IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 185.
#2551 4 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

Stern added a QA Director today, who used to work at Caterpillar.

That's good. Caterpillar never had any problems with the clear coat on their playfields.

#2552 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

That's good. Caterpillar never had any problems with the clear coat on their playfields.

Teds ready.

rd

5188226D-D073-4C10-86EE-CF925433A9C9 (resized).jpeg5188226D-D073-4C10-86EE-CF925433A9C9 (resized).jpeg
#2553 4 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

Stern added a QA Director today... used to work at (with?) Caterpillar
https://sternpinball.com/2019/10/10/stern-pinball-enhances-quality-assurance-team/

I have a quality background and that is good news for the company going forward. It might take a while to get things aligned, but it should mean more reliable games going forward.

#2554 4 years ago
Quoted from rrosenhouse:

I think those are more LE's .

JJ said they wouldn’t make any CEs until they figured out what was wrong. They didn’t want any CEs going out with problems it seems. I took that as a good sign they are really trying to fix it. So once we see those getting delivered that’s a good sign.

#2555 4 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

Stern added a QA Director today... used to work at (with?) Caterpillar
https://sternpinball.com/2019/10/10/stern-pinball-enhances-quality-assurance-team/

If that’s not an admission that they’ve had serious problems recently I don’t know what it is. I think it’s a great sign now. Makes sense they realized how serious this was as it’s pretty obvious to all of us.

#2556 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Teds ready.
rd[quoted image]

Who put that lipstick on Red RD?

Little over the top don’t you think

#2557 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Let's hope he left the torque wrench guidelines at Caterpillar.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2558 4 years ago

I'd bet the farm the only reason any progress on the clear coat debacle is happening is due to everyone on this site and the word spreading. It's a sad day in hell when manufacturers have to take it in the financial keister in order to do the right thing instead of just doing it because it's the right thing to do.

#2559 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I'd bet the farm the only reason any progress on the clear coat debacle is happening is due to everyone on this site and the word spreading. It's a sad day in hell when manufacturers have to take it in the financial keister in order to do the right thing instead of just doing it because it's the right thing to do.

True, but don’t forget that there is more slime in the pinball industry than the used car business.

#2560 4 years ago

I don’t know much about Sterns history, but if they are expanding production, they may have just realized that now is the time to bring in someone with a Quality background. Hiring someone with that background will not be cheap. But worth it. It’s growing pains I might suspect.

#2562 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Yeah but at least we know they read this site regularly. Look how quick those annoying cartoon inner tubes disappeared from E3 after the outcry over the video. That alone made the display look *much* better and more readable.

#2563 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Dunno buddy! Just a google image.

I don’t have room in my collection for that clanger. Haha!

rd

#2564 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Way over the top,now she looks like a cheap slut!

#2565 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

I wanted to post a followup as I heard back from my distributor last week regarding my Iron Maiden chipping/pooling. Stern has offered to send me a non-populated playfield free of charge and I have accepted the offer. I know for some this would not be satisfactory but for me I feel it is a fair solution. I have not received the new playfield yet and was told 4-8 weeks before it ships. So I'm figuring a couple months give or take. Just for reference it took Stern about 4 weeks to provide a response to my distributor on the initial report of chipping. As long as I receive the playfield I will be happy and feel like Stern did the right thing standing behind their product. My machine was still within the 30 day return policy my distributor offers so I'm not sure if that had any influence on the decision or not. I'll post another update once I receive the replacement playfield.

I was offered the same for my pros with these issues. I politely declined and asked for populated playfield swaps and I’m waiting to hear back. I’m not spending the time and effort to do playfield swaps.

#2566 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Way over the top,now she looks like a cheap slut!

No slut shaming here on PS! I'm sure she's been faithful to Ted all these years.

#2567 4 years ago

What I'd like to know is who is the quality control inspector on the way out and where is he going?

#2568 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Has anyone tried to remove a post from an area where there is pooling but no chipping? I'm curious if the bottom of the post is stuck to the clear when trying to remove it.

Quoted from Dr-pin:

I would consider warming it with a heat gun or such before i tried the removal.

I bought a used wonka le that had some pooling. I pulled most of the lower playfield posts and they came right up and caused no damage. I then flattened out the pooling and added different types of washers depending on the type of posts. So far everything has been ok and we absolutely love the game and have put 600-800 plays on it over the past month or so with no issues reoccurring...

#2569 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What I'd like to know is who is the quality control inspector on the way out and where is he going?

I heard he has a job waiting at Samsung with their "folding phone" division. Judging from that last aborted launch he should fit right in.

Just in time too as they are planning on a re-launch (if they haven't already).

#2570 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I then flattened out the pooling

Did you sand it out, or were you actually able to manipulate the cured surface with pressure?

#2571 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Did you sand it out, or were you actually able to manipulate the cured surface with pressure?

No sanding.. it flattened out with hair dryer on low . I just basically followed a thread someone made on pinside. Not sure who it was but it seemed to work overall. Seems to me the digital printing is moving under high pressure areas like slings and such.

#2572 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

No sanding.. it flattened out with hair dryer on low . I just basically followed a thread someone made on pinside. Not sure who it was but it seemed to work overall. Seems to me the digital printing is moving under high pressure areas like slings and such.

Curious. I never heard of a lacquer flexible enough to do that after curing. In fact, I can't even imagine how to intentionally replicate that. You learn something new, everyday.

#2573 4 years ago

Lol. Yawn. Now buy that new 9k game! Nope ain’t doing it.

#2574 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Lol. Yawn. Now buy that new 9k game! Nope ain’t doing it.

Yes, he's going to need time to establish a rep (which depends on upper management support), add new processes and potentially kick some ass...

#2575 4 years ago

The Stern JP Pros at York today had the updated 'cut back' art style on the Playfields. So the change they made for the LEs they have now made for Pros as well.

#2576 4 years ago

Played Jurassic Park recently, before I even hit the start button my first thought was WTH is going on with the playfield finish? Had to take a picture of it.

For the record the game was pretty fun, shots were great and I scored well on it, the playfield appearance would be cause for my concern. The playfield "cutout" plastics reek of cost cutting, but that is a minor nitpick compared to the playfield surface.

20191011_124130.jpg20191011_124130.jpg

#2577 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Played Jurassic Park recently, before I even hit the start button my first thought was WTH is going on with the playfield finish? Had to take a picture of it.
For the record the game was pretty fun, shots were great and I scored well on it, the playfield appearance would be cause for my concern. The playfield "cutout" plastics reek of cost cutting, but that is a minor nitpick compared to the playfield surface.
[quoted image]

Is that a pro?

#2578 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Is that a pro?

Not familiar with the differences, is there some toy or feature that sets them apart I could identify?

#2579 4 years ago

Should give the new QC director a sanding block to get those lines out.

#2580 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

[quoted image]

The cutouts under the plastic looks awful, why are the doing like that?

Ribbing/planking lines on the playfield has been going on for years now. It's a hit and miss when you role the dice with a NIB, Stern consider this as cosmetic and normal.

#2581 4 years ago
Quoted from Returner:

The cutouts under the plastic looks awful, why are the doing like that?
Ribbing/planking lines on the playfield has been going on for years now. It's a hit and miss when you role the dice with a NIB, Stern consider this as cosmetic and normal.

Unacceptable.

#2582 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Unacceptable.

Totally acceptable after your money is taken. Fight for a decent playfield after dropping that wad? Fuque.

#2583 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Unacceptable.

Sterns new norm...get used to it....u roll the dice on all these new games....

#2584 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I accept that. My money going to other hobbies. Good luck with today’s nib buyer’s I guess.

#2585 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Easy problem to avoid, I'll not buy anything from Stern if that is the level of quality control they have. Played several new Sterns in the recent past without noting that finish, astounding that was considered acceptable for sale.

#2586 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Easy problem to avoid, I'll not buy anything from Stern if that is the level of quality control they have. Played several new Sterns in the recent past without noting that finish, astounding that was considered acceptable for sale.

How many NIB Sterns have you bought in the last 15 years? Stern need to listen to all their customers buying NIB.

#2587 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

How many NIB Sterns have you bought in the last 15 years? Stern need to listen to all their customers buying NIB.

Does it matter? Lost sale right now.

#2588 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Does it matter? Lost sale right now.

Stern needs to listen to people buying NIB games, i thought you were a repeat customer buying lots of games. Sorry if I am incorrect

#2589 4 years ago

Stern needs to listen to people buying NIB games, i thought you were a repeat customer buying lots of games. Sorry if I am incorrect

Not sure what your point is.

Stern needs to sell product, they are not going to sell MORE product shipping poor quality goods liked what is pictured above. I'd have an utter fit if that showed up on my doorstep.

#2590 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Not sure what your point is.
Stern needs to sell product, they are not going to sell MORE product shipping poor quality goods liked what is pictured above. I'd have an utter fit if that showed up on my doorstep.

My point is Stern need to look after their customers. Simple.

#2591 4 years ago

My point is Stern need to look after their customers. Simple.

Your not grasping they just lost one, I was playing it for a reason.

#2592 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Your not grasping they just lost one, I was playing it for a reason.

Vote woth your wallett. Always the best thing to do.

#2593 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

[quoted image]

I’ve noticed this (wrinkles) from a few NIB box games that I have purchased from different manufacturers. Could they all be purchasing from the same playfield manufacturer? Doesn’t seem to be an issue, just odd that the surface isn’t smooth. Ironically these games have zero pooling issues.

#2594 4 years ago

Hmmmm

Buy 4-5 NIB games with F'd clearcoat

Or...

Screenshot_20191013-110702 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191013-110702 (resized).png
#2595 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Hmmmm
Buy 4-5 NIB games with F'd clearcoat
Or...[quoted image]

New cars are a waste of money also. Buy a Bube hockey now and wait for the playfield issues to get resolved. That's what I'm doing.

#2596 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

New cars are a waste of money also. Buy a Bube hockey now and wait for the playfield issues to get resolved. That's what I'm doing.

Just had family over playing my Super Chexx. Super fun for everyone. My sister in-law never played one in her life. After two games and some pointers she was loving it.

#2597 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

New cars are a waste of money

True

But I want to wear Affliction T shirts & weird fancy jeans.

That truck is the final piece of the puzzle.

#2598 4 years ago

Just had family over playing my Super Chexx. Super fun for everyone. My sister in-law never played one in her life. After two games and some pointers she was loving it.

zero chance you'll have pooling rock solid game

#2599 4 years ago

Not very fun by yourself though..

#2600 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

zero chance you'll have pooling rock solid game

watch out for ICING!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/52?hl=vinnie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.