IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 185.
#9151 1 year ago
Quoted from Returner:

Ghosting inserts and tiny white lines around them will happen on most playfield as the wood shrinks and expand over time. But it should not happen on brand new playfields, even Stern admitted this with the Ghostbusters and replaced all the affected playfields.
Sterns clearcoat process has changed a lot sinse this thread was started, it's becums thinner and thinner. Now it looks just like the first thin mist layer you put down before you fully clear. No one knows how this playfields will hold up in the long run yet.
I'll rather thake a JJP playfield with minor crackling/chipping around posts than Sterns ribbing, warping, concave or convex, just look at the plywood Stern is using compared the other manufacturers.

I do not believe you are right. I have had several Sterns in the past 24 months, some are perfect, some are not, some have very thick clears (which is not good really).
Unless an insert is protruding, or cracking, I really do not care... These machines are not pieces of art, they are to be enjoyed played and make money.

Do I want to have a perfect PF? sure, but it is not realistic as wood expands, and things happen. We are lucky modern machines no longer use incandescent flashers as those things would burn almost any insert and the heat these use to produce accelerated wear dramatically...

Ghosting today is nothing compared to what the issues back then were. Some PF are more problematic than other.

That said, clear coat thickness does not seem to be important and in fact I would say that it would promote issues when applied too thick.

#9152 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

That said, clear coat thickness does not seem to be important and in fact I would say that it would promote issues when applied too thick.

And still I find machines with a thick coating from the early 90s that were routed till only a year ago that have (after a good polish) near perfect playfields, compared to barely played Led Zeppelin with ghosting and a cratered surface looking like the moon. I don't know what Stern is doing about it but it is not working.

#9153 1 year ago
Quoted from Bumper:

And still I find machines with a thick coating from the early 90s that were routed till only a year ago that have (after a good polish) near perfect playfields, compared to barely played Led Zeppelin with ghosting and a cratered surface looking like the moon. I don't know what Stern is doing about it but it is not working.

I have own many 90s in the last few years including an indiana jones with 60.000 plays documented up until 1997.
If you believe those playfields didn't dimple you are incorrect. The dimple and chip like any other.

Clear coat back then was harder yes, nothing to do with pinball but different prohibitions to save the ozone layer blah blah, but also very cloudy and did not reflect light like today’s clear. Pf are way nicer now, clear is thicker and very transparent.

I also had up until not long ago, a NOS never used clearcoated williams pf. Clear was thiner than paper and it looked not bad, but not great either. Needed 100% another coat of clear.

Really, other than silkscreening there is really nothing to envy about old processes.

It is playfield not a mona lisa. Play it.

#9154 1 year ago
Quoted from Bumper:

And still I find machines with a thick coating from the early 90s that were routed till only a year ago that have (after a good polish) near perfect playfields

I suggest you check out some of HEPs latest videos on Youtube. He just did one on restoring/repairing an original IJ playfield, and you can clearly see a ton of dimpling, some ghosted inserts, chipping inserts, etc. The 90s didn't have some magic formula for wood that was harder than steel.

#9155 1 year ago

Here's my SW Premium from the latest run with about 50 plays. The chip is to the wood. Sterns respons is tobsend a clear touch up kit. I already put a dab a clear Gorrila glue over it. I'm guessing The stuff in the hole is clear that driped over and didn't adhere properly. I'll use Sterns stuff on that when it gets here.

20220919_071252 (resized).jpg20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
#9156 1 year ago

I feel stuff like that is fairly negligible. You can't expect them to replace your playfield for that. Maybe the drop target is a smidge low and that's helping cause the damage?

#9157 1 year ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Here's my SW Premium from the latest run with about 50 plays. The chip is to the wood. Sterns respons is tobsend a clear touch up kit. I already put a dab a clear Gorrila glue over it. I'm guessing The stuff in the hole is clear that driped over and didn't adhere properly. I'll use Sterns stuff on that when it gets here.
[quoted image]

this is really not an issue sorry. Most likely because the clear was too thick there, it chipped off. It also happens on the out hole below the flippers. If you are still concerned after doing the repair below just add a cliffy (overkill).

If you lightly sand with 2000 grit and apply 1K clear (with a paint pen or clear nail polish even), let dry for 1 day, and it will be rock hard. Surely, it is annoying but this does not warrant a PF swap in my opinion.

#9158 1 year ago

After the repair cures, you could mylar over that area and trim the drop target opening with a brand new razor sharp x-acto blade. Or snip the corners and fold the mylar flaps down into the hole, protecting the transition area. I've done that around outholes.

#9159 1 year ago

I'm not overly bothered by it. I just don't want it to get worse. Other than the chip the other stuff was like that out of the box. Shit happens when there's a steel ball banging away on wood. Does cliffy make a protector for the drop targets on SW? I would do that.

#9160 1 year ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

I'm not overly bothered by it. I just don't want it to get worse. Other than the chip the other stuff was like that out of the box. Shit happens when there's a steel ball banging away on wood. Does cliffy make a protector for the drop targets on SW? I would do that.

He usually has a protector for all 3 drop banks, I am sure he has something for this one.

#9161 1 year ago

I'm still waiting for the Toy Story 4 reports of delaminating and pooling Playfields. I find it really; odd, that there haven't been any reports yet.

#9162 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm still waiting for the Toy Story 4 reports of delaminating and pooling Playfields. I find it really; odd, that there haven't been any reports yet.

They finally pulled the art away from the posts, so you probably won't.

#9163 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Well maybe because they fixed the BS?

How about that?

Either way, not giving a shit about the PF I sold my TS for a loss. Adios.

#9164 1 year ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Besides the first batch of GNR , playfields have been great , no issues and the tiniest of dimpling .

#9165 1 year ago

Good to hear; but, they don't get a pass from me... yet. As we know; Mirco can and will find a way to screw the customer.

#9167 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Besides the first batch of GNR , playfields have been great , no issues and the tiniest of dimpling .

Did they remove the art from under the posts

#9168 1 year ago

Not on any of the runs of GNR to my knowledge.

#9169 1 year ago

No , on GNR the artwork goes up to the posts but they do remove it around the holes .
I did JINX it though , after posting , someone in the GNR thread said they had some pooling on a late game and removed the post and the artwork came off . Besides that , issues after the first batch very rare .
I took these pictures tonight after almost 1000 plays and everything looks good , even around the scoop .
I tried to get some pictures of the dimpling on the Playfield but they're so small they don't show up .

IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpgIMG20221008031914 (resized).jpgIMG20221008032533 (resized).jpgIMG20221008032533 (resized).jpgIMG20221008033119 (resized).jpgIMG20221008033119 (resized).jpgIMG20221008034651 (resized).jpgIMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
#9170 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

No , on GNR the artwork goes up to the posts but they do remove it around the holes .
I did JINX it though , after posting , someone in the GNR thread said they had some pooling on a late game and removed the post and the artwork came off . Besides that , issues after the first batch very rare .
I took these pictures tonight after almost 1000 plays and everything looks good , even around the scoop .
I tried to get some pictures of the dimpling on the Playfield but they're so small they don't show up .
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cracks in the clear coat?

Capture2 (resized).PNGCapture2 (resized).PNG
#9171 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

Cracks in the clear coat?
[quoted image]

No , just some dust in a tricky place to get to .
One little spot I couldn't get to with what I had , now that's going to annoy me

IMG_20221008_211349 (resized).jpgIMG_20221008_211349 (resized).jpg
#9172 1 year ago

Stardust

#9173 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

No , just some dust in a tricky place to get to .
One little spot I couldn't get to with what I had , now that's going to annoy me
[quoted image]

Wait so you can polish a turd?!?

#9174 1 year ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

Whatever makes you feel good mate .

#9175 1 year ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

Lol that was terrible sorry can't lob me a big juicy softball like that but I'm glad your game is okay!

3 weeks later
#9176 1 year ago

Can someone send me the link or instructions on how to level the turntable.? It’s tilts forward and balls get stuck on the lower edge- thanks

#9177 1 year ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

Can someone send me the link or instructions on how to level the turntable.? It’s tilts forward and balls get stuck on the lower edge- thanks

If you're talking about GNR , loosen the big white washer/ nut underneath and get it in position and tighten it , easy peasy .

1 month later
#9178 1 year ago
Quoted from ARTofAWD:

Just recieved my NIB JP Prem made mid July and there is one area on the play field that looks very dull compared to the rest. Closer inspection it's like steel wool was rubbed all over the little dinosaur with millions of fine scratches. Very disappointing. In the picture you can see there is almost no marks around the reflection of a light on the right hand side, but swirl marks galore around the left. I'll contact Stern tomorrow to see what they tell me.
[quoted image]

My Godzilla Premium has a similar dull spot where it looks as if someone in the factory has tried to fix a tiny defect by using something abrasive on a way larger area than they needed to. Hopefully it’ll buff right out!

#9179 1 year ago
Quoted from the4horse:

My Godzilla Premium has a similar dull spot where it looks as if someone in the factory has tried to fix a tiny defect by using something abrasive on a way larger area than they needed to. Hopefully it’ll buff right out!

I had a led zep prem like that.
Polish cream and my trusty D/A polisher made it look perfect in 3 min.

4 months later
#9180 9 months ago

Here we go again! $7k - $13k quality.

Pinside_forum_7592500_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7592500_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7592500_1 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7592500_1 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7592500_2 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7592500_2 (resized).jpg

#9181 9 months ago

Oh wow. More like 4500 pro 6400 premium price point quality in my opinion. Even if it didn’t look like shit, that is all these node games price point should be ,period! Stern quality is not what it once was unfortunately and not going back to it either .

Until they decide to pass on the savings to us consumers having went the Node board route. I am out of any and all stern purchases. No more nodes . Fk nodes, they went cheap and raised prices . Lmao

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

#9182 9 months ago
Quoted from PinFever:Oh wow. More like 4500 pro 6400 premium price point quality in my opinion. Even if it didn’t look like shit, that is all these node games price point should be ,period! Stern quality is not what it once was unfortunately and not going back to it either .
Until they decide to pass on the savings to us consumers having went the Node board route. I am out of any and all stern purchases. No more nodes . Fk nodes, they went cheap and raised prices . Lmao

And yet people will fall over each other to buy their next release & the next & the next regardless of quality.

#9183 9 months ago
Quoted from gjm:

And yet people will fall over each other to buy their next release & the next & the next regardless of quality.

We have never had an unresolved issue with Stern.

#9184 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Hope so. There's still people waiting 2+ years for a TMNT replacement playfield due to a similar issue...

#9185 9 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So much for QC. Nice job Stern.

#9186 9 months ago

let's say you do !. It is the price.!!!.
One day we can hope speculation buying stops. Most people that are buying every new title are profit Whores !
but with no real meat left on the bone that is collapsing too.. 7k obo on a LOW play HUO Star Wars Premium .. 5.3k On a Bond pro .. ST pro 5.1 k .. lol Backwards -Not Going UP ---- Going Down

#9187 9 months ago
Quoted from PinFever:

let's say you do !. It is the price.!!!.
One day we can hope speculation buying stops. Most people that are buying every new title are profit Whores !
but with no real meat left on the bone that is collapsing too.. 7k obo on a LOW play HUO Star Wars Premium .. 5.3k On a Bond pro .. ST pro 5.1 k .. lol Backwards -Not Going UP ---- Going Down

If you want to treat pinball like an investment strategy expect boom and bust cycles.

We buy games because we love em. We have been buying NIB Stern site unseen for over 10 years.

#9188 9 months ago

And this is why manufacturers get away with this. No blame--I have fallen into the same trap...

But it's the Pinside M.O. for someone to post about a negative experience, and then for someone to chime in with "xxx or yyy is amazing, I've never had any issues!" All the while, ignoring the myriad of folks that HAVE had issues...

I will give you, that anecdotally Stern (largely due to its distributors) has fared better than most. But let's not lose sight of the fact there are numerous folks on this forum with many unresolved issues, including an increasing number of poor bastards with bricked Spike I games because there are no replacement node boards to be had (nor even documentation which would allow for repairs).

#9189 9 months ago

I’m approaching 3 years with an open ticket for my replacement PF. We hit the 2.5yr mark recently, I have an active RMA number, and to their credit they have been communicating… but it still doesn’t change the fact that this is still unresolved. Glad you’ve had better luck.

#9190 9 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hope so. There's still people waiting 2+ years for a TMNT replacement playfield due to a similar issue...

Mmm hmmm.

#9191 9 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I’m approaching 3 years with an open ticket for my replacement PF. We hit the 2.5yr mark recently, I have an active RMA number, and to their credit they have been communicating… but it still doesn’t change the fact that this is still unresolved. Glad you’ve had better luck.

We have had stuff take years as well. Stern and our distro have always come good. Spare Parts are a different story..

#9192 9 months ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

And this is why manufacturers get away with this. No blame--I have fallen into the same trap...
But it's the Pinside M.O. for someone to post about a negative experience, and then for someone to chime in with "xxx or yyy is amazing, I've never had any issues!" All the while, ignoring the myriad of folks that HAVE had issues...
I will give you, that anecdotally Stern (largely due to its distributors) has fared better than most. But let's not lose sight of the fact there are numerous folks on this forum with many unresolved issues, including an increasing number of poor bastards with bricked Spike I games because there are no replacement node boards to be had (nor even documentation which would allow for repairs).

This thread is about playfield issues.

There is documentation on Stern Node Boards but that is a completely different thread.

You can choose to enjoy the hobby or you can choose to complain about it.

#9193 9 months ago

i treat it like a loaf of bread . and the price of bread may be up but not from 5100 for a new in box maiden that went to 6999 , or my 4500 kiss pro and Game of thrones Pro / 9k for two shipped to my door from JJ at Gamers Exchange . Ok .. No . Pinball is not an investment to me .i Am not playing a market ,more or less a Fischer price speak and spell and paying a super computer price . Ok . got it? and at these prices u now pay they need to give you a better product or replace them broken boards/parts faster and for free in i say 3 year warranty at the least . but you do not / this is what burns me .

#9194 9 months ago

This thread is about playfield issues.
There is documentation on Stern Node Boards but that is a completely different thread.
You can choose to enjoy the hobby or you can choose to complain about it.

You said you never had any unresolved issues from Stern.

I simply pointed out there are many unresolved issues from folks, originating from many problem sources, including playfields and node boards to name two. I assumed you pointing out that you had no issues--in a playfield thread--was meant to imply folks shouldn't worry because Stern always makes issues right. They don't.

Easy to say just to enjoy the game when you haven't had any problems...

Stern is a great manufacturer, but I am always shocked when people feel the need to defend companies they have no affiliation with. If people complain, and there are improvements that result, do you not benefit?

#9195 9 months ago
Quoted from ARTofAWD:

Just recieved my NIB JP Prem made mid July and there is one area on the play field that looks very dull compared to the rest. Closer inspection it's like steel wool was rubbed all over the little dinosaur with millions of fine scratches. Very disappointing. In the picture you can see there is almost no marks around the reflection of a light on the right hand side, but swirl marks galore around the left. I'll contact Stern tomorrow to see what they tell me.
[quoted image]

Wet sand 2000 grit, then 3000.
Polish.

Sure it sucks you have to do this AND have the knowledge to fix it. It is a combo that it is sometimes not in everyones toolbox…

Very fixable, yet unfortunate considering the pricing.

Sterns are overpriced. Somebody has to pay Disney boy for his ideas.

#9196 9 months ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

You said you never had any unresolved issues from Stern.

I simply pointed out there are many unresolved issues from folks, originating from many problem sources, including playfields and node boards to name two. I assumed you pointing out that you had no issues--in a playfield thread--was meant to imply folks shouldn't worry because Stern always makes issues right. They don't.
Easy to say just to enjoy the game when you haven't had any problems...
Stern is a great manufacturer, but I am always shocked when people feel the need to defend companies they have no affiliation with. If people complain, and there are improvements that result, do you not benefit?

Do you have any playfield or node board issues?

Complaints can damage relationships if they are restless and uncompromising. No benefit there. Complainer just gets banned or barred.

#9197 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:Do you have any playfield or node board issues?

Yes.

Complaints can damage relationships if they are restless and uncompromising.

I agree, complaints can damage relationships, particularly when the issue goes unresolved, or continues as an open ticket for years.

No benefit there. Complainer just gets banned or barred.

Are you suggesting Pinside bans people for complaining about issues? Or that a manufacturer bars a customer from purchasing because they have valid compaints? I've never heard of either happening.

#9198 9 months ago

What is the complaint?
Did you buy the game new?
Stern or JJP?
What did your distro say?

#9199 9 months ago

What is the complaint?
Did you buy the game new?
Stern or JJP?
What did your distro say?

Not going to do this with you. For a person who is upset by people posting their problems, you seem awfully fixated on what my problems are or aren't. All the best to you. By your own advice--I hope you are enjoying the game, and your lack of problems!

7 months later
#9200 44 days ago

When did Stern alter the black outline thickness on the clear inserts for Star Wars?
First pic shows an Le (off-centre insert)
Second pic show later run premium
Seeing that the Le model is comprised of the first gen playfields, is it right to assume that all Le’s have varying degrees of this anomaly?

AC060B74-B84E-4C3C-9A87-454A9BFB2FC5 (resized).jpegAC060B74-B84E-4C3C-9A87-454A9BFB2FC5 (resized).jpegE51185C3-D30B-46BA-ABE3-0D2C1472D3FF (resized).jpegE51185C3-D30B-46BA-ABE3-0D2C1472D3FF (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
9,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Inver Grove Heights, MN
$ 16.00
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop
Men
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Shooter rods
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
10,524 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Folsom, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 300.00
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/184 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.