IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 185.
#1551 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I hear that, but it is still good to have one if you ever go to sell the game.
Plus with an unpopulated playfield there are no posts screwed onto it yet, so chances are it will look good as long as it isn't ever installed.

"Comes with brand new additional playfield. Additional playfield is for display only."

#1552 4 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Has that picture been posted in the elvira official thread? They might want to see that

Isn’t that playfield only relevant if it was produced after Stern changed to their new “no art near the posts” way of producing playfields? Given they have a video for it, I’d be thinking strongly that the playfield in question was made the same way as the other defective ones and that (fingers remain crossed) the issue has been resolved.
Everyone’s still waiting to hear from the newest Jurassic Park LE owners for confirmation, as I understand it?

#1553 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

their new “no art near the posts” way of producing playfields

lol
download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#1554 4 years ago

Truth is if anybody's new Elvira game turns out to be a house of horror,

isn't that exactly what they signed up for in the first place?

#1555 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

I don't see how ANY playfield, no matter what it's painted with, is going to withstand that type of damage from a misinstalled or misdesigned ballguide. That damage those ballguides caused, and I agree its ugly, would happen on ANY playfield when a metal edge ball guide is torgued down that hard.

Ballguides making contact with the PF wearing the paint... yes... old as time.

Ballguides causing the clear-coat to wrinkle, and chip away... no, new to the clear issues of recent times. Old PFs would just wear at the spot and form a lip that could be chipped if you tried very hard. But adhesion made that very hard to break away much material. Here, this is nearly a cm worth of width away from the contact point. Not the old normal.

It's why the art change is only a quick and dirty attempt.. it doesn't address the problem anywhere else things are putting pressure on the topcoat.

#1556 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's why the art change is only a quick and dirty attempt.. it doesn't address the problem anywhere else things are putting pressure on the topcoat.

The solution is simple, just put clear channels under anything that is putting pressure on the playfield.

#1557 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

The solution is simple, just put clear channels under anything that is putting pressure on the playfield.

I was thinking of a simpler solution.

Go back to using quality materials and the tried and true method.
download (2) (resized).jpgdownload (2) (resized).jpg

#1558 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was thinking of a simpler solution.
Go back to using quality materials and the tried and true method.
[quoted image]

Amen
Seems like this is what Spooky did which is bad optics for those who decide not to do so and still have subpar PFs

#1559 4 years ago

Sure, it would seem quality ink or paint would have an easier time adhering to quality, well prepared wood than metal, and the car industry doesn't seem to have a real problem with their clear coats and paint that can withstand minor dents and flexing, and all kinds of weather over time, so the stuff is obviously available.

Isn't that what Diamond Plate was, a derivative of automotive clear coat?

Sounds too easy, doesn't it.

#1560 4 years ago

I feel like everybody on pinside has drank the Stern Kool-Aid and has forgotten about playfield issues besides this thread.

How could Stern possible address the issue fully in a few weeks.

Wait a new pin... Squirrel!

#1561 4 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

I feel like everybody on pinside has drank the Stern Kool-Aid and has forgotten about playfield issues besides this thread.
How could Stern possible address the issue fully in a few weeks.
Wait a new pin... Squirrel!

Because it has been made clear that they DID make some changes. It remains to be seen if all problems are now solved, so we wait optimistically.
(As opposed to taking a conspiracy theory approach and suggesting that their leaked info was intentional and that it came from someone at Stern who thought it would trick everyone into buying games with defective... Good grief man. Get a grip.)

#1562 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Because it has been made clear that they DID make some changes. It remains to be seen if all problems are now solved, so we wait optimistically.
(As opposed to taking a conspiracy theory approach and suggesting that their leaked info was intentional and that it came from someone at Stern who thought it would trick everyone into buying games with defective... Good grief man. Get a grip.)

Hmmm... so you missed the hi-res pic of the Elvira PF with the nicely sinking post? Good 'ole hard clear doesn't let things sink right into it like that.

#1563 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

This is the biggest threat pinball has ever faced. If these manufacturers do not fix this problem VERY SOON they will lose so much business the industry will never recover. So I guess it’s all now up to how bad these businesses want to survive. It sucks too because it comes at a time when the innovations in pinball have been so exciting. It just takes the wind right out of you.

This will hurt stern and JJP but my JPLE refund is back in the account for trips, experiences, or the next butter cab game from Spooky pinball. Gorgeous damn thing. Stern may tank some but the others, American, CGC, Spooky, others are going to get a nice little bump.

#1564 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Hmmm... so you missed the hi-res pic of the Elvira PF with the nicely sinking post? Good 'ole hard clear doesn't let things sink right into it like that.

Nope, I saw that too. But the regular Pinside naysayer/Stern bashers are a little too quick to assume that this was made recently, in my opinion.
From what I've read on here, the first "corrected" playfields were received last Friday? If that's accurate, it's highly likely that the Elvira playfield was made before that. (They had time to complete a video on it, and take press release photos, right?)

I'm just saying that the new playfields are already in Pinsiders homes so let's wait to hear from them to see if the problems are fixed, instead of assuming that they aren't.

#1565 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Nope, I saw that too. But the regular Pinside naysayer/Stern bashers are a little too quick to assume that this was made recently, in my opinion.
From what I've read on here, the first "corrected" playfields were received last Friday? If that's accurate, it's highly likely that the Elvira playfield was made before that. (They had time to complete a video on it, and take press release photos, right?)
I'm just saying that the new playfields are already in Pinsiders homes so let's wait to hear from them to see if the problems are fixed, instead of assuming that they aren't.

You sound like a Stern apologist.

If Stern would come out and state the issue was addressed, we wouldn't have to guess.

#1566 4 years ago

In the HEP thread, Chris said that recent playfields from Mirco have had soft clear. He fixes by sanding off as much of the clear as possible and then recoating with his own hard clear. Clearly much caution is warranted if one is considering a nib purchase.

Cheers.

#1567 4 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

You sound like a Stern apologist.
If Stern would come out and state the issue was addressed, we wouldn't have to guess.

Riiiiiiiight. If you’re not bashing Stern, you’re an apologist.
People like you make Pinside the LEAST pinball-friendly site there is.

Considering your collection doesn’t contain a single Stern title, you “Sir”, sound like a troll.

#1568 4 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

Like they are going to announce the recall of all the boxed up games sitting at distributors waiting to be delivered too?

#1569 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Not necessarily. The artwork is still not adhering properly to the wood. Over time, maybe the issues could get a lot worse.

I like you are hoping the playfield manufacturer is on top of the issues but I doubt it. I think there is a new playfield process in play and maybe the artwork is like a thin vinyl wrap and it is not adhering to the wood.

#1570 4 years ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

In the HEP thread, Chris said that recent playfields from Mirco have had soft clear. He fixes by sanding off as much of the clear as possible and then recoating with his own hard clear. Clearly much caution is warranted if one is considering a nib purchase.
Cheers.

My jjp playfields are mostly dimple free too . Not sure if that's bc of the wood or clear but overall I'm happy with them

#1571 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Riiiiiiiight. If you’re not bashing Stern, you’re an apologist.
People like you make Pinside the LEAST pinball-friendly site there is.
Considering your collection doesn’t contain a single Stern title, you “Sir”, sound like a troll.

I have two pins right now, one is a Iron Maiden Pro.

Grow up...

#1572 4 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

I have two pins right now, one is a Iron Maiden Pro.
Grow up...

Maybe it’s time to update your collection.

Out of curiosity, how is your maiden playfield doing?

#1573 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Like they are going to announce the recall of all the boxed up games sitting at distributors waiting to be delivered too?

Yeah no kidding. What a joke. Buy a JP pro good chance if it’s old stock then oops.

#1574 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Yeah no kidding. What a joke. Buy a JP pro good chance if it’s old stock then oops.

Yeah, and they are just going to throw away the stacks of playfields already made for the premiums and the Elviras.

#1575 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Hey I HOPE they have it under control. Just surprised to see it in their own promo pics.

In a perfect world Stern, JJP OR Mirco would pay a big insurance deductible to be able to dump the entire batch. Maybe then write it off as a business expense... but somehow that doesn't seem too likely. But maybe... who knows. They do seem to be finally taking it a little more seriously.

Not sure what this means for all the resellers that have to burn through old stock that they've already paid for though...
maybe these companies have a way to make their dist happy also. You'd think they'd have to.

See how optimistic I am? 'Course I'm a little hammered at the moment

#1576 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

In a perfect world Stern, JJP OR Mirco would pay a big insurance deductible to be able to dump the entire batch. Maybe then write it off as a business expense... but somehow that doesn't seem too likely.

Sure, but then their insurance premiums go up and the end user ends up paying $8000 for a premium and $12000 for an LE and we all know nobody on pinside would ever put up with that nonsense

#1577 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Truth is if anybody's new Elvira game turns out to be a house of horror,
isn't that exactly what they signed up for in the first place?

How people can consider EHOH with the PF issues is mystifying. Like the quality issues will magically fix themselves.

#1578 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

How people can consider EHOH with the PF issues is mystifying. Like the quality issues will magically fix themselves.

Shit don't matter to some people.

They aren't worried about every little detail or what they will lose when they sell it. They just want a new game, and will take it any way it comes. Some of us seem a little anal to them.

I try to look at both sides of the picture, but on the other hand, I put too much effort into anything I do to accept poorer quality than I'm used to. I'm too frugal to buy everything brand new, but when I do, it better be the best they are capable of. I won't accept less for my money.

#1579 4 years ago

What do those of you with experience with clear coat think about using a playfield protector? Forgetting about the benefits or wisdom of having one (or not), would/should using a protector prevent/stop/reduce playfield pooling or chipping?

#1580 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

What do those of you with experience with clear coat think about using a playfield protector? Forgetting about the benefits or wisdom of having one (or not), would/should using a protector prevent/stop/reduce playfield pooling or chipping?

not really.. the pf protectors don't go under hardware except in limited circumstances. they float on the PF and just sit 'around' everything

#1581 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Shit don't matter to some people.
They aren't worried about every little detail or what they will lose when they sell it. They just want a new game, and will take it any way it comes. Some of us seem a little anal to them.
I try to look at both sides of the picture, but on the other hand, I put too much effort into anything I do to accept poorer quality than I'm used to. I'm too frugal to buy everything brand new, but when I do, it better be the best they are capable of. I won't accept less for my money.

I'm happy were in a market where people throw stupid money at these unproven games, and then get bored after a few months and sell them at a discount....I see no reason to roll the dice on new in box games anymore (unless CGC decides to remake IJ or WW)....

#1582 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

We have a playfield protector on every game we own. The playfield protector does nothing to stop the pooling that I can tell. I believe the playfield issue is that the artwork is not adhering to the wood properly. The ball hits the posts, guides and anything applying pressure to the playfield then moves and bunches the artwork underneath the protector. The clear stretches as much as it can and then chips out.

#1583 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We have a playfield protector on every game we own. The playfield protector does nothing to stop the pooling that I can tell. I believe the playfield issue is that the artwork is not adhering to the wood properly. The ball hits the posts, guides and anything applying pressure to the playfield then moves and bunches the artwork underneath the protector. The clear stretches as much as it can and then chips out.

I was thinking can playfield protector save the day? But you just answered my question.

I hope those manufacturers can find a way to improve their playfield quality. In the meantime I will start playing my Nintendo Switch with my kids but I still believe pinballs are more fun than video games.

659C632D-6548-4B7E-8949-C1D499FEDBEB (resized).jpeg659C632D-6548-4B7E-8949-C1D499FEDBEB (resized).jpeg
#1584 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Maybe it’s time to update your collection.
Out of curiosity, how is your maiden playfield doing?

Pooling is starting on a couple posts. Build date July 2018.

#1585 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I know you're half kidding but I'm thinking Stern only thinks this is being brought up by a few vocal pinheads. There are a lot of us, who are not so vocal, that are waiting for this issue to be properly addressed.
I can't believe I'm saying this but, at this point, I can't wait to see what deeproot has in store for us.

I don't hope Deeproot already have some pile of playfields in stock that are digital printed for the first 3 games.
Deeproot can't deliver screenprinted playfield for the (low) price point i think.

#1586 4 years ago

I just got my new Elvira Pin, or rather spent my money I saved for Elvira on a CGC game. Much happier.

20190917_161512 (resized).jpg20190917_161512 (resized).jpg
#1587 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

I just got my new Elvira Pin, or rather spent my money I saved for Elvira on a CGC game. Much happier.[quoted image]

what is wrong with MUN and Maiden?

#1588 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

I don't hope Deeproot already have some pile of playfields in stock that are digital printed for the first 3 games.
Deeproot can't deliver screenprinted playfield for the (low) price point i think.

Guaranteed Deeproot will be hardtop.

#1589 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

what is wrong with MUN and Maiden?

Let's play a guessing game before Talon2000 tells us. I'm guessing node boards.

#1590 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

I just got my new Elvira Pin, or rather spent my money I saved for Elvira on a CGC game. Much happier.[quoted image]

Played a Monster Bash CGC locally and thought it was well done.

#1591 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

LOL.. What's wrong with them is they are Stern games. They can't be used they will fall apart. Poor little Snowflake machines.

I got a new machine with some Balls.

#1592 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I am going with one of the following

Flipper coil stops imploded
Ramp optos on Maiden
Munster mini pf issues
pulling apart to add washers for pf post issues
node board issues
gi bulb shorting issues

#1593 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am going with one of the following
Flipper coil stops imploded
Ramp optos on Maiden
Munster mini pf issues
pulling apart to add washers for pf post issues
node board issues
gi bulb shorting issues

Could be any, could be all.

#1594 4 years ago

So I preordered a Jurassic Park Premium but wanted to get some time in on a Pro at a local bar. I’m now noticing it isn’t there anymore. I wonder if they had to pull it because of play field issues. Getting worried about this purchase to say the least. I sold my other games to free up $ and to make room for this game.

#1595 4 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

So I preordered a Jurassic Park Premium but wanted to get some time in on a Pro at a local bar. I’m now noticing it isn’t there anymore. I wonder if they had to pull it because of play field issues. Getting worried about this purchase to say the least. I sold my other games to free up $ and to make room for this game.

If I were you I would cancel that pre-order as fast as I could until I saw proof of the problem being corrected. These games are too damn expensive and I work too damn hard for my money to buy some piece of sh*t where the art bubbles up and/or chips off. No thanks!

#1596 4 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

The only reason a bar will puill a pin is if the coin slot stops working!

#1597 4 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

If I were you I would cancel that pre-order as fast as I could until I saw proof of the problem being corrected. These games are too damn expensive and I work too damn hard for my money to buy some piece of sh*t where the art bubbles up and/or chips off. No thanks!

I was thinking I’d see what the LE owners have to say before I send a check.

#1598 4 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

I was thinking I’d see what the LE owners have to say before I send a check.

That should be a good plan as long as they don't have a stack of premium playfields already run they are going to assemble on. I wouldn't think they would do that but this is Stern we are talking about...

#1599 4 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

Cancel it. Save money. Go on a trip or something

#1600 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The only reason a bar will puill a pin is if the coin slot stops working!

Or the CPU board died and the game won’t turn on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/32?hl=tbutler6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.