IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 156 of 185.
#7751 3 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

actually i believe the first Spike game was one of their homepins. Transformers? Spiderman? I remember seeing a one off TWD at a show somewhere that was powered by Spike too.

Are you thinking of the 2015 Stern version of WhizBang Pinball's, 2012 Whoa Nellie Big Juicy Melons? It was Spike.

#7752 3 years ago

The dimples do even out, that doesn't bother me at all. I have some HUO Williams games with very low plays, there are dimples on them.

#7753 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Are you thinking of the 2015 Stern version of WhizBang Pinball's, 2012 Whoa Nellie Big Juicy Melons? It was Spike.

No, he was right. Transformers The Pin from 2012 was a Spike unit.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5861

#7754 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

My bad. You are correct. And it makes my statement that Stern took way too long to fix the issues even more true. I don't remember issues with WWE and KISS like they had with GB? Maybe they started having the boards built at a different vendor?

My KISS had node board issues and Stern made me buy a hacked board from them. Such a shit show. As you said in another post, they should have simply taken care of Spike 1 games since these games were clearly not tested properly.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-lights-out-updating-node-board#post-4522193

#7755 3 years ago

Has any GNR owner received a replacement playfield, populated or not? Curious if there has been any resolution in this regard for owners with playfield issues.

#7756 3 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Has any GNR owner received a replacement playfield, populated or not? Curious if there has been any resolution in this regard for owners with playfield issues.

No resolution for me, i wish the people that are being quiet would at least pm me so i can get an actual count.

#7757 3 years ago

So I got word from Stern that they are "hard coating" my playfield and it should be shipped within a few weeks. What do you guys think? Is that something I should wait to play for a while, as to avoid issues?

#7758 3 years ago

Quick Question.
Is there any kind of shortcuts or preventive measures that can be taken to prevent this from happening?
Is there anything that can be used to protect the playfield in problematic areas so it doesnt occur or at least prolong its cosmetic life?

#7759 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I got word from Stern that they are "hard coating" my playfield and it should be shipped within a few weeks. What do you guys think? Is that something I should wait to play for a while, as to avoid issues?

Never heard of 'hard coating'. Did Stern directly tell you this or was it thru a distro?

Something new they are doing?

#7760 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Never heard of 'hard coating'. Did Stern directly tell you this or was it thru a distro?
Something new they are doing?

Pat from stern. Here is the sentence:

"Your replacement playfield was just sent out to be hard coated and should be back within 2 weeks.  I will notify you when it ships."

I'm assuming clear coated. Just wondering when is safe to play.

#7761 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Pat from stern. Here is the sentence:
"Your replacement playfield was just sent out to be hard coated and should be back within 2 weeks.  I will notify you when it ships."
I'm assuming clear coated. Just wondering when is safe to play.

Thanks jorant.

That's interesting because there's been a lot of comments about Stern doing the PF 'in house'. Sounds like that's not entirely the case unless they do the CC in another facility.

#7762 3 years ago

They mean clear coated.

#7763 3 years ago
Quoted from Nysbadmk8:

They mean clear coated.

Wonderful. So back to the question at hand. Do I wait to play it?

#7764 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Little over 1 month, but I typically Wait 3 months

#7765 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Little over 1 month, but I typically Wait 3 months

This ^

#7766 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Thanks jorant.
That's interesting because there's been a lot of comments about Stern doing the PF 'in house'. Sounds like that's not entirely the case unless they do the CC in another facility.

They don't clear or print playfields in house from what I understand.

#7767 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

When I replaced my F-14 playfield with the PPS repro, I waited 6 months to install it. It was very solid and the dimples that I got were very very tiny. So I would wait at least the 3 months if I were you. I know it sucks, but I am convinced that this problem is mostly just CC not cured enough. I could be wrong.

#7768 3 years ago

I just received an E-Mail notice from UPS they are delivering a shipment from Stern tomorrow. I suspect this is the unpopulated playfield replacement they OKed at the end of November last year for my A:IQ.

#7769 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

I just received an E-Mail notice from UPS they are delivering a shipment from Stern tomorrow. I suspect this is the unpopulated playfield replacement they OKed at the end of November last year for my A:IQ.

Yikes that took a while.

#7770 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yikes that took a while.

Yes, although Stern was still on early A:IQ runs at the time, said they couldn't give an ETA, and the damage is ugly but cosmetic so lower urgency. I was going to send a follow-up E-Mail this week to see if they had a better idea on an ETA, I guess they beat me to it.

It was nice to have Stern do the right thing without giving me any hassle. Only a few E-Mails back and forth to provide pictures and info before I got the replacement and approval a day or two later. It's not a populated playfield, but I'm OK with unpopulated given the options and potential benefits a NIB playfield gives me in the future.

#7771 3 years ago

Dimples usually aren't an issue; however, it is interesting that my original IM has zero - I mean none, not even small ones that you can see with the exact light angle. Strange.

On the other hand, I have seen a few BM66s with dimpling that IS unacceptable. Craters would be an understatement. It made the PF look like absolute garbage.

My IMDN has dimpling, but it's nothing major. I'm totally fine with it.

As with most current pin companies, it's a gamble as to what you're going to get for a PF as there is no consistency. This is why I'm a HUO guy now, if anything.

#7772 3 years ago

Played a Led Zeppelin pro on route and it had dimples

#7773 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yeah I would.

You could speed up the process by keeping a fan on it and humidity low.

#7774 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Played a Led Zeppelin pro on route and it had dimples

Correct, it is a pinball machine

#7775 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, I'm glad that you are happy, but that resolution would not be enough to make me happy.

Just out of curiosity, what would you do to resolve the situation? I'm in the same boat. After almost 18 months of harassing my distributor I'm *supposed* to get an unpopulated play field.

What other recourse do I have? Fight with them for another 18 months? Pay $5k for a lawyer and file a lawsuit? At some point, you just have to cut your losses and move on. Am I satisfied, no, not really. Is it better than nothing...sure.

#7776 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Just out of curiosity, what would you do to resolve the situation? I'm in the same boat. After almost 18 months of harassing my distributor I'm *supposed* to get an unpopulated play field.
What other recourse do I have? Fight with them for another 18 months? Pay $5k for a lawyer and file a lawsuit? At some point, you just have to cut your losses and move on. Am I satisfied, no, not really. Is it better than nothing...sure.

The time frame is bullshit. 18 months is insane. So for that I am super sorry.

I'm about to say something that will get me downvoted to hell, and believe me I'm not stern kiss ass, but.... I'm shocked by the number of people in this hobby that can't fix their own machines. I tell people that if you want to get into pinball, be prepared for something to break. And yes, playfield swaps are extensive, but not difficult if you take it one bite at a time. I'm just surprised how many people get a free 5, 6, 700 dollar playfield and aren't at least grateful for that. Or, they cry for one only not to install it and use it as bait when they sell their machine. Which tells me whatever your issue was, it wasnt that bad after all, huh? Not to change it?

Mine was shit. Unplayable. Not ghosting inserts or bubbling clear, but straight up unplayable trash with warping, leading to inescapable outlane drains.

So i'm replacing it. Happy to do so. Just seems odd how many won't or CAN'T do it.

#7777 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm about to say something that will get me downvoted to hell, and believe me I'm not stern kiss ass, but.... I'm shocked by the number of people in this hobby that can't fix their own machines. I tell people that if you want to get into pinball, be prepared for something to break. And yes, playfield swaps are extensive, but not difficult if you take it one bite at a time. I'm just surprised how many people get a free 5, 6, 700 dollar playfield and aren't at least grateful for that. Or, they cry for one only not to install it and use it as bait when they sell their machine. Which tells me whatever your issue was, it wasnt that bad after all, huh? Not to change it?
Mine was shit. Unplayable. Not ghosting inserts or bubbling clear, but straight up unplayable trash with warping, leading to inescapable outlane drains.
So i'm replacing it. Happy to do so. Just seems odd how many won't or CAN'T do it.

It's been almost 12 months now since Stern approved a new playfield for me, and 5 months before that.

If I ever get my unpopulated playfield, I will be more than happy to swap it.

#7778 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

The time frame is bullshit...

Dude, this is so sad, your going full Simp for Stern, no one wants to read this.

#7779 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I tell people that if you want to get into pinball, be prepared for something to break. And yes, playfield swaps are extensive, but not difficult if you take it one bite at a time. I'm just surprised how many people get a free 5, 6, 700 dollar playfield and aren't at least grateful for that. Just seems odd how many won't or CAN'T do it.

Well, I've been fixing my own machines for a long time (bought my first in 1984), but I've never done a playfield swap - and I'd be quite intimidated in trying it. Additionally, I don't have the extra room (or some of the tools) that I would need to do a swap.

But the real point is that these people have bought a defective machine, and the manufacturer wants to just send out a part and be done with it. That would be fine if the part was a leg that can just be bolted off/on (or even a board to swap out). But replacing the playfield requires a lot more work/time/knowledge/space/tools than many people have - including me.

Stern's support team is still in the mindset of "these route operators can swap a playfield if need be", but Stern's sales team is thinking "we can sell these highly profitable LE versions for home use and make a bunch of profit". These two perspectives are in conflict.

#7780 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

Wow. I was promised a unpopulated PF from my distro over a month before your approval, and I'm still sitting here waiting. Granted it was for TMNT, not AIQ, but still!

#7781 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Wow. I was promised a unpopulated PF from my distro over a month before your approval, and I'm still sitting here waiting. Granted it was for TMNT, not AIQ, but still!

I have to ship my playfield back first. They are sending a box shortly

#7782 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Stern's support team is still in the mindset of "these route operators can swap a playfield if need be", but Stern's sales team is thinking "we can sell these highly profitable LE versions for home use and make a bunch of profit". These two perspectives are in conflict.

Agreed, but until someone causes them some serious pain, they won’t change the formula.

#7783 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Dude, this is so sad, your going full Simp for Stern, no one wants to read this.

I'm saying the time frame blows. Saying it sucks.

#7784 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I have to ship my playfield back first. They are sending a box shortly

Populated, or depopulated?

#7785 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Populated, or depopulated?

populated

#7786 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm shocked you couldn't fix this.

#7787 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I'm shocked you couldn't fix this.

Believe me, I tried.

#7788 3 years ago
Quoted from Returner:

It's been almost 12 months now since Stern approved a new playfield for me, and 5 months before that.
If I ever get my unpopulated playfield, I will be more than happy to swap it.

Stern does not care. They are now only in it for the money and care less about the home customer.

#7789 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Cars blow motors and transmissions go out within warranty as well, are you prepared to replace a motor or transmission if the manufacturer sent it to you? Hell, I'd be more comfortable doing that, then swapping pf. How many hours will it take to get a swapped pf working correctly, for a newbie? Why cant Stern just send out a populated pf, and expect the same in return? Why is Stern making the customer perform the swap, when in reality it should be Stern employees depopulating the pf and returning part to inventory.

And grateful they sorta stand behind a $8000 product. Stern loves you!

#7790 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Quoted from Haymaker:

They don't clear or print playfields in house from what I understand.

The walk through with Jack Danger suggested otherwise re: in house clearing (6min mark) but this was from october last year.

cc : "we sand the entire playfield to make sure the entire thing is level and this is the preparation to bring it to where we're clear coating them in this back room that we're not going to show you"

#7791 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

The walk through with Jack Danger suggested otherwise (6min mark).

That's great. Pat from stern told me they're sending it out. So don't know what to say.

#7792 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

That's great. Pat from stern told me they're sending it out. So don't know what to say.

Video was from october last year so anything could have happened between then and now.

Entirely possible things have changed or you are getting special treatment outside of their normal process.

#7793 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Video was from october last year so anything could have happened between then and now.
Entirely possible things have changed or you are getting special treatment outside of their normal process.

I certainly HOPE they don't send it out. Would make me feel I would get it sooner, so I hope you're right.

#7794 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

The walk through with Jack Danger suggested otherwise re: in house clearing (6min mark) but this was from october last year.

That’s before the art is applied by a 3rd party vendor and cleared again. They have multiple different vendors that do that step.

#7795 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I too am grateful to our overlord Stern and JJP for providing a replacement free playfield to replace add to the one I've already got.

There is some distance, a gulf in fact, between someone being able to rebuild flippers and do a bit of light soldering, to wholesale replacing a playfield. The two things are not remotely equivalent, so it's a fallacy to say that people who aren't capable of doing the latter can't "fix their own machines". You're using reductive language to absolve Stern/JJP of responsibility to make their customers whole.

Would you make the same argument about people who buy cars, who can change the screenwash, replace the oil, maybe the brake discs, that they should be capable of dropping engines and gearboxes, etc as well? Would you grace car manufacturers with the same latitude that you're giving Stern/JJP here, that it would be perfectly fine for them to send out replacement gearboxes that the customer has to fit themselves, on their own dime?

I'd wager that swapping a playfield is actually probably more complex than replacing an engine or gearbox, given how much wiring is involved, the potential for mistakes that could damage or destroy components that might not be easily replaceable or cost a fortune. Are Stern/JJP standing behind people who undertake this work and wire things the wrong way, blowing node boards, etc?

The absolute least these companies should be doing is providing populated playfields, and even then I'd suggest it's not a trivial job for a typical end user to swap. They ought to be sending these populated playfields out with a technician to do the swap.

I find it staggering that people are actually ok with getting an unpopulated playfield as a solution to a defective warrantied product, it's like they've got Stockholm Syndrome or something.

#7796 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I too am grateful to our overlord Stern and JJP for providing a replacement free playfield to replace add to the one I've already got.
There is some distance, a gulf in fact, between someone being able to rebuild flippers and do a bit of light soldering, to wholesale replacing a playfield. The two things are not remotely equivalent, so it's a fallacy to say that people who aren't capable of doing the latter can't "fix their own machines". You're using reductive language to absolve Stern/JJP of responsibility to make their customers whole.
Would you make the same argument about people who buy cars, who can change the screenwash, replace the oil, maybe the brake discs, that they should be capable of dropping engines and gearboxes, etc as well? Would you grace car manufacturers with the same latitude that you're giving Stern/JJP here, that it would be perfectly fine for them to send out replacement gearboxes that the customer has to fit themselves, on their own dime?
I'd wager that swapping a playfield is actually probably more complex than replacing an engine or gearbox, given how much wiring is involved, the potential for mistakes that could damage or destroy components that might not be easily replaceable or cost a fortune. Are Stern/JJP standing behind people who undertake this work and wire things the wrong way, blowing node boards, etc?
The absolute least these companies should be doing is providing populated playfields, and even then I'd suggest it's not a trivial job for a typical end user to swap. They ought to be sending these populated playfields out with a technician to do the swap.
I find it staggering that people are actually ok with getting an unpopulated playfield as a solution to a defective warrantied product, it's like they've got Stockholm Syndrome or something.

Okay mr negative. Thank you for your shitty viewpoint. Why the hell cant you guys try to be positive? Would it literally kill you? And no, putting a playfield together is not rocket science. Do I want a new one teleported to me? Of course god dammit. But this is better than nothing.

#7797 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Okay mr negative. Thank you for your shitty viewpoint. Why the hell cant you guys try to be positive? Would it literally kill you? And no, putting a playfield together is not rocket science. Do I want a new one teleported to me? Of course god dammit. But this is better than nothing.

Dude you’re the one in here being a dick to other people in the hobby. Acting like they should be so thankful. That they are inferior because they won’t do the swap themselves. That their playfields are not really defective because if they were they would man up and do the swap. That it’s somehow not right to sell on. It’s nauseating, good thing there is a solution.

#7798 3 years ago

..... waste of time

#7799 3 years ago

Wow. I have no idea how this got out of hand. Guys, for the love of hell. I got this game second hand and they're giving me a free playfield.

Edit. Let me join in. Yeahhhhhh. Fuck stern. Fuck emmmmmmm! May I join you salty fucks, now? May I come back to the fold of cranky old cunts?

#7800 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Wow. I have no idea how this got out of hand. Guys, for the love of hell. I got this game second hand and they're giving me a free playfield.
Edit. Let me join in. Yeahhhhhh. Fuck stern. Fuck emmmmmmm! May I join you salty fucks, now? May I come back to the fold of cranky old cunts?

Do not worry about the Captain Negative squad. This hobby is about you and what makes you happy. Some people can never be happy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 10.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 28.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.00
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 156 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/156?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.