IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 162 of 185.
#8051 3 years ago

Whats the best way to handle a chipped playfield under warranty?

One small chip no pooling.

Get loud act out, or be polite and professional?

#8052 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Tell your distributor and then follow up constantly. In my experience, they won't do anything unless you constantly bother them.

#8053 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Send stern an email, if it’s a new game they will prob send you a playfield

#8054 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:Only a matter of time before chipping starts... on at least a dozen posts... including upper pf. some are worse and a few better than images shown. Build Jan 21... bout 100 plays. Some post areas have already chipped
I must say recent sterns I've bought are quite solid... much improved and about as good as you can get with playfields these days. Still average... but better.
JJp... you can eat a tip truck full of dicks. What's the point of having an awesome game if the playfield is crap.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Holy fuck that's a shitty job. Is there ANY quality assurance going on??

JJP-wow (resized).jpgJJP-wow (resized).jpg

Please tell me you're sending this back.

#8055 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Send stern an email, if it’s a new game they will prob send you a playfield

Thanks it is a JJP CE machine.

I should have said that in my post, seems JJP has great customer service so I was wondering what they will do?

#8056 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I should have said that in my post, seems JJP has great customer service so I was wondering what they will do?

For a CE at $12,500 I would hope they either take the game back or send you a fully populated playfield. There's no excuse for this chipping / pooling BS at these insane prices.

#8057 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

For a CE they might do something

#8058 3 years ago

I'm thinking that the number of units involved in their 'buy-back' customer satisfaction program could be quite small mainly due to the shipping, costs and processing involved. It's their last resort I am sure. And if the number of machines is a mere handful, I am guessing they would get the machines back to the factory, and then re-work the damage, perhaps with simple touchup and washers, and then make those machines available through non-traditional sales programs (i.e. employee purchase, top salesrep incentive programs, etc.) Too bad that quality control issues with their main source of income is problematic this far down the road.

It's pretty noteable that any manufacturer would offer to make you 100% whole on a big ticket item like this.

#8059 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I'm thinking that the number of units involved in their 'buy-back' customer satisfaction program could be quite small mainly due to the shipping, costs and processing involved. It's their last resort I am sure. And if the number of machines is a mere handful, I am guessing they would get the machines back to the factory, and then re-work the damage, perhaps with simple touchup and washers, and then make those machines available through non-traditional sales programs (i.e. employee purchase, top salesrep incentive programs, etc.) Too bad that quality control issues with their main source of income is problematic this far down the road.
It's pretty noteable that any manufacturer would offer to make you 100% whole on a big ticket item like this.

Not JJP. They prefer to just string you along, tell you to "switch to decaf" and leave you hanging with a bare playfield that you have no possibility of installing yourself.

And before someone jumps in and gives me shit about someone's offer to swap my field, I'll remind you that even THAT process won't be free.

#8060 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

lol - please stop... get an iron man new in box, play 1800 balls the report back if you see dimples or not. Then report back in 3000 games.

was just reporting what i saw on location
I don't know the number of plays on their IronMan but they have had it for a long time and LZ is brand new

#8061 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Not JJP. They prefer to just string you along, tell you to "switch to decaf" and leave you hanging with a bare playfield that you have no possibility of installing yourself.
And before someone jumps in and gives me shit about someone's offer to swap my field, I'll remind you that even THAT process won't be free.

Why would a replacement playfield be any different quality? Probably wind up going through a shit-ton of work just to have it shit the bed again.

#8062 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Why would a replacement playfield be any different quality? Probably wind up going through a shit-ton of work just to have it shit the bed again.

I finally got a replacement jurassic Park playfield from Stern. Not sure when/if I'll ever get around to swapping it at this point as it came like 5 months later than it was supposed to, but at least the quality of the replacement looks better as far as I can tell. I really wish they'd look at the playfields before installing them... I wonder if some of them get damaged when building the machines. There's one or two spots on my original playfield that have little gouges that make me think a screwdriver or something nicked it or some tool was dropped. I doubt they're going to take it apart when they're halfway done if something like that happens.

#8063 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

It’s not the quality of the play field as much as it is the lack of craftsmanship putting it together (combined with not letting the clear rest long enough). Over tightening, no washers anywhere, etc can lead to unecessary damage

#8064 3 years ago

JohnTTwo is the chipped game a GNR CE?!

#8065 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I finally got a replacement jurassic Park playfield from Stern. Not sure when/if I'll ever get around to swapping it at this point as it came like 5 months later than it was supposed to, but at least the quality of the replacement looks better as far as I can tell. I really wish they'd look at the playfields before installing them... I wonder if some of them get damaged when building the machines. There's one or two spots on my original playfield that have little gouges that make me think a screwdriver or something nicked it or some tool was dropped. I doubt they're going to take it apart when they're halfway done if something like that happens.

I actually had an alert go off on my phone as it has been 6 months since I was promised a new TMNT PF from my distro. I can understand at the moment if the game isn’t being run... but there’s also an expectation that if you have a quality issue, they don’t get a decade to resolve it.

#8066 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

JohnTTwo is the chipped game a GNR CE?!

At this point I want to keep it between the dealer, JJP, and myself.

I did learn one very important thing today, I should have thought of. With the environment being a bigger concern and moving to water based crap I can understand how they can't make things like they use too.

#8067 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

With the environment being a bigger concern and moving to water based crap

What company is making playfields with water based clear?

#8068 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Let is sit for at least 5 months - maybe a year...if you ever decide to install it.
That clear will be rock solid by then.

#8069 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

I did learn one very important thing today, I should have thought of. With the environment being a bigger concern and moving to water based crap I can understand how they can't make things like they use too.

You will get absolutely no where with JJP, Barry will string you along and after months of telling you upper management and ownership is aware and he cant make the decision, the whole time he already knows you’re going to get screwed by JJP. He will tell you that he can send you washers to cover the damage. If you complain enough he will then offer to buy back your game in hopes that you will just sell it privately and go away. It worked for him with me and at least 6 others on pinside that private messaged me, and BTW, i was told JJP is no longer sending out replacement playfields, Barry told me that on the phone and i have emails to prove it before the JJP fanboys jump on and defend JJP.

#8070 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

You will get absolutely no where with JJP, Barry will string you along and after months of telling you upper management and ownership is aware and he cant make the decision, the whole time he already knows you’re going to get screwed by JJP. He will tell you that he can send you washers to cover the damage. If you complain enough he will then offer to buy back your game in hopes that you will just sell it privately and go away. It worked for him with me and at least 6 others on pinside that private messaged me, and BTW, i was told JJP is no longer sending out replacement playfields, Barry told me that on the phone and i have emails to prove it before the JJP fanboys jump on and defend JJP.

Not surprising, unfortunately.

#8071 3 years ago

People are tired of this playfield quality lottery BS that randomly keeps occurring and then companies not standing behind their insanely priced products.

If your game has a playfield issue and Stern or JJP isn't doing anything about it (and washers isn't doing anything) document their reply, then create a dedicated post on Pinside about it. If Stern and JJP want to charge $6k - $12k+ for their products then they need to offer top quality and be held accountable for it.

#8072 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I actually had an alert go off on my phone as it has been 6 months since I was promised a new TMNT PF from my distro. I can understand at the moment if the game isn’t being run... but there’s also an expectation that if you have a quality issue, they don’t get a decade to resolve it.

Yeah. I mean I got a replacement playfield so I'm sort of happy about it but I also was very frustrated by the process and Stern's support was not helpful. They told me they'd send it in mid October, and then when they missed that date, they would just ignore me when I asked when I could expect it. My distributor was completely useless. I think distributors are outdated and just seem to be another point of failure in the process.

#8073 3 years ago

So I haven’t been here in a while no was wondering if JJP playfield issues have been resolved as of machines going out today. How have the GNR CE machines been. Hoping to get a POTC rerun if released or possibly a Toy Story if playfields are of the highest quality. Fingers crossed. All comments and responses appreciated.

#8074 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

So I haven’t been here in a while no was wondering if JJP playfield issues have been resolved as of machines going out today. How have the GNR CE machines been. Hoping to get a POTC rerun if released or possibly a Toy Story if playfields are of the highest quality. Fingers crossed. All comments and responses appreciated.

Here you go, chipping on a CE, so problem is not resolved.

Quoted from JohnTTwo:

#8075 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Question for you. Did your game come with clear washers installed at the sling posts from the factory similar to below? Is this the area where your playfield chipped or was it somewhere else?

I'm not sure when JJP started including clear factory washers at the sling posts on games but all recently shipped games appear to have them installed.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8076 3 years ago

Panzer I do not have those clear post parts on my game, wish I did and my chipping is by an outlane.

#8077 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Pay with a credit card so you can file a chargeback.
These machines are much too expensive to deal with this bullshit.

Has anyone went this route? If so any words of wisdom? What to say? How to say it? What not to say in the dispute process? Is there a time limit on when to file a dispute?

thanks in advance.

#8078 3 years ago

It might just be time to return to silkscreen playfields..... you remember, when the ink actually stuck to the wood.

#8079 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It might just be time to return to silkscreen playfields..... you remember, when the ink actually stuck to the wood.

I still believe this is the main problem despite a lot of people trying to say otherwise.

The guy who built the black and white twilight zone told me CGC is still using diamond plate on their PF's and thats why they aren't having these issues. I kind of think thats incorrect but he swears thats what they told him.

#8080 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I still believe this is the main problem despite a lot of people trying to say otherwise.

I mean, anyone can see that the ink has lifted away from the substrate on the majority of the digitaly printed problem playfields.

I have an inbox full of horrendous photos

#8081 3 years ago

Notes on Diamond Plate I found in a link from an old Pinside thread. Are the chemicals used in Diamond Plate now banned?

"Diamond Plate is a hardcoat for pinball playfields that was developed in the mid 1980ies by Sun Process.
Ken Fedesna, Vice President at Williams asked Sun Process to research if pinball playfields could be made more dureable. Their answer was Diamond Plate. This was based on Imron, an automotive 2-component urethane hardcoat developed by DuPont. There were minor changes to its formula and application (thickness, drying time, ..) so it could be applied to the wood of playfields."

#8082 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I mean, anyone can see that the ink has lifted away from the substrate on the majority of the digitaly printed problem playfields.
I have an inbox full of horrendous photos

I'm not even a playfield wizard like you, but thats exactly what I see and what makes sense to me. If the ink isn't staying bonded to the wood underneath, the clearcoat is going to fail wherever its stressed

#8083 3 years ago

It is very obvious there is an adhesion problem with the ink. I just assume most people say clear coat to keep it simple. As soon as they started removing the ink in problem areas it pretty much proved it. Such a terrible solution though, text book case of treating the symptom instead of the actual cause.

#8084 3 years ago

so am i safe to order a JP Premium or should i just move on?

#8085 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Use a credit card, that gives you 120 days to do a chargback when the ink starts lifting.

#8086 3 years ago

Is JJP offering a buyback on games with defective playfields? Or is that only limited to some customers?

#8087 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I asked myself this question about a year ago. I decided that the chances of getting a bad playfield were probably low. I figured the people with good playfields just never commented about it. I took a chance and got a bad playfield. Don't buy one unless you're willing to deal with sorting it out if you get a bad one. It's a hassle.

#8088 3 years ago

With the next batch of G&RLE due here in June, are the new playfields that JJP & Mirco are supposedly checking still chipping/ lifting etc..

#8089 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What company is making playfields with water based clear?

I do not know, I am just thinking the water based ink, water based primers, what based = junk to me usually. Give me the old stuff with great fumes

#8090 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

With the next batch of G&RLE due here in June, are the new playfields that JJP & Mirco are supposedly checking still chipping/ lifting etc..

Thats what I'd like to know as well. Are there any instances of bad playfields on GNR that have the "quality assurance" post under the apron?

#8091 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Use a credit card, that gives you 180 days to do a chargback when the ink starts lifting.

Wouldn't that hurt the distributor? Or is this a sort of fu to them when they don't help? I may just hold off and buy a nice used one...

#8092 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Thats what I'd like to know as well. Are there any instances of bad playfields on GNR that have the "quality assurance" post under the apron?

I don't get the quality assurance post, how can a post covering 1/2" of the playfield be indicative of the entire PF quality.
You would hope the clear was applied equally and consistently over the entire pf, but how do you know?

Guess it's at least an attempt at some sort of QC - better than nothing

#8093 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I don't get the quality assurance post, how can a post covering 1/2" of the playfield be indicative of the entire PF quality.
You would hope the clear was applied equally and consistently over the entire pf, but how do you know?

It doesn't give me a lot of faith either but supposedly those ones have the problem fixed. Thats why I am so curious to see if thats the case

#8094 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

The clear is applied by robots- so should be consistent. Not sure if the robots mix the chemicals at the spray head or take it already mixed.

#8095 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Wouldn't that hurt the distributor? Or is this a sort of fu to them when they don't help? I may just hold off and buy a nice used one...

That’s one of the risks of being a distributor.

#8096 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

No worries.

Nothing will happen to the distributor. They simply won't pay the invoice when it comes due.

#8097 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Notes on Diamond Plate I found in a link from an old Pinside thread. Are the chemicals used in Diamond Plate now banned?
"Diamond Plate is a hardcoat for pinball playfields that was developed in the mid 1980ies by Sun Process.
Ken Fedesna, Vice President at Williams asked Sun Process to research if pinball playfields could be made more dureable. Their answer was Diamond Plate. This was based on Imron, an automotive 2-component urethane hardcoat developed by DuPont. There were minor changes to its formula and application (thickness, drying time, ..) so it could be applied to the wood of playfields."

Dupont still makes it, it is not illegal.

#8098 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

The clear is applied by robots- so should be consistent. Not sure if the robots mix the chemicals at the spray head or take it already mixed.

Every day I prep numerous machines for production. Two of them are 6-axis robots for lacquer application. The motion of the bot is the only constant. The source material, mixture, lines, atmosphere, surface prep, tip condition, this employee who knows how to do it better than that one, variable exhaust, dry oven conditions and whatever else I'm missing at the moment. My point is; robotic spray application is a process of numerous variables. The robot is an incredible too, but it doesn't do all the work and troubleshooting. There's extensive work behind the scenes to make the finished product shine like its supposed to.

#8100 3 years ago

I’ve bought all the recent Stern games. No issues with any. No chipping. No pooling, No (very minimal) dimpling. I’d say they solved the secret sauce. I have a GnR LE on the way soon, hopeful that playfield is rock solid too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 10.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Warren, OH
Machine - For Sale
Islamorada, FL
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 162 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/162?hl=2manyhobbies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.