IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr-pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

CPR and Mirco each have their issues. You'd only be choosing what kinds of issues your game will present with. Although, seems like with Mirco it's just that they don't allow time for proper curing. On the other hand you cant wave a wand and magically make your CPR go "poof" and become decent hard wood.

There are people who has bought the spare mirco-playfields. Had them for months and still soft as butter.
So, how long does it take for a mirco playfield to harden? 10 years?

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

6-12 months apparently. ... Longer to be safe. Cant remember where I read that, but it was given advice. (Mirco)
There is no possible way these manufacturers are allowing their new releases to cure for anywhere near this amount of time.

You're sayimg that by now mirco potc is hard as rock and fully cured?
Anybody with a bubbly pirates can comfirm this statement?

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from quickstop:

Here is a pic of my Maiden Pro chipping. I never noticed the chipping until I found the missing piece in another area.[quoted image]

Jeez, in ten years that pf will look like a badly peeled orange.

#184 4 years ago

The proper fix will be provided When customers stop buying games.

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I think you may be right.
This picture isn't clear coming off.
It's like a bad playfield overlay that is coming off.
Makes sense that the ink is not adhering to playfield.
How much more does it cost to do good old screen printed?[quoted image]

That pf will look like a nightmare in ten years.

#417 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Im curious if in colder climates its risky to move/transport these games with pf issues? Could moving the game in 10 degree or worse cold make things worse?

You have pieces of the playfield coming right of in less then two weeks of play.
What Do you mean by worse?
Exploding playfields?

#419 4 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Impressive, who’s gonna try this with a new Jjp or Stern playfield ?

You have industrial sites carrying heavy machinery on clearcoat holding up perfectly fine for tens of years.
You have people installing 3d epoxy floors in their homes, with little issues.
Apparently this is something anyone can Do including their grandma, except thoose working with coating pinball playfields.
For theese rocketscientist it's obviously a task Well beyond their ability.

#421 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Wish you guys made Sterns playfields..

Dito + jjp

#426 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My final guess why this is happening. Both Stern and JJP tried to get playfield costs lower by saving money on clear coat costs. Mirco, or whoever doesn't just suddenly lose the ability to make quality playfields after doing so without issue for years. This cost savings theory was introduced on the TWIP podcast and honestly it doesn't surprise me one bit. If true both manufacturers have some nerve to charge record high NIB prices and then cut playfield quality of all things.

This is just speculation. I think it's an automation problem.
They are spraying on the playfields and need the solution sprayable thru nozzles. Hence they want a thinner fluid.
It's like concrete, the more water you mix in, the easier distribution, however it will not be strong enough.

#536 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Not under warranty. People looking for resolution need to remove that word from the conversation. The warranty is printed in every manual I've looked at and it doesn't cover playfields.
Yes, companies have 'taken care of' customers outside of warranty. Without that written warranty we're all left mostly guessing what is covered, for how long, and under what conditions.
It might be helpful to get organized. Decide what to call the defects, document who has them, how many, and on what machines. Affected purchasers could post photos, your distributors could refer to those when dealing with the manufacturers.

Interesting. Here in Sweden everything is covered by one year warranty law.
There is NO way to circumvent this.

#729 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Because it's almost free to do so and isn't likely to do any damage. It MAY help.
The kind of remedy you might try while investigating the root cause.

A serious company Wouldn"t sell a product they knew May be defective.

#867 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Doesn't Varethane (Polyurethane?) turn yellow in time? Or are there new formulations that don't yellow now?

epoxy turns yellow with uv-lighting. Normally polyurethane can protect. Polyurethane is to my knowledge more flexible and resistant, but requiers more to set, there cant be moisture etc.

I think if you go epoxy, you have to have a non-flexible surface below, atleast that´s the case with flooring.

#934 4 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Has anyone asked if JJP would do the swap for those willing to get the game to them?

I think the deal is somewhat fair, under the condition that the spare playfield holds up.

Why?

Having a new i guess takes alot of nuisance of. You will probable be more at ease having thoose mostly cosmetic issues.
Then say that mirpoo playfield, as flawed as it is, still holds up for a 20k games or so.
Then you make the swap and The game looks as good as new. You will then have payed 1500(swap-price) for 20k games.

I realise it"s not a dream situation but, still ok'ish and we get to see the company and their future product.
As said though, the new pf must be flawless and they better look over the coming pf's and qc.

Just my view.

#982 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

You're losing value with the blank playfield.
Would you rather buy pin A used with no damage or pin B used with bubbling/chipping + free blank playfield?
I'd take A

If A showed wear and b looked even worse, still playable, but worse, but had a brand new playfield included.
I would take b.

#1012 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Except it's literally not corrected. Anything short of a fixed & assembled machine is not acceptable.
If anyone thinks otherwise, ask yourself this question. 2 machines are up for sale for the same price, which do you buy?
#1 - A machine with the playfield pooling and chipping, with a new fixed unpopulated playfield.
#2 - Same machine but with just a fixed populated playfield.
Since it's obviously a rhetorical question, the next question is how much cheaper will #1 be than #2? My guess is at least 400-500$. So even with option 1, Stern/JJP is straight up screwing a nib buyer out of 400-500$ (minimum, probably more like 1k). Unacceptable imo.

I think the questions tilts towards #1 if both machines shows signs of wear and How much.

#1125 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Here’s what I paid for my 3 NIB Sterns, in inflation-adjusted dollars (includes shipping & taxes):
2004 - LOTR - $5161
2013 - MET - $5176
2019 - JP2 - $5500
LOTR and MET came with monochrome DMDs, so I added ColorDMDs for $350 (show specials). Considering all that, I think Stern’s pricing has been pretty stable, with steady improvements in audio, graphics and electronics.

Agreed, not to hefty mark up over the years, but you can´t honestly say jp2 is even close to on par quality and electronics wise to the other two?

1 week later
#1448 4 years ago

what will happen to the playfields over time if the paint isnt fixed to the surface and the clear is soft?

This is just a detour and not a fix.

Seems strange to me that this can be an issue at all. Hockeysticks takes ten times the beating of a pinball playfield but no clear chipping and underlaying decor is not moving one bit, them sticks are also flexible as hell, so what is the problem with pinball playfields?

#1466 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I just received my Jurassic Park LE with the new Playfield fixes. Very happy. Think it’s goung to last forever.[quoted image]

Doesnt look to bad. Maintainance should be doable, and exactly as many interactive toys as the pro version.

#1503 4 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thats one seriously ruined playfield

#1837 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Dude, you’re way out in left field. Nobody said issues should or should not be remedied.
The discussion was that Stern has stated it’s not widespread.
That’s all.
Good luck with your Wonka.

Then there shouldn't be any trouble replacing thoose pf's that comes with the defect.

In that sense it's kind of strange, none has reported having their playfields replaced.
The playfield has allready been submitted to two quick fixes. First washers and then lack of art.

Do you honestly believe the stern statement?

#1839 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

And there’s a whole other interesting topic of discussion. Pooling.
ASSUMING it’s only ever pooling, and doesn’t get to chipping, should Stern pay to replace entire playfields? Not in my opinion.
Should they replace playfields with minor chipping near a post? I sure hope they do, cause I like my playfields perfect -but that’s the “collector” approach that I have. Assuming the chip doesn’t affect the gameplay, and the game still works as intended, why would a company offer to pay the costs of replacing playfields? Especially when they’ve previously syptated that playfields aren’t under warranty.
Only if it drastically affects future sales, is the answer.
Damn, I seriously hope we never get to paying for extended warranties as is common in some industries.

What happens if you have pooling now and massive chipping in two years?

#1840 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Disagree. They may have noticed that it was 100% of playfields for a 1 week period and that they needed to fix it moving forward, but that 1 week worth of pins isn’t considered “widespread” in the grand scheme of things.
Something worthy of fixing does not indicate “widespread”.
Does it?

So thoose saying they have chipping on beatles, maiden etc are all liars?

#1842 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

No, of course not. I never said that anyone was a liar.
The discussion is whether there are enough issues to be called “widespread”.
I’ve posted enough on the subject as expressed my opinion.
You are all welcome to your own, and I respect that, truly.
I’m just not a fan if people labelling Stern when I don’t think they are intentionally deceiving anyone.
Of course, you are welcome to vote with your wallets and avoid future pins u til such time as you feel supported enough to purchase.

I'm not crazy pissed, i havent got a dog in this, since i dont own either.
I just think it's frekkin disasterous managed by both stern, and esp jjp.
Jjp must have well known the mirpoo issues on pirates, so why the fuk do they release mirpoo wonka?
Lawler did an awesome game, only to be tarnished by a crap pf manufacturer.
Come the fuk clean and sort it out proper, not this washer, no paint shite, and make good on the customers. I realise they are cornered now and esp jjp probably would cave on total replacements, but come clean, there must be another solution, the way both companies are doing it now, is just digging a bigger hole.
Sorry for crap english /rant off.

#1902 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Great point!
“If a game is expensive, we automatically get to amend the warranty in our favour!”
This is the ridiculousness that is Pinside.
Stern (I believe?) has stated that they will review play fields on a case by case basis. But Pinsiders are upset that Stern hasn’t made a public announcement, over an issue that so far seems to be (in most of the cases) cosmetic, only?
I’m glad we could hash this out to nail down everyone’s expectations of Stern.
Seems reasonable.

Cosmetic only, so of a sudden playfield art and the shape of the playfield art is not important?

Seems strange to me almost zero pinball ads comes without pictures of the actual machine, why not just say that it's working.

Have you really thought your statement thru?

#1984 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

That may illustrate that Stern will probably have to remove artwork under ANYTHING that mounts to the playfield. Ughhh...

So then we start to use cottonballs instead of steelballs, to avoid damage over time?
I'm not to fucking impressed, but I'm hearing spooky, cgc and American is coming out with new titles soon, so maybe pinball can survive.

#2113 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Quick Update:
Stern has been fast to respond to my emails. They said they sent my pictures to quality control and offered to send me a bottle of clear touch-up to mitigate the paint peeling issue.

LOL, this is a joke right?

#2225 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Not really a head scratcher. You had different processes, different materials, and a whole slew of toxic chemicals that are now considered unsafe.
#gimmebackmyVOCs

So cars, hockeysticks, industrial floorings etc are not having The same environmental restrictions that pinball has.
Have to call Bull on that one.
Incompetence is the Word. Environmental is just a really bad excuse.

#2234 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Because prepping metal for paint and clear vs prepping art work covered new growth plywood wood is like comparing apples to walruses.

Yea it sure seems Hard, since only the three smaller companies are able to do it right.

It's an embarrassing fucking joke. That's what it is, and what makes it even worse are all the useful idiots making excuses.

#2256 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Stern’s business plan is a mystery wrapped in a riddle covered in soft clearcoat...working though so what do I know?

Reminds me of apple cult-followers.
Aslong as there is a continous stream of new shiny things, quality and all other aspects are completely ignored, and anybody with even minor concerns are treated, as if them and their family had been attacked.

#2427 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

I'll apply some logic (that I don't agree with) from the big lebowski thread.. if we all push the issue and ask for replacement playfields, JJP will go bankrupt and wont be able to make any more games!
It's B.S. that distributors are claiming new LE's have no more playfield issues, but it sounds like those of us who bought sooner are stuck with puddles of clear and chipping playfields.

So what is the current consensus?
Games beeing produced and going out now is sorted?

#2528 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Has anyone tried to remove a post from an area where there is pooling but no chipping? I'm curious if the bottom of the post is stuck to the clear when trying to remove it.

I would consider warming it with a heat gun or such before i tried the removal.

3 weeks later
#2822 4 years ago

So if i order a wonka le today i get one of em bubbly gooey mf's?

Anybody ordered lately?

#2919 4 years ago
Quoted from DerRoland:

Q: how much is a huo first run JP2 with issues and an unpopulated new playfield worth?
More or less a flawless huo JP2?
An indifferent buyer would pay slightly less, leave the defective pf in the cabinet and store the new one for a future sell.
A collector would pay even less, cause he has to swap the mechs and the risk, that the new pf can be in the same poor quality as the original one.
A clever buyer would say this too, but do nothing and store or sell the new pf.
So when you want the best price, you have to swap the pf before a sale.
I prefer to buy a flawless JP2 next year (or no more pin at all, when stern continues to disrespect their customers).

"So when you want the best price, you have to swap the pf before a sale."

I think it depends on how you value the time and money it takes to do the swap.

3 weeks later
#3168 4 years ago

I recently played an iron maiden at a club.
Fun game to play with lots of nice shots.
No pooling around the posts, but the playfield looked pretty much like the Surface of a golfball.

4 weeks later
#3509 4 years ago

I'm completely new to this hobby.
Well played alot, really alot back in the eighties and early ninties.

Started picking up the hobby again, since my health let me down abit persuing more active hobbies/Sports.

I'm planning on getting a couple of games for an up coming gameroom.

I was away on work a month ago, and tried some new and some old games at a local pinball club.

Unfortunately they didn't have any jjp-games but lots of sterns(imdn, ac/dc, sw, got. Gotg etc). They also had a afmr and some classic like teater of m, fishtales and such.

Afmr was really outstanding. Great fun and quality feel.
Imdn and tom where the next two, that stood out.
Imdn for shots and game play and tom for that magic, art and wow factoring. Tom really shined in that aspect.
Imdn had an Ikea feel, whilst tom was a faberge egg.

What also stood out was the general feel on Stern machines of beeing massproduced cheap toys.
Imdn had a playfield that looked like the moon.

I'm sorry to say this but that's what i saw.

I would really have liked to take tom and afmr home (maybe fishtales for nostagic reason)

Ed:
They had a lord of the rings Stern, that Actually visually stood out., but the GI was so bad and The place was so dark, i really Couldnt
Try it proper.

#3576 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Ultimately it’s really simple.
It’s not beyond the wit of man to produce playfields that don’t chip or pool, or seriously dimple. It was done 30 odd years ago by WMS, it’s still done today by the likes of CGC.
There’s one simple reason why this is happening now: cost. Reduction of BOM has been evident for some time now above the playfield (Munsters topper anyone? Single target bank instead of drops on the same pin, etc) so it’s no great surprise it’s spread to PF quality and QC.

Current Sterns with spike boards and crap playfields, reeks of the same use a while and throw away construction attitude, you see in lots of things today, such as washing machines, cars and furniture to name a few.

Price suggest a collector item, but quality suggest a plastic toy.

#3577 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Ultimately it’s really simple.
It’s not beyond the wit of man to produce playfields that don’t chip or pool, or seriously dimple. It was done 30 odd years ago by WMS, it’s still done today by the likes of CGC.
There’s one simple reason why this is happening now: cost. Reduction of BOM has been evident for some time now above the playfield (Munsters topper anyone? Single target bank instead of drops on the same pin, etc) so it’s no great surprise it’s spread to PF quality and QC.

Reduction of bom

Is BOM common knowledge?
Meaning?

#3652 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I hope I'm wrong, but I think JJP is running out of gas....my bet is investors have thrown down the gauntlet and said either make money or were gonna sell off your assets...

I sure hope not.
Beautiful games match by none.

I think wonka was pretty much destroyed due to mirco.

#3680 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

All these dimples make me wonder.....
Why don’t they compress the wood in a big press before they color print and clear the playfield?
Not a wood guy but there must be a reason they don’t.

How much and when will it expand after that compression?

The right question is ofc why they havent given up on a live material, like wood,when there are so much better composite materials theese days, also easier to addere new pigments to.

2 weeks later
#4113 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

All because they cant QC the playfields correctly prior to populating them... And even then, we all know they noticed the problem while populating them and shipped them out to distributors regardless. Frustrating.

Can it really be called qc-issues when you produce a game and gets reports of clearcoat issues and then goes on and producescthe next game with the same issues?

That`s not a case of lacking qc, but more of to much CBA.

#4268 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Well sadly, if JJP does ever go away, it would leave a legacy of arguably the greatest five games of the last 2 decades. So many production issues have otherwise marred 5 games that have been somewhat peerless in code, music, lcd animation, and overall gameplay since the long lost B/W days.
At this point, I only wonder if Deeproot can possibly create or maintain that standard. Stern certainly isn't....

Putting a JJP next to a stern, it´s one of the great mysteries of life, that stern sells any games at all.

On that note, i think eric on GNR will be awesome.
Clearcoat issues destroyed wonka, whilst stern having the same problem had their sect-members to fall back on, which bought their games anyway.

#4278 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

We need an advocacy group of pinball enthusiasts who can organize and get manufacturers to change their stance on quality and customer service.

One of my first post here on pinside was on the lack of a consumer group, looking out for the customers interest.
Spike for an example in it´s current form is just an insane setup for long time owners.

#4479 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Plywood does that.

Yea crap quality plywood.

#4609 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

For what it’s worth, my STH LE looks awesome. Much thicker coat than the pro, no pooling or chipping. From what I understand with that the pooling is immediate and I don’t see any.

Congrats are in order.
I Do hope Stern gets their quality issues under control and that they start repopulate their playfields with beautiful contraptions.

#4610 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

How many Wonkas do you own to arrive at the conclusion that all of the new ones are solid?

I havent seen any pf complaints with late wonka.
Anybody?

#4648 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Playfield protectors just don't work for me. They play different, take the ball noise away, and get dirty too fast.

How do you feel about modern days thick clear with synthetic/plastic varnish.
Is there less of an issue, when sprayed on?

#4658 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I have had great experiences with modern 2 part auto clear coat finishes that I apply myself. And I'm not talking the rattle can stuff. I use $130/quart DuPont Chroma clear. Nice and hard in a couple days, doesn't chip, and plays to my liking.

Surely there must be something you can do with acrylic or polycarbonate, which mimics the field of the standard wood/clear PF?
Waxes or such?

#4659 4 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

It looks like. There is some Lexan or some sort of Acrylic on top of the playfield. It doesn’t look like a wood surface.

The advantage with polycarbonate/lexan is that it´s a lot sturdier then acrylic. Downside is cost, esp if you want scratch-free polycarbonate, which is really expensive. You need the scratch free type, since normal get scratched really easy.
The nhl uses 8mm scratch free polycarbonate. For the puck, half would suffice, but it has to stop bodychecks etc aswell.

On the whole though a square yard of Scratch free 3mm lexan(which will be enough, if yoú´re not shooting the balls on it with a gun), should still come in under 100$

#4680 4 years ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

For the record.... weight also is also a big factor. The ol' F=Ma^2 plays into it...
It would be interesting to see... how much quicker do *fast* tables dimple compared to slower ones? Assuming that all pinballs weigh the same... a steeper pitch should lead to more PF damage.

I think this is what you are looking for:

F(k)=m*v^2/2

#4697 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

The harder you make the playfield, the harder it will be to cut and drill. Add extra costs for all those drill and router bits that would get dull pretty quickly.
Bamboo seems ideal from a durability standpoint, too bad it grows long enough but isn't wide enough to cover a playfield.

Rofl.
Welcome to the modern era.

#4744 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The new official UV dimple lighting kit makes the dimples disappear!
[quoted image]

Any Word on what the uv does to all the plastic clearcoat etc over time?

1 month later
#5030 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Good point. By producing only novelty videos of people love-tapping plexiglass "playfields" with home-improvement tools, and not actually making pinball machines, Stern indeed would "just end all this crap."

A mm sheet of lexan would more then suffice. The nhl uses 8mm lexan and thats more then enough to stop pucks and multiple bodies smashing into it.

#5032 4 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Hockey glass is plexiglass (acrylic), not lexan (polycarbonate). Lexan would scratch too easy and the clarity isn't that good to began with.

It used to be acrylic 30mm but thats heavy and hard as a rock, nowdays its lexan.
I`m currently building a hockey stadium and we are using before mentioned.

3 months later
#5846 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

As someone who constantly rags on stern for QC issues. I can honestly say on my tmnt le this is hands down by far the best playfield ive seen from stern in years. Playfield looks and feels like glass. No raised inserts.

That´s good news, let´s hope it stays that way.

#5881 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

I no longer buy NIB. Yes, Stern's quality SUCKS all the way! But they do make the most enjoyable and fast playing machines.

Danesi makes the fastest playing machines. Most enjoyable are very opinionated.
The only sterns i´d like to own are older machines and maybe beatles, if the price weren´t so inflated.

2 months later
#6744 3 years ago

Would be really interesting to know when the defective GNR playfield was made.

#6836 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I've heard this many times on here, but I've never seen any evidence. Does anyone on here work in an industry (auto or something?) where this has happened. I know some finishing oils have been banned in Canada...

That is so much bull it's not even funny.
They make epoxi-floor where people park their cars.

4 weeks later
#7280 3 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

One game I don't think i have seen issues on is Star Wars. Can anyone confirm? It is my first NIB and is still waiting to be built...bought it back in August. SW Pro. It looks like art has been pulled back some on newer builds for this one even though I personally haven't read about issues with Star Wars. Does stern use different types/shapes/styles of ball guides in its newer pins?

As it´s mostly totally barren, there really isnt much that can pool/chip.

#7281 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Thought I better resurrect this chestnut as it’s the answer to all Playfield pooling issues......Playfield art is overrated anyway.....
[quoted image]

Honestly i´m seeing a bit of pooling near the left inlane.

1 month later
#7435 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

The car companies do give you touch up paint for all the paint chips!

Isnt that for damage due to growel and small stones?
If a car company gave me touch up paint for assembly or manufacturing dmg i would never accept it.

That.said, this thread slowing down, is hopefully a really good sign.

#7440 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Sadly the thread tends to come to life whenever a new pin drops. Good luck to all the Led Zeppelin buyers.

Still hoping the troubles are behind the companies and us enthusiasts.

2 weeks later
#7508 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

interesting (that level is not warped FYI)[quoted image]

Rofl.
It's so badly warped i wouldnt even use that on a wall.

1 month later
#7896 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

This operator has found out how to avoid pooling
[quoted image]

What has happened to the ramp entrance next to the knight?

Also, if this is what the game looks like after two years, i guess people can stop worrying about spike replacement boards ten years down the line. The rest of the game will be way beyond repair by then.

2 months later
#8236 2 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

So is a Spooky the only pin company making great playfields at the moment? What a disgrace Stern and JJP are. The playfield is the heart of every pin.

Spooky, ap, dutch and pb all seems to have good playfields. Haggis is probably good too.
I wouldnt hesitate to do buissness with ap, haggis or spooky.

#8278 2 years ago

So

Gomez:

"those guys in Europe put the plastic on the playfields, which by the way I think is absolutely atrocious. We spend so much time trying to make a pinball machine feel the way it does and shoot the way it does. And then these guys come and add a sixteenth of an inch and everybody says “oh, it’s just a couple millimeters”…yeah I know, but the position of your drop target or your standup target or your ramp flap, whatever, relative to the – you didn’t move the target up, so the ball is hitting the target at a different place, at a different height…[and] on the plastic, the ball tends to slide as opposed to roll on certain shots. When it skips, forget about it…it is a wild ball. That is the issue with the polycarbonate solution."

What does he think clear-coat is?

#8294 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

clear coat is not 1/16" nor it is even close to be.

So how thick the plastic is makes all the difference?
i´m seriously interested, have never played with a pf-protector, but it seems to me, that if it doesnt feel the same, there should be some kind of wax making it the same?

the same can be said about a newly cleaned pinballmachine. It plays different then before the cleaning.

#8350 2 years ago
Quoted from Stef95:

And the worst is that people think that a company can stop its production line by snapping its fingers, not delivering a machine for 1 year and coming back as if nothing had happened, apologizing for not having been perfect !! Seriously, if they can they'll recrify all these problems. Be patient, enjoy life and your pinball machine and especially if you are better than them get started in pinball production and let us see what you are capable of.

This is a redicoulus statement. there have been reported problems since dialed in and still hasn´t been resolved.

the solution is simple and should have been dealth with five years ago. Kick mirco to the curb.

#8385 2 years ago
Quoted from Stef95:

Ah well, if you have a simple solution, give them a phone call and the problem is solved.

I've allready done just that.

It's an obvious solution.

#8412 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

To know with certainty the playfields are being properly painted and cleared, there needs be test that can be run by JJP, prior to installing or paying for them. Obviously, Mirco can perform same test to verify the playfields are good, but they are also tasked with doing it right the first time. Any playfields don’t pass the test, they don’t get used or paid for. They are returned to Mirco who now sands both sides and repeats process. So the valuable playfield blank is not lost, it’s a only redo. This will accelerate the process of JJP switching to Vader or CGC or requiring Mirco to screen print their playfields. Better yet they jump ship ASAP. But until that happens ...
That test exists now and should be run on every playfield arriving at JJP. Not the post test currently being screwed in, but the popsicle test. After gluing sticks to playfield, they are pulled off and the force required is measured. A low amount of force that can pull stick off and whether paint comes off with clear, indicates low cross bonding. JJP should make effective immediately, all playfields will now have artwork printed and cleared on the UNDER side of playfield too. Then any testing of paint to cc adhesion could be done at will by anyone at anytime and it doesn’t destroy the playfield for use. Costs more, but it is only reliable way to ensure you are building the pin with a GOOD playfield.

I heard an interesting podcast a year or two ago, where an old-williams designer talked about playfields, revealing that when they had a new formula/method for the playfields, they made 10% or so with the new method and then checked out how they faired over time.

Smart move, since if it doesnt work out, it´s only a subset going down and that can be sorted. If it workes out, it´ll be implemented for the next game.

point is, to be 100% sure, you need lots of field tests.

2 weeks later
#8687 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

I absolutely wanted to keep the game. If you look at my collection I dont own a single modern game outside of JJP. I've owned all their games and honestly wanted to keep all 6 in my collection. GNR broke me of that fantasy. That being said I truly hope they do find an answer and quickly as I feel they do make the most magical games in pinball and force Stern and the rest of the industry to compete and push the limit. We need that. We need JJP to keep innovating. Unfortunately their is a bleeding elephant in the room that needs addressed and customers (like myself) who need to know that the company we continually invest in also has our backs. I for one am rooting for a speedy and just resolution for all affected.
My 2 cents of course.

Great post.

The games are really different and feels more thought-thru and there is no question eric and the team put their best effort into the games.
Bravo!

Jjp we know you make great games, but can you please drop mirco
(The pre-talk for the next title will not be is it toy-story? Is it pat? Are the assets there?
The pre talk will be, is it mirco?)

Also fix the flipper fatigue.

#8773 2 years ago

Maybe the best solution pressurewise is a thrugoing nut?

Think something like this but with a wider base in the underside?

https://www.amazon.se/Kolst%C3%A5l-metrisk-g%C3%A4ngad-mutter-mutterf%C3%A4ste/dp/B075WXZ5XX/ref=asc_df_B075WXZ5XX/

If you dont want any pressure at all on the surface you can secure it on the underside

https://www.hoffmann-group.com/SE/sv/ravema/Sp%C3%A4nnteknik/Sp%C3%A4nnelement/Sp%C3%A4nndorn-f%C3%B6r-borrning-av-genomg%C3%A5ende-h%C3%A5l/p/370015

Somewhat exaggerated but the picture i found.
Just to get the idea.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.99
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 25.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr-pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=Dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.