IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 185.
#3401 4 years ago

They don't have to care when they have a business model in place that 1. forces OPs to take the game sight unseen, 2. People line up and buy sight unseen willingly accepting the ever increasing prices 3. Continue to rinse repeat even after issues have been discussed.

Most have given them no reason to change course and still buy in as they continue to raise the prices. Until people quit giving them their money nothing will change.

I am more interested in 'what' changed. Is there thicker clear than in the past? Different formulas? Not enough cure time? All the above? It seems that this is the biggest issue people are talking about, and seems like something that isn't a 'someone messed up because it was a friday' issue. This isn't a process issue. This is something that should be resolved BEFORE sending out the games...but as I said, no one has given them a reason to change it.

#3402 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Unfortunately my brand new JP Premium playfield has problems also. And it has the new playfield design with circles around the posts. Build date 10/21/19. It has 2 areas (as of now) with clear/artwork that has chipped away with bare wood now showing. These are both areas where a metal lane guide was pressed against the playfield, not from posts being hit from a ball.
I made phone calls and sent pictures on Dec 5th to both my distributor and to Stern. Stern is “reviewing” my case and is supposed to get back to me.
I have specifically requested a completely populated playfield. They need to do the right thing here. I personally have purchased 8 Stern pins. (7 premiums, 1 pro). I’ve put thousands of dollars in Stern’s bank account. This is the first time I’ve requested an expensive warranty item. If they don’t give me a populated playfield I will NOT be buying another Stern.

I can probably guess those areas (mine were the curve guide to the right of the raptor pit leading to the tower, the guide to the left of the right ramp, and the guide near the 180 halfpipe in the S lane/launch lane)...I loosened all my guides when I bought mine and put fiber washers in, and rebent two of the guides slightly as they were off...my guides were definitely torqued down way too tight and would have probably led to chipping...I stopped the most severe one and recleared it with some water thin superglue the minute I noticed some clear scraping, luckily it was under a guide and looks perfect after the fix..I have almost the same build date as you... It definitely required some early intervention preventative maintenance and is now perfect and chip/prone free.. But I guarantee if my pin went straight to a route without any tweaks... There would have been at least 3 bare wood spots right now

#3403 4 years ago

I am very very happy to report that I just got a phone call from Stern this morning. They are shipping me a populated playfield. This is very good news. And an early Christmas present.

Stern is doing the right thing!

#3404 4 years ago

I am very very happy to report that I just got a phone call from Stern this morning. They are shipping me a populated playfield. This is very good news. And an early Christmas present.

Wish I would get that call.
Congrats.
Good on Stern to make it right.

#3405 4 years ago

That's great news!!!

#3406 4 years ago

Don't get in too big of a hurry...I know people who had their populated playfield swap approved months ago and nothing is happening.

#3407 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Pinball is hard that's for sure but this problem really needs to get fixed bad because I know so many people who wont buy right now. . Hopeful they get a handle on it soon.

I have cash. I have desire. I do not have confidence.

#3408 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

My distributor was going to talk to them yesterday. Haven’t heard anything back.

And you won't. Has been months for mine.

#3409 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Congrats.

Who did you speak with?

#3410 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Who did you speak with?

Chaz is who you will wind up talking to.

#3411 4 years ago

What I find absolutely mind boggling is how so many pinsiders are jumping into stranger things without knowing whether these issues have been solved. Why take a huge chance and risk having the issue most are desperate to avoid?

It does explain why Stern is in no big hurry to deal with their disgruntled customers.

To each his own I guess.

#3412 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Congrats.

Happy that customer was finally taken care of and with the right type of replacement. A Christmas miracle call that deserving others should have received as well.

#3413 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Don't get in too big of a hurry...I know people who had their populated playfield swap approved months ago and nothing is happening.

Like the gb playfields they eventually show up... Just play the guts out of the game until it arrives. Who cares if it takes a bit of time.

#3414 4 years ago

Unfortunately my brand new JP Premium playfield has problems also. And it has the new playfield design with circles around the posts. Build date 10/21/19. It has 2 areas (as of now) with clear/artwork that has chipped away with bare wood now showing. These are both areas where a metal lane guide was pressed against the playfield, not from posts being hit from a ball.
I made phone calls and sent pictures on Dec 5th to both my distributor and to Stern. Stern is “reviewing” my case and is supposed to get back to me.
I have specifically requested a completely populated playfield. They need to do the right thing here. I personally have purchased 8 Stern pins. (7 premiums, 1 pro). I’ve put thousands of dollars in Stern’s bank account. This is the first time I’ve requested an expensive warranty item. If they don’t give me a populated playfield I will NOT be buying another Stern.

Make sure Stern knows you bought 8 machines and *believes* you when you tell them. Can't hurt. Good luck!

OOOPS posted before I saw your great outcome! You deserved it my friend.

-

#3415 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I really want a Stranger Things and have the money.

Quoted from guitarded:

I was hovering around an Iron Maiden and an Elvira for 18 months or so.

Fortunately those titles do nothing for me.

And with the playfield and other reported non resolved quality control issues of late, not buying is somewhat of a no brainer. Even if I had some brains and no willpower, it would still be a predestined pass.

#3416 4 years ago

Sigh!

2B361291-AB06-484E-B15F-BFD6993E40FB (resized).jpeg2B361291-AB06-484E-B15F-BFD6993E40FB (resized).jpeg
#3417 4 years ago

Any Elvira owners seeing issues?

#3418 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Nope, not for me. My clear is noticeably thinner. Have minor dimpling, but no pooling or chipping.

#3419 4 years ago

It’s a lottery.

#3420 4 years ago

My SW comic art playfield clear looks great, no pooling or chipping anywhere and the inserts are a seamless blend. Only “issue” is that after 200 plays it has a lot of dimpling. I think that’s mainly because it’s a really fast game. I even have dimples on the left ramp flap, which is metal!

Waiting for someone to whine about the cheaper metal they must be using today.

#3421 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Are there any Elvira owners you mean.

#3422 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Sigh![quoted image]

Its crazy that Sterns build quality is so poor.....I think their penny pinching is starting to catch up to them.

#3423 4 years ago

In the spirit of "Hell with QC issues, I bought this instead", I pick this up next week.

How many LEs would this have been: I think 4 NIBs.

Oh well, too bad for you Stern, JJP, and anyone else pawning your half-baked crap on us with ever-increasing prices:

#3424 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

In the spirit of "Hell with QC issues, I bought this instead", I pick this up next week.
Oh well, too bad for you Stern, JJP, and anyone else pawning your half-baked crap on us with ever-increasing prices:

Awesome, have fun!!!

#3425 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

That looks nice! What kind of motor is in it?

#3426 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Betcha it's a Shaker motor

#3427 4 years ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

What I find absolutely mind boggling is how so many pinsiders are jumping into stranger things without knowing whether these issues have been solved. Why take a huge chance and risk having the issue most are desperate to avoid?

I’m a bit late to this party, is Stern making the playfields in house currently or still outsourcing that portion of the business. If Stern is not going to make an announcement that the issue has been addressed, how will we know when it’s been addressed? Apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge on this subject...but there are a lot of posts in this thread.

#3428 4 years ago

I had a similar issue with my CPR PF. It was like the had not adhered (not sure if that is a word) to the ink. It would just explode off. I feel like at this stage of the game, any new PF is a crapshoot and if you are buying, you have to budget in to have it re-cleared by a pro.

#3429 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m a bit late to this party, is Stern making the playfields in house currently or still outsourcing that portion of the business. If Stern is not going to make an announcement that the issue has been addressed, how will we know when it’s been addressed? Apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge on this subject...but there are a lot of posts in this thread.

There will be never an announcement that it has been addressed, because that would imply admission of a problem from Stern's side. Not going to happen.

#3430 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

All stern playfields are cut in house and inserts are added. They then send them out for art and clear. I was told they have multiple vendors that do the art and clear.

#3431 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

All stern playfields are cut in house and inserts are added. They then send them out for art and clear. I was told they have multiple vendors that do the art and clear.

The multiple art and clear vendors may be why some Stern playfields are perfect and another has issues. This has now resulted in the playfield quality lottery, a game customers shouldn't have to play at these prices.

#3432 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

And one of these vendors is obviously Micro.

#3433 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Incorrect. Micro has said over and over he has never supplied Stern.

#3434 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The multiple art and clear vendors may be why some Stern playfields are perfect and another has issues. This has now resulted in the playfield quality lottery, a game customers shouldn't have to play at these prices.

I wonder if they can track specific playfields back to specific vendors used for cc. If that's the case they should have a pretty good handle on addressing the issue, assuming the problem is not across the vendors.

#3435 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I don't even think they are acknowledging there's an issue, so why would they announce it is fixed?

#3436 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I don’t think so. I think it’s just a vendor that uses a similar process as Mirco.

#3437 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Agreed
If it flys like a duck, quacks like a duck, smells like a duck, appears to be a duck and tastes like a duck. Why then it must be a duck!

#3438 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Agreed
If it flys like a duck, quacks like a duck, smells like a duck, appears to be a duck and tastes like a duck. Why then it must be a duck!

....you licked your playfield? You have some strange hobbies...

#3439 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

....you licked your playfield? You have some strange hobbies...

See the playfield, feel the playfield, smell the playfield, taste the playfield, BECOME THE PLAYFIELD!

#3440 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Incorrect. Micro has said over and over he has never supplied Stern.

Trying to set the record straight...

Mirco does not make Stern playfields. Mirco makes for his own repro business and JJP.

Stern makes their boards in house now, and installs the inserts, and sands the boards. I am not sure if they perform the seal coat, but I think they send them to an automotive coater in Crystal Lake, IL, who seals them, then they are sent to Rockford Silk Screen Process for digital printing,and then to the same clearcoater. Not sure, if they still use them for playfields too, but Stern once used The Fun Company in New Lisbon, WI. I know they were, maybe still are, making the wood cabinets for Stern, and possibly playfields.

American Pinball once used Mirco for the beginning of Houdini, but switched to Bader in Scales Mound, IL and then they are sent to Signcraft Screenprint in Galena, IL.

Charlie at Spooky once worked for Signcraft. Charlie gained knowledge in digitally printing playfields, etc... and has a JV with Tim Lutz at Lutz Mfg, in Benton, Wi, which is where he gets his playfields.

That is all!

#3441 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's a FFR MKII - build completed in 2005 and about 5K miles on it. Motor is a supercharged 302, 5.0L V8. Next Tuesday never seemed so far away : (!

The shaker motor commented was comedy gold - I LOL'd for reals!

67612383_10219738361318767_2769796380233826304_o (resized).jpg67612383_10219738361318767_2769796380233826304_o (resized).jpg20191123_094344 (resized).jpg20191123_094344 (resized).jpg67590819_10219738353558573_548868997630656512_o (resized).jpg67590819_10219738353558573_548868997630656512_o (resized).jpg

#3442 4 years ago
Quoted from WillSmuz8999:

Mirco does not make Stern playfields. Mirco makes for his own repro business and JJP.
Stern makes their boards in house now, and installs the inserts, and sands the boards. I am not sure if they perform the seal coat, but I think they send them to an automotive coater in Crystal Lake, IL, who seals them, then they are sent to Rockford Silk Screen Process for digital printing,and then to the same clearcoater. Not sure, if they still use them for playfields too, but Stern once used The Fun Company in New Lisbon, WI. I know they were, maybe still are, making the wood cabinets for Stern, and possibly playfields.
American Pinball once used Mirco for the beginning of Houdini, but switched to Bader in Scales Mound, IL and then they are sent to Signcraft Screenprint in Galena, IL.
Charlie at Spooky once worked for Signcraft. Charlie gained knowledge in digitally printing playfields, etc... and has a JV with Tim Lutz at Lutz Mfg, in Benton, Wi, which is where he gets his playfields.
That is all!

Thanks. Good to have someone with actual knowledge chime in vs the folks talking out of their ass.

#3443 4 years ago

Stern makes their boards in house now,

Not sure, if they still use them for playfields too, but Stern once used The Fun Company in New Lisbon, WI. I know they were, maybe still are, making the wood cabinets for Stern, and possibly playfields.

So are Stern making their playfield inhouse or not?

If you go through all of Sterns factory tours there is nowhere in their factory to make playfields. I am not so sure you have your facts correct.

Could you kindly tell us where you got your information from.

#3444 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Yes. Everything but the art and clear.

If you go through all of Sterns factory tours there is nowhere in their factory to make playfields.

Yes there is. It directly adjacent to where all the empty cabinets are lined up. Big white room. There are racks of playfields right outside of it.

Could you kindly tell us where you got your information from.

Stern

#3445 4 years ago

That is all!

https://www.wiscnews.com/juneaucountystartimes/news/local/fun-company-expands-necedah-facility/article_de9f6b2d-b5b4-59ad-99d5-f662696b00f1.html

C23A0573-3978-4D72-9A78-C8AA38E71C82 (resized).pngC23A0573-3978-4D72-9A78-C8AA38E71C82 (resized).png
#3446 4 years ago

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes. Everything but the art and clear.

I am not so sure you have your facts correct. Could you kindly tell us where you got your information from?

Copied from my post in the Pinball Expo 2019 thread:

Quoted from littlecammi:

Stern tour showed Elvira + JP + SW comic art edition all being assembled. Per our tour guide playfields are cut and routed at Stern, sent out for printing and clear coat, then returned to Stern where they are placed in racks and left for weeks to let the clear cure.

#3447 4 years ago

So stern where also using Chicago Gaming (Churchill for play fields and cabinets. IIRC Fun where the guys who had the issues with ghosting.

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2019/11/20/inside-chicago-gaming/

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2016/11/04/churchill-cabinet-company-tour/

You'll see alot of pictures of stern stuff there...

#3448 4 years ago

Pretty sure Stern has and continues to use multiple manufacturers for playfields.

They may use one for the initial run of quick titan around for first set of games.

They use others for the main run.

They have used others for overflow or when the main cant get stuff done on the timeframe.

They have some woodworking in house and are likely doing the majority of cutting and insert placement for main runs.

#3449 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Quoted from EricHadley:

Agreed

You guys actually think that Stern makes their own playfields, then ships them to Germany for art and clear, then gets them shipped back? Think about that for a bit boys.

#3450 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

You guys actually think that Stern makes their own playfields, then ships them to Germany for art and clear, then gets them shipped back? Think about that for a bit boys.

Good call Julian, as much as I don’t think Mirco has much credibility left, it’s not rocket appliances to figure out that doesn’t work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 16.00
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/69?hl=odenonmyside513 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.