stern he might as well not exist.

#4733 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont understand why you think your distributor is going to be mad or upset if you tell him about this. His job is to help you before, during, and after the sale.

It’s surreal.. being almost apologetic to the manufacturer/distributor for highlighting a defect on a $10k brand new product.

“I really hope you don’t mind sir, but I have a teensy weensy problem with my premium priced product. It’s probably my fault. I hope you’re not mad. Forget I said anything”.

Bizarro world.

#4736 4 years ago
Quoted from silen7ce:

Looking for advice. Finally heard back from Stern and they offered me a "blank playfield" which I'm guessing is unpopulated. The way they phrased it was they were asking if I "accepted this as compensation" or something like that.. Should I be pushing to get a populated or partially populated playfield or is that never going to happen?

You're not going to get a populated or even partially populated playfield unless yours is basically a pile of wood chippings.

"Accepted this as compensation" basically means if you accept it then liability for this and any future claims for the same issue would be disclaimed. Pretty standard really, it's essentially a "without prejudice" offer.

I'd say if you've been offered a spare playfield and you're outside the time period to be able to return the pin for a refund (if you actually wanted to do this) then that's likely to be the best you're going to get.

3 months later
#5291 3 years ago

Imagine a company sending out a gearbox or clutch or something to replace a defective one and saying “there you go, have at it!”.

For your average consumer replacing a populated playfield would be a intimidating task, disconnecting the loom, pulling out the old playfield etc. Expecting an average consumer to be able to do a proper playfield swap is just ridiculous.

1 month later
#5592 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Haven't visited this thread in awhile, but after a year of fair warning are people still buying new games and complaining about the playfields?
"Hey mom, I know eating at Jack in The Box and Chipotle has killed several people in the last couple weeks, but can we eat at one of them anyway?" "Sure son. If anything happens we will complain about it on the internet. That will teach them"

People have short memories with this stuff, and when a new pin gets released it gets shorter still. New pin with a theme based on something they remember from their youth? Straight up amnesia.

Stern won’t improve because they don’t need to. The only leverage consumers have over them is not putting up with this shit, but they can’t even manage not to throw money at them.

3 weeks later
#5928 3 years ago

Not being funny, but what would you expect to happen?

People moan about this state of affairs, but then you see a new thread hyping JP, Turtles or whatever’s next, where people have got collective amnesia, or quite simply the lure of a new theme overpowers their critical faculties.. “this time it’ll be different”, “it won’t happen to me”.

Stern knows that the furore is not affecting their sales in a meaningful way, so they have got absolutely no impetus to change or do anything that costs them more money, including making good people who have problems.

2 weeks later
#6174 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You have to get the zoom lense just like others are doing for TMNT. Take a good cell phone pic and zoom in. It’s easy when you do that. It’s very grainy on most of them. And maybe they had multiple vendors then too and you’re a lucky one.

If you need a zoom lense for this then you better get your eyes tested

0E8B8E1B-DE61-4465-813D-190F44079253 (resized).jpeg0E8B8E1B-DE61-4465-813D-190F44079253 (resized).jpegCAC9B3A7-A4AD-4B00-A19B-4A5DAE2C9E96 (resized).jpegCAC9B3A7-A4AD-4B00-A19B-4A5DAE2C9E96 (resized).jpeg

#6176 3 years ago

Yup, if you look close enough on any Stern pin in recent memory you’ll see the relatively low resolution of the artwork. I remember my Trim being pixelated (aliased) at the edges of the art. That isn’t a criticism per se, but it would be nice if it were higher resolution)

I think it’s a combination of desaturation and dithering that’s the problem here. Either way it’s not acceptable by any stretch.

#6201 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

What a terrible loss we have just suffered!

This is the guy that announced that he was buying the $600 topper for JP. I think it’s fair to say we haven’t lost an objective voice.

1 week later
#6308 3 years ago

It does make me laugh that an unpopulated playfield is the typical resolution to problems. I mean that’s pretty much like a car company sending you a new gearbox under warranty and saying “good luck!”.

Even if you disregard the labour involved in removing all the parts, there’s going to be numerous things that need to be desoldered, removed in a certain order, etc and then reassembled on the new playfield, assuming it’s properly routed (are they?). It’s not a task for the feint hearted, and even your typical pinball tinkerer would be intimated I think.

Easy to see why owners see it as an offset to the depreciation loss from the original blemishes, rather than a project they will (or can) take on themselves. Just give it to the new owner and kick the can down the road.

Still, it is amusing that this is the resolution offered. Not a populated playfield ready to drop in, or providing an engineer to come and install it for you, etc.

2 weeks later
#6418 3 years ago
Quoted from WillSmuz8999:

The manufacturers wish they only cost $1000 - $1500 to build. That number is so far off. Our BOM at Williams in the 90s was $2000. Labor was $250, and you had all the tooling, and development costs -- Design, Programming, Sound, Art, etc. The games were being sold for low $3000 - $3500 range. Fortunately, in our hay-day, we were making 70K games annually. The margins are not near as profitable as you think. Decent volume, low overhead, and/or cost cutting measures is the difference between losing or making money in pinball.

The thing is, you can’t really be that mad at Stern - in a general sense - because that’s exactly what they’re doing. They have investors to keep happy, and as a profit seeking entity they are doing the normal thing of seeking to reduce costs wherever they can.

The problem is not that this cost cutting is being exposed, but that it is not making any practical difference to this course. People are still buying the latest themes that are announced, in spite of what is known about the various issues, legacy and newly found, about the consequences due to the cost reductions.

The only leverage consumers have against Stern is not buying their stuff. If enough people do that, the tide will change. If they don’t, and Stern feels that new customers will replace the embittered ones, then nothing will change. In fact, from a quality point of view it’s sure to get worse. It’s clear from the release of new titles with the same old problems, and new ones, that we haven’t found that nadir yet.

So, it’s hard to be too mad at Stern for doing what they’re doing. All the power is in the consumers hands, and they are choosing not to use it.

1 month later
#6625 3 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

This seems a bit over the top to me. If you buy a brand new car, you know there MIGHT be issues with it, you don't just forfeit any right to have your issues addressed. The same should be true with brand new pinball machines. So while I agree that people shouldn't be shocked when issues exist, I think they have a right to expect some type of recourse when there is a major issue with their machine.

A more accurate analogy would be buying a car, having issues with it and with the company addressing those issues, selling it, then keeping an ear to the ground and hearing about other owners buying newer versions of the car that still have the same issues and the same difficulties getting them resolved, and after all of that still buying the next car they churn out - because you really like the look of it - on the sheer hope that you won’t suffer the same problems again.

Stern know that people will keep buying their pins in spite of these issues, even if those same people have already experienced the issues themselves! People hear about a new theme coming out and immediately forget this thread and even their own experiences in some cases. FOTM is real.

Stern will never change until people stop putting up with it, and as long as people think it’s a thing that happens to other people, or “I’ll be lucky this time”, then people won’t stop putting up with it.

#6634 3 years ago
Quoted from RellikJM:

It will surprise you that I totally agree with you. I've got a Star Trip that's in much worse shape and I play it. Maybe someday I'll touch it up and clear it but for now it's fine. These machines are designed for commercial route/arcade operation and these defects won't affect the money that a machine in an arcade/on a route makes.

Pros maybe, but Premiums and LEs are clearly aimed at home users nowadays (and have been for some time).

In this post-COVID world arguably Stern’s primary market is going to be home users.

3 months later
#7643 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Some people here like to claim that "the bad playfields are only a tiny percentage and it's all blown out of proportion".
If that's really the case, then Stern /JJP should have no issue/problem replacing the playfields on that "tiny number". The fact that they can't / won't means that they realize that if they replaced all the bad playfields it would cost a fortune.
This is further proven by the fact that even those who do get promised (an unpopulated) playfield end up having to wait months/years for it to be re-made. If it was only a tiny number of playfields there would be enough spare playfields available to send out to those "few" people.
With any big/expensive product (i.e. cars, refrigerators, etc.) there will be a small number of defective ones that get through. It's how the company handles those problems when they arise that matters. Stern and JJP have shown clearly that they have little to no interest in standing behind their products.
Partly this is due (as has been stated above) that they (at least in Stern's case) have a long history of selling to operators rather than end users. However, they have now moved into the (potentially more lucrative) area of the home user - allowing them to significantly increase their prices for "Premium" models. But that lucrative market also expects a far more responsive support structure, which Stern/JJP have not stepped up to provide.
The "cargument" has been made a thousand times, but more realistic is a "frigument". If you bought a $3000 refrigerator that didn't work, how would you feel if the manufacturer said "well, we'll send you a new compressor, but you'll have to install it yourself. And we don't have any spare ones for your model right now - but we'll send you one the next time we re-make your model. Probably in about 6 months or so..."

Even that fridge analogy is too generous, I feel. I could probably have a crack at replacing a compressor.

A more accurate analogy would be expecting customers to rebuild the entire fridge from scratch, from parts, when those customers had only ever just enjoyed consuming food from it, and had never made a fridge before.

Let’s not forget who are buying these pins nowadays too. It’s not ops - in the main - it’s end users who just enjoy playing pinball, who can replace rubbers and maybe do a bit of light soldering if push comes to shove. These companies are expecting those customers to carry out playfield swaps themselves, a task that is not remotely trivial. Even seasoned pros would take some time doing it.

At best all these companies are doing is asking the customer to kick the problem down the road, to the next owner (who also likely won’t be capable of doing it and will leave the replacement PF in storage, for the next owner).

It’s a total shambles. The minimum these companies should be providing are populated playfields, or sending a tech out to do the swap for the customer expenses paid.

2 weeks later
#7795 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

The time frame is bullshit. 18 months is insane. So for that I am super sorry.
I'm about to say something that will get me downvoted to hell, and believe me I'm not stern kiss ass, but.... I'm shocked by the number of people in this hobby that can't fix their own machines. I tell people that if you want to get into pinball, be prepared for something to break. And yes, playfield swaps are extensive, but not difficult if you take it one bite at a time. I'm just surprised how many people get a free 5, 6, 700 dollar playfield and aren't at least grateful for that. Or, they cry for one only not to install it and use it as bait when they sell their machine. Which tells me whatever your issue was, it wasnt that bad after all, huh? Not to change it?
Mine was shit. Unplayable. Not ghosting inserts or bubbling clear, but straight up unplayable trash with warping, leading to inescapable outlane drains.
So i'm replacing it. Happy to do so. Just seems odd how many won't or CAN'T do it.

I too am grateful to our overlord Stern and JJP for providing a replacement free playfield to replace add to the one I've already got.

There is some distance, a gulf in fact, between someone being able to rebuild flippers and do a bit of light soldering, to wholesale replacing a playfield. The two things are not remotely equivalent, so it's a fallacy to say that people who aren't capable of doing the latter can't "fix their own machines". You're using reductive language to absolve Stern/JJP of responsibility to make their customers whole.

Would you make the same argument about people who buy cars, who can change the screenwash, replace the oil, maybe the brake discs, that they should be capable of dropping engines and gearboxes, etc as well? Would you grace car manufacturers with the same latitude that you're giving Stern/JJP here, that it would be perfectly fine for them to send out replacement gearboxes that the customer has to fit themselves, on their own dime?

I'd wager that swapping a playfield is actually probably more complex than replacing an engine or gearbox, given how much wiring is involved, the potential for mistakes that could damage or destroy components that might not be easily replaceable or cost a fortune. Are Stern/JJP standing behind people who undertake this work and wire things the wrong way, blowing node boards, etc?

The absolute least these companies should be doing is providing populated playfields, and even then I'd suggest it's not a trivial job for a typical end user to swap. They ought to be sending these populated playfields out with a technician to do the swap.

I find it staggering that people are actually ok with getting an unpopulated playfield as a solution to a defective warrantied product, it's like they've got Stockholm Syndrome or something.

2 months later
#8173 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Why anyone is buying NIB at this point is beyond me. WTF

Because people can’t help themselves. They must buy the latest theme! And they know it.

The only power people have in this game is not buying into it, but they can’t even manage that.

#8174 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The whole washer thing just seems like complete insanity. We are seeing this manifest itself months later anywhere that something touches the playfield where there is art. A washer just spreads that contact out over more surface area. It seems like it just slows down or delays the issue. I would not be surprised that if in 10 years all the areas with high ball contact just start letting go. Some of these playfields are going to look like those cars (was it Chevy?) that got a bad batch of primer and all of them the paint just fell off after a few years.
I do know Vid is kidding around.

Clearly the answer is fitting bigger and bigger washers until the entire playfield is a sheet of metal.

#8195 2 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

After i sell my game and let them know, just one last kick in my balls, im told great news! I watch these threads on pinside of chipping pooling playfields and mechanical issues yet JJP is still selling plenty of games. SMFH.
[quoted image]

Do you have the equivalent of small claims court over there? In the UK you can basically file a claim against an entity for a nominal cost (equates to a couple of hundred dollars) which then legally burdens the other party with resolving the matter or ending up with a court judgement against them for the claimed value.

Those emails you received have a whiff of just stringing you along until you stop bothering them or accept whatever you can get from them.

1 week later
#8347 2 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

This is true, in fact when i emailed barry that i sold it after waiting 6 weeks for jen to contact me,the response was that is great news!

I'm not going to lie, but I chuckled when i first saw that. It was sortof a black humour chuckle, as I'm sure you must have been incredulous at the time. "Great news, you're going to stop bothering us!"

Someone pointed out earlier that the OP of this thread has been asking about buying the new Mando pin. If true, that pretty much speaks volumes really. It's been said multiple times but Stern, JJP, etc have no motivation to bend over backwards to fix anything so long as demand meets or exceeds supply, especially when the people that complain are just going ahead and buying their next pin sight unseen again anyway, presumably because "this time it'll be different".

People might make the argument that if you weren't buying these new pins, what would you do? Miss out on some great themes? Well, yes, that's exactly what you would do if you had any conviction. If people complain about pooling, chipping, etc and then go on to buy another NIB pin from these same companies, with no assurances that anything has been fixed or improved - they immediately disqualify themselves in my mind as having a legitimate complaint. They are part of the problem.

The ONLY leverage you have over Stern, JJP, indeed many corporate entities, is the power of your wallet. If you can't even manage not to buy the next pin they bring out, because you just can't stop yourself, then you have only yourself to blame, because those companies are meeting your expectations (your actual ones, not the ones you profess to have when you complain about issues).

#8398 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

TL;DR
I have worked with a silicon based high temp clear coating that we were developing to be used in the aircraft lighting industry, I am not an expert but I can offer my experiences-
Our pooling was the result of uncured (un-cross linked and under cross linked polymers) combined with physical pressure. What happens is the CC slowly continues to crosslink and starts hardening as the physical forces of the posts continues to provide pressure. This builds up a slowly increasing difference in force across the "pool" which acted like putting a putty knife under the pooled mass and pried it up. This force is happening because the shrink rate around the post is not linear. Any bond layer between the CC and substrate (i.e. the artwork bond of the inks to wood) will experience a gradient force over time that shears the bonds. This makes the CC the only thing from preventing the newly formed "chip" from coming completely free, until the CC becomes hardened and brittle enough that the force sheers the CC, the chip is now free to roam, and does.
The solution is to ensure the CC is completely crosslinked before installing the posts, which requires extended curing time, and or a curing accelerator (Some CC we used only cross linked at high temps and required a curing oven) but the main thing that has to occur is the CC under the posts needs to be completely cured prior to putting any pressure on the CC, and second, I would look at the bond strength of the artwork to the bare wood or whatever is on the wood. This can be tested by epoxy gluing popsicle sticks to the printed surface and pulling on the end and measuring the force required to separate it. You will find that screen printed inks and paints tend to have WAY more bond strength than DTS printing does.
The manufacturers don't seem to think solving this issue is a big priority. Yet.

Would you say this is a problem of how often new themes are released?

I don’t know Stern’s business model but I’m presuming they have to keep creating and launching new themed pins to remain profitable. This necessarily means that there is a finite time between the design and manufacture of a new themed playfield before it has to be installed in a machine and sold to someone. Since Stern seem to be releasing new themes at least 3 or 4 times a year, this would tend to suggest that - at most - a newly clearcoated playfield has 3 months to cure, and that assumes that Stern are ahead of themselves constantly - i.e. as soon as one theme is distributed they already have the next one manufactured and curing in a room somewhere. That doesn’t seem likely to me.

If this is ultimately a cure time problem, and Stern “have” to crank out 4 themes a year, what is the solution?

(This doesn’t excuse JJP who don’t release stuff with anything like this frequency)

1 week later
#8537 2 years ago

Spare a thought for these young corporate entities just trying to make a living selling boutique products at prices that far exceed the BOM, who then completely wash their hands of any QC issues and make customers wait months to be made whole, or fiat out ignore correspondence completely. It’s just growing pains!

It’s not their fault they’re well aware of playfield issues and have done absolutely nothing to rectify it. That costs money! Money that would be better served sitting on the balance sheet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mohawk, NY
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Durzel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=Durzel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.