Topic Stats

• 2,719 posts
  • 364 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by GamerRick
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 314 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

719F6E28-3402-43A0-9A13-22627B2E391D (resized).jpeg
20191018_202159 (1) (resized).jpg
20191018_202129 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_image1 (resized).jpg
DAA46D17-AE44-4183-BF0E-4F9767AF5FAE (resized).jpeg
49034223-F435-4882-9980-BE445297ACB0 (resized).jpeg
59284194583__8E45E493-CC92-4645-BEF4-B9622AEB4433 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20191013-110702 (resized).png
20191011_124130.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
5188226D-D073-4C10-86EE-CF925433A9C9 (resized).jpeg
tenor.gif
20191009_201145 (resized).jpg
20191009_201200 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg

There are 2719 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 55.
#1651 33 days ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

I was told by Stern that the issues aren't widespread and are only being talked about due to a very vocal minority. I asked if the issues were fixed and they told me that they don't discuss matters of their internal operations with people outside the organization. I see enough pics online to be very wary about this. For the time being, my JP Premium order is on hold. I want to see how all the LE playfields are before I decide to make my final payment. I just can't take a chance right now....which sucks cause I really want the game.

bacon (resized).png
#1652 33 days ago
Quoted from Manic:

It seems sometimes with washers you'll just get a bigger spread of CC. Then you really can't hide it. I'm waiting to see a joke pic of a post with a huge three inch metal washer on the bottom.[quoted image]

As soon as I saw the pictures of washers I knew it was a snap reaction, trying to spread out the surface area of the post by adding a larger washer was never going to fix this simply delay it and like you said above do nothing but make the clearcoat wrinkling spread out wider and the damaged area larger

#1653 33 days ago

With the obvious problems with the clear coat and art work de-laminating with pressure, what do you suppose the new Elvira is going to look like in short order with the right side VUK kicking the ball out to the middle of the PF? I have a hunch that the center of that PF is going to start peeling post haste. Then it will start chipping, and more peeling as the ball rolls over it.

#1654 33 days ago
Quoted from J85M:

As soon as I saw the pictures of washers I knew it was an snap reaction, trying to spread out the surface area of the post by adding a larger washer was never going to fix this simply delay it and like you said above simply makes the clearcoat wrinkling spread out wider and the damaged area larger

Yup I've seen the same issue with games with washers too. So now they've pushed the damage out further, which then decrease the distance from the ball. I think the ones with washers are going to start peeling away faster.

#1655 33 days ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

what do you suppose the new Elvira is going to look like in short order with the right side VUK kicking the ball out to the middle of the PF?

Probably look old and wrinkled in no time.

#1656 33 days ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Yup I've seen the same issue with games with washers too. So now they've pushed the damage out further, which then decrease the distance from the ball. I think the ones with washers are going to start peeling away faster.

Agreed, more liklely the ball will roll into the lifting CC and chip it away

#1657 33 days ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

With the obvious problems with the clear coat and art work de-laminating with pressure, what do you suppose the new Elvira is going to look like in short order with the right side VUK kicking the ball out to the middle of the PF? I have a hunch that the center of that PF is going to start peeling post haste. Then it will start chipping, and more peeling as the ball rolls over it.

It’s one of the reasons I can’t understand the thinking behind that VUK, our playfields are soft as shit, hell why don’t we make like a mini cannon and fire balls directly at it!? GENIUS!!

From the gameplay videos it also seems beyond pointless, name a game with standups down the side of the playfield that don’t get hammered directly off the flippers or off the slings/general gameplay? Shooting balls across the playfield into the trunk would have been ace or a wireform anything but a “crater maker”.

#1658 33 days ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Hate to say it.. so were all mine out of the box.
It seems to happen at the posts where the ball hits them full on.
Good luck you may have a good one.

Great, something to look forward to. Adds a whole new level to NIB pinball ownership.

#1659 32 days ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

No, not widespread at all Stern.
My IMDN LE has it, Musters LE and looks like my BK3 LE is starting to pool, will check my SW later.

Thanks for the feedback. We have 2 games that have it, MUNLE and IMDNLE.

I am not sure what our plan will be yet. I think this is long term issue going forward. I do believe most of the pooling will eventually chip out but I think it will take a long time in a home environment.

#1660 32 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Just inboxed a March 19 built Deadpool Premium and the Playfield is perfect.

I hope it all works out for you and you do not have any issues. We strip and check every NIB game we buy, ours were perfect too when we unboxed them.

#1661 32 days ago

deleted

#1662 32 days ago

New Stern balls for your Elvira

foamballs (resized).jpg
#1663 32 days ago

No pooling or chipping on my nib hockey yet...

83860DC5-70D4-4E47-8C79-61AE4FD77EAF (resized).jpeg
#1664 32 days ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

No pooling or chipping on my nib hockey yet...[quoted image]

You live in a bubble.

#1665 32 days ago

No pooling or chipping on my nib hockey yet...[quoted image]

Looks nice !

#1666 32 days ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

I don't see how ANY playfield, no matter what it's painted with, is going to withstand that type of damage from a misinstalled or misdesigned ballguide. That damage those ballguides caused, and I agree its ugly, would happen on ANY playfield when a metal edge ball guide is torgued down that hard. They needed to install a washer at those ball guide rods to avoid that, to raise that metal edge so that it no longer digs into the playfield.
Incorrectly installed ball guides causing damage to playfields has been going on since they started being used. While I 100% agree Stern & JJP have had some serious artwork and clearcoat issues, one could have used the most expensive clearcoat/paint in the world and not prevented a ballguide doing damage like that when it's misinstalled.

I should have clarified in the original post, but those pics are taken of two different machines (one being a machine I previously owned, and the other from another poster on Pinside). I know that I didn't adjust/tighten the ball guides in my game in any way, shape, or form.

I saw pictures of the damage to the other game, and immediately went to check the ball guide by the katana lock on my game, and that's when I noticed the start of similar wear/damage. My game had less than 300 plays, and was HUO for what it's worth.

DP is a fantastic game that I was really enjoying. The ONLY reason I sold it was due to the poor quality of the playfield. I also think the new Elvira game looks like it has loads of potential, but I'm not touching a new Stern until they figure their shit out.

#1667 32 days ago

I have never had a clearcoat issue with Stern. However, I have had other issues. At first I would call, be on hold for maybe 5-30 minutes, and the tech that would answer would either be really nice and helpful, or just a total dick. The only time they ever asked me for a pic was a defective lock down bar. They were awesome with that, after they seen the pic, even asked if I could change it myself or if they needed to send someone. I said I can take care of it, thanks very much.

Then on another NIB 2 weeks old a rubber broke that would require a whole lot of taking stuff apart to get to and I wanted the help I had declined with the bar they totally ignored me and I hired a pro to take care of it.

My personal experience with Stern was they have been awesome 50% of the time, and have sucked 50% of the time. And a lot more than just the couple things I listed above. On the phone it is the same way, 50-50 chance the next tech that answers is nice and helpful, or a dick.

Right now I really like AP. They are here on pinside answering questions and being helpful. It is a shame Stern can not do that and have someone here taking care of problems.

I was holding out for a JJP future release that would be a widebody and as awesome as POTC, but after I read all this Oktoberfest stuff and seeing AP interacting here on Pinside I went with that, and I am 100% happy I did.

IMO Stern is just too big and does not care anymore. 50% of the time they were awesome with my stuff, but that is a failing grade. And I was never picky, I only contacted them when the problem was too bad the game was not playable and I could not do the repairs myself...and still under warranty anyway.

I am very glad I have the Stern games I have, and I am sure I will enjoy them for years to come. I am done with their NIB though, only 50% of the time they honored warranty stuff when a game was messed up, and that was way before the pooling etc., going on now.

#1668 32 days ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

C'mon everyone, we all know how capitalism works, don't we? ... ever increasing profit margins and ever increasing cut corners and exclusions all while the price rises. Nothing unexpected, they don't make 'em like they used to. Real quality wood, and taking the time and care required for superior quality product have gone to the wayside, so that things can continue on the essential growth curve! . Capitalism is just the best isn't it!
I made the choice never to buy another new in box stern after the horrendous dimpling that happened to my n.i.b. ACDC Prem VE. It warranted a replacement Decent playfield in my opinion, but I was brushed of by the stern dealer along with the likes of the man Steve himself who claimed it was "normal". Besides if the playfield was replaced it would just be the same s#it quality p/f to replace it. I sold the POS, I would get another as I think it's a great game, but I will buy an original run that has a playfield made with more care and decent hard wood. Also bonus get a propper backbox latch, backbox, and real lockdown reciever. Stern especially have taken Cheap and Nasty to the Next level from all that I've seen. They out do everyone else for cheap, by leagues. What operator is going to be keen to buy a new JP2 that does not eat the ball? . It's the main attraction and what everyone expects from JP... may as well keep the old one or buy a Premium... or was that the plan... less pro's?
Venting sequence complete!

Well, luckily the difference in price for the moving head and an extra up-post is 'only' $1500 (Or €2200 here in Europe)

#1671 31 days ago

BBB is a Joke, IMO. That said, Stern has a better rating than JJP or Pinball Sales.com

#1672 31 days ago
Quoted from MrBally:

BBB is a Joke, IMO. That said, Stern has a better rating than JJP or Pinball Sales.com

Actually you’re right about BBB.

#1673 31 days ago
Quoted from MrBally:

BBB is a Joke, IMO.

I once had a exterminator giving me the run around about finishing a job I had already paid in full for. My BBB claim got his butt back in gear.

#1674 31 days ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I once had a exterminator giving me the run around about finishing a job I had already paid in full for. My BBB claim got his butt back in gear.

So he was extorted, I mean he paid, to join the BBB and then tried to weasel out on work. Glad it helped you be made whole.

#1675 31 days ago

No pooling or chipping on my nib hockey yet...

Check out the playfield in my 1956 Williams 4 Bagger De Luxe. None of that here either.
DSCN6435 (resized).JPG

#1676 31 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Check out the playfield on my 1956 Williams 4 Bagger De Luxe. None of that here either.[quoted image]

I love those old baseball games, such a blast to play.

#1677 31 days ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I love those old baseball games, such a blast to play.

It's a good one! Really adds something to the garage game room.

It has a formica playfield top similar to the countertops in the Brady Bunch kitchen. Pretty tough stuff.

#1678 31 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's a good one! Really adds something to the garage game room.
It has a formica playfield top similar to the countertops in the Brady Bunch kitchen. Pretty tough stuff.

Looks like a brand new game.

#1679 31 days ago

Unboxed JP today. Only reason I’m buying NIB is for route.

11922D21-263A-4492-A634-25EE270BD091 (resized).jpeg64740302-53C8-4C2E-BA6B-BA40FA1CA3F6 (resized).jpeg6868884D-1E42-4DC1-A2EC-5E06C9451C03 (resized).jpeg

#1680 31 days ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Not today's new games But it does play like new

I was thinking about going with a United Star Slugger as that thing is like the king of pitch and bat's.

But as far as EMs, I'm mostly a Williams guy, and this is a very handsome machine and has most of the features I was looking for. Also after the 50s, most of them lost the ramps and replaced the scoring holes with the less desirable hanging flaps at the back of the playfield. I did a lot of homework on these before buying one.

#1681 31 days ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Any progress yet with your playfield issues?

#1682 31 days ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Haven't hear anything yet. Will be calling soon

#1683 31 days ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to my nightmare. We feel your pain.

C3BDF5F8-76BF-411A-B40F-96E764C1318C (resized).jpeg
#1684 31 days ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think it will take some time like with ghostbusters. Hopefully they will get it corrected and replace some playfields.

#1685 31 days ago

I have 2 Munsters with worse bubbles than this new JP.

Attached is why everyone is worried about these bubbles. This pic is of my Iron Madien and what these bubbles will turn into with heavy play.

0EE2EA00-8BDC-4FCB-B934-D627A2B5F83A (resized).jpeg
#1686 31 days ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

my Iron Madien and what these bubbles will turn into with heavy play.

OUCH!

#1687 31 days ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Problem is, you are kinda the reason Stern doesn't care, because you dont care.

#1688 31 days ago

On the plus side it does leave a nice smooth solid foundation to put the posts back onto.

#1689 31 days ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Problem is, you are kinda the reason Stern doesn't care, because you dont care.

Where did I say I don't care? I said

Quoted from Chrizg:

Only reason I’m buying NIB is for route.

This was meant to mean I wouldn't be touching NIB if I didn't have to. I need pins for route and new releases are sometimes a must. I am working with my dist to get these playfields replaced.

#1690 31 days ago

Just curious Chrizg, since you do route a lot of newer games, how's the node board situation been lately?

#1691 31 days ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Where did I say I don't care? I said

This was meant to mean I wouldn't be touching NIB if I didn't have to. I need pins for route and new releases are sometimes a must. I am working with my dist to get these playfields replaced.

Is the market that tough that you have to have the newest on route?

#1692 31 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just curious Chrizg, since you do route a lot of newer games, how's the node board situation been lately?

I've had one node board fail that wasn't generating 48v on Aerosmith that I had to buy. One of my Star Wars had all the boards fail when it was new due to a code update or something (don't recall, others had this issue) that Stern took care of. I am happy so far with them holding up and only one failure so far. Not happy that one board is 200+ to replace and is not cost effective to send the bad board to Stern for repair.

#1693 31 days ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Is the market that tough that you have to have the newest on route?

I buy based on theme and older titles only come up so often in my area and I buy those when I can. I have 74 pins out currently with more expansion coming in the future so need more pins.

#1694 31 days ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

I buy based on theme and older titles only come up so often in my area and I buy those when I can. I have 74 pins out currently with more expansion coming in the future so need more pins.

Cool, hope your distro and or Stern takes care of a repeat customer.

#1695 31 days ago

Just announced, Harley Davidson #2, with bikes "molded" into the PF! Innovation right there!!

Sinking harleys (resized).jpg
#1696 31 days ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Don't like English ale huh? Taste better than Bud, Miller, Coors, or any of that other piss water

Wow, you have actually tasted urine? You are one crazy guy! Enjoy!

#1697 31 days ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

I have 2 Munsters with worse bubbles than this new JP.
Attached is why everyone is worried about these bubbles. This pic is of my Iron Madien and what these bubbles will turn into with heavy play.[quoted image]

My Iron Maiden did this on the exact same post in around 600 plays. I’m waiting on Stern’s response...

AECEBB6E-2D29-4E5F-B2D9-653E86877A36 (resized).jpeg
#1698 31 days ago
Quoted from J85M:

As soon as I saw the pictures of washers I knew it was a snap reaction, trying to spread out the surface area of the post by adding a larger washer was never going to fix this simply delay it and like you said above do nothing but make the clearcoat wrinkling spread out wider and the damaged area larger

Can someone post the picture of the washers making the pooling worse. I was going to put some on but rethinking it now.

#1699 31 days ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Can someone post the picture of the washers making the pooling worse. I was going to put some on but rethinking it now.

Go to the Jurassic park thread and you will see plenty pics of it.

#1700 31 days ago

I just got a new JPLE and it has the no-art circles and a much thinner clear, but still glossy.
So far it looks like this will fix the problem, absolutely no signs of pooling so far.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
There are 2719 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 55.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside