IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 185.
#3001 4 years ago

Hello Stern support?
Yes
I have playfield issues on my NIB
"Heavy breath exhale heard" what kind of issues?
The clear coat is pooled around the posts.
How many games have you played?
I dont know maybe 15 thus far?
Does it affect your gameplay?
Well no, but I'm concerned as no other game has this occurring.
Tech raises middle finger and rolls his eyes. I'll go ahead and document your concern. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Uhmm, I guess not?
Great thank you for calling.

Hello Stern support?
Yes
I called in previously here's the case #
OK
Uhmm, the clear is starting to chip around the posts now
Around 40?
Does it affect your game play? (flipping you off)
Well, no but I don't think this is normal or acceptable is it?
Yes, wear and tear is normal.
If it's normal why does none of my other machines not exhibit this?
We consider wear and tear to be normal. I've updated your record. Is there anything else I can help you with (grabbing crotch and fingering the phone).
I guess not
Thanks for calling

Hello Visa support?
Yes how may I help you today?
I need to file a charge back.

#3002 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Hello Visa support?

I'm still confused about this "charge back" solution. Did you purchase the game on Amazon? If not, you must have purchased from a distributor. If so, the distributor is the one feeling the "pain"...no?

#3003 4 years ago
Quoted from Andypc:

How long did you have it before you started the playfield swap?

Purchased in June and arrived quickly, started the playfield swap in September but just put the posts on a few weeks ago...so I'd say about 4 months.

#3004 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'm still confused about this "charge back" solution. Did you purchase the game on Amazon? If not, you must have purchased from a distributor. If so, the distributor is the one feeling the "pain"...no?

If you bought from a distributor with a credit car and file a chargeback, the distributor would take the hit as the credit card company will work the chargeback dispute against the seller (distributor in this case). Then the distributor would have the burden to work with stern/JJP or whoever to get their money back subsequently if you win the chargeback case.

#3005 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The only mods are ColorDMD, LED's/LEDOCD, and Titan rubber. Everything else is "stock" IIRC...I bought the game NIB in 2004.

Your suggesting all of those figures everywhere came from the factory?

#3006 4 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

If you bought from a distributor with a credit car and file a chargeback, the distributor would take the hit as the credit card company will work the chargeback dispute against the seller (distributor in this case). Then the distributor would have the burden to work with stern/JJP or whoever to get their money back subsequently if you win the chargeback case.

As unfortunate as this might be, most distributors (except for level C) would have much more leverage to get the situation resolved and/or make Stern aware of the prevalence of the issue.

#3007 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

As unfortunate as this might be, most distributors (except for level C) would have much more leverage to get the situation resolved and/or make Stern aware of the prevalence of the issue.

If everyone who had an issue filed a chargeback, this nonsense would be taken care of much more quickly.

#3008 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

If everyone who had an issue filed a chargeback, this nonsense would be taken care of much more quickly.

^^^This and this ONLY!!^^^

#3009 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Your suggesting all of those figures everywhere came from the factory?

They did. I have one I bought NIB in 2004 and it came with all those figures. I believe they scaled back either in later runs or in the LE, because they ran out of figures.

#3010 4 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

They did. I have one I bought NIB in 2004 and it came with all those figures. I believe they scaled back either in later runs or in the LE, because they ran out of figures.

Wow. Ya know I’ve certainly seen my fair share of lotr games.. a few of my friends have even owned them but never knew that or have seen it before. They must have made a lot of em!

#3011 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Hello Stern support?
Yes
I have playfield issues on my NIB
"Heavy breath exhale heard" what kind of issues?
The clear coat is pooled around the posts.
I dont know maybe 15 thus far?
Does it affect your gameplay?
Well no, but I'm concerned as no other game has this occurring.
Tech raises middle finger and rolls his eyes. I'll go ahead and document your concern. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Uhmm, I guess not?
Great thank you for calling.
Hello Stern support?
Yes
I called in previously here's the case #
OK
Uhmm, the clear is starting to chip around the posts now
Around 40?
Does it affect your game play? (flipping you off)
Well, no but I don't think this is normal or acceptable is it?
Yes, wear and tear is normal.
If it's normal why does none of my other machines not exhibit this?
We consider wear and tear to be normal. I've updated your record. Is there anything else I can help you with (grabbing crotch and fingering the phone).
I guess not
Thanks for calling
Hello Visa support?

That's some funny shit but I would say that you are spot on!

#3012 4 years ago

My distributor has told me Stern wont do anything about pooling around the posts.

#3013 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

My distributor has told me Stern wont do anything about pooling around the posts.

File a chargeback with your credit card company.

#3014 4 years ago

I hope this gets resolved by spring or I'm buying something other than a Stern Spike 2 game!

#3015 4 years ago

Anybody else who's gotten a Wonka built on 10/30 or newer post your opinion on playfield,please

#3016 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

They wont do anything about it but we the customers can do something about it. Not buy their f*cking shit anymore!

#3017 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Are you going to buy any more games? You are in a small market like us in Australia. If you stop buying games, this will hurt your distro. Your distro should go in and help you out, do their best to sort out a solution for you. That is my opinion.

Our distro told us the same thing, we have pooling on 2 games and we have friends all over the world with plenty of pooling games as well. Looks like Stern will only help out if the playfields start chipping out, and then looks like Stern are extremely selective on who they are helping out.

Thank you to all the Pinsiders posting their resolutions with JJP and Stern. This gives the rest of us an idea on what to expect.

#3018 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Are you going to buy any more games? You are in a small market like us in Australia. If you stop buying games, this will hurt your distro. Your distro should go in and help you out, do their best to sort out a solution for you. That is my opinion.
Our distro told us the same thing, we have pooling on 2 games and we have friends all over the world with plenty of pooling games as well. Looks like Stern will only help out if the playfields start chipping out, and then looks like Stern are extremely selective on who they are helping out.
Thank you to all the Pinsiders posting their resolutions with JJP and Stern. This gives the rest of us an idea on what to expect.

They aren't helping on games that are chipping either unfortunately. I first turned in my ticket on my IMDN chipping and pooling playfield almost 3 months ago. I let 2 months go buy and called my distributor again and they supposedly submitted another ticket again.....still crickets, have not hear one F'ing word.

At this point I'm pissed at Stern and I'm also fed up with my distributor because I feel like they dont give a shit either and in the not too distant future I am going to throw their ass under the bus also on here for everyone to see. I can hurt them more than they are hurting me.

#3019 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

File a chargeback with your credit card company.

My Distros (2 used) have always required a check or wire for the game when ready to ship. Need to know who accepts plastic, as it's the only way I'm buying NIB from either company moving forward...have a MMrRE coming from Rick, but truthfully don't have pf worries on this one.

#3020 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

They aren't helping on games that are chipping either unfortunately. I first turned in my ticket on my IMDN chipped playfield almost 3 months ago. I let 2 months go buy and called my distributor again and they supposedly submitted another ticket again.....still crickets, have not hear one F'ing word.
At this point I'm pissed at Stern and I'm also fed up with my distributor because I feel like they dont give a shit either and in the not too distant future I am going to throw their ass under the bus also on here for everyone to see. I can hurt them more than they are hurting me.

Patience is key. We have 2 games with pooling, no chipping yet. Keep playing your games, and keep emailing Stern yourself.

We have waited a year before to get a result. Do not give up, I think Stern are counting on that. Persistence will pay off. That is our plan.

I think if people start posting all their pooling and chipping, this will hurt Stern. Right now, people have been patiently waiting for a response. I do not think that is too much to ask. Just a response from Stern.

#3021 4 years ago

Patience is key. We have 2 games with pooling, no chipping yet. Keep playing your games, and keep emailing Stern yourself.
We have waited a year before to get a result. Do not give up, I think Stern are counting on that. Persistence will pay off. That is our plan.
I think if people start posting all their pooling and chipping, this will hurt Stern. Right now, people have been patiently waiting for a response. I do not think that is too much to ask. Just a response from Stern.

Agreed...as I only jump in this thread on occasion, can I confirm - Stern HAS sent populated playfields to those who persisted, at a snails crawl. Has JJP done the same to this point (sent at least 1 populated pf to the POTC owners)? sincerely curious. Thanks...

#3022 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

And? Shit product is still being purchased regardless of entity bought from. Enough Distro’s take a hit it goes right to Manufacturers lap. Try ignoring the phone then when Distro’s stop buying.

#3023 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

And? Shit product is still being purchased regardless of entity bought from. Enough Distro’s take a hit it goes right to Manufacturers lap. Try ignoring the phone then when Distro’s stop buying.

This^^^^ these things are getting priced so high, the customer has to have some sort of protection. Hoping a wake up call is the one that they are hearing and answering. If I'm willing to drop $10k on a game, 3% CC add means nothing, if I automatically get double the warranty, and a single call to AMEX is all I have to do to resolve/ return anything.

Think the days of the end user accepting all the risk on an item w such a major defect will be ending in the near future (starting with me).

#3024 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

My Distros (2 used) have always required a check or wire for the game when ready to ship. Need to know who accepts plastic, as it's the only way I'm buying NIB from either company moving forward...have a MMrRE coming from Rick, but truthfully don't have pf worries on this one.

Post up some pics of the MMrRE. Nice choice! we have a standard MMr and love it. I think we will be buying all the upgrades.

I do not think you will have to worry about pooling with CGC.

#3025 4 years ago

Post up some pics of the MMrRE. Nice choice! we have a standard MMr and love it. I think we will be buying all the upgrades.
I do not think you will have to worry about pooling with CGC.

Will do....Very excited for this one!!!

#3026 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Need to know who accepts plastic

Last time I checked classicgamerooms.com still took cc. I like Jason.

#3027 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Last time I checked classicgamerooms.com still took cc. I like Jason.

Thanks!!! Definitely taking this route if another NIB gets on the radar....

#3028 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Thanks!!! Definitely taking this route if another NIB gets on the radar....

Consumer needs to take steps to protect themselves.

I don’t care about the risk Distro’s or manufacturers take with larger CC or PP returns. Boo-frickety-hoo. Poor sellers? Please...

Pinside is filling to the brim with horror stories of issue-apathy from pinmakers. I’m angry and disappointed in them.

Im getting an MMRRE, so confidence is high on QC. Spooky is only other I’d even consider.

#3029 4 years ago

I cannot stress enough if you're going to roll the dice on a NIB from Stern or JJP the ONLY way to get these companies to fix (what they should whole heartedly own and support) is to use a credit card. Any pooling then demand a populated playfield (distributor or Stern/JJP) and an immediate answer or you're filing a charge back. I do speak from experience. These distributors get enough charge backs it'll force Stern/JJP to start doing the right thing (send a populated pf) or they risk going out of business. It'll also force them to fix the problem causing this. For the love of (insert whatever deity here) just don't accept this as the new normal.

#3030 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed...as I only jump in this thread on occasion, can I confirm - Stern HAS sent populated playfields to those who persisted, at a snails crawl. Has JJP done the same to this point (sent at least 1 populated pf to the POTC owners)? sincerely curious. Thanks...

I think we also need to be patient so Stern can start making older playfields without the playfield art going right up to the posts.

No good if you get a IMDN, DP or MUN playfield and it is the same as the one you already have. Same shit will happen. Wait until the playfields have been remade, start demanding stuff then.

I like the CC idea but how long before you can make a charge back? If the game is 2 years old, I am not so sure the CC company will accept the charge back. We buy every game on plastic. Suits my wife as she loves the points.

#3031 4 years ago

I think we also need to be patient so Stern can start making older playfields without the playfield art going right up to the posts.
No good if you get a IMDN, DP or MUN playfield and it is the same as the one you already have. Same shit will happen. Wait until the playfields have been remade, start demanding stuff then.
I like the CC idea but how long before you can make a charge back? If the game is 2 years old, I am not so sure the CC company will accept the charge back.

Got lucky on my MunstersLE...Scratch test, whole OCD in full force...Bullet dodged...

I've never bought a pin w a cc, and feel sort of foolish now. Never again. AMEX platinum offers immediate double factory warranty, and are absolutely a one stop protection path. Not sure about limitations on timeline to dispute, but definitely finding out.

#3032 4 years ago

I do believe Stern will get this right ( when, I have no idea), but I literally haven't seen a JJP post regarding populated play field replacement on a single case. Maybe I missed it.

Love my WOZ ECLE, Eric and the guys at JJP...just don't believe what I'm seeing ( or not seeing to be more accurate)

#3033 4 years ago

Pay with a credit card and ignore distributors who don’t accept credit cards.

Once the distributors and manufacturers begin feeling the pain, things will change.

#3035 4 years ago

I like the CC idea but how long before you can make a charge back? If the game is 2 years old, I am not so sure the CC company will accept the charge back. We buy every game on plastic. Suits my wife as she loves the points.

I dont mind being patient at all. Heck if they told me that it would be a year or longer I wouldnt even care as my situation doesnt require immediate attention, but I just want to hear something besides crickets. It's very disrespectful of them to not even acknowledge a customers issues. I just want to get my defective playfield replaced and unfortunately for Stern the only way I'm going to be happy is with a populated playfield and not a unpopulated one. Some people may think that's unreasonable but so be it. They sold me a shitty product (2 actually), and thats their fault not mine.

#3036 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

distributors who don’t accept credit cards.

There are several legit stern distros that sell via ebay. You not only can pay via cc that way and earn ebay bucks, you also have ebays customer-centric satisfaction guarantee

#3037 4 years ago

What about a disputed charge? I've disputed defective product w Corp platinum for a lot more, and they covered me... I'll call tomorrow for clarification.
If I dispute they didn't send me what I paid for...Think it's a healthy approach

#3038 4 years ago

Found it, but can't copy the link ( on my phone)...Under " extended warranty"...

2 additional years on top of manufacturer's warranty, 10k per incident, 50k per calendar year per cardholder.

If they can't fix it, they have to replace or refund....I'm sure there's conditions, but want to give them this exact scenario and see what they say

#3039 4 years ago

Ice linked the wrong document.

You need to review Amex Purchase Protection.

II. DESCRIPTION OF BENEFITS
What is Covered
The Plan will pay a benefit for an item up to $10,000 for any one Covered Incident and up to $50,000 for all Covered Incidents per Card Member Account during a calendar year for:
1. The lesser of:
a. the cost to repair the item;
b. the cost to replace the item; or
c. reimbursement for the item.
2. A Covered Incident related to Natural Disaster will have a maximum per occurrence limit of $500 for any one Covered Incident.
For Accounts eligible and enrolled in the Membership Rewards Points and/or Pay with Points program(s), an item is eligible for coverage under this Plan if it was purchased through the redemption of Membership Rewards Points and/or Pay with Points. Our benefit payment will not exceed the amount of the Membership Reward Points and/or Pay with Points You redeemed to purchase the item. Benefits will not be paid when redemption of Membership Rewards Points and/or Pay with Points have been transferred to a non-eligible card account or non-Card Members.
Our benefit payment will not include payment of expenses or fees related to shipping and handling, installation, assembly, professional advice, maintenance or other service charges or any product rebates, discounts or money received from lowest price comparison programs that reduced the original cost of the item. Our benefit payment will not exceed the amount charged to Your Account (including applicable sales tax). Repair must be performed by an authorized repair facility or other professional repair facility, as outlined in the manufacturer’s warranty.
Length of Coverage
Purchase Protection provides benefits, for one hundred and twenty (120) days (ninety (90) days for New York Residents) from the date of purchase, if a Covered Incident occurs with respect to the item You purchased and charged to Your Account.
Only a Card Member has a legal and equitable right to any insurance benefit that may be available under this plan.

#3040 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Ice linked the wrong document.
You need to review Amex Purchase Protection.
II. DESCRIPTION OF BENEFITS
What is Covered
The Plan will pay a benefit for an item up to $10,000 for any one Covered Incident and up to $50,000 for all Covered Incidents per Card Member Account during a calendar year for:
1. The lesser of:
a. the cost to repair the item;
b. the cost to replace the item; or
c. reimbursement for the item.
2. A Covered Incident related to Natural Disaster will have a maximum per occurrence limit of $500 for any one Covered Incident.
For Accounts eligible and enrolled in the Membership Rewards Points and/or Pay with Points program(s), an item is eligible for coverage under this Plan if it was purchased through the redemption of Membership Rewards Points and/or Pay with Points. Our benefit payment will not exceed the amount of the Membership Reward Points and/or Pay with Points You redeemed to purchase the item. Benefits will not be paid when redemption of Membership Rewards Points and/or Pay with Points have been transferred to a non-eligible card account or non-Card Members.
Our benefit payment will not include payment of expenses or fees related to shipping and handling, installation, assembly, professional advice, maintenance or other service charges or any product rebates, discounts or money received from lowest price comparison programs that reduced the original cost of the item. Our benefit payment will not exceed the amount charged to Your Account (including applicable sales tax). Repair must be performed by an authorized repair facility or other professional repair facility, as outlined in the manufacturer’s warranty.
Length of Coverage
Purchase Protection provides benefits, for one hundred and twenty (120) days (ninety (90) days for New York Residents) from the date of purchase, if a Covered Incident occurs with respect to the item You purchased and charged to Your Account.
Only a Card Member has a legal and equitable right to any insurance benefit that may be available under this plan.

That's the one!!! AMEX kicks serious ass.. couple that to 2 extra years of warranty....

#3041 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That's the one!!! AMEX kicks serious ass..

The document is much longer, but I couldn’t attach the link.

#3042 4 years ago

Many merchants who accept visa and mc won’t accept American Express as the fees charged to the merchant are much higher.

#3043 4 years ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

Many merchants who accept visa and mc won’t accept American Express as the fees charged to the merchant are much higher.

Then don't buy from them....I buy everything on my Amex...bought a boat earlier this year....in my experience they provide great customer service

#3044 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont mind being patient at all. Heck if they told me that it would be a year or longer I wouldnt even care as my situation doesnt require immediate attention, but I just want to hear something besides crickets. It's very disrespectful of them to not even acknowledge a customers issues. I just want to get my defective playfield replaced and unfortunately for Stern the only way I'm going to be happy is with a populated playfield and not a unpopulated one. Some people may think that's unreasonable but so be it. They sold me a shitty product (2 actually), and thats their fault not mine.

I agree. A response would be nice. Maybe we are not important enough to Stern to even respond to an email? That is how I feel.

#3045 4 years ago

I agree. A response would be nice. Maybe we are not important enough to Stern to even respond to an email? That is how I feel.

Yup, that's all I want is a response and to be treated decent like a customer should be treated. I dont think that's too much to ask out of them honestly.

I'm sure they would like to keep my business probably but they need to put a little effort in to making me a satisfied customer and so far they have done nothing.

#3046 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

There are several legit stern distros that sell via ebay. You not only can pay via cc that way and earn ebay bucks, you also have ebays customer-centric satisfaction guarantee

classicgamerooms.com also sells everything on ebay. And like I said before he takes plastic.

#3047 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont mind being patient at all. Heck if they told me that it would be a year or longer I wouldnt even care as my situation doesnt require immediate attention, but I just want to hear something besides crickets. It's very disrespectful of them to not even acknowledge a customers issues. I just want to get my defective playfield replaced and unfortunately for Stern the only way I'm going to be happy is with a populated playfield and not a unpopulated one.

You've been one of Stern's most vocal supporters and responder to those who criticize them, as well as buying a bunch of their games.

IMO, if they're being selective about who gets taken care of, it's very short sighted of them not to take care of you, and in a timely manner.

#3048 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

You've been one of Stern's most vocal supporters and responder to those who criticize them, as well as buying a bunch of their games.
IMO, if they're being selective about who gets taken care of, it's very short sighted of them not to take care of you, and in a timely manner.

Thanks and I agree with you but on the other hand I think everyone should be taken care of the same whether you buy one game or twenty. They probably dont know who I am between real life and here I guess.

I still love their games and think that they have the potential to just blow away the entire market but they just dont seem to be serious enough about their quality and giving their customers what they want. I have know idea why they cant make a great quality playfield but if they were smart they would make it a priority and put the right people in place to make it happen. Their business would be booming if they did that.

#3049 4 years ago

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/purchase-protection/faq.html

Purchase protection link.

The reason Amex is much easier to deal with because they are the only party involved. Both the issuer and acquirer. Visa and Mastercard are issued by banks.

Give us a report back Mark after you talk to them.

#3050 4 years ago

Stern will never ever acknowledge this issues as how many games have they made in the last 18 months that might have pooling etc?

If they made any kind of statement, precedent would be out there and they might have to replace 100's and 100's of defective playfields.

Of course it isn't right for the consumer.

But, people keep buying the product so they muddle their way through these kinds of issues.

Was only yesterday everyone was saying the same about the defective cabinets, not buying etc, etc.

That has been forgotten already....

If buying NIB, make sure you have a damn good distributor!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/61?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.