IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 185.
#2951 4 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

What have folks who have had success done?

in short >>

-4 plus months of weekly or biweekly emails showing the issues to both distributor and Stern support
-Lots of work to keep on them (I get the impression they are hoping many will just give up over time)
-once our playfield bunching started to chip off in 1/4 to 1/2 inch sections at posts, then it finally seemed to cross the threshold from "acceptable" to "defect" in their eyes. BS in mu opinion but that seemed to be what it took.

We received a supposedly new/ 'fixed' blank playfield that we can swap in at some point.

Honestly, the response is a joke and the most frustrating thing is that it took regular communication from us with basically no return communication in order to keep the case open.

#2952 4 years ago
Quoted from tp:

[quoted image]

Yes that sums it up. Was just in JP owners thread, still people buying premiums. Let them be the next ones. Sit back and be patient or like Who-Dey buy something different if you “need” a new game.

#2953 4 years ago

I’m thinking either MBr or the new and improved MMr In Jan.

#2954 4 years ago

If anyone is considering buying a Wonka ,do so with confidence.
I just got a Wonka SE that was built 10/30 and it’s playfield is perfect!

#2955 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

that is good news!

You are the second person that I have heard this from.

Now the question is... what are they doing for those of us that got defective pfs right out of the box?

#2956 4 years ago

I guess they’re doing the same thing that Stern is doing and just being evasive as possible so it saves them money but all I can tell you is a new one is excellent

#2957 4 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Is there some sort of support ticket process I should use in regards to my Stern playfield to get "the ball rolling"?
What have folks who have had success done?
I've got pooling in a few places on my Iron Maiden Premium, but no chipping as of yet (I typically don't play a lot at home).
I'm worried as I have one quite large pool up front, and I think a washer to cover it might interfere with balls due to the size.
It's also where the artwork is intricate, and thus probably impossible to do a paint touch up if it did chip there.
Advice appreciated
Thanks!
BobC

I’d take good photos of all the pooling and email to Stern Tech Support (P. Powers), and distributor if bought NIB, with a short note requesting resolution to the issue / manufacturing defect. Include that the machine is HUO with the serial #. Also that the heavy pooling indicates delamination that will chip with continued play. Would then call them to discuss a few days later, and continue to follow up regularly and professionally via email.

Have you removed posts and ball guides around the machine to closely inspect for pooling/chipping? If you have heavy pooling one place, I’ll bet you’ll find pooling and possibly some chipping pretty much everywhere when you remove the posts and guides.

#2958 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I guess they’re doing the same thing that Stern is doing and just being evasive as possible so it saves them money but all I can tell you is a new one is excellent

can you share a bunch of photos?

I am contemplating a purchase for myself and would love to see.

#2959 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Why can't they sell it? Let them eat it, it was their screw up.
People are seeing pooling issues out of the box. You can't tell me someone didn't spot it when doing QC. Going even further, mine started chipping in about 50 plays.
Are you telling me Stern doesn't put a few hundred games on a couple of these machines and then run them through QC again? If so, whoever is doing QC over there needs to be fired.

It's not a new revelation that Stern doesn't make QC and support #1. Just saying. I'm not going to get in the way of the pitchforks and torches. Hope it all works out for you guys. I know it sucks. I would say that I am not going to buy a nib game for a while over this but no plans to do so anyways. Too expensive.

#2960 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

can you share a bunch of photos?
I am contemplating a purchase for myself and would love to see.

Will do when I get home from work

#2961 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I’d take good photos of all the pooling and email to Stern Tech Support (P. Powers), and distributor if bought NIB, with a short note requesting resolution to the issue / manufacturing defect. Include that the machine is HUO with the serial #. Also that the heavy pooling indicates delamination that will chip with continued play. Would then call them to discuss a few days later, and continue to follow up regularly and professionally via email.
Have you removed posts and ball guides around the machine to closely inspect for pooling/chipping? If you have heavy pooling one place, I’ll bet you’ll find pooling and possibly some chipping pretty much everywhere when you remove the posts and guides.

Problem is if you start removing some of these sunken posts we now know THAT is when it will most likely chip.

So you'd have to have faith that the new bare wood showing would get Stern moving. If the most they'll do is ship you a blank PF I'm not sure that's worth the trade-off. Depending on how much your time is worth and how long you think you'll keep the machine.

Not being able to move those posts for the life of the machine seems crazy also. Shitty situation indeed.

#2962 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

Bought a Creature repro playfield from Mirco earlier this year. Started a playfield swap a few months ago. A few weeks ago I installed the star posts, then decided to change the post color at the slings. Here's what the playfield looks like when I removed the post. Looks a lot like pooling on these other playfields. The post appears to have sunk down into the clear. My old playfield doesn't look this bad and that's with 84,000+ plays on it. Keep in mind that the new playfield hasn't even been played yet.
[quoted image]

Note, there's no artwork where that depression exists.

#2963 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Problem is if you start removing some of these sunken posts we now know THAT is when it will most likely chip.
So you'd have to have faith that the new bare wood showing would get Stern moving. If the most they'll do is ship you a blank PF I'm not sure that's worth the trade-off. Depending on how much your time is worth and how long you think you'll keep the machine.
Not being able to move those posts for the life of the machine seems crazy also. Shitty situation indeed.

I can only talk from my personal experience removing about 50 posts with varying degrees of pooling and the removal process didn't cause any to chip. If there is significant pooling, there is a good chance that movement of the post or guide from ongoing ball impacts will eventually cause chipping. Once the art is delaminated from the wood it's just a "bubble waiting to be popped."

#2964 4 years ago

In case you missed it, the Germans explain the problem:

https://captiongenerator.com/1498452/Hitler-Buys-a-Stern-Jurassic-Park

#2965 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I can only talk from my personal experience removing about 50 posts with varying degrees of pooling and the removal process didn't cause any to chip. If there is significant pooling, there is a good chance that movement of the post or guide from ongoing ball impacts will eventually cause chipping. Once the art is delaminated from the wood it's just a "bubble waiting to be popped."

Yeah another guy (actually local to me) has had the same experience so that's good to know. Some people did have problems when they removed a sunken post but you two have shown it's not forgone conclusion.

Happy to hear it.

#2966 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

Bought a Creature repro playfield from Mirco earlier this year. Started a playfield swap a few months ago. A few weeks ago I installed the star posts, then decided to change the post color at the slings. Here's what the playfield looks like when I removed the post. Looks a lot like pooling on these other playfields. The post appears to have sunk down into the clear. My old playfield doesn't look this bad and that's with 84,000+ plays on it. Keep in mind that the new playfield hasn't even been played yet.
[quoted image]

How long did you have it before you started the playfield swap?

#2967 4 years ago

Just left the nashville show.

Played a JP premium that is a newer run. The clear coat was so thin the playfield art impressions were showing through it. Did not have a chance to touch it but guarantee you can feel it with your fingers.

#2968 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

For now. Give it time. My 9 months old potc just started showing the pooling around certain posts.

Why would you buy new?

#2969 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Played a JP premium that is a newer run. The clear coat was so thin the playfield art impressions were showing through it. Did not have a chance to touch it but guarantee you can feel it with your fingers.

They better get a handle on this fast or they're done for.

#2970 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

For now. Give it time. My 9 months old potc just started showing the pooling around certain posts.
Why would you buy new?

I don’t know anything about your older playfield,but the ones that are on the line now are good!

#2971 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I don’t know anything about your older playfield,but the ones that are on the line now are good!

Are you going to buy them a populated playfield if they turn out to be bad?

#2972 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Based on what?

#2973 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Are you going to buy them a populated playfield if they turn out to be bad?

What the fuck are you talking about?

#2974 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

You don’t know this for sure so why do you keep saying this. Can’t tell if everything is right with the clear until these new machines get a bunch of plays on them and stand up over time.

#2975 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

You don’t know this for sure so why do you keep saying this. Can’t tell if everything is right with the clear until these new machines get a bunch of plays on them and stand up over time.

Alright,I forgot this was Pinside maybe I was being too positive?
I’m just saying compared to the SE I had and sold to a local guy who didn’t give a shit about the imperfections.The playfield has a totally level appearance around post and such you can tell it’s good because it looks like my first JJP Dialed In

#2976 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

IDK man, just saw a brand new JP premium off the line and the clear coat is razor thin. So thin the playfield art was still raised. You could see all the grooves and indentations. Everybody that played it said something.

#2977 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

IDK man, just saw a brand new JP premium off the line and the clear coat is razor thin. So thin the playfield art was still raised. You could see all the grooves and indentations. Everybody that played it said something.

I’m just commenting on my WonkaSE!

#2978 4 years ago

But you said “buy with confidence” from your sample size of one. Before you’ve got any significant number of plays. I just personally wouldn’t give buying advice based off that. People won’t know this is solved for months. If you absolutely can’t wait and don’t mind imperfections, buy with confidence. Otherwise, buy used. And play numbers have almost flipped on their head in terms of pricing. I wouldn’t buy anything with less than 300 plays!

#2979 4 years ago

Not to mention the stock some distributors might have could easily still be from the defect era.

#2980 4 years ago

No problems at all with my ACNC playfield. The game is fantastic and super fun!

#2981 4 years ago

I’m going to Kaneda my ass off this forum and go play my brand new just manufactured Wonka Se!

#2982 4 years ago

Even if they do fix the issue, I would wait and see how they take care of customers with earlier games with issues before purchasing.

#2983 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

No problems at all with my ACNC playfield. The game is fantastic and super fun!

Probably my next game. Love it

#2984 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I’m going to Kaneda my ass off this forum and go play my brand new just manufactured Wonka Se!

Good idea.

#2985 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Yup same thickness as WMS late 90’s games. I’ve got Stern Elvira and Scared Stiff next to each other looks the same as far as clear is concerned. Thicker glass like clear does not mean better.

#2986 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Stern apparently corrected this issue on the LE's & Premium's...

Not all the LEs.

#2987 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Probably my next game. Love it

Its not “razer thin” clear or anything either. Hope you enjoy it. Its a good one.

I look forward to visiting a location playing JP with a few drinks but ya’ll need to quit buying there shit for the home for now I think. Unless you have the connections...
How’s that razor thin gonna work out!?

#2988 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Thicker glass like clear does not mean better.

Lol I don’t know. The late, great Stuart Scott always told me “if some is good, more is better!”

#2989 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I've seen 2 new Wonkas at my distro. Both were perfect. Also one YBR WOZ that was perfect, other then it arrived with Wonka pinblades in it!

#2990 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

My LE is like that and it still had problems.

#2991 4 years ago

The thickness of the clearcoat isnt the issue. The clearcoat not hardening properly seems to be the issue. I honestly dont think they have a clue what the hell is going on. That's why I'm staying away from NIB until they get this shit figured out. They should have never broke their partnership with CGC. CGC I guarantee you is laughing their asses of at Stern right now and rightfully so.

#2992 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

I've seen 2 new Wonkas at my distro. Both were perfect. Also one YBR WOZ that was perfect, other then it arrived with Wonka pinblades in it!

Sample size of three now

#2993 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Sample size of three now

I suspect you’re just being witty and I shouldn’t take the bait. But you must realize my jjpotc probably looked just the same as your WonkaCE on the showroom floor. Now it has pooling. Months later. So you have a sample size of three with a total of a few plays between them. What can that really tell people about other pins for sale right now?

Look, I love JJP and want the best for them. And I really hope your machine remains flawless. I really do. I just think you’re misleading people with the “buy with confidence” thing. Nobody should have confidence at this point. Either in the product or the manufacturer.

#2994 4 years ago

So are there any Pirates owners who got a new playfield already?

#2995 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

So is this just the new normal? Pooled and chipping clear around posts on playfields, and playfield clearcoat that is so soft that they will wear quickly and can be dimpled with a fingernail? JJP has had this happening extensively on POTC and now Wonka, and Stern had this happen on GOTG, beatles, batman, and most recently now Jurassic Park 2. (The pooling matters because eventually that clear will start to chip or wear prematurely) People have had the chipping happen in the first 100 games. These are also not in the minority, it seems that the majority of pins of these titles have these issues. Now some pins of these titles are absent of this issue, but it appears a majority of the pins of each of these titles seems to be affected based upon reading through the threads for these pins. Pretty wide spread issue.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Wow!

#2996 4 years ago

Great!!

#2997 4 years ago

I think some people here are angrier than that.

#2998 4 years ago

While changing out the sling rubber on my LOTR I was reminded of this thread (wrt post putting pressure on the PF clear).

Check out how nicely the sling posts are engineered. Recessed, metal post guide, no art. Solid/perfect after 15 years and ~15k plays.

IMG_0362 (resized).jpegIMG_0362 (resized).jpeg
#2999 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

While changing out the sling rubber on my LOTR I was reminded of this thread (wrt post putting pressure on the PF clear).
Check out how nicely the sling posts are engineered. Recessed, metal post guide, no art. Solid/perfect after 15 years and ~15k plays.[quoted image]

Looks good,judging by the small amount we see of the playfield I would say you put a few mods on?

#3000 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Looks good,judging by the small amount we see of the playfield I would say you put a few mods on?

The only mods are ColorDMD, LED's/LEDOCD, and Titan rubber. Everything else is "stock" IIRC...I bought the game NIB in 2004.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 10.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oakhurst, CA
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/60 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.