IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aquapin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1190 4 years ago

So the machine I set up tonight had very minor rippling/pooling. Removed the ugly metal washers from under the sling posts and found this (see left pic). I applied the heat gun on low for 10-15 seconds and it leveled into a nice smooth finish. This is great if it was permanent, but if a little heat can level it, imagine what a pinball can will do to it long term.

Icewatercoat (resized).pngIcewatercoat (resized).png
2 weeks later
#1823 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

What exactly has Stern done that could be seen as “sweeping this under the rug”?

Adding washers instead of dealing with the actual problem for starters...

4 months later
#4390 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

They removed the artwork not to hide the damage, but to allow the clear to adhere to the wood. The problem with the pooling is coming from the artwork not adhering to the wood. The clear is doing its job - the art isn’t.

It was a combination of both. The paint would not impact the fact that the clear can be leveled with a heat gun. They have since made adjustments to both the art and clear coat.

4 months later
#5360 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yeah.... based on the pic it looks like a pro version. I wonder if premiums are better?

Nope, grain lines and chipping do not discriminate...happens to all models.

4 months later
#7150 3 years ago

127 plays and it's already down to wood. Tried to glue but to brittle. Painted it black and clear coated it. Same thing around Thor. There is no "Stern Lottery", only "Stern Inevitably".

20201107_192357 (resized).jpg20201107_192357 (resized).jpg
#7154 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

That's just poor mechanical design having a metal rail tightened against the clear. Bad and inexcusable as this is, I would not lump it in with the current Stern and JJP playfield issues from the digital art/new clear issue. There should be a factory washer, flange or something similar to hold the rail slightly raised. Looking at the nearby post, the clear is just fine; no pooling.

Agree, poor design that a simple washer could prevent.

If you look to the left in the image, you can see the clear coat is bunched up. I leveled it using the heat gun.

Thinning the clear coat and removing art around the posts helped, but it has not solved it. Considering where this guide sits, there's no excuse for chipping off after such a short amount of plays. Stern clearly still has improve the adhesion of the paint and hardening of clear coat.

1 month later
#7408 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Axe to grind or not, everything he is saying is true.

No it isn't. The main node boards are compatible across all Spike 2 systems (Node 0, 1, 8, 9); they are even called common node boards in the manual. The daughter boards such as lights are obviously not because they are formed to each games layout; no different practice than JJP, CGC, etc.

Lermods responded to this video in another thread that I think warrants a read too:

Quoted from Lermods:

Thanks for posting, some points are valid and I have my own concerns about the spike system related to ability to diagnose and fix, cost of repair parts and short warranty, but some claims aren’t so valid or are half truths.
For example, he claims the internet is awash with claims of failing spike components, more than other manufacturers. I’d like to see the data on that. The fact is that stern makes multiples of any other manufacturer so of course they will have more reported problems. The true data showing stern has a higher percentage of problems is what’s needed to support that claim. I have owned many games over the years and found spike games to be no less reliable.
He says jjp makes a higher quality game , but I’m not sure that is entirely true. It’s true jjp puts more into their games and some things are better (power supply, for example), but jjp games have many issues too, just look at the potc and woz threads.
Schematics are available, contrary to his claim, though maybe only partially.
Onboard diagnostics do need to be improved. Node board X not found is not helpful.
Warranty is too short, would be great to have something along the lines what CGC has.
Resale value of a new spike game vs a bw game is not relevant. Games still being produced will not climb in value compared to games that are becoming rarer, ridiculous point. Spike games have held their value, but supply is a factor.
Laptop parts cost vs pinball parts cost, not valid. Laptops components are produced by the millions, stern parts by the thousands. economies of scale needs to be considered. That said, it is concerning that node boards are not compatible across games and the cost of the node boards is pretty high, including the CPU.
Personally, I do think stern cares about issues with their games, just like any other manufacturer., and would take steps to correct any that were widespread...how could they not. They have good people working there, but they are running a business and need to do things that makes them money and allows them to grow. Some things do need to be improved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 91.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aquapin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=Aquapin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.