IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
20210922_145629 (resized).jpg
20210922_145635 (resized).jpg
20210922_145640 (resized).jpg
20210922_145649 (resized).jpg
20210922_145705 (resized).jpg
20210922_145611 (resized).jpg

There are 9,179 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 184.
#9151 4 months ago
Quoted from Returner:

Ghosting inserts and tiny white lines around them will happen on most playfield as the wood shrinks and expand over time. But it should not happen on brand new playfields, even Stern admitted this with the Ghostbusters and replaced all the affected playfields.
Sterns clearcoat process has changed a lot sinse this thread was started, it's becums thinner and thinner. Now it looks just like the first thin mist layer you put down before you fully clear. No one knows how this playfields will hold up in the long run yet.
I'll rather thake a JJP playfield with minor crackling/chipping around posts than Sterns ribbing, warping, concave or convex, just look at the plywood Stern is using compared the other manufacturers.

I do not believe you are right. I have had several Sterns in the past 24 months, some are perfect, some are not, some have very thick clears (which is not good really).
Unless an insert is protruding, or cracking, I really do not care... These machines are not pieces of art, they are to be enjoyed played and make money.

Do I want to have a perfect PF? sure, but it is not realistic as wood expands, and things happen. We are lucky modern machines no longer use incandescent flashers as those things would burn almost any insert and the heat these use to produce accelerated wear dramatically...

Ghosting today is nothing compared to what the issues back then were. Some PF are more problematic than other.

That said, clear coat thickness does not seem to be important and in fact I would say that it would promote issues when applied too thick.

#9152 4 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

That said, clear coat thickness does not seem to be important and in fact I would say that it would promote issues when applied too thick.

And still I find machines with a thick coating from the early 90s that were routed till only a year ago that have (after a good polish) near perfect playfields, compared to barely played Led Zeppelin with ghosting and a cratered surface looking like the moon. I don't know what Stern is doing about it but it is not working.

#9153 4 months ago
Quoted from Bumper:

And still I find machines with a thick coating from the early 90s that were routed till only a year ago that have (after a good polish) near perfect playfields, compared to barely played Led Zeppelin with ghosting and a cratered surface looking like the moon. I don't know what Stern is doing about it but it is not working.

I have own many 90s in the last few years including an indiana jones with 60.000 plays documented up until 1997.
If you believe those playfields didn't dimple you are incorrect. The dimple and chip like any other.

Clear coat back then was harder yes, nothing to do with pinball but different prohibitions to save the ozone layer blah blah, but also very cloudy and did not reflect light like today’s clear. Pf are way nicer now, clear is thicker and very transparent.

I also had up until not long ago, a NOS never used clearcoated williams pf. Clear was thiner than paper and it looked not bad, but not great either. Needed 100% another coat of clear.

Really, other than silkscreening there is really nothing to envy about old processes.

It is playfield not a mona lisa. Play it.

#9154 3 months ago
Quoted from Bumper:

And still I find machines with a thick coating from the early 90s that were routed till only a year ago that have (after a good polish) near perfect playfields

I suggest you check out some of HEPs latest videos on Youtube. He just did one on restoring/repairing an original IJ playfield, and you can clearly see a ton of dimpling, some ghosted inserts, chipping inserts, etc. The 90s didn't have some magic formula for wood that was harder than steel.

#9155 3 months ago

Here's my SW Premium from the latest run with about 50 plays. The chip is to the wood. Sterns respons is tobsend a clear touch up kit. I already put a dab a clear Gorrila glue over it. I'm guessing The stuff in the hole is clear that driped over and didn't adhere properly. I'll use Sterns stuff on that when it gets here.

20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
#9156 3 months ago

I feel stuff like that is fairly negligible. You can't expect them to replace your playfield for that. Maybe the drop target is a smidge low and that's helping cause the damage?

#9157 3 months ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

Here's my SW Premium from the latest run with about 50 plays. The chip is to the wood. Sterns respons is tobsend a clear touch up kit. I already put a dab a clear Gorrila glue over it. I'm guessing The stuff in the hole is clear that driped over and didn't adhere properly. I'll use Sterns stuff on that when it gets here.
[quoted image]

this is really not an issue sorry. Most likely because the clear was too thick there, it chipped off. It also happens on the out hole below the flippers. If you are still concerned after doing the repair below just add a cliffy (overkill).

If you lightly sand with 2000 grit and apply 1K clear (with a paint pen or clear nail polish even), let dry for 1 day, and it will be rock hard. Surely, it is annoying but this does not warrant a PF swap in my opinion.

#9158 3 months ago

After the repair cures, you could mylar over that area and trim the drop target opening with a brand new razor sharp x-acto blade. Or snip the corners and fold the mylar flaps down into the hole, protecting the transition area. I've done that around outholes.

#9159 3 months ago

I'm not overly bothered by it. I just don't want it to get worse. Other than the chip the other stuff was like that out of the box. Shit happens when there's a steel ball banging away on wood. Does cliffy make a protector for the drop targets on SW? I would do that.

#9160 3 months ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

I'm not overly bothered by it. I just don't want it to get worse. Other than the chip the other stuff was like that out of the box. Shit happens when there's a steel ball banging away on wood. Does cliffy make a protector for the drop targets on SW? I would do that.

He usually has a protector for all 3 drop banks, I am sure he has something for this one.

#9161 3 months ago

I'm still waiting for the Toy Story 4 reports of delaminating and pooling Playfields. I find it really; odd, that there haven't been any reports yet.

#9162 3 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I'm still waiting for the Toy Story 4 reports of delaminating and pooling Playfields. I find it really; odd, that there haven't been any reports yet.

They finally pulled the art away from the posts, so you probably won't.

#9163 3 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Well maybe because they fixed the BS?

How about that?

Either way, not giving a shit about the PF I sold my TS for a loss. Adios.

#9164 3 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Besides the first batch of GNR , playfields have been great , no issues and the tiniest of dimpling .

#9165 3 months ago

Good to hear; but, they don't get a pass from me... yet. As we know; Mirco can and will find a way to screw the customer.

#9166 3 months ago

#9167 3 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Besides the first batch of GNR , playfields have been great , no issues and the tiniest of dimpling .

Did they remove the art from under the posts

#9168 3 months ago

Not on any of the runs of GNR to my knowledge.

#9169 3 months ago

No , on GNR the artwork goes up to the posts but they do remove it around the holes .
I did JINX it though , after posting , someone in the GNR thread said they had some pooling on a late game and removed the post and the artwork came off . Besides that , issues after the first batch very rare .
I took these pictures tonight after almost 1000 plays and everything looks good , even around the scoop .
I tried to get some pictures of the dimpling on the Playfield but they're so small they don't show up .

IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpgIMG20221008032533 (resized).jpgIMG20221008033119 (resized).jpgIMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
#9170 3 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

No , on GNR the artwork goes up to the posts but they do remove it around the holes .
I did JINX it though , after posting , someone in the GNR thread said they had some pooling on a late game and removed the post and the artwork came off . Besides that , issues after the first batch very rare .
I took these pictures tonight after almost 1000 plays and everything looks good , even around the scoop .
I tried to get some pictures of the dimpling on the Playfield but they're so small they don't show up .
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cracks in the clear coat?

Capture2 (resized).PNG
#9171 3 months ago
Quoted from mostater:

Cracks in the clear coat?
[quoted image]

No , just some dust in a tricky place to get to .
One little spot I couldn't get to with what I had , now that's going to annoy me

IMG_20221008_211349 (resized).jpg
#9172 3 months ago

Stardust

#9173 3 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

No , just some dust in a tricky place to get to .
One little spot I couldn't get to with what I had , now that's going to annoy me
[quoted image]

Wait so you can polish a turd?!?

#9174 3 months ago
Quoted from BlakeWI:

Whatever makes you feel good mate .

#9175 3 months ago
Quoted from BlakeWI:

Lol that was terrible sorry can't lob me a big juicy softball like that but I'm glad your game is okay!

3 weeks later
#9176 3 months ago

Can someone send me the link or instructions on how to level the turntable.? It’s tilts forward and balls get stuck on the lower edge- thanks

#9177 3 months ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

Can someone send me the link or instructions on how to level the turntable.? It’s tilts forward and balls get stuck on the lower edge- thanks

If you're talking about GNR , loosen the big white washer/ nut underneath and get it in position and tighten it , easy peasy .

1 month later
#9178 45 days ago
Quoted from ARTofAWD:

Just recieved my NIB JP Prem made mid July and there is one area on the play field that looks very dull compared to the rest. Closer inspection it's like steel wool was rubbed all over the little dinosaur with millions of fine scratches. Very disappointing. In the picture you can see there is almost no marks around the reflection of a light on the right hand side, but swirl marks galore around the left. I'll contact Stern tomorrow to see what they tell me.
[quoted image]

My Godzilla Premium has a similar dull spot where it looks as if someone in the factory has tried to fix a tiny defect by using something abrasive on a way larger area than they needed to. Hopefully it’ll buff right out!

#9179 41 days ago
Quoted from the4horse:

My Godzilla Premium has a similar dull spot where it looks as if someone in the factory has tried to fix a tiny defect by using something abrasive on a way larger area than they needed to. Hopefully it’ll buff right out!

I had a led zep prem like that.
Polish cream and my trusty D/A polisher made it look perfect in 3 min.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 105.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 38.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 9,179 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 184.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!