IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 185.
#2751 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

A buddy of mine just took delivery of a JP2LE and put it on location. Having seen/played the game the clearcoat looks perfect (no pooling), the art has been removed from around the posts as others have noted on the LE playfields as well.
Going simply from my personal opinion I would also say that the clearcoat is a lot thinner than what Stern was producing prior to this. I don't really have an opinion on whether thinner CC is good or bad at this point.

It does appear thin. Under the right lighting, you can see on mine the difference in height of the different colors of the graphics printed on it. The clear is not thick enough to fill in that height difference.

#2752 4 years ago

Still waiting to hear from Stern through my distributor what will be done with my JP pro that has pooling and tearing right out of the box. Been a little over 45 days. Still optimistic it will be taken care of.
I should note I passed on Elvira because of the issue.

#2753 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I've heard crickets as well. Not even an email to tell me I've been denied service...

I would follow up once every week or two.

#2754 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

It does appear thin. Under the right lighting, you can see on mine the difference in height of the different colors of the graphics printed on it. The clear is not thick enough to fill in that height difference.

Yep. So long-term there will be more friction due to the unevenness and more wear. But by then it will likely be years later and won’t be Stern’s problem.

Who knew making playfields was so hard?

I’m hoping if nothing else maybe Deeproot can bring a new approach to PF manufacturing to the table that might solve some of the inherent issues with modern printed on wood and CCed playfields.

#2755 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

None of the above. I like games that play fast and are challenging.
I basically just don't care for new games with dinosaur themes.
Whether it is a dinosaur movie, a dinosaur rock band, or a dinosaur TV show or host, the only time of day I'm going to give it is maybe one or two balls played to see how it shoots. And then move on and not look back. Some say theme doesn't matter, but these kind are enough to make any game a hard pass for me.

Since I don't own any machines, that's a foreign concept to me, I definitely could understand considering theme, if it is a machine you gotta live around every day.

Playing on location only, theme has always meant not much to me. Love me some Bram Stoker's Dracula. Love Never Dies!

#2756 4 years ago

double post, missed the mist ball

#2757 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Going simply from my personal opinion I would also say that the clearcoat is a lot thinner than what Stern was producing prior to this. I don't really have an opinion on whether thinner CC is good or bad at this point.

From my observation and feel during the Stern Expo tour and when a game was being worked on in the Marco room the Elvira playfields seem to have a different look than a JP I saw a month ago. My though was that it was indeed thinner.

I’m going to do a thorough exam of my game when my Elvira arrives in a week or so. I don’t know if a thinner coat will be an issue from a protection point of view but I’m likely putting a playfield protector on to prevent physical damage though that won’t help if the clear is bad.

#2758 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I should note I passed on Elvira because of the issue.

Hope you made it very clear to your distributor that a sale was lost/delayed because of the clear issue.

#2759 4 years ago

Buddy got a new JP...2 bad coil stops and an insert sunk in about 1/16", which effects gameplay. Hopefully Stern takes care of his PF for him.

20191027_185742 (resized).jpg20191027_185742 (resized).jpg
#2760 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Buddy got a new JP...2 bad coil stops and an insert sunk in about 1/16", which effects gameplay. Hopefully Stern takes care of his PF for him.[quoted image]

QC guy at Stern is banging through the issues I see. He must’ve been busy checking the wall of microwave ovens at the time.

#2761 4 years ago

I assume no one is checking the playfields, how could you miss that?? Nice QC Stern, maybe a little more time looking over things and you would save huge money in the long run with replacing crap! Just convinces me that holding of on the last few sterns was the right decision.

#2762 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Buddy got a new JP...2 bad coil stops and an insert sunk in about 1/16", which effects gameplay. Hopefully Stern takes care of his PF for him.[quoted image]

Wow, that is f’ing awful.

#2763 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

That playfield should have never left the factory. Stern will take care of him but it shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

#2764 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

That playfield should have never left the factory. Stern will take care of him but it shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

Well *maybe* it sank during shipping. Sterns' cruddy coils stops have been utter garbage for years now though.

#2765 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Yup, me to, was going to buy a deadpool, but its looking like I'm done with NIB sterns.

After 13 plays on my DP, NOB. It's the same in 3 other areas, and I discovered my rail the right of the katana lock insert is digging into the clear just like all of the others Ive seen. Loosening it doesnt seem to fix the issue so I'll lay some Mylar under it.
20191027_210633 (resized).jpg20191027_210633 (resized).jpg20191027_210941 (resized).jpg20191027_210941 (resized).jpg

20191027_213255 (resized).jpg20191027_213255 (resized).jpg
#2766 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

After 13 plays on my DP, NOB. It's the same in 3 other areas, and I discovered my rail the right of the katana lock insert is digging into the clear just like all of the others Ive seen. Loosening it doesnt seem to fix the issue so I'll lay some Mylar under it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I removed the katana and part of the wireform and placed a washer on the two screws that go thru the playfield for the ball guide. This raised it up enough to keep it off the playfield. I did this two days after I got it (NIB). I noticed it was starting to wear quickly so did it as soon as I could.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2767 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

how the fuck does that even get passed the QC? zero quality control for item that cost thousands, fucking joke.

#2768 4 years ago

My Wonka CE ships in a week or so (I’m in UK)

JJP have assured distributor that the clear issue has been resolved.

If I get a £12,500 game ($16,000) with clear issues I will be more than pissed!

Hoping they have sorted this out for real!

#2769 4 years ago

Rooting for everyone but Stern and JJP right now. Hope the smaller companies steal a whole bunch of sales from Stern and JJP. That’s what they deserve for putting out subpar quality machines.

#2770 4 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

how the fuck does that even get passed the QC? zero quality control for item that cost thousands, fucking joke.

I understand how they could miss one sunken insert out of dozens per game, in hundreds of games, but it's how they handle the mistake that matters.

What I DON'T understand is how they can continue to ship defective coil stops. How many of those have gone out the door in the last year, thousands? Pinball Life sells a perfect replacement for five bucks; why can't Stern get quality parts?

#2771 4 years ago

Why spend $3 on a coil stop when you can spend $0.50? That adds up you know!

#2772 4 years ago

Prospective NIB virgin here and I'm steering way clear until these negligent quality issues are resolved.

#2773 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I understand how they could miss one sunken insert out of dozens per game, in hundreds of games, but it's how they handle the mistake that matters.
What I DON'T understand is how they can continue to ship defective coil stops. How many of those have gone out the door in the last year, thousands? Pinball Life sells a perfect replacement for five bucks; why can't Stern get quality parts?

Reminds me of no matter how much money you spend on a bicycle, you will have to ditch the crappy tubes for something thicker and longer lasting. At least here in AZ with the bullheads ya do

#2774 4 years ago

So is anyone hearing from Stern? How many with defective play fields are constantly emailing, or calling Stern?

#2775 4 years ago

My JP Premium with a build date of 10/22. Each of the 4 up posts had varying degrees of defects. All are rough. Left in lane has a chip in the clear and missing a bit of paint. The issues have been reported to Stern. Not happy with this.

20191029_152931 (resized).jpg20191029_152931 (resized).jpg20191029_152939 (resized).jpg20191029_152939 (resized).jpg20191029_152950 (resized).jpg20191029_152950 (resized).jpg20191029_153008 (resized).jpg20191029_153008 (resized).jpg
#2776 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Prospective NIB virgin here and I'm steering way clear until these negligent quality issues are resolved.

Wait a year, brother.

#2777 4 years ago
Quoted from Tahitiansea:

I removed the katana and part of the wireform and placed a washer on the two screws that go thru the playfield for the ball guide. This raised it up enough to keep it off the playfield. I did this two days after I got it (NIB). I noticed it was starting to wear quickly so did it as soon as I could.[quoted image][quoted image]

Good idea! The DP in my local distributor's showroom had the same thing going on. Could see it digging in and scratching the clear. And it had less than 100 plays on it.

#2778 4 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

My JP Premium with a build date of 10/22. Each of the 4 up posts had varying degrees of defects. All are rough. Left in lane has a chip in the clear and missing a bit of paint. The issues have been reported to Stern. Not happy with this.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That sucks, when did you make the purchase??

#2779 4 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

My JP Premium with a build date of 10/22. Each of the 4 up posts had varying degrees of defects. All are rough. Left in lane has a chip in the clear and missing a bit of paint. The issues have been reported to Stern. Not happy with this.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

They're going to send you a "kit" which will have some fine sandpaper and some lacquer in nail polish jar. Doubt if that will rise to the somewhat rare populated PF swap.

Push for a blank PF. At least that will add some value and take the sting out of it. Sell it later if you never get around to swapping it.

#2780 4 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

Just demand a return or exchange from your distributor. That is complete horseshit.

#2781 4 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

And you still keep buying nib. Sigh.

#2782 4 years ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

Holy shit, and this is with the "new" art with the gaps. So that didn't solve the problem. Yikes.

#2783 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Holy shit, and this is with the "new" art with the gaps. So that didn't solve the problem. Yikes.

Yes, it's a problem, but a different problem than the pooling/chipping that 95% of this thread has been about. This was human error/carelessness during the assembly by putting gouges into the playfield and NOT a clearcoat/ink adhesion issue causing pooling.

Apples and oranges.....

#2784 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Yes, it's a problem, but a different problem than the pooling/chipping that 95% of this thread has been about. This was human error/carelessness during the assembly by putting gouges into the playfield and NOT a clearcoat/ink adhesion issue causing pooling.
Apples and oranges.....

It looks like a dull drill bit to me chipped the holes during the cut-out process. If that's the case, it's a shame it wasn't caught before printing and assembly. Or maybe it was caught, but was within acceptable levels. Hard to say. Either way, I hope ercvacation get's it resolved to a point he's happy with. And even if not, other than the one larger chip, I think the rest could be repaired very well with sandpaper and clear (not that he should have to do that with a new pin, but in a worst case scenario...).

#2785 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Apples and oranges.....

I see. Whatever it is, as a customer I would not be happy with that. So there was a failure somewhere.

#2786 4 years ago

Take away all the hype that Stern creates and you are left with machines of a very low quality compared to pins of the last 30 years. I hope they lose a lot of customers to the companies that are making better quality pins. Maybe then Stern will make games like LOTR again. I honestly think the games of the last few years have been junk quality wise.

#2787 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Take away all the hype that Stern creates and you are left with machines of a very low quality compared to pins of the last 30 years. I hope they lose a lot of customers to the companies that are making better quality pins. Maybe then Stern will make games like LOTR again. I honestly think the games of the last few years have been junk quality wise.

My exact thoughts. Shame, but people keep buying because materialism drives them.

#2788 4 years ago

Maybe-just maybe people will start to realize that most of what Stern puts out is overpriced, consumer-grade toys that are priced at commercial-duty machine prices.

#2789 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

My exact thoughts. Shame, but people keep buying because materialism drives them.

I'm no fan of Stern's pricing strategy or quality but don't get your comment. Maybe they buy because the fun and joy they get from the hobby outweighs the negatives in their opinion. Personally, I'm on the sidelines until Stern and JJP prove the playfield issues are resolved, but don't fault anyone that still buys knowing the risks. Wish we had more choices for a quality and good value pinball, but right now that only leaves 1 new (not remake) game a year from Spooky.

#2790 4 years ago

I want two Stern pins but I let my distributor know I am out until I feel I will get a quality pin out of box. Hopefully they will put pressure on Stern!

#2791 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Quality wise, yeah they aren't the best.

But the reason they sell, is that they are so dam fun to play.

Some of the best games of all time.

But, I do worry what is going to break next!

#2792 4 years ago

I’m enjoying my Elvira and the Playfield looks perfect so far with almost 800 games on it

#2793 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I’m enjoying my Elvira and the Playfield looks perfect so far with almost 800 games on it

800 plays? Didn't you just get the game a few days ago?

#2794 4 years ago

(to follow)

#2795 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

u need a life...800 games on a new game....I don't have 800 game plays on my entire collection

#2796 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

800 plays? Didn't you just get the game a few days ago?

Yes. I’m a beast

#2797 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Yup, same thickness as late 90's WMS games. This appears to have changed with the JPLE/Prem and Elivira runs.
I have Stern Elvira HoH and Scared Stiff next to each other. Looks the same thickness. Now we will be back to customers complaining about planking and clear sucking into the porous wood like the Stern RBION and Monopoly days. Nobody is ever happy

#2798 4 years ago
Quoted from 1967Firebird:

I want two Stern pins but I let my distributor know I am out until I feel I will get a quality pin out of box. Hopefully they will put pressure on Stern!

The clear issue has been addressed.

#2799 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

That's a little harsh. I've been happy with the last few I have here. The cabinets are rock solid now, thicker and better quality as well as the added leg brackets and also now added angle metal brackets on the top inside corners under the lockbar. I've had nothing break on Deadpool, Maiden, Star Wars, Elvira or BKSoR.
Actually, the only Node board I've had go out was on Ghostbusters and that was early on first owning it within 90 days.

#2800 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

The clear issue has been addressed.

Has old stock been returned to Stern, or is it a crap shoot with your distro?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods
Other
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
$ 39.00
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/56?hl=ozpinsmith and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.