IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 185.
#4701 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

To his point, he talking about the compressed wood that is as hard as steel. Not some soft plastic.
With something like wood that is compressed and as hard as steel how do they "CNC" that? Do they use water jets or plasma or lasers or something else?

CNC Routers can be used for any material including metal. A quality carbide bit will each most any material. As I used to make the prototype playfields (Long ago) for Williams on a laser the carbon (burnt) edge would never work well for production playfields and a waterjet (which I sell now) would ruin the material faster then it could process it.

#4702 4 years ago

How is no one seeing this?

pin (resized).PNGpin (resized).PNG
#4703 4 years ago

So I have an old Gottlieb Victory with a similar playfield surface...kind of like a hardtop, but a bit thinner. The playfield has held up well the last 30 years, but I have not figured out how to polish the ball trails out of it. You can get the dirt off, but the surface isn't as shiny as where they balls travel (think lanes that are only as wide as the ball. I have used Novus 1, 2 and 3, and none of those seem to make any improvement on shine. I guess I will have to strip the whole thing down and try the "mylar reconditioning" method. On clearcoated playfields, the shine comes right back after a good cleaning. Even on a game that had the crap routed out of it (like early 2000's Sterns).

#4704 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

So I have an old Gottlieb Victory with a similar playfield surface...kind of like a hardtop, but a bit thinner. The playfield has held up well the last 30 years, but I have not figured out how to polish the ball trails out of it. You can get the dirt off, but the surface isn't as shiny as where they balls travel (think lanes that are only as wide as the ball. I have used Novus 1, 2 and 3, and none of those seem to make any improvement on shine. I guess I will have to strip the whole thing down and try the "mylar reconditioning" method. On clearcoated playfields, the shine comes right back after a good cleaning. Even on a game that had the crap routed out of it (like early 2000's Sterns).

Totally risky but I wonder it flame polishing like ramps would fix it?

#4705 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Totally risky but I wonder it flame polishing like ramps would fix it?

I could try it sometime in a hidden area just to see. If I really really cared, it's like the cheapest playfield out there to buy NOS. But it would be good to figure out a way to deal with this issue now that hardtops are starting to become more popular.

#4706 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

How is no one seeing this?[quoted image]

Massive glare..?

#4707 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

How is no one seeing this?[quoted image]

What, that big white welt after the love tap with the hammer?

Yes I am seeing it.

I just don't care as this whole thing is a joke. Haggis pinball will never become a thing and neither will thick plastic playfields.

#4708 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Massive glare..?

That's not glare buddy, that's damage done by the hammer. It's in the middle of a shadowed area, do we need to explain how glare works?

#4709 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

That's not glare buddy, that's damage done by the hammer. It's in the middle of a shadowed area, do we need to explain how glare works?

It's probably a bit of dust or dirt off the hammer. These type of material can take 100 MPH slaphots and stop bullets but you guys are going full tinfoil hat because they hit it with a hammer. The whole thing was just a little silly marketing no one is going take a hammer to a playfield.

#4710 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

It's probably a bit of dust or dirt off the hammer. These type of material can take 100 MPH slaphots and stop bullets but you guys are going full tinfoil hat because they hit it with a hammer. The whole thing was just a little silly marketing no one is going take a hammer to a playfield.

Well, maybe a Ghostbusters...

#4711 4 years ago

Or someone could just call Balcer or whatever the name of the company Spooky uses for their current playfields and ask if a hard enough wood can be sourced for the top veneer of the playfield. Since Spooky has seen improvement I say that yes for a price hard wood can still be sourced. It’s probably about money with certain companies using a harder wood on their playfield.

#4712 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

To his point, he talking about the compressed wood that is as hard as steel. Not some soft plastic.
With something like wood that is compressed and as hard as steel how do they "CNC" that? Do they use water jets or plasma or lasers or something else?

Water Jets plasma or lasers?Sounds expensive Stern is trying to save money not spend more.

#4713 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Water Jets plasma or lasers?Sounds expensive Stern is trying to save money not spend more.

Yep. Stern has long been about the cheapest solution.

It doesn’t matter whether it will work, as we all continue to buy.

#4714 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Stern already has a high speed router in house that they use for playfields now. Wouldn't be hard to do any playfield cut with the machine they have.

#4715 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Or someone could just call Balcer or whatever the name of the company Spooky uses for their current playfields and ask if a hard enough wood can be sourced for the top veneer of the playfield. Since Spooky has seen improvement I say that yes for a price hard wood can still be sourced. It’s probably about money with certain companies using a harder wood on their playfield.

Techniply - Oconto Falls, Wi is the plywood manufacturer. They used to make the plywood 7 ply boards for Williams too. https://www.techniply.com/
Their hardwood veneer and process of cross laminating all the layers is exceptional. I am sure they have a lesser grade product, but the uncut board is not that expensive. It wouldn't even make sense to degrade to a lesser product for a minimal savings.

#4716 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Lol you are kidding right? Do you think 8’ sheets of plywood come from 8’ wide trees??

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4717 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

[quoted image]

I'm surprised JJP's best-built, highest quality pins were not equipped with redwood or sequoia playfields. At least on the ones over $9k retail

#4718 4 years ago

for the record, my wonka le born on october 30 2019 is exhibiting some very minor pooling around the upper post on the left sling. everything else seems ok, just this one post has a little bunching at the base. i don't recall seeing any when it was unboxed (i did look closely at the time, early december), and am currently about 700 games in. i'm not too bothered at this stage, as long as it doesn't get any worse, and i don't want my distro to think that i am just out to find problems because i have been a real thorn in his side until now

but i did want to make clear to all that not all late run le wonkas are immune. i will keep monitoring and update the thread if it should progress/get any worse.

20200209_121924 (resized).png20200209_121924 (resized).png20200209_121933 (resized).png20200209_121933 (resized).png
#4719 4 years ago
Quoted from notmyrealname:

but i did want to make clear to all that not all late run le wonkas are immune. i will keep monitoring and update the thread if it should progress/get any worse.

for some reason, the pooling takes time to show up. Not sure why. I'm assuming the first batch of games it shows up much quicker, if it is indeed still rearing its head on later games.

#4720 4 years ago

i'm not too bothered at this stage, as long as it doesn't get any worse

Hate to say it but it most likely will get worse and probably chip. Be a thorn in your distributors side and tell him about it and get it on record with JJP.

#4721 4 years ago

for the record, my wonka le born on october 30 2019 is exhibiting some very minor pooling around the upper post on the left sling. everything else seems ok, just this one post has a little bunching at the base. i don't recall seeing any when it was unboxed (i did look closely at the time, early december), and am currently about 700 games in. i'm not too bothered at this stage, as long as it doesn't get any worse, and i don't want my distro to think that i am just out to find problems because i have been a real thorn in his side until now
but i did want to make clear to all that not all late run le wonkas are immune. i will keep monitoring and update the thread if it should progress/get any worse.[quoted image][quoted image]

Fix it. Remove the post and iron it down, add a washer and be done with it. Don’t wait for it to get worse.

#4722 4 years ago

but i did want to make clear to all that not all late run le wonkas are immune. i will keep monitoring and update the thread if it should progress/get any worse.[quoted image][quoted image]

Damn that's a shame this being your first pin and first post!

#4723 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

it IS actually my first pin, though like i said i want to avoid antagonising my distro any further and i created a throwaway account to avoid highlighting my case at this stage - my normal username is very easy to remember

20200211_nnnnnn (resized).png20200211_nnnnnn (resized).png
#4724 4 years ago

it IS actually my first pin, though like i said i want to avoid antagonising my distro any further and i created a throwaway account to avoid highlighting my case at this stage - my normal username is very easy to remember[quoted image]

I dont understand why you think your distributor is going to be mad or upset if you tell him about this. His job is to help you before, during, and after the sale.

#4725 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I see what you did there....

#4726 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

for some reason, the pooling takes time to show up. Not sure why. I'm assuming the first batch of games it shows up much quicker, if it is indeed still rearing its head on later games.

This is why I roll my eyes every time someone comes on here and says, “my new ___ pin with born on date ___ is perfect!! Buy with confidence! They’ve solved it!”

It’s like antivaxers that say “I never got mumps so vaccines are unnecessary!”

You can’t extrapolate like that!

#4727 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

This is why I roll my eyes every time someone comes on here and says, “my new __ pin with born on date __ is perfect!! Buy with confidence! They’ve solved it!”

I have a game that was built in July last year. It has pooling everywhere, and a crack/chip on the right sling, lower starpost. I'm currently working with my distro, who BTW, is absolutely awesome.

I did not notice it at first, but I'm assuming the pooling was there from the build date. It's too bad that the PF's are cracking and chipping, because the pooling could be something to live with.

#4728 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

This is why I roll my eyes every time someone comes on here and says, “my new __ pin with born on date __ is perfect!! Buy with confidence! They’ve solved it!”

Wonka was different because there were a lot of early SE buyers (first run production)who had bad playfields.But when they upgraded to second run games October and on there was no complaint of pooling until the newcomer up here,with minor pooling on one post.So yes I say buy JJP’s Wonka from the second production run!

#4729 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

I still have zero idea what I'm supposed to be focused in on. Sorry my vision of that blurry image is not up to par for you.

#4730 4 years ago

Here let me help you. This is where the hammer hit the playfield.

pin (resized).PNGpin (resized).PNG
#4731 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Here let me help you. This is where the hammer hit the playfield.[quoted image]

Not an expert but it looks like it could be a reflection to me. Here's another image:

Seems like there's white reflections all over the place. Also, that white spot isn't there later in the video. Now sure, they could be faking this whole thing and swapping out playfields after every hit or something, but I'm not sure what the point of that would be. They also look down at the playfield right after hitting it and laugh with happiness -- not sure they would do that if they just scuffed up the playfield.

Just my thoughts.

celt2 (resized).jpgcelt2 (resized).jpg
#4732 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Or someone could just call Balcer or whatever the name of the company

Not a great choice of company names if you are manufacturing hard wood products!

#4733 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont understand why you think your distributor is going to be mad or upset if you tell him about this. His job is to help you before, during, and after the sale.

It’s surreal.. being almost apologetic to the manufacturer/distributor for highlighting a defect on a $10k brand new product.

“I really hope you don’t mind sir, but I have a teensy weensy problem with my premium priced product. It’s probably my fault. I hope you’re not mad. Forget I said anything”.

Bizarro world.

#4734 4 years ago

I heard Stern is pretty upset about this Haggis pinball vs Sledgehammer video. This leaked video show's Gary's initial comment and reaction as he then proceeds to punch a Stern playfield! Needless to say it didn't hold up well but some Stern Army members are saying that no playfield is a match for a punch from Gary.

#4735 4 years ago
Quoted from silen7ce:

It was older stock. Spoke with Chas from Stern today and forwarded some pictures. Have pooling around some of the posts but not all and around the guide of the inside orbit oddly enough... Pretty rough chip from where the newton ball sits and in front of it... Hopefully a quick resolution from Stern. Distributor... all sales final...[quoted image]

Looking for advice. Finally heard back from Stern and they offered me a "blank playfield" which I'm guessing is unpopulated. The way they phrased it was they were asking if I "accepted this as compensation" or something like that.. Should I be pushing to get a populated or partially populated playfield or is that never going to happen?

#4736 4 years ago
Quoted from silen7ce:

Looking for advice. Finally heard back from Stern and they offered me a "blank playfield" which I'm guessing is unpopulated. The way they phrased it was they were asking if I "accepted this as compensation" or something like that.. Should I be pushing to get a populated or partially populated playfield or is that never going to happen?

You're not going to get a populated or even partially populated playfield unless yours is basically a pile of wood chippings.

"Accepted this as compensation" basically means if you accept it then liability for this and any future claims for the same issue would be disclaimed. Pretty standard really, it's essentially a "without prejudice" offer.

I'd say if you've been offered a spare playfield and you're outside the time period to be able to return the pin for a refund (if you actually wanted to do this) then that's likely to be the best you're going to get.

#4737 4 years ago
Quoted from silen7ce:

This seems to fit with what someone said previously about not doing populated playfields anymore.

#4738 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

It’s surreal.. being almost apologetic to the manufacturer/distributor for highlighting a defect on a $10k brand new product.
“I really hope you don’t mind sir, but I have a teensy weensy problem with my premium priced product. It’s probably my fault. I hope you’re not mad. Forget I said anything”.
Bizarro world.

I work in the field of giant scale radio controlled model aircraft, another expensive toy.

Same, exact same customer behavior as I find it here on Pinside- the customers treat the distributors, manufacturers and big names like rockstars, let them get away with anything and glorify ordinary behavior.

Kissing up to these distributors does not make you pinball - famous, people. It makes you act like a fool.

#4739 4 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Not an expert but it looks like it could be a reflection to me. Here's another image:
Seems like there's white reflections all over the place. Also, that white spot isn't there later in the video. Now sure, they could be faking this whole thing and swapping out playfields after every hit or something, but I'm not sure what the point of that would be. They also look down at the playfield right after hitting it and laugh with happiness -- not sure they would do that if they just scuffed up the playfield.
Just my thoughts.[quoted image]

Anyone who does not see the opportunity for falsifying facts is an idiot. Show actor cut use stuntman cut show actor the number of times they cut there could have been a half doz playfields used

#4740 4 years ago

Dimpling on a Stranger Things pro at Stern headquarters:
fAd1haR (resized).pngfAd1haR (resized).png

#4741 4 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

Dimpling on a Stranger Things pro at Stern headquarters:[quoted image]

Did you shoot that with a scatter gun?

#4742 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Anyone who does not see the opportunity for falsifying facts is an idiot. Show actor cut use stuntman cut show actor the number of times they cut there could have been a half doz playfields used

To what end? They're not a big manufacturer nor are they making a machine with a high demand theme in which they are trying to trick customers by doing this.

I'm sure if we messaged Damien he'd do it again with a clamped camera and in a single continuous shot.

edit: i've asked Damien if he can do it again in a single shot

#4743 4 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

Dimpling on a Stranger Things pro at Stern headquarters:
[quoted image]

The new official UV dimple lighting kit makes the dimples disappear!

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#4744 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The new official UV dimple lighting kit makes the dimples disappear!
[quoted image]

Any Word on what the uv does to all the plastic clearcoat etc over time?

#4745 4 years ago

Why the hell would Stern make play-fields that last?
They are disposable items FFS....
If they lasted forever then they wouldn’t sell any new pins. It’s business at the end of the day. Keeps the viagra in GS’s pocket and the wigs on Steve Ritchie’s head
Give them a break guys!
Still haven’t had a response from my pooled to the Max IMDN, email sent circa 9 months ago. I only wanted to buy a replacement playfield. Great CS guys

#4746 4 years ago

"Keeps the viagra in GS’s pocket and the wigs on Steve Ritchie’s head"

God damn you got me with this one. LOL

#4747 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

It’s not actually uv light.

#4748 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Hopefully cure it.

#4749 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What, that big white welt after the love tap with the hammer?
Yes I am seeing it.
I just don't care as this whole thing is a joke. Haggis pinball will never become a thing and neither will thick plastic playfields.

Holy sandy vadges Batman!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/95?hl=durzel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.