IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 185.
#851 4 years ago

I own or have owned most all of the Sterns released in the last 15 years, and thankfully haven’t experienced any of
these issues. Life is good!

#852 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Agreed, but just "pooling" isn't an issue. Chipping yes.

Pooling is a sign of the issue and it can lead to chipping in some cases. Seems like a majority of people in this JP for sale thread are saying that pooling is an issue / defect and a game shouldn't be described as "flawless" with it. The clear coat pooling we are seeing now around posts, especially sling posts, wasn't occuring a couple years back so something changed with the way playfields are now being made.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-jurassic-park-pro-2

#853 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

How about moving forward with a Stern JP or any Stern purchase as well for $6k - $9k? Stern games seems just as susceptible to this issue. A variety of Stern titles made over the past 2 years have had the issue as reported as well.

I stated that I’ve canceled my JPLE and that my Munsters LE has pooling. I still have my Munsters Premium which appears flawless at this time.

#854 4 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

I have all three remakes. I have not had any playfield problems. Hope they get this fixed. I was going to get JP prem.

Ditto here on my AFNr: Perfect. Interestingly, I'm almost positive my Houdini (June 2018) has a Mirco - no issues.

#855 4 years ago

10 month ago everybody downvoted this hahaha.
Some say its normal 26 votes up!!!!.
This is what you get, sticking your head in the sand.
softer wood, cheaper (digital) printing, water base clear.
We go back to the 80's now where you can buy a second hand blank pinball machine for almost nothing afther 3 years.

And next month we get some new aftermarket firstclass playfields with best wood money can buy screenprinted and 90's clear made in a place with no
restrictions.

Screenshot_20190904_035126_com.android.chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190904_035126_com.android.chrome (resized).jpg
#856 4 years ago

I find it curious that this weeks Head2Head podcast talks at length about "cleargate" and Jersey Jack..... but does not mention the widespread issues with Stern? . The only time Stern is mentioned, is that they have "historic" playfield issues, whatever that means. Jurassic park not mentioned once, nor any other Stern title presenting with the issues. It felt like a JJP bashing episode.

I guess it is possible I'm missing something. ... Do they have an "agreement" with Stern?

The claim was made also, that Mirco produce Stern playfields, which as far as I have researched is false.

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I find it curious that this weeks Head2Head podcast talks at length about "cleargate" and Jersey Jack..... but does not mention the widespread issues with Stern? . The only time Stern is mentioned, is that they have "historic" playfield issues, whatever that means. Jurassic park not mentioned once, nor any other Stern title presenting with the issues. It felt like a JJP bashing episode.
I guess it is possible I'm missing something. ... Do they have an "agreement" with Stern?
The claim was made also, that Mirco produce Stern playfields, which as far as I have researched is false.

This is correct. As far as I understand it-CGC screen printed until Aerosmith timeframe. Then Stern in house. Agree with your other points too.

#858 4 years ago

I was listening to it just feeling like something was totally off... out of touch with facts, can't work out if it is due to ignorance, bias, or some other directive. Way too much inaccurate information and misguided analysis. Curious that the week before was an episode devoted entirely to JP2....

#859 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I was listening to it just feeling like something was totally off... out of touch with facts, can't work out if it is due to ignorance, bias, or some other directive. Way too much inaccurate information and misguided analysis. Curious that the week before was an episode devoted entirely to JP2....

That's very unfortunate to hear, by showing a biased towards Stern it also shows a lack of integrity. Theres no way they missed all of the reports of the same issue occurring on Stern JP games.

#860 4 years ago

I’m ready to start celebrating pinball (and drinking-while playing) again. If we get some new info on this can we rename the thread OP?

#861 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

10 month ago everybody downvoted this hahaha.
Some say its normal 26 votes up!!!!.
This is what you get, sticking your head in the sand.
softer wood, cheaper (digital) printing, water base clear.
We go back to the 80's now where you can buy a second hand blank pinball machine for almost nothing afther 3 years.
And next month we get some new aftermarket firstclass playfields with best wood money can buy screenprinted and 90's clear made in a place with no
restrictions.[quoted image]

Not everyone thought that was normal. Only the most vocal.

#862 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I noticed the same thing actually. Honestly there's only a small number of podcasters that I feel give honest, unbiased opinions at this point. You need to choose your words carefully when you need interviews or have friends at certain companies. The podcasts without these conflicts are the ones I prefer.

#863 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I thought that too. Glad I'm not the only one

#864 4 years ago

Naptha to clean bare wood, 2 coats Varethane Interior Gloss, uv inkjet printing, finish clear coats. Do not know what the other major pinball playfield producers are doing!

#865 4 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Naptha to clean bare wood, 2 coats Varethane Interior Gloss, uv inkjet printing, finish clear coats. Do not know what the other major pinball playfield producers are doing!

Doesn't Varethane (Polyurethane?) turn yellow in time? Or are there new formulations that don't yellow now?

#866 4 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

The sorcerer playfield I got from you still looks great. No dimples, no chipping, after a few years of play.

#867 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Doesn't Varethane (Polyurethane?) turn yellow in time? Or are there new formulations that don't yellow now?

epoxy turns yellow with uv-lighting. Normally polyurethane can protect. Polyurethane is to my knowledge more flexible and resistant, but requiers more to set, there cant be moisture etc.

I think if you go epoxy, you have to have a non-flexible surface below, atleast that´s the case with flooring.

#868 4 years ago

I spoke to stern about the playfield problem and that I was afraid off order the premium JP after all the problems with the pro. They told me that they always working to get better qvality and that he was sure that the premiums would have no problems. Sorry for my bad english.

#869 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

epoxy turns yellow with uv-lighting. Normally polyurethane can protect. Polyurethane is to my knowledge more flexible and resistant, but requiers more to set, there cant be moisture etc.
I think if you go epoxy, you have to have a non-flexible surface below, atleast that´s the case with flooring.

I use epoxy on my homebrew machines.
IT CRACS when it is to hard like my first machine.
My second has a new mix epoxy that stays oke.
The third machine wil have the epoxy AND a 1mm macralon mylar with no cutouts unther the post so it won't crack (to hard) or sink(to soft) the post.

Like i said before, a NEW MODEL macralon 1 mm (playfield protector) mylar that covers al post on the playfield wil keep your playfield new and won't sink your posts or crack the clear or dimples your plafield.

#870 4 years ago

delete.

#871 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I noticed the same thing actually. Honestly there's only a small number of podcasters that I feel give honest, unbiased opinions at this point. You need to choose your words carefully when you need interviews or have friends at certain companies. The podcasts without these conflicts are the ones I prefer.

I can't speak for Martin but the focus of this may have been more JJP focused because the guests, Mrs. Pin and Dr. Pin, actually own a Wonka.

#872 4 years ago

Munsters has no artwork under the sling posts. Has anyone seen a Munsters with pooling in that area?

#873 4 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

I can't speak for Martin but the focus of this may have been more JJP focused because the guests, Mrs. Pin and Dr. Pin, actually own a Wonka.

I considered that, but listening to the first part a second time (which I couldn't help since I couldn't believe the inaccurate statements I was hearing), the issue was definitely "skirted around", like the elephant in the room. Unless you've been under a rock the Stern issue can not be ignored.... . Unless there is a specific reason to ignore it...

Also "The Pins" issue sounded to be minor... yet the JJP and Mirco bashing went on regardless. Not a word really about Stern at all, who seem to be the mob with the more widespread problem, based on the evidence submitted, and what I have seen on local Stern games here. We haven't even seen any JP's here yet, that is sure to be interesting when those boxes arrive....

#874 4 years ago

If I was JJP I would tell Mirco that playfields should be made exactly how Hobbit playfields were made. Playfields on The Hobbit are the best quality Mirco has ever put out in my opinion. Dimpling is low (still happens but not as severe as we see today), and the playfield doesn't appear to wear at all as an HUO owner. Hell, I saw a heavily routed operated Hobbit without Cliffy's and the playfield still looked great.

What's sad is those Hobbit playfields were made at a time when JJP nearly went out of business and before the new owners took over. JJP playfield quality, and general quality control, has gone down since the WOZ and Hobbit days yet prices have gone way up!

#875 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I can't really answer that. I see a few Stern's on his channel from time to time, but not Spooky's or JJP's. I mostly buy my games from Pinsiders on the Market Place. ; )

Look at his prices, would you buy from him?
https://tntamusements.com/inventory/pinball-machines/

He comes off as a used car salesman anyway...

#876 4 years ago
Quoted from Aetos:

I spoke to stern about the playfield problem and that I was afraid off order the premium JP after all the problems with the pro. They told me that they always working to get better qvality and that he was sure that the premiums would have no problems. Sorry for my bad english.

My distributor is speaking to them also I don’t want to except a machine with washers underneath the posts and haven’t got an answer on that yet.

#877 4 years ago

my GOT pro has chipping under one sling post. it was preordered in 2015 i think? so this goes back years now.

#878 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Look at his prices, would you buy from him?
https://tntamusements.com/inventory/pinball-machines/
He comes off as a used car salesman anyway...

I actually really enjoy his videos...they were very helpful when I first got into this hobby....I do agree that his prices are typically on the high side, which would be fine if you were local to his shop as he does provide services.

#879 4 years ago

FWIW, I’ve got about 60 games on my Aug 21 JP2. I looked under one of the star post washers, and there are no signs that it had ever been there (no outline). It’s still too soon to mean anything, but I’m hopeful that this means my clear is hard. I’m keeping the washers in place for now, just in case.

#880 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I looked under one of the star post washers, and there are no signs that it had ever been there (no outline)...

Did you check the upper flipper post? That;'s the only place I've found on mine

#881 4 years ago

Progress pics. Here's my Wonka SE. Both of my lower slingshot star posts have blistered and chipped. I have blistering on most of the rest of the play field as well. Pretty much any post that's screwed into the field.

1900 plays. I took possession of the pin on July 18th, and the pin sat unplayed for more than a week while I waited for replacement opto boards. So basically 5 weeks of service.

-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

left-post (resized).jpgleft-post (resized).jpgright-post (resized).jpgright-post (resized).jpgpost3 (resized).jpgpost3 (resized).jpgpost4 (resized).jpgpost4 (resized).jpgpost5 (resized).jpgpost5 (resized).jpgpost6 (resized).jpgpost6 (resized).jpgpost7 (resized).jpgpost7 (resized).jpgpost8 (resized).jpgpost8 (resized).jpgpost9 (resized).jpgpost9 (resized).jpg

#883 4 years ago

I'm trying to find the humor in your post. Really, I am.

#885 4 years ago

Getting closer. But still not funny.

#886 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Did you check the upper flipper post? That;'s the only place I've found on mine

I can feel the tiniest little ridge with my thumbnail at the back of the post, but I can’t see it. I may put a slightly larger washer there.

#887 4 years ago

They are a crisis in the making, that's for sure.

#888 4 years ago

Levi should know better than to open the door for hackneyed middle-aged political jokes. I'm one Buttigieg pun away from my eyes rolling a complete 360°.

#889 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I can feel the tiniest little ridge with my thumbnail at the back of the post, but I can’t see it. I may put a slightly larger washer there.

Yeah I couldn't really tell myself, more of a feel.

#890 4 years ago

Believe me, no one knows more about clear coat than me.

#891 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I'm trying to find the humor in your post. Really, I am.

This seems like an attempt to get this thread locked based on politics.

#892 4 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

This seems like an attempt to get this thread locked based on politics.

Let's dial it back a notch. You really have to go nutty to get a thread locked on here, and I'm okay with that. If the mods have an issue, the appropriate users will be moderated.

#893 4 years ago

Still waiting for the Steve Richie in sunglasses video saying this is normal and has always been acceptable. Again.....

#894 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

This isn't new though. They have always pandered to the self serving interests of the local minority hierarchy down here since episode one.

Homepin getting so much puff piece podcast air time and mileage on an international stage when a majority of Aussie collectors knew about his dubious backstory is another example.

#895 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Still waiting for the Steve Richie in sunglasses video saying this is normal and has always been acceptable. Again.....

Lol. Good one.

#896 4 years ago

I just talked with Jersey Jack about my POTCLE playfield. I have a small amount of chipping and purchased a replacement playfield thru the warranty process at half cost about 2 months ago. I was happy with that, I put the updated posts on which covered up the small chips plus I had a new playfield to swap some day down the line. Well, Jack explained that this was not an expected outcome of production and that he wanted to make it right by refunding me the price that I paid for the playfield ($550). He also pointed out that the people that have swapped playfields have not reported any issues with their new playfields.

#897 4 years ago

So some actual good news! I had the issue with the playfield as well and purchased the new one at cost like many have described.

Today I got a call from Jack, hes refunding me for the playfield cost. So my replacement playfield is free. Completely unsolicited call, just called me out of the blue.

Was nice for him to call, and I feel made whole. sure I'll have to do a playfield swap at some point. But this feels right.

Good on jjp.

#898 4 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

So some actual good news! I had the issue with the playfield as well and purchased the new one at cost like many have described.
Today I got a call from Jack, hes refunding me for the playfield cost. So my replacement playfield is free. Completely unsolicited call, just called me out of the blue.
Was nice for him to call, and I feel made whole. sure I'll have to do a playfield swap at some point. But this feels right.
Good on jjp.

Ditto... beat u to the post

#899 4 years ago

Glad to see positive outcomes from JJP buyers.

Let’s see what Stern does.....

#900 4 years ago

Where's Stern with this? I just paid in full for a replacement.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/18?hl=lounge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.