IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 185.
#2701 4 years ago

How are people supposed to trust that the game they buy is going to be sorted if all they’ve got to go on is a vague comment that the problem is fixed?

It sounds to me like inducing more people into buying pins that might turn out to be faulty, with each individual customer having to get their issues resolved individually, like how it is now.

Acknowledging that a problem exists and then refusing to elaborate is worse than not acknowledging it, in my opinion. I struggle to conceive of what competitive disadvantage it would put either company in to divulge the basic process change or whatever that led to fixing the problem. They’re not splitting the atom here.

#2702 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

How are people supposed to trust that the game they buy is going to be sorted if all they’ve got to go on is a vague comment that the problem is fixed?
It sounds to me like inducing more people into buying pins that might turn out to be faulty, with each individual customer having to get their issues resolved individually, like how it is now.
Acknowledging that a problem exists and then refusing to elaborate is worse than not acknowledging it, in my opinion. I struggle to conceive of what competitive disadvantage it would put either company in to divulge the basic process change or whatever that led to fixing the problem. They’re not splitting the atom here.

I encourage you all to stop buying them, so demand and prices go down.. and I can buy more..

#2703 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

You’re 100% correct. I’m just not comfortable with the manner in which many conduct themselves.

But this is pinball Mike

Coin pushers and the like

Still, I’m freaking loving these new games from Stern

Jack and JJP, still waiting on my pins paid for

#2704 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

If you are not comfortable do not buy NIB. There are plenty of people on here that have asked a distributer direct what will happen if they buy a game and it starts pooling? If the response does not suit, they have not purchased. Best way.

#2705 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

But this is pinball Mike
Coin pushers and the like
Still, I’m freaking loving these new games from Stern
Jack and JJP, still waiting on my pins paid for

Ice,

You’re right. JP is a terrific game and I sometimes regret canceling my LE, but I’m something of an anal sob when it comes to the condition of my collection.

I probably wouldn’t have done too well in the Wild West either.

#2706 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

If you are not comfortable do not buy NIB. There are plenty of people on here that have asked a distributer direct what will happen if they buy a game and it starts pooling? If the response does not suit, they have not purchased. Best way.

Of course, as with any purchasing decision everyone has to make their own peace with it. My point was more in general terms, that customers shouldn't be being put in the position of having to gamble on this stuff anyway. It is not legitimate to essentially say "well you pays your money you takes your chance!" to everyone who is interested in buying.

#2707 4 years ago

So Stern just let me know they will replace the playfield on my Met with some hairline clearcoat cracks around an outlane post. They gave me a choice between a populated playfield swap and an unpopulated playfield. I opted for the latter to avoid the hassle of the swap (undoing/redoing mods, playfield protection, etc.) and because the damage is currently not too bad and seems to have stabilized.

I am satisfied with this outcome. Stern has done right by me (assuming I actually get the new playfield soon!) and hope others with similar issues get taken care of. This is the second NIB from Stern I have purchased, and they also swapped my ghosting GB playfield. These clearcoat issues are definitely concerning, but I do feel like--at least in my case--Stern is standing behind the product. Once it seems like the vast majority of playfields going out are problem-free, I won't hesitate to buy another Stern.

#2708 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

So Stern just let me know they will replace the playfield on my Met with some hairline clearcoat cracks around an outlane post. They gave me a choice between a populated playfield swap and an unpopulated playfield. I opted for the latter to avoid the hassle of the swap (undoing/redoing mods, playfield protection, etc.) and because the damage is currently not too bad and seems to have stabilized.
I am satisfied with this outcome. Stern has done right by me (assuming I actually get the new playfield soon!) and hope others with similar issues get taken care of. This is the second NIB from Stern I have purchased, and they also swapped my ghosting GB playfield. These clearcoat issues are definitely concerning, but I do feel like--at least in my case--Stern is standing behind the product. Once it seems like the vast majority of playfields going out are problem-free, I won't hesitate to buy another Stern.

Good news I'm on the fence about a new JP and I feel like I change my mind about 2-3 times an hour... lol.

#2709 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Glad to hear it. Stern offered to swap mine out as well.

#2710 4 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

Good news I'm on the fence about a new JP and I feel like I change my mind about 2-3 times an hour... lol.

It's the best game, all around, that I've ever played.

#2711 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

It's the best game, all around, that I've ever played.

They offered you a swap on your JP? If so that makes me feel even better about pulling the trigger.

#2712 4 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

They offered you a swap on your JP? If so that makes me feel even better about pulling the trigger.

Yes. They are sending a fully populated PF to my local distributer, who will bring it over and do the swap for me. No down time.

#2713 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

This was on a Metallica? Do you have any pics you could share?

#2714 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

This was on a Metallica? Do you have any pics you could share?

Sure.

719F6E28-3402-43A0-9A13-22627B2E391D (resized).jpeg719F6E28-3402-43A0-9A13-22627B2E391D (resized).jpeg
#2715 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Of course, as with any purchasing decision everyone has to make their own peace with it. My point was more in general terms, that customers shouldn't be being put in the position of having to gamble on this stuff anyway. It is not legitimate to essentially say "well you pays your money you takes your chance!" to everyone who is interested in buying.

I do not think any of the manufacturers purposely set out to make "pooling playfields". I also think the manufacturers do not know how to handle the situation as they do not have enough staff and have been inundated with complaints. Right now, it is easier to reject most warranty claims. Do you own any games that have pooling or chipping? We do.

#2716 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Sure.[quoted image]

Thanks buddy, really sorry to see this but glad your getting sorted.
I have a fair bit of pooling and small hairlines near a ramp post on my IMDN but not as bad as yours.

#2717 4 years ago

I spoke to someone at Stern about during the tour privately because there was no point raising it at the seminars. The reply I got. They know about it, they are seriously pissed off about it, they believe they have fixed it. They are watching closely.

Neil

#2718 4 years ago

Hopefully they will make it right for the others (myself included) who have sent in pictures of blistering and cracking.

#2719 4 years ago

I’m thrilled that some of you with bad Stern playfields are getting populated playfields or true offers to fix from Stern. Impressed.

#2720 4 years ago
Quoted from wlf_:

We're all free to like and dislike whatever games we want, I've not noticed really anyone else in the dislike camp on JP3. Are you a JJP fan? I suppose I could see someone who gravitated to a more slow and steady old timer game like WOZ not caring as much for the way Jurassic Park plays

None of the above. I like games that play fast and are challenging.

I basically just don't care for new games with dinosaur themes.

Whether it is a dinosaur movie, a dinosaur rock band, or a dinosaur TV show or host, the only time of day I'm going to give it is maybe one or two balls played to see how it shoots. And then move on and not look back. Some say theme doesn't matter, but these kind are enough to make any game a hard pass for me.

#2721 4 years ago

So glad I'm able to enjoy pinball for its intrinsic merits, not just which celebrity they slap on the lunchbox.

#2722 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

So glad I'm able to enjoy pinball for its intrinsic merits, not just which celebrity they slap on the lunchbox.

Here's a relic of a lunchbox from 1992. Almost 30 years old now. I know, around here that probably makes it super modern.

But looks like the the playfield is still holding up fairly well.
download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#2723 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Here's a relic of a lunchbox from 1992. Almost 30 years old now. I know, around here that probably makes it super modern.
But looks like the the playfield is still holding up fairly well.
[quoted image]

The lunchbox has better art than the new JP.

#2724 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

The lunchbox has better art than the new JP.

They are counting on people remembering themes from their youth. Not if today's representations are as good as.

For those with good enough memories, that is all they really need. Not some pricey monument to keep on reminding them day after day until they are sick of the whole darn thing.

#2725 4 years ago
Quoted from JWP72:

Not sure. I submitted through my distributor. I just want Stern to know about it more than anything so they can fix it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/5#post-5165915
I'm posting my pictures because this is literally the first pinball machine I've ever bought. And I shelled out $10,800 CAD for it. $8100 USD. I bought NIB because I thought "Hey it's new, there should/may only be a few mechanical issues. I can deal with that." But this is something I have no control over and I'm now watching the playfield creep up on a post I just moved, meaning the problem is currently on-going and getting worse. That doesn't seem right to me. Now I'm not here with my pitchfork like some people. I'm here to show what's going on and hopefully be part of the solution to the problem instead of whining about it. And I would like other people that are considering spending that kind of money to know that this is the quality of product you're getting.

UPDATE: Stern is sending me a brand new unpopulated playfield

#2726 4 years ago
Quoted from JWP72:

Will you charge them for the PF swap later down the track?

#2727 4 years ago

Havent heard a thing about my playfield issues, dont be so sure stern will take care of you..

#2728 4 years ago
Quoted from JWP72:

why wouldn't u get a fully loaded play field? sounds like u had serious issues so why settle for an unpopulated play field?

#2729 4 years ago

So I thought this was pretty cool of Stern...

They already said they'd send my distro a populated PF because of the problems I had. One of those problems involved a missing part.

The new PF was expected to take a few weeks. So they sent me the replacement part in advance so I could enjoy the game the correct way while I waited. They didn't have to do that, and I didn't even ask for that, but they did it anyway.

#2730 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

So I thought this was pretty cool of Stern...
They already said they'd send my distro a populated PF because of the problems I had. One of those problems involved a missing part.
The new PF was expected to take a few weeks. So they sent me the replacement part in advance so I could enjoy the game the correct way while I waited. They didn't have to do that, and I didn't even ask for that, but they did it anyway.

That is good to know, what was wrong with the PF exactly?

#2731 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Havent heard a thing about my playfield issues, dont be so sure stern will take care of you..

I've heard crickets as well. Not even an email to tell me I've been denied service...

#2732 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I've heard crickets as well. Not even an email to tell me I've been denied service...

Same here, been 2 months
I also want to buy a JP and plan to buy many more games down the road but if they dont even have the courtesy to get back to me, a guy that has already bought seven NIB games from them then I will never buy NIB again.

#2733 4 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

That is good to know, what was wrong with the PF exactly?

Missing parts, a peeled paint (probably from bad apron install), wrong color insert, some pooling wherever the side walls touched the PF (3 spots that I can see), and some other nit-picky stuff. Thankfully mine appears to be an anomaly.

#2734 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Missing parts, a peeled paint (probably from bad apron install), wrong color insert, some pooling wherever the side walls touched the PF (3 spots that I can see), and some other nit-picky stuff. Thankfully mine appears to be an anomaly.

If you mean complete dumpster fire, you are correct!

#2735 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Same here, been 2 months
I also want to buy a JP and plan to buy many more games down the road but if they dont even have the courtesy to get back to me, a guy that has already bought seven NIB games from them then I will never buy NIB again.

Ditto. Guessing there’s a lot to go through. It would be insane to not take care of repeat buyers, I’m still confident they’ll take care of me eventually. I’m happy to wait as long as it takes to get a new PF, but do wish they would hurry up and at least tell me yay or nay so I can just buy JP already!

#2736 4 years ago

Ok so I tested the hair dryer method on one sling post on my Wonka and it worked pretty well actually. You could see a line where the clear coat had bunched up but it went smooth again. Big improvement. This gives me hope all my bunched posts on my POTC can be saved before they chip. So far I have one chip on the playfield I can’t hide. I’m thinking of using the hair dryer and some neoprene washers. Once the bunched up clearcoat is smoothed much less likely to chip. I am very curious how many other people have tried that method and how successful it has been. Please post your results.

#2737 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Ok so I tested the hair dryer method on one sling post on my Wonka and it worked pretty well actually. You could see a line where the clear coat had bunched up but it went smooth again. Big improvement. This gives me hope all my bunched posts on my POTC can be saved before they chip. So far I have one chip on the playfield I can’t hide. I’m thinking of using the hair dryer and some neoprene washers. Once the bunched up clearcoat is smoothed much less likely to chip. I am very curious how many other people have tried that method and how successful it has been. Please post your results.

There is a thread dedicated to this. I'd recommend checking it out.

#2738 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Same here, been 2 months

Yup, me to, was going to buy a deadpool, but its looking like I'm done with NIB sterns.

#2739 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I was going to buy a deadpool, but its looking like I'm done with NIB sterns.

It sounds like your intent to buy a deadpool is now dead because of pooling issues? Hello, irony.

#2740 4 years ago

The vibe I’m getting with this, with both JJP and Stern, is that they’re both just going to keep quiet about it, tell distros that they’ve “identified an issue and have resolved it” (whether they have or not) and let the community basically flame out over it.

People can’t sustain acrimony about this stuff indefinitely, there will be a fresh outrage in pinball before too long and that’s where people’s attention will go.

Meanwhile the poor bastards who have suffered from this problem are left trying to get it resolved, with ever diminishing public pressure, with varying levels of success or radio silence in some cases. Clearly not everyone is going to be treated like hawkmoon77 has - with a replacement populated PF.

Let’s look at this cynically shall we..

- Appease one or two vocal customers with top tier service
- Said customers report these customer service experiences on the issues thread (here)
- Bystanders and other customers think “Stern are doing the right thing, going above and beyond, that’s the mark of a great company” etc
- Bystanders drift out of the thread thinking that Stern are handling it, and go back to being satisfied to buy NIB pins in future.
- In reality only a lucky few may get made whole, the rest are chasing for updates or getting no replies at all, or subpar results (unpopulated PFs etc)
- But that doesn’t matter at this point because the sentiment is that Stern are putting things right because there is SOME evidence of it.

Someone in these companies would’ve made a clinical decision about whether it was cheaper and better PR to acknowledge publicly the problem or not. It seems it’s deemed better to pretend there wasn’t a problem, or if there was that is “been resolved” with no specifics whatsoever, and just wait for people on here to get bored of talking about it.

#2741 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

There is a thread dedicated to this. I'd recommend checking it out.

This is so bizarre to me. Warming a clear coat is not supposed to make it do that. Are they not using laquer?

#2742 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

The vibe I’m getting with this, with both JJP and Stern, is that they’re both just going to keep quiet about it, tell distros that they’ve “identified an issue and have resolved it” (whether they have or not) and let the community basically flame out over it.
People can’t sustain acrimony about this stuff indefinitely, there will be a fresh outrage in pinball before too long and that’s where people’s attention will go.
Meanwhile the poor bastards who have suffered from this problem are left trying to get it resolved, with ever diminishing public pressure, with varying levels of success or radio silence in some cases. Clearly not everyone is going to be treated like hawkmoon77 has - with a replacement populated PF.
- Said customers report these customer service experiences on the issues thread (here)
- Bystanders and other customers think “Stern are doing the right thing, going above and beyond, that’s the mark of a great company” etc
- Bystanders drift out of the thread thinking that Stern are handling it, and go back to being satisfied to buy NIB pins in future.
- In reality only a lucky few may get made whole, the rest are chasing for updates or getting no replies at all, or subpar results (unpopulated PFs etc)
- But that doesn’t matter at this point because the sentiment is that Stern are putting things right because there is SOME evidence of it.
Someone in these companies would’ve made a clinical decision about whether it was cheaper and better PR to acknowledge publicly the problem or not. It seems it’s deemed better to pretend there wasn’t a problem, or if there was that is “been resolved” with no specifics whatsoever, and just wait for people on here to get bored of talking about it.

Not me, I’m a big NIB buyer that past 3-4 years. But I am out out out on NIB indefinitely with Stern and JJP pins. This lack of transparency is Ridiculous. HUO works for me. Looks and inspect before I buy. Let others be their sheep. Fuck it. Peace out

#2743 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Not me, I’m a big NIB buyer that past 3-4 years. But I am out out out on NIB indefinitely with Stern and JJP pins. This lack of transparency is Ridiculous. HUO works for me. Looks and inspect before I buy. Let others be their sheep. Fuck it. Peace out

I thought you were selling all your pins?

#2744 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I am out out out on NIB indefinitely with Stern

After 6 of them, and some problems Stern ignored completely, I will not be buying anymore of their games. Recently I purchased both AP games nib, and I am totally happy with their games, and looking forward to their 3rd release.

However, Stern did nail it with TWD, and that machine has never had the first problem, so it will never go anywhere.

#2745 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I've had issues with both JJP and Stern games and my experience is that they will supply a new playfield if there is documented chipping (along with significant pooling) and you are polite and persistent. From what I can tell, they are only supplying populated playfieds when the game is still in warranty, i.e. basically fresh out of the box.

#2746 4 years ago

So what we have now is a huge bunch of Pins floating about the globe that have and will put the community in a unsettled position. I for one won’t be buying any newish Pins between certain dates. What about all those ones boxed up at the distros waiting to be sold....

For the used pin market:

- Sellers trying to move a pin knowing they have PF issues making a financial loss or trying to find an unsuspecting buyer

- Buyers going in with a PF forensic inspection kit prior to purchase to prevent buying one of the de-laminators

Nice.

#2747 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

This is too big of an issue to flame out. Everyone impacted needs to be focused until the situation is resolved.

The first thing is to determine whether new issues for Stern/JJP sure no longer happening for games manufactured after August/September 2019. If so, good.

The second thing is that anyone that does have pooling and/or chipping (and I would add anyone with a game that the mfg sent out with washers under the posts) needs to continue pressing their distribs and the mfgs until they are satisfied with the resolution. Stories of others getting successful resolution isn’t going to placate me if I have a similar unresolved problem.

Distributors and end users shouldn’t accept the word of Stern and JJP - this issue must be continue to be reported policed by the community until any pooling related issue is a distant memory. Both Stern and JJP had opportunities to get out in front of this and be honest about scope, root cause and resolution (if known). Both punted big time. It doesn’t seem like either saw this as a serious problem until sales ground to a halt this summer and the only reason that happened is because of threads like these.

As the cost of NIB machines rises, so should expectations. If the community lets this go before the last pooling problem has been resolved, shame on us.

#2748 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I thought you were selling all your pins?

Nah

#2749 4 years ago

Yeah I've heard nothing from stern on my issues. More art just keeps coming off. 2+ months.

#2750 4 years ago

A buddy of mine just took delivery of a JP2LE and put it on location. Having seen/played the game the clearcoat looks perfect (no pooling), the art has been removed from around the posts as others have noted on the LE playfields as well.

Going simply from my personal opinion I would also say that the clearcoat is a lot thinner than what Stern was producing prior to this. I don't really have an opinion on whether thinner CC is good or bad at this point.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/55?hl=vinnie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.