IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 185.
#2301 4 years ago

No comment from Stern since my Maiden LE was acknowledged to be passed on to QC over a month ago.

Really wanted a JP and Elvira. I’ve since picked up four solid states and I have an Iron Man on the way.

They can continue sweeping this under the rug and I’ll continue not buying their latest games.

#2302 4 years ago
Quoted from Beaverz:

Not Stern is making the same commercial games as before. The fact you choose to buy then and put them in your house does not change that. If I buy a shipping container to put in my back yard I don't expect it to be made differently than one that's going to be rushed around. If be buying something that's not made for my market segment and if be expecting the commerical level. Stern can name them le, sle, etc it's still the same stuff.

Obtuse

#2303 4 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

So this begs the questions--what is Stern's thoughts on the matter and if they're keeping mum (which I believe they are) then WHY in blue hell are people STILL buying a Stern product ?!?

Some people like having fun? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#2304 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Is it possible Stern are letting the clock run down?
Maybe keep quiet in the hope warranties expire, damage limitation.
Perhaps address the situation later down the line.
For example:-
- Customer who reported new pin with bad case of chipping soon after delivery - may have best chance of resolution by getting PF replaced
- Customer reports pooling but no chipping - no action taken by Stern. If pin then chips a year or two later - Stern put this down to wear and tear with no further action.
Just a thought

I wouldn't be surprised...

#2305 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

No comment from Stern since my Maiden LE was acknowledged to be passed on to QC over a month ago.

A month? Mine has been with QC for a week and a half and I thought that seemed long without an update. I guess I better reset my expectations.

#2306 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Perhaps address the situation later down the line.
For example:-
- Customer who reported new pin with bad case of chipping soon after delivery - may have best chance of resolution by getting PF replaced
- Customer reports pooling but no chipping - no action taken by Stern. If pin then chips a year or two later - Stern put this down to wear and tear with no further action.
Just a thought

No, there is not, and never has been, a warranty on the playfield. They have been willing at times to deal with issues but it's been completely discretionary on their part, at least in the US.

#2307 4 years ago

Realistic.

#2308 4 years ago

Just talking past each other so no worries.

Welcome to pinside btw, great to have another informed opinion in the mix. That container analogy was spot on. Lots of LE containers going out these days. I have had my eye on a super signature LE container myself. Hopefully the clear holds up now that they are marketing specifically to the discerning container collector. #containerside

#2309 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

A month? Mine has been with QC for a week and a half and I thought that seemed long without an update. I guess I better reset my expectations.

No worries, they’ll take care of you especially since it’s a really new game. It does take time. Just continue to be patient and polite in the meantime, which you’re totally being... even in your posts here.

Personally, I’m livid that my 9k LE is having these issues and I’m not getting much a response... but your game is substantially newer and has a multitude of issues, so I’m confident Stern will take care of you sooner than later don’t sweat it!

#2310 4 years ago

No worries, they’ll take care of you especially since it’s a really new game. It does take time. Just continue to be patient and polite in the meantime, which you’re totally being... even in your posts here.
Personally, I’m livid that my 9k LE is having these issues and I’m not getting much a response... but your game is substantially newer and has a multitude of issues, so I’m confident Stern will take care of you sooner than later don’t sweat it!

I'm sorry your having trouble to. I do believe Stern cares and doesn't want this for their customers. Things can take time. In the meanwhile, there's plenty of pinball to play while I wait.

#2311 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Perhaps thinking they may not be around to answer any more warranty claims.

#2312 4 years ago

What happened to your LE?

#2313 4 years ago

the recent talk is primarily regarding stern. what is the latest on responses/reconciliation with JJP on wonka and POTC? in the POTC chipping thread, customers who had received personal assurances seem to be feeling a little left out in the cold. at one point it appeared jack was done running away from his problems, had jumped on board, and was sailing off into the sunset.

#2314 4 years ago

Really wanted a JP and Elvira. I’ve since picked up four solid states and I have an Iron Man on the way.
They can continue sweeping this under the rug and I’ll continue not buying their latest games.

You’re not alone, im going on 2 months without a response. I called my distributor yesterday to have them follow up on my IMDN Premium. I got two games that i want to buy right now (JP and Elvira 3) but im not buying anything until i see what they are going to do about my IMDN game. All of this pooling and chipping has ruined the NIB experience for me.

#2315 4 years ago

Same

#2316 4 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

the recent talk is primarily regarding stern. what is the latest on responses/reconciliation with JJP on wonka and POTC? in the POTC chipping thread, customers who had received personal assurances seem to be feeling a little left out in the cold. at one point it appeared jack was done running away from his problems, had jumped on board, and was sailing off into the sunset.

I received reimbursement for my playfield? I know others did as well.

#2317 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You’re not alone, im going on 2 months without a response. I called my distributor yesterday to have them follow up on my IMDN Premium. I got two games that i want to buy right now (JP and Elvira 3) but im not buying anything until i see what they are going to do about my IMDN game. All of this pooling and chipping has ruined the NIB experience for me.

It was much easier and less painful for me to just sell my IMLE.

#2318 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Pretty shitty customer service when an issue goes unanswered for months....zero chance I would do business with a company who doesn't care about its customers. All they need to do is communicate that they are still working on a resolution, but no communication is bad business.

#2319 4 years ago

Maybe i have not seen it in this crowdy thread, but has American Pinball also these issues?
When i buy my next pin in spring 2020 i have a look at Houdini or Oktoberfest instead of GoT or ST or GB.
Thanks for the answer.

#2320 4 years ago
Quoted from Metengo:

Maybe i have not seen it in this crowdy thread, but has American Pinball also these issues?
When i buy my next pin in spring 2020 i have a look at Houdini or Oktoberfest instead of GoT or ST or GB.
Thanks for the answer.

Nope, and I have a Mirco in my Houdini. I think the build date was ~July '18.

#2321 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Pretty shitty customer service when an issue goes unanswered for months....zero chance I would do business with a company who doesn't care about its customers. All they need to do is communicate that they are still working on a resolution, but no communication is bad business.

Anyone taking bets on how many titles they release before the first person receives an adequate solution?

#2322 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Nope, and I have a Mirco in my Houdini.

OK, written is not the same than spoken.
Do you mean to have Mirco PF is a good thing and AP knows that and so they only use these.
Or do you mean Mirco PF is bad but you have luck although it is from Mirco.

Thank you for clarification.

#2323 4 years ago
Quoted from Metengo:

OK, written is not the same than spoken.
Do you mean to have Mirco PF is a good thing and AP knows that and so they only use these.
Or do you mean Mirco PF is bad but you have luck although it is from Mirco.
Thank you for clarification.

I haven't seen any issues on my Houdini which used a Mirco, nor have I seen any postings with AP PF issues. I mentioned Mirco since it was the focus of the JJP/Stern PF issues early on. But my Houdini build date was in the middle of 2018, so plenty of time for Mirco to change the recipe.

There were some comments here that Stern does their PF's in house and didn't use Mirco's, but I don't recall seeing if that discussion was ever resolved.

Early Houdini's used two PF vendors (don't recall the other), but I think they no longer use Mirco's.

Back to the JJP/Stern thread, sorry for the slight derail.

#2324 4 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Anyone taking bets on how many titles they release before the first person receives an adequate solution?

Stern doesn't really care about pooling or a little chipping....its their new normal...they figure they'll wait long enough and enough owners will get frustrated and sell off their machine at a loss.

#2325 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Stern doesn't really care about pooling or a little chipping....its their new normal...they figure they'll wait long enough and enough owners will get frustrated and sell off their machine at a loss.

its only the new normal if we accept it.

#2326 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

What happened to your LE?

A few things actually. Some minor stuff like the helicopter blades were hitting the ramp and they asked me to bend it, and a side wall was overtightened, causing it to bend and leave an indent into the playfield.

They also forgot to install some parts, paint is chipping/peeling below the flipper, and they used the wrong color insert in a pretty important place (which basically mismarks an important part of the ruleset).

#2327 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

A few things actually. Some minor stuff like the helicopter blades were hitting the ramp and they asked me to bend it, and a side wall was overtightened, causing it to bend and leave an indent into the playfield.
They also forgot to install some parts, paint is chipping/peeling below the flipper, and they used the wrong color insert in a pretty important place (which basically mismarks an important part of the ruleset).

can't imagine why Stern haven't sent you a courier to pick this game up and drop a new properly made one! It's a shit show.

#2328 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

its only the new normal if we accept it.

Clearly many people are fine with it, which doesn't bother me one bit (its their $)...I for one will never buy another NIB game from Stern. I'm fine with increased pricing, but I have serious issues with shitty quality, warranties, and customer service.

#2329 4 years ago
Quoted from Beaverz:

No, there is not, and never has been, a warranty on the playfield. They have been willing at times to deal with issues but it's been completely discretionary on their part, at least in the US.

That is not correct. There is a warranty under the Uniform Commercial Code for all goods that are not exempt. The goods must conform to the contract. Pinball machines are not exempt. Most people don’t know their rights. This is automatic by operation of law and companies cannot exempt themselves from it.

#2330 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

can't imagine why Stern haven't sent you a courier to pick this game up and drop a new properly made one! It's a shit show.

They may very well do that as far as I know. They are still reviewing the situation and I don't believe want decision has been made yet.

#2331 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

I really like Stern pinball machines but playfields with pooling only can be stopped if you ad a anti pooling 0,75 mm playfield protector that covers the playfield and all post in the shooting area.
It sucks but that is the only solution i think.
I say it again Stern can't replace ALL playfield they will go out off business.
Some will get a new playfield.
Maybe they make a protector for a few models i don't know what else they can do.
Or stay silence and tackle the problem for the future.

Playfield protector does not stop the pooling issue. I am not sure if the Playfield Protector helps reduce the pooling or not.

#2332 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Some people like having fun? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m sure it’s great fun when the ball hits a post, as they do, and that post pulls up a chunk of artwork. Good times...

#2333 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

They may very well do that as far as I know. They are still reviewing the situation and I don't believe want decision has been made yet.

In my experience with other companies getting a specific person to speak with at the company for updates and a specific time frame for resolution is helpful. Sometimes having a specific resolution that you want and communicating that to them politely is helpful.

I've had poor experiences when I simply reported a problem and gave them weeks to respond with no further contact.

#2334 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

There is a warranty under the Uniform Commercial Code for all goods that are not exempt. The goods must conform to the contract. Pinball machines are not exempt.

Can you quote the section that applies and maybe provide a link? Could be helpful information for those that don't get a satisfactory resolution.

#2335 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I’m sure it’s great fun when the ball hits a post, as they do, and that post pulls up a chunk of artwork. Good times...

It is indeed great fun!

I've got a chip under a sling, hard to see, BFD

#2336 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

The more it happens, the more fun it is.

#2337 4 years ago

Restoring games is kind of fun too.

Should be big business again on high end games with trashed playfields in a few short years.

#2338 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It is indeed great fun!

I've got a chip under a sling, hard to see, BFD

As long as you’re having fun, I guess. Can’t fault that. Aggravating that on the cusp of new tech integrated with smooth shooting designs that the basics get overlooked. This cannot be a long term problem, my concern isn’t when it will be fixed but the thousands(?) left with preemie pf’s and no resolution.

I too would like to see that law.

https://www.usa.gov/consumer-complaints Meanwhile, those months without an answer...

#2339 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

In my experience with other companies getting a specific person to speak with at the company for updates and a specific time frame for resolution is helpful. Sometimes having a specific resolution that you want and communicating that to them politely is helpful.
I've had poor experiences when I simply reported a problem and gave them weeks to respond with no further contact.

Thank you for sharing that experience. I can be too patient at times for my own good. Especially when I like a company and more so when I like the people that work there.

I think the right people are aware. I also think you are right that I need a timeframe. I will take your advice and follow up regularly.

#2340 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

That is not correct. There is a warranty under the Uniform Commercial Code for all goods that are not exempt. The goods must conform to the contract. Pinball machines are not exempt. Most people don’t know their rights. This is automatic by operation of law and companies cannot exempt themselves from it.

UCC is not national law, it is up to individual jurisdictions to implement it. Those judicial can also choose not to adopt any origins they don't agree with, and not not choose to use the current standards. The most relevant section is probably § 2-315. Which just states sold items most be for for purpose which all of these games are.

#2341 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Restoring games is kind of fun too.
Should be big business again on high end games with trashed playfields in a few short years.

Or weeks.

#2342 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No shit.
Paint sticks a lot better to the wood than the metal around my house.

I just had my house painted. Everything is great except they painted my exterior doors, which are metal, they started peeling within a week.

#2343 4 years ago

I've scaled back Stern/JJP purchases immensely since our GBLE play field was replaced 2.5 years ago. Luckily we had a great distributor, but man... this is soooo much more widespread with no solution in sight.

Chicago doesn't have the environmental laws many states do that mandate water borne clear. Seems like it would be easiest to revert back to solvent and solve this once and for all...

#2344 4 years ago

Im starting to think Stern are actually part of the US Intelligence Community.
It’s seems mums the word ref Cleargate!
You would have thought a disgruntled employee would have squealed by now....

Have they all signed the official secrets act?

You may have to plant a mole
Or
Get a Magnum Pi on the case

#2345 4 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

Chicago doesn't have the environmental laws many states do

Stern ain't located in Chicago. Nor is Chicago a state.

#2346 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

I really like Stern pinball machines but playfields with pooling only can be stopped if you ad a anti pooling 0,75 mm playfield protector that covers the playfield and all post in the shooting area.
It sucks but that is the only solution i think.

Anti pooling playfield protector?

I’ve heard it all now!

#2347 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Anti pooling playfield protector?
I’ve heard it all now!

The same company that makes the bat anti shark repellant spray

#2348 4 years ago

this thread used to be on fire, until very recently when it lost the fire icon on the topic list topic must have flamed out.

#2349 4 years ago

Stern be like...…..

How-to-Prevent-Car-Clear-Coat-Peeling-5-Ways-to-Do-It-300x225 (resized).jpgHow-to-Prevent-Car-Clear-Coat-Peeling-5-Ways-to-Do-It-300x225 (resized).jpg
#2350 4 years ago

I posted this in the JPLE thread, but wanted to let people here know as well that two senior people reached out to me regarding the PF issues I had and they are sending my distributor a new populated PF to swap. Based on the communications I've had with them, I have no doubt that this is an important issue for them to get right. I appreciate everyone's advice here. It helped tremendously.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tualatin, OR
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
System-J
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods
Protection
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 75.00
Lighting - Backbox
arcade-cabinets.com
Backbox
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/47 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.