IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 185.
#2501 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I don't use emojis and I never will. I usually trust people can catch the implied humor. Apparently not this time.
Guess you gentlemen haven't read many of my posts (mostly attempts at humor or sarcasm).
Then again, my wife tells me I'm not as funny as I think I am. I would hate to think she's right.

I guess not always huh?

#2502 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That good eh? Kept you entertained for a whole 15 minutes.

Playing and posting at the same time Odiner, I can multitask! You should get some JP time, it covers several decades.

Until mañana, its been fun and entertaining!

#2503 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Playing and posting at the same time Odiner, I can multitask! You should get some JP time, it covers several decades.

I get to play them all at my local distributer. Helps when I'm super stoned.

Took watching my buddy play a 15 minute ball on JP before I just walked away. He did too.

I'm watching the Dodgers while posting myself.

#2504 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I get to play them all at my local distributer. Helps when I'm super stoned.
Took watching my buddy play a 15 minute ball on JP before I just walked away. He did too.
I'm watching the Dodgers while posting myself.

Have the Dodgers on too. You and Nimble walking away from JP is just sad, for you guys How stoned were you Spicoli?

I have a Gorgar coming soon. Does that float your boat?

#2505 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You and Nimble walking away from JP is just sad, for you guys

It wasn't Nimble, but another guy I compete with regularly. We don't like easy games with long ball times. Fortunately none of mine are set up that way. Theme does nothing for me anyway.

Gorgar is pretty cool. Haven't had that game in a couple years, but it was fun.

#2506 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I have a Gorgar coming soon.

Yes Icey, after all these years you finally got a real pinball machine.

Now, let’s see you shatz those inlanes like a champ!

rd

#2507 4 years ago

Rotordave is one of the only people I've seen make my machines look somewhat less difficult ... on occasion.

#2508 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Rotordave is one of the only people I've seen make my machines look somewhat less difficult ... on occasion.

I have my moments.

rd

#2509 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

a leader of the don't get it club. LOL

Missed the point in that post too! You are on a roll, 0 for everything!

There isn’t a don’t get it club either. Quit talking out your ass. It’s more of a don’t get it loose association without a charter formed by individuals seeking high quality $8000 man toys. Sad world where demanding quality is a pejorative to some.

#2510 4 years ago

Few hundred more plays and it just get's worse. Still no word from Stern, phone calls and emails. Still waiting.

20191009_201145 (resized).jpg20191009_201145 (resized).jpg20191009_201200 (resized).jpg20191009_201200 (resized).jpg
#2511 4 years ago

That’s just standard HUO wear right?

#2512 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And no, imho the quality is getting better

Ice, put that pipe down!

#2513 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Few hundred more plays and it just get's worse. Still no word from Stern, phone calls and emails. Still waiting.[quoted image][quoted image]

This is the original and not the new playfield you purchased from Stern correct? I really hope the replacement playfields are better.

How long have you been waiting on Stern's response? Have you tried your distributor?

Sorry you're having this problem and I hope Stern makes it right.

#2514 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Few hundred more plays and it just get's worse. Still no word from Stern, phone calls and emails. Still waiting.[quoted image][quoted image]

Gotta love Stern customer support....best in the business How hard is it to respond to its customer base....

#2515 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

I don't think I'm being unreasonable to not expect this on a playfield less than 3 weeks old. I'm not being a "perfectionist" I understand there is wear and tear in pinball. But this is clearly defective and Stern should stand behind their product. Virtually every post on my playfield has pooling/blistering/creep or whatever you want to call it. Most of these are probably going to chip considering how early the first chip happened. Unfortunately I didn't know about these issues before I made my purchase or I never would have. I could not in good faith recommend anyone buying NIB right now. Hopefully Stern comes through for me and changes my mind but as of right now this was my first and will be my last NIB Stern.[quoted image]

I wanted to post a followup as I heard back from my distributor last week regarding my Iron Maiden chipping/pooling. Stern has offered to send me a non-populated playfield free of charge and I have accepted the offer. I know for some this would not be satisfactory but for me I feel it is a fair solution. I have not received the new playfield yet and was told 4-8 weeks before it ships. So I'm figuring a couple months give or take. Just for reference it took Stern about 4 weeks to provide a response to my distributor on the initial report of chipping. As long as I receive the playfield I will be happy and feel like Stern did the right thing standing behind their product. My machine was still within the 30 day return policy my distributor offers so I'm not sure if that had any influence on the decision or not. I'll post another update once I receive the replacement playfield.

#2516 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

My machine was still within the 30 day return policy my distributor offers

They didn't offer a populated one for a chipping game still within the return policy? Man, this does not bode well for my LE haha. Glad you're happy though!

#2517 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

This is the original and not the new playfield you purchased from Stern correct? I really hope the replacement playfields are better.
How long have you been waiting on Stern's response? Have you tried your distributor?
Sorry you're having this problem and I hope Stern makes it right.

Yes that's the Original PF. Keeping the unused stored for a while, as it may have the same issues.

#2518 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

I think this is just terrible. If this is in your first thirty days I would want a full swap out of the entire pin. That kind of damage right out of the gate is completely unacceptable. Populated playfield at a minimum. I think a blank playfield is fine for a machine you have had for a year or so, but the first month? No way.

#2519 4 years ago

What if Stern didn’t want to send you a populated PF because they knew it would chip again?

Better do that PF swap now so you can get a 3rd if that’s the case

Quoted from Vinnie:

I wanted to post a followup as I heard back from my distributor last week regarding my Iron Maiden chipping/pooling. Stern has offered to send me a non-populated playfield free of charge and I have accepted the offer. I know for some this would not be satisfactory but for me I feel it is a fair solution. I have not received the new playfield yet and was told 4-8 weeks before it ships. So I'm figuring a couple months give or take. Just for reference it took Stern about 4 weeks to provide a response to my distributor on the initial report of chipping. As long as I receive the playfield I will be happy and feel like Stern did the right thing standing behind their product. My machine was still within the 30 day return policy my distributor offers so I'm not sure if that had any influence on the decision or not. I'll post another update once I receive the replacement playfield.

#2520 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

so you can get a 3rd if that’s the case

wall to wall hanging art

#2521 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

that's what I call the game shits itself. not good - not good.

#2522 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

What if Stern didn’t want to send you a populated PF because they knew it would chip again?
Better do that PF swap now so you can get a 3rd if that’s the case

Yes that’s a risk I’m assuming accepting an unpopulated playfield. I was thinking of letting the new one cure before installing it. Will it help? Not sure but that was my thinking.

#2523 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

My machine was still within the 30 day return policy my distributor offers

That might have been the way I would have chosen to go.

#2524 4 years ago

So folks, is the general consensus......a badly pooled PF will inevitably lead to chipping?

#2525 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That might have been the way I would have chosen to go.

I actually considered it until I took into account the hassle involved. Would have cost me About $300 in shipping plus I didn’t have the original shipping box, etc. Time will tell if I made the right decision or not.

#2526 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

I actually considered it until I took into account the hassle involved. Would have cost me About $300 in shipping plus I didn’t have the original shipping box, etc. Time will tell if I made the right decision or not.

With you getting a spare PF I'd get the stuff together to do those repairs that Yelobird detailed and fix the one you got....

#2527 4 years ago

Has anyone tried to remove a post from an area where there is pooling but no chipping? I'm curious if the bottom of the post is stuck to the clear when trying to remove it.

#2528 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Has anyone tried to remove a post from an area where there is pooling but no chipping? I'm curious if the bottom of the post is stuck to the clear when trying to remove it.

I would consider warming it with a heat gun or such before i tried the removal.

#2529 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Has anyone tried to remove a post from an area where there is pooling but no chipping? I'm curious if the bottom of the post is stuck to the clear when trying to remove it

For JJP, Jack practically screamed do not remove posts with this issue happening...for what it’s worth

#2530 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

For JJP, Jack practically screamed do not remove posts with this issue happening...for what it’s worth

I was told the same.

-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

#2531 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

mental mate, you've literally been robbed - that won't stop- it will get worse and worse, then the ball will catch on it and make the game play terrible. I'd return it and do it ASAP.

#2532 4 years ago

FWIW, JJP have reported to our distributor here in the UK that they have fixed whatever was causing this now.

#2533 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I was told the same.
-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

As was I. And when I went to install cliffy‘s and removed a post on my POTC, it pulled a chip right off the playfield. So I am afraid to remove anything from that play field at all.

#2534 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

FWIW, JJP have reported to our distributor here in the UK that they have fixed whatever was causing this now.

I’ll believe it when I see Willy Wonka CE’s going out and their owners reporting everything is fine here on Pinside.

#2535 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

So folks, is the general consensus......a badly pooled PF will inevitably lead to chipping?

Sure looks that way. Caveat I’m no engineer.

#2536 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I would consider warming it with a heat gun or such before i tried the removal.

That's good advice for protecting the PF. If you happen to notice that it is stuck without warming it though, I'd be curious because it would pretty much completely convince me that the parts were installed before the clear cured.

#2537 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

We would be happy with that outcome. Play the game and keep the playfield for a swap later on.

Not everybody is able to do a playfield swap so this solution does not suit all.

#2538 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We would be happy with that outcome. Play the game and keep the playfield for a swap later on.
Not everybody is able to do a playfield swap so this solution does not suit all.

Even if you're doing the swap yourself do you really want to pay thousands of dollars for a machine that requires a playfield swap 2 months later? How many man hours of work is that?

#2539 4 years ago

Yeah, I'm capable of a playfield swap but do NOT want to do it. There's a reason I'm paying a premium (pun intended) for a brand new game as opposed to a cheap fixer-upper.

#2540 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Even if you're doing the swap yourself do you really want to pay thousands of dollars for a machine that requires a playfield swap 2 months later? How many man hours of work is that?

We would not swap out the playfield 2 months later. The spare playfield gives plenty of options.

Play the shit out of the game for years, swap out later.
Sell the game with a brand new playfield
Sell the game with a stuffed playfield keep the new one
Sell the game with a stuffed playfield sell the new one separately

We love the hobby and want to enjoy the new games. Manufacturing errors happen and they are totally out of my control. I think you need to negotiate with the manufacturer to get a result you are happy with, everybody is different.

I did say that option is not for everyone!

#2541 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I’ll believe it when I see Willy Wonka CE’s going out and their owners reporting everything is fine here on Pinside.

I think those are more LE's .

#2542 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I ever have to go to court, I want Iceman as my lawyer.
And I want him all liquored up when we go see the judge.
"Case dismissed!"

Yep. This is why we don’t make friends on pinside too heh.

#2543 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It wasn't Nimble, but another guy I compete with regularly. We don't like easy games with long ball times. Fortunately none of mine are set up that way. Theme does nothing for me anyway.
Gorgar is pretty cool. Haven't had that game in a couple years, but it was fun.

No doubt about it, I’ll take an easy game though after TWD kicking my ass for years until I finally conquered it

I love em all though, easy, hard, ugly, purty

FWIW, my pf looks great, no issues out of the box

I would have never known my MunstersLE had some pooling until Pinside pointed out the possibility. Ruined my life!

And if you ever need legal assistance, Iceman, aka My cousin Vinny, will be happy to take care of you Odin

I’m more of a Billy Bob Thornton from Goliath though!

#2544 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My cousin Vinny, will be happy to take care of you Odin

I figured out the positraction deal way before he did. Or his girlfriend.

#2545 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I figured out the positraction deal way before he did. Or his girlfriend.

Lol

#2546 4 years ago

Seriously I was sitting there with my x and her daughter and said, that car can't make those marks, it doesn't have positraction.

I had no clue that would end up being the plot.

#2547 4 years ago

I was just at a showroom with many pins, and WW from JJP had minor pooling and a couple recent Sterns did too, including JP.

I brought home a NIB MMr - with a born on date of Sept. 2017 - and the playfield is flawless. Beautiful glossy clear and no pooling. CSC seems to be doing it right.

#2548 4 years ago
Quoted from Vinnie:

Yes that’s a risk I’m assuming accepting an unpopulated playfield. I was thinking of letting the new one cure before installing it. Will it help? Not sure but that was my thinking.

I wonder if Stern will provide any instructions regarding torque numbers for tightening down a post, etc.? I suspect even the best PF would have issues if a person really torques down a post. On the flip, not tight enough could cause issues too since a post could move around a bit.

Just a guess, but I bet they use calibrated torque wrenches at the factory. Anyone know for sure?

#2549 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I wonder if Stern will provide any instructions regarding torque numbers for tightening down a post, etc.?

tenor.giftenor.gif
#2550 4 years ago

Stern added a QA Director today... used to work at (with?) Caterpillar

https://sternpinball.com/2019/10/10/stern-pinball-enhances-quality-assurance-team/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 7,999.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 91.00
8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/51?hl=vinnie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.