IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 185.
#1501 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Do you have pics?

609290A6-95AC-4608-B12D-B62318AC5787 (resized).jpeg609290A6-95AC-4608-B12D-B62318AC5787 (resized).jpeg74E12069-F098-496D-9375-94A86E3BC798 (resized).jpeg74E12069-F098-496D-9375-94A86E3BC798 (resized).jpegADB517DB-8CEA-4199-98EF-8F3EAB7EA3E2 (resized).jpegADB517DB-8CEA-4199-98EF-8F3EAB7EA3E2 (resized).jpegB059F911-5529-4379-B68F-ABCCA0E44CEB (resized).jpegB059F911-5529-4379-B68F-ABCCA0E44CEB (resized).jpegDBEBD77B-B22A-40D9-BEBC-FD410EE2C627 (resized).jpegDBEBD77B-B22A-40D9-BEBC-FD410EE2C627 (resized).jpeg
#1502 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

From what I read JJP originally offered new pf for 550$ and then changed it to free pf. People that had already paid the 550$ were contacted and given refunds.

Unpopulated (crazy to expect a customer to attempt this), and haven't seen any posts showing the replacements were any better.

How have the pin(s) that really brought the issues in our faces w almost a total fail rate and low, low plays been forgotten?....JJP POTC...good grief

#1503 4 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thats one seriously ruined playfield

#1504 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Yeah, I thought DPs were supposed to be good, darn.

#1505 4 years ago

Seems like Sterns playfield problems started in 2015 with a batch of Met pros and have gotten worse.

#1506 4 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

That playfield is rooted.

#1507 4 years ago

Regardless of the twitch streamers (which i love!) and the distros; dont buy this shit anymore. Sucks because i like the three distros i have used in the past but when i see them singing Facebook praise for the next new pins to pump hype-Its like you guys love pinball! You wouldnt buy this shit now? Would you...?

I know, i know, its a buisness and way if life...rant over.

#1508 4 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

The more I look at shit like this, the more I think this is a screen print issue. Mirco has spent a shit ton of money on a new screen print process and is too far in to admit any liability.

#1509 4 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

That is just shit. I really feel for you, nothing worse in this hobby than playfield issues. We visited an arcade while we have been on holidays, every Stern built after late 2017 had playfield issues. 6 games (Beatles, GOTG, ACDC, MUN, JP2, BKSOR) all in one place all having playfield issues. Not a good statistic.

Have you let Stern know? What did they say?

#1510 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

If anyone who has reported these issues to Stern in recent weeks gets anything other than radio silence (like I have) please share it here.

It took several calls to Stern after initial email with pictures. I was told that QC has determined this to be Normal. That the clear is solid and hard (which it's not, it's a frigging blister) To which I was told to send in more pictures showing that I could press down on the affected areas, which I did, and sent video. Nothing back. I will be calling again.

However I was also told that many people are calling about this (as they should be).

#1511 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

But Stern said this wasn’t widespread.............

#1512 4 years ago

What was being done differently in the 90's?

Adam's Family sold 20,000 pins for example, so I question if production speed is the issue.

My SS was routed and definitely took a beating but the playfield is immaculate...maybe they need to go back to mylar?
Or use that whole playfield protector overlay thing?

I was going to buy a DP and JP. I don't know what to do now...

#1513 4 years ago

Another thought...can we get replacement playfields and clearcoat them ourselves?

#1514 4 years ago

Anybody considering a class action lawsuit?

#1515 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

From what I read JJP originally offered new pf for 550$ and then changed it to free pf. People that had already paid the 550$ were contacted and given refunds.

He phoned a few. A few people mention this and everybody assumes he's called everybody and is taken care of. A few have even mentioned they haven't received their refund for the PoTC playfield they had to *pay for* because JJP wouldn't initially back their product.

There is evidence in the PoTC thread (and others) that many haven't been called and cases are still open/no reply/etc.

#1516 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Unpopulated (crazy to expect a customer to attempt this), and haven't seen any posts showing the replacements were any better.
How have the pin(s) that really brought the issues in our faces w almost a total fail rate and low, low plays been forgotten?....JJP POTC...good grief

It really seems hit or miss/luck of the draw - for many of these games.

On my PoTC LE, I have some minor pooling but I've addressed it and overall it looks very nice. My BM 66 prem has zero pooling/blistering/etc after thousands of plays. But it dates from early 2017.

#1517 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

This is correct.

#1518 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

It took several calls to Stern after initial email with pictures. I was told that QC has determined this to be Normal. That the clear is solid and hard (which it's not, it's a frigging blister) To which I was told to send in more pictures showing that I could press down on the affected areas, which I did, and sent video. Nothing back. I will be calling again.
However I was also told that many people are calling about this (as they should be).

honestly, it took probably 5 months of monthly pictures, calls, and emails. They have said they would replace, but that was over 6 weeks back and still no replacement has shown up.

If customers want this to be fixed then I suggest daily polite calls to both your distributor and Stern directly. Let them know you are not satisfied with the product and wont be buying more until they properly resolve this for you. Follow up with an email each day to document the phone call and give more photos.

They seem to have some threshold of "acceptable" which is far beyond what pretty much any customer deems acceptable for a NIB game. After the most recent frustration of being strung along for months, then being told they would replace, and still no replacement has arrived; I think their threshold is that you have to show blistering/ bunching in multiple areas that cant be hidden with a metal washer and show cracking/lifting of art.

#1519 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Quoted from Jvspin:

I don't see how ANY playfield, no matter what it's painted with, is going to withstand that type of damage from a misinstalled or misdesigned ballguide. That damage those ballguides caused, and I agree its ugly, would happen on ANY playfield when a metal edge ball guide is torgued down that hard. They needed to install a washer at those ball guide rods to avoid that, to raise that metal edge so that it no longer digs into the playfield.

Incorrectly installed ball guides causing damage to playfields has been going on since they started being used. While I 100% agree Stern & JJP have had some serious artwork and clearcoat issues, one could have used the most expensive clearcoat/paint in the world and not prevented a ballguide doing damage like that when it's misinstalled.

#1520 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Has anyone actually seen proof that anyone received a refund yet?

-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

#1521 4 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Anybody considering a class action lawsuit?

Sadly but honestly I think this is what it is going to take for any widespread action to happen.

#1522 4 years ago

Promo photos of Elvira. Already shows blistering!!

FB_IMG_1568824770767 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1568824770767 (resized).jpg
#1523 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Promo photos of Elvira. Already shows blistering!![quoted image]

Whelp, no complaining aboot it after buying it now!!!

#1524 4 years ago

Can't say they weren't warned.

But hey, what do you want for $15,000 these days.

#1525 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Can't say they weren't warned.
But hey, what do you want for $15,000 these days.

That's simple - Three "A-list" players pins. No more new in box for me.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1526 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

No more new in box for me.

I was talking about that with a buddy the other day.

We decided we will go play them wherever they are, but let the owners of them deal with the crappy playfields and expensive node boards.

We prefer to lead stress free lives. Slows the aging process.

#1527 4 years ago

My friend was promised a Batman 66 playfield, it's going to happen but his wait for it is 9 months already

Quoted from Whysnow:

honestly, it took probably 5 months of monthly pictures, calls, and emails. They have said they would replace, but that was over 6 weeks back and still no replacement has shown up.
If customers want this to be fixed then I suggest daily polite calls to both your distributor and Stern directly. Let them know you are not satisfied with the product and wont be buying more until they properly resolve this for you. Follow up with an email each day to document the phone call and give more photos.
They seem to have some threshold of "acceptable" which is far beyond what pretty much any customer deems acceptable for a NIB game. After the most recent frustration of being strung along for months, then being told they would replace, and still no replacement has arrived; I think their threshold is that you have to show blistering/ bunching in multiple areas that cant be hidden with a metal washer and show cracking/lifting of art.

#1528 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was talking about that with a buddy the other day.
We decided we will go play them wherever they are, but let the owners of them deal with the crappy playfields and expensive node boards.
We prefer to lead stress free lives. Slows the aging process.

Used pins have issues too, but Playfields are a critical part and shouldn't be crapping out new

#1529 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

That playfield is rooted.

In route to the dumpster

#1530 4 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Used pins have issues too, but Playfields are a critical part and shouldn't be crapping out new

Nothing on older used pins I haven't been able to figure out how to fix relatively cheap including the boards.

And you are always able to inspect those playfields for any wear or defects and decide if they are acceptable to you.

Expensive mystery box pinball machines are too much a crapshoot for me now.

#1531 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Now that’s all I needed to see. I’ll just watch from the sidelines as simps buy nib overpriced subpar quality games. This should be fun to watch over the next few months.

#1532 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Now that’s all I needed to see. I’ll just watch from the sidelines as simps buy nib overpriced subpar quality games. This should be fun to watch over the next few months.

Well I was going to wait a year or 2 till the code was done anyway.

#1533 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You really have to.

As I learned with both MET and BM66 is it's easy to tire of these games quickly without ever seeing them finally completed.

I'd rather tire of them quickly after they are actually done or close to done.

#1534 4 years ago

Obvious pooling on a high resolution marketing picture. At a time when everyone is complaining about playfields. How tone deaf can you get, Stern?

#1535 4 years ago

But... it's a formula that works...

#1536 4 years ago

Was saying for a while it seems like the artworks is part of the problem. Why isn't it staying attached to the board regardless of clear softness? Is it really both problems at once? Statistically unlikely and how do you f up 2 things so badly at once?

Still no word from Stern. If you're buying now I really don't understand where your head is at.

#1537 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Why isn't it staying attached to the board regardless of clear softness? Is it really both problems at once? Statistically unlikely and how do you f up 2 things so badly at once?

I figure they start with cheap wood, then add cheap ink, and top it off with cheap clear. So that is three elements. Then you throw in the who gives a shit factor and that makes it four.

#1538 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But... it's a formula that works...

I know you're half kidding but I'm thinking Stern only thinks this is being brought up by a few vocal pinheads. There are a lot of us, who are not so vocal, that are waiting for this issue to be properly addressed.

I can't believe I'm saying this but, at this point, I can't wait to see what deeproot has in store for us.

#1539 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

I don't see how ANY playfield, no matter what it's painted with, is going to withstand that type of damage from a misinstalled or misdesigned ballguide. That damage those ballguides caused, and I agree its ugly, would happen on ANY playfield when a metal edge ball guide is torgued down that hard. They needed to install a washer at those ball guide rods to avoid that, to raise that metal edge so that it no longer digs into the playfield.
Incorrectly installed ball guides causing damage to playfields has been going on since they started being used. While I 100% agree Stern & JJP have had some serious artwork and clearcoat issues, one could have used the most expensive clearcoat/paint in the world and not prevented a ballguide doing damage like that when it's misinstalled.

I've adjusted lane guides on pins and there was no wear, I'm not quite sure what misinstalled or misdesigned would mean other than the ball doesn't go where you want it to?

The issue is not just with lane guides either on these pins.

I just removed my very well routed SS apron to install a shooter lane Cliffy. There was a little wear at one spot under the front edge, but it was under the edge completely. Nothing coming off in the surrounding area. I've owned maybe 25 used pins (and most routed player's condition) and I've never seen any artwork issues around lane guides even those that needed adjustment as they had moved over time. No lost artwork around posts either. This SS had a lot of broken stuff (including a slightly bent post at the crate), obviously tons of plays, yet an immaculate playfield, even where not mylared.
I've seen a lttle wear at ramp flaps on a rare occasion, but no surrounding art breaking off.

And I am talking pins that are decades old. The damage issue discussed is happening at my friend's location in as little as one week (Wonka one week, but with Sterns too) and it's not due to something installed slightly off, or loose, or designed wrong...just manufactures sending out crap and knowing they are (because it's obvious by a simple visual inspection when it's not right).

These are dark times for purchasing JJP and Stern pins. My guess is even those that do not show obvious defects out of the box will probably wear out too soon.

I guess it's up to people if going forward they want to risk it, but I need to tell my distributor and Stern I'm not buying the 2 NIB Stern pins I had budged for the next year. I don't know what to do, I'm not currently interested in any other pins (not Stern) currently out there. Maybe I'll just wait for positive change, just be happy with what I have and play other people's self-distructing pins.

#1540 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I can't believe I'm saying this but, at this point, I can't wait to see what deeproot has in store for us.

As long as it's Sledge Hammer!, I'm enthused.

#1541 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Well that's a pisser. I was literally about to put down a deposit with GEX on a premium. Damn! Thanks for pointing that out.

#1542 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well "wait until issues are resolved" didn't work out for the IM Premium I just got.

#1543 4 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I was literally about to put down a deposit with GEX on a premium. Damn!

There are a lot of people that still are despite all the warnings.

Let the bitching begin!

#1544 4 years ago

Has that picture been posted in the elvira official thread? They might want to see that

#1545 4 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Has that picture been posted in the elvira official thread? They might want to see that

Wouldn't do any good. They have all been warned anyway.

Some are blinded by any new shiny box of lights.

#1546 4 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

It's definitely happening with Munsters. Pictures from some of the problem areas on my Munsters Pro below. These issues were present immediately after unboxing.
I have also seen in-person similar bubbling/lifting on other Munsters Pros and LEs so mine is not an isolated case.
No chipping yet. Fingers crossed. Hesitant to move my outlane posts for fear of chipping/new bubbling.
I personally think it comes down to an ink/wood adhesion issue, not a clearcoat issue. Maybe a clearcoat over artwork reaction. There's no artwork under the sling posts on Munsters and the clear is not lifting under those. And if you take a close look at the outlane posts, it only seems to be lifting where there is artwork, not where there's only wood with clear over it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Robert have you experienced any chipping yet?

#1547 4 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Well "wait until issues are resolved" didn't work out for the IM Premium I just got.

So at what point were these issues actually "resolved"?

#1548 4 years ago

This is the biggest threat pinball has ever faced. If these manufacturers do not fix this problem VERY SOON they will lose so much business the industry will never recover. So I guess it’s all now up to how bad these businesses want to survive. It sucks too because it comes at a time when the innovations in pinball have been so exciting. It just takes the wind right out of you.

#1549 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So at what point were these issues actually "resolved"?

Let me rephase that. Because IM was released so long ago, I figured that code and mechanical / electrical etc... bugs were all worked out as is hopefully / normally (?) the case with a pin after it's been inproduction for sometime. Even playfield issues (for example I'm glad there is a later model protector - stainless steel - on the playfield behind the jump ramp). But obviously I've been blindsided by this clearcoat/artwork/wood fiasco.

As for resolution, I have no info other than some people say they are getting replacement playfields at a discount or free, and that my friend's free one has not shipped in 9 months.

But unpopulated playfields don't work well at all for me for a variety of reasons in a practical or financial manner.

Anyways, sorry for my confusing text

#1550 4 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

But unpopulated playfields don't work well at all for me for a variety of reasons in a practical or financial manner.

I hear that, but it is still good to have one if you ever go to sell the game.

Plus with an unpopulated playfield there are no posts screwed onto it yet, so chances are it will look good as long as it isn't ever installed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.50
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/31?hl=vinnie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.