IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 185.
#4901 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I could contact them and have them make a pin about my socks. I'm sure they would as long as I ponied up the dough.

Unless, of course, these are your socks.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
#4902 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Unless, of course, these are your socks.[quoted image]

Guess I gotta get some these now! Damn it.

#4903 4 years ago

There are some beauties in that Bricks thread!

Lol

#4904 4 years ago

Ready for some “extreme dimpling?”

Played this guy today. Ball kept getting stuck and when I checked I initially though it was the ramp flap. It wasn’t even touching it rather resting in the valley.

RIP clear coat.
2323DD21-E0EC-4013-97AF-226FF517A02E (resized).jpeg2323DD21-E0EC-4013-97AF-226FF517A02E (resized).jpeg927AA742-A540-424B-B353-4FC15BDF3651 (resized).jpeg927AA742-A540-424B-B353-4FC15BDF3651 (resized).jpeg

#4905 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Played this guy today. Ball kept getting stuck and when I checked I initially though it was the ramp flap. It wasn’t even touching it rather resting in the valley.
RIP clear coat.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Mylar is damaged... stern has a cliffy style fix that was implemented on later runs

#4906 4 years ago

We are still seeing new reports of upper post chipping on Jurassic Park games even with the blank area around posts. Chipping around sling posts seems eliminated but I'm not sure why it's still an issue at this post right below the upper right flipper. Is this area chipping because the ball hits the post so often causing movement?

This makes me wonder if Stern changed anything with their playfield clear process or only made the no artwork change around posts? If it is the latter then the root cause of chipping may not have been addressed. Then again we've heard reports that Stern uses multiple companies to make playfields so maybe that's why their playfield QC is so hit or miss.

d9579e2209937889c6dc8ddba78ff005bc0e56f1 (resized).jpgd9579e2209937889c6dc8ddba78ff005bc0e56f1 (resized).jpg

#4907 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Lets put out another title instead of addressing all of these obvious issues on the previous ones first!!! Have pinheads even been asking for this??
[quoted image]

Have you seen the price of this????

#4908 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Then again we've heard reports that Stern uses multiple companies to make playfields so maybe that's why their playfield QC is so hit or miss.

They cut and insert 100% of their playfields at Stern.

Multiple vendors for art and clear. Not sure how many. Dwight confirmed this on his tour.

I don’t think there’s a post that takes more abuse than this one. Probably should’ve been one of those tnuts on the top side that is recessed like they used to do with sling posts.

#4909 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They cut and insert 100% of their playfields at Stern.
Multiple vendors for art and clear. Not sure how many. Dwight confirmed this on his tour.
I don’t think there’s a post that takes more abuse than this one. Probably should’ve been one of those tnuts on the top side that is recessed like they used to do with sling posts.

They need to make a new 1-piece post that has an integrated flange on the bottom to distribute the force of the ball across a wider area on the playfield. Then attach it through the playfield with a nut and large diameter hardened washer on the bottom of the playfield. According to the quick sketch I made, you could do a 1/16"x 7/8" integrated base flange and still not hit the ball. The current washer looks to be about a 1/2" diameter? That would be about 70% more surface area to dissipate the force.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4910 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

No..………….you're scaring me. Should I even ask? LOL

#4911 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

They need to make a new 1-piece post that has an integrated flange on the bottom to distribute the force of the ball across a wider area on the playfield. Then attach it through the playfield with a nut and large diameter hardened washer on the bottom of the playfield. According to the quick sketch I made, you could do a 1/16"x 7/8" integrated base flange and still not hit the ball. The current washer looks to be about a 1/2" diameter? That would be about 70% more surface area to dissipate the force.
[quoted image]

What exactly is the posts purpose? If it isn't needed I'd just remove it completely and put a mylar dot over it right out of the box.

#4912 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

What exactly is the posts purpose? If it isn't needed I'd just remove it completely and put a mylar dot over it right out of the box.

Protects the upper flipper from very hard ball hits. The flipper would most likely break in short order if it took direct hits to the tip.

#4913 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Protects the upper flipper from very hard ball hits. The flipper would most likely break in short order if it took direct hits to the tip.

It’s to deflect balls coming down the right orbit. Elwin said without the post you get SDTMs all the time.

#4914 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

RIP clear coat.

Incorrect. That is mylar put back there that wasn't installed well so is pulling up.

#4915 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

would most likely break in short order if it took direct hits to the tip.

That’s what she said.

#4916 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s to deflect balls coming down the right orbit. Elwin said without the post you get SDTMs all the time.

Head2Head pinball podcast episode 106 right before the 10:00 Mark.

Keith said number one reason is to protect the flipper. Then he said they offset it to prevent SDTM drains.

2C1D0FCD-93F0-4099-869D-2A42A7293F78 (resized).jpeg2C1D0FCD-93F0-4099-869D-2A42A7293F78 (resized).jpeg
#4917 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Never mind I just did MSRP $8299...…………..LOL

#4918 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

RIP clear coat.

lift the mylar and it will be fine, atleast was on mine. Stern have a thick faux metal sticker that you can get from them as a service upgrade (my dealer sent me two for both my games).

Neil.

#4919 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The dimpling doesn’t bother me any but pooling and chipping certainly does. As far as my two playfields go, i know that i am probably not going to be satisfied with their resolution but to be almost completely ignored for 8 months pisses me off. I think I will give Pablo a call tomorrow since I haven’t heard anything back from Stern.

have to say it's really disappointing that Stern haven't got back to you. When I've had issues they have been responsive. Might be worth an email to Patrick Power.

Neil.

#4920 4 years ago

1000 games in on my Elvira premium. LOVE THE GAME! Playfield is beautiful after 1000 games. No chipping. No pooling. Minor dimples, but barely noticeable. Whatever they did worked for this one, hopefully the new secret sauce is working.

#4921 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

1000 games in on my Elvira premium. LOVE THE GAME! Playfield is beautiful after 1000 games. No chipping. No pooling. Minor dimples, but barely noticeable. Whatever they did worked for this one, hopefully the new secret sauce is working.

Really Wacky? No shit, my JP and Elvira game is the exact same way.

So the reality means something?

#4922 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

1000 games? Awesome to hear its turning out great. I love the idea behind the B movie stuff I'm just not a big Elvira fan for some reason (don't dislike her, just never really watched). Lyman knows how to code video assets that for sure, his work on BM66 is unbelievable.

#4923 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So you haven't bought a game with playfield issues? Then why are you coming here insulting people who have? Kind of immature, no?

#4924 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

You either suck at pinball or need to get out more.

#4925 4 years ago

I think this all proves one thing. Don't buy NIB anymore. Just wait to find out what issues exist, find a used game that doesn't have those issues or already has the fix. Or maybe the fix is cheap and the game is cheap. Either way you know what you're getting versus this crap shoot.

#4926 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Quoted from Rondogg:

So you haven't bought a game with playfield issues? Then why are you coming here insulting people who have? Kind of immature, no?

A big reason this thread exists is to establish whether or not there are still issues with playfield quality from the various manufacturers, and if there are issues, then to establish how widespread. Iceman coming online and telling us his pins are in good shape is exactly what this thread is for. We want to hear from everyone. For example, what if 99% of machines were fine, but only the 1% with problems posted here, then it would make the playfield problems seem much more widespread then they actually were.

We need status updates from the community, both good and bad, in order to be able to establish any facts with a degree of accuracy.

#4927 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

You either suck at pinball or need to get out more.

Probably both.

#4928 4 years ago

I’ve got a JP Premium and STh Premium on the way. I’ll report back on their playfields after a few hundred games.

#4929 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I’ve got a JP Premium and STh Premium on the way. I’ll report back on their playfields after a few hundred games.

The JP playfields dont seem to dimple as bad as the STh playfields.

#4930 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

He is the resident little kid.

#4931 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You also don't get air balls on JP like you do on Stranger Things. Seems every game I get a glass hit with ST not to mention all of the air balls due to shooting the demo ramp. I don't recall ever seeing an air ball or glass strike with JP.

#4932 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think that is because STh is more prone to air balls due to the big flap for hitting the vagina thingy. GB premium LE has lots of air balls and dimples a lot also.

#4933 4 years ago

Just played 10 games or so on SThLE. Disappointing on so many levels. No callouts, monotone audio, lousy shot choreography, boring layout/shots. Initial wow factor of the projector wore off after 5-10 minutes. Demogorgon was really tough to hit...did it once in 10 games.

I realize why hardcore fans (of the series) might still like it, but I'm certain it won't be loved by the hardcore pinball crowd. The license is also unlikely to age gracefully...

#4934 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Just played 10 games or so on SThLE. Disappointing on so many levels. No callouts, monotone audio, lousy shot choreography, boring layout/shots. Initial wow factor of the projector wore off after 5-10 minutes. Demogorgon was really tough to hit...did it once in 10 games.
I realize why hardcore fans (of the series) might still like it, but I'm certain it won't be loved by the hardcore pinball crowd. The license is also unlikely to age gracefully...

Very true. And don't forget about the price tag of the machine.

#4935 4 years ago

#4936 4 years ago

This is my Jurassic Park Premium yesterday I notice that the playfield got some small white dots in 5-6 places. The clare looks intact but I cant remember that I got them before is those damaged from the ball? Somebody else have something like this?

BC0283A8-958B-436D-86E2-C3B8BBCC1E5B (resized).jpegBC0283A8-958B-436D-86E2-C3B8BBCC1E5B (resized).jpegEC963850-D45D-48BB-AAED-6402ABE5D27D (resized).pngEC963850-D45D-48BB-AAED-6402ABE5D27D (resized).png
#4937 4 years ago
Quoted from Aetos:

This is my Jurassic Park Premium yesterday I notice that the playfield got some small white dots in 5-6 places. The clare looks intact but I cant remember that I got them before is those damaged from the ball? Somebody else have something like this?[quoted image][quoted image]

You need to do one of two things stop listening to all the Pinside fools and if you still feel the playfield is not acceptable than find a new hobby

#4938 4 years ago

I remember when I bought my first pin, a Tron NIB in 2012, I was already made crazy by Pinside that I was afraid to play it and was agonizing over the clear.

As Dr Freedman from M*A*S*H so eloquently said:

"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice: pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

#4939 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

You need to do one of two things stop listening to all the Pinside fools and if you still feel the playfield is not acceptable than find a new hobby

I may take your advace haha

#4940 4 years ago
Quoted from Aetos:

This is my Jurassic Park Premium yesterday I notice that the playfield got some small white dots in 5-6 places. The clare looks intact but I cant remember that I got them before is those damaged from the ball? Somebody else have something like this?[quoted image][quoted image]

You are inspecting your playfield way too close lol. That's nothing, play your game and g have fun. Check your balls to make sure they are in good shape though every so often.

#4941 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Check your balls to make sure they are in good shape though every so often.

Good advice! Testicular cancer is no joke. Juggle the boys every once in a while.

#4942 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Hell charge me an extra 1000$ for a playfield

Don’t worry, they will. Except without that ‘indestructible’ part.

#4943 4 years ago

Gents, in the grand scheme of the things - dimples aside. Can we say the clear coat, pooling, chipping issues are now starting to subside?
I’m talking about newly built pins of course and not ones sat at distributors for a while no one wants - for example - Deadpools, IMDNs, early JPs etc....
I know if I buy a NIB, I’ll be wanting to know the build date so as not to get stuck with a shitty one. It would need to be very early or very late but nothing circa 2017-2019 or can we lock the timeframe-down better?
For sure there’s gonna be NIB lemons at the Distros that need to be avoided like the plague, don’t want anyone to get stuck with one of these pieces of sh*t playfields!

Edit: I know in UK for example a bunch of Beatles have been in stock for a while at premium price which haven’t sold very well. Potentially could fit into the cleargate time zone!!!

#4944 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

So is this just the new normal? Pooled and chipping clear around posts on playfields, and playfield clearcoat that is so soft ...
[quoted image]

Clearcoat needs time to fully harden. Thicker clear takes longer. Companies assemble PFs before they're fully cured. "GREEEED"

#4945 4 years ago

There's a sth pro at a local bar. Has literally every main issue that people complain about and the game doesn't even get a huge amount of play. People need to stop saying these issues are normal cause they aren't. It's looking like Playfield protectors are going to become a must the way these new playfields are holding up

#4946 4 years ago

For the first time in pinball history scientists have examined a modern Stern playfield with a microscope. The images were then spliced together to produce this incredible 4K video.

#4947 4 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

There's a sth pro at a local bar. Has literally every main issue that people complain about and the game doesn't even get a huge amount of play. People need to stop saying these issues are normal cause they aren't. It's looking like Playfield protectors are going to become a must the way these new playfields are holding up

Name of bar?

#4948 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For the first time in pinball history scientists have examined a modern Stern playfield with a microscope. The images were then spliced together to produce this incredible 4K video.

5ede37edebb09d0f1d3ad4de05607fcc4aecffbb.jpeg (resized).jpg5ede37edebb09d0f1d3ad4de05607fcc4aecffbb.jpeg (resized).jpgc3b40a51baa622df0e6aeae8f5cff502fe6d2a9a.jpeg (resized).jpgc3b40a51baa622df0e6aeae8f5cff502fe6d2a9a.jpeg (resized).jpg
#4949 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

To be fair that is being blasted with light to make the dimples visible. They are virtually invisible outside the reflection. I agree all playfields dimple but they are not all the same. There is variation and I have seen new Sterns that look brutal from any angle in any light. Just on route in a bar players position and they are a mess.

#4950 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

To be fair that is being blasted with light to make the dimples visible. They are virtually invisible outside the reflection. I agree all playfields dimple but they are not all the same. There is variation and I have seen new Sterns that look brutal from any angle in any light. Just on route in a bar players position and they are a mess.

To be fair that is how people who bitch about dimples have always shown them. The thread I picked these from dumb-ass people were talking about softwood WTF. If that were a Stern game seeing the wood grain idiots would claim planking the tight grain actually shows that it is a hardwood

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Shore, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
System-J
Other
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution
Pinball Machine
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
Machine - For Sale
Niwot, CO
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop
Backbox
$ 16.00
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/99?hl=sako-trg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.