IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 185.
#7601 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Confusing. The distributor Works for the OEM. Instead of letting them do what they Earned your business to do you would prefer to go on a personal crusade to hate all pinball sales? Seems odd to me. When I have issues with my car I don't feel sorry bringing my issues to the dealer?? Good luck with your mission whatever that is....

I've had issues with both JJP and Stern in the past. On all occasions the distributor pushed my issues off to the OEM. I'm sure some distributors are better than others, but I have heard repeatably that Stern is hard to deal with. I've had good experience with JJP on my issues although I was disappointed they stopped stocking wire forms for POTC. Maybe with their new found success they'll do a better job stocking parts.

#7602 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Some people here like to claim that "the bad playfields are only a tiny percentage and it's all blown out of proportion".
If that's really the case, then Stern /JJP should have no issue/problem replacing the playfields on that "tiny number". The fact that they can't / won't means that they realize that if they replaced all the bad playfields it would cost a fortune.
This is further proven by the fact that even those who do get promised (an unpopulated) playfield end up having to wait months/years for it to be re-made. If it was only a tiny number of playfields there would be enough spare playfields available to send out to those "few" people.
With any big/expensive product (i.e. cars, refrigerators, etc.) there will be a small number of defective ones that get through. It's how the company handles those problems when they arise that matters. Stern and JJP have shown clearly that they have little to no interest in standing behind their products.
Partly this is due (as has been stated above) that they (at least in Stern's case) have a long history of selling to operators rather than end users. However, they have now moved into the (potentially more lucrative) area of the home user - allowing them to significantly increase their prices for "Premium" models. But that lucrative market also expects a far more responsive support structure, which Stern/JJP have not stepped up to provide.
The "cargument" has been made a thousand times, but more realistic is a "frigument". If you bought a $3000 refrigerator that didn't work, how would you feel if the manufacturer said "well, we'll send you a new compressor, but you'll have to install it yourself. And we don't have any spare ones for your model right now - but we'll send you one the next time we re-make your model. Probably in about 6 months or so..."

Great post. All I'll add is this...the definition of a "bad playfield" is HIGHLY subjective. Gameplay much less so. If the game doesn't work, Stern and it's distributors are usually pretty responsive.

#7603 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm stuck at an impasse. Stern and my distributor haven't done anything about my BM66 playfield. I've been boycotting them since August 2019 when I bought the game. My problems is that I really, really, really want a Jurassic Park Premium.
Maybe I should just flip a coin?

I haven't played my JP Premium in weeks. I like the game (playfield issues aside), but I think I've decided that it just doesn't hold your interest well. Other games I've owned have held my interest a lot longer. JP isn't worth the gamble...

#7604 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Great post. All I'll add is this...the definition of a "bad playfield" is HIGHLY subjective. Gameplay much less so. If the game doesn't work, Stern and it's distributors are usually pretty responsive.

Stern has not exactly been bending over backwards to help my super warped playfield. They said we have to wait to hear from our quality department. Well pardon me to all hell, but how long does it take to look at my wildly warped playfield to say, "yeah, this one's fucked" and fix it? Get off your ass and fix it.

#7605 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Just adding a datapoint that current release JJP playfields look good to my eye.
If we're going to point out the flaws, it's only fair to point out when they've corrected things right?

That’s a terrific datapoint, but it’s clear, based upon so many of your previous comments, that flaws don’t bother you. You continue to come off as a shill for JJP.

#7606 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Stern has not exactly been bending over backwards to help my super warped playfield. They said we have to wait to hear from our quality department. Well pardon me to all hell, but how long does it take to look at my wildly warped playfield to say, "yeah, this one's fucked" and fix it? Get off your ass and fix it.

Unbelievable...but super warped does effect gameplay, which should be easy to prove to them. I have to imagine super warped PF's are rare, so it's odd & disappointing Stern isn't taking care of you. I assume it was warped from "day 1" and the game is still under warranty?

#7607 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

It may not seem like it, but it sounds like they are working on it behind the scenes. My buddy's playfield was replaced. Fully populated but it took 14 months.

#7608 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Let’s sum up this thread
1.JJP has addressed playfield issues
2.Stern has not
3.zaphx is a good dude

Not sure how you came to this conclusion. I have not seen pooling issue on the last two or three Stern games posted in this thread. That is the main issue this thread was started for. No excuses for the one warped LZ pro a few pages back and that is worthy of a full populated playfield swap. On the other hand, where are all of the pictures of pooling on LZ? How about AIQ? I may have missed something but I have definitely seen more pictures of GnR pooling than I have AIQ or LZ (or TMNT for that matter). To me, both JJP and Stern have addressed the pooling issues and finally seem to be winning the battle.

#7609 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

interesting (that level is not warped FYI)[quoted image]

ThIS topic is never going to end until people stop spending their hard earned money on STERN'S garbage. Their quality has tanked over the last few years. For them not to fix this for you is the very reason why I will no longer buy NIB.

#7610 3 years ago
Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

Normally I don’t pile on to threads like this.... but I service a beatles gold that is on route, and the pooling is so bad on it, that the playfield has actually started to chip away in spots where the art is pooling up. This is a game the location probably paid around $8000 for.
I’ll get pics next time I see it, but it’s.... bad. And unfortunate, really. I’m sure if I yelled loud enough I might be able to get a blank, for a game that’s been owned and sort of played the last 2 years (easily less than 10,000 plays), but instead I held back my LZ money to see what cgc and American offers next. To me, that’s more impactful.

I have also seen a Beatles gold on route. It looked really bad and had a play count of 3,756 plays at the time.

#7611 3 years ago

for comparison, you guys can watch this vid of a 90s game.... lots of dimples and it is totally fine:

#7612 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Pinball distros make little to nothing on NIB machines at this point

where is the truth on this ? i mean, i really dont know (how much a distro win on a pinball sell)...

#7613 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

That’s a terrific datapoint, but it’s clear, based upon so many of your previous comments, that flaws don’t bother you. You continue to come off as a shill for JJP.

My GnR le playfield looks good and I’m looking closely at the posts every time I play. Clear appears to be thinner compared to potc and wonka. My wonka had slight pooling at a couple of sling posts as did my potc.

My last four sterns have also been good, LZ, aiq, Elvira and tmnt. However, on aiq, I did have an issue with a guide rail digging into the playfield, which was an easy fix. I had st, and that suffered from a lot of dimpling. I don’t recall my JP having any pooling issues.

#7614 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Not sure how you came to this conclusion. I have not seen pooling issue on the last two or three Stern games posted in this thread. That is the main issue this thread was started for. No excuses for the one warped LZ pro a few pages back and that is worthy of a full populated playfield swap. On the other hand, where are all of the pictures of pooling on LZ? How about AIQ? I may have missed something but I have definitely seen more pictures of GnR pooling than I have AIQ or LZ (or TMNT for that matter). To me, both JJP and Stern have addressed the pooling issues and finally seem to be winning the battle.

Wasn't there pooling in the LZ stern used to promo the launch? I thought I remembered people posting picture of it

#7615 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I'd rather not screw my distributor over. It's not his fault the product is faulty.

this is one of the dumbest statements I have ever read on pinside. that is their job, if they do not want to handle issues with a product that they sell then they need to get out.

#7616 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Stern has not exactly been bending over backwards to help my super warped playfield. They said we have to wait to hear from our quality department.

I got the exact same response.

#7617 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I got the exact same response.

The Stern "quality department" is just a table in the corner where they stack the "Quality Inspected By : " stickers.

#7618 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

this is one of the dumbest statements I have ever read on pinside. that is their job, if they do not want to handle issues with a product that they sell then they need to get out.

Agreed. Shit, most distributors don't even distribute! All of my NIB games typically get shipped directly from Stern to me. If the distributor can't help with problems/parts/etc., what exactly are they getting paid for?

#7619 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

That's something everyone seems to ignore. Buyers are super sensitive combing over entire pf literally with zoom lens. Any slight pooling or small chip or even common dimples is declared serious problem. Maybe you think it's serious but game is still perfectly playable. The fridge argument is ridiculous. A scratch on the door is a completely different issue than if fridge does not function correctly. Badly warped pf's or bad node boards different issues than a slight bit of pooling around a few posts. It's just unrealistic to expect replacement pf's or games for every issue big or small.

#7620 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Neither Stern or JJP have come out and acknowledged playfield issues.
The company that manufactures playfields for Christmas JJP has come forwarded and announced the new playfield certifications on their products.Stern’s manufacturer has not acknowledged anything

#7621 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

My GnR le playfield looks good and I’m looking closely at the posts every time I play. Clear appears to be thinner compared to potc and wonka. My wonka had slight pooling at a couple of sling posts as did my potc.
My last four sterns have also been good, LZ, aiq, Elvira and tmnt. However, on aiq, I did have an issue with a guide rail digging into the playfield, which was an easy fix. I had st, and that suffered from a lot of dimpling. I don’t recall my JP having any pooling issues.

That’s terrific for you.

Three folks in my area have severe pooling on their JPs. The dimpling is worse than older Stern machines, but we all know that we just have to live with it.

#7622 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Buyers are super sensitive combing over entire pf literally with zoom lens. Any slight pooling or small chip or even common dimples is declared serious problem.

Quality-Assurance_o_42652 (resized).jpgQuality-Assurance_o_42652 (resized).jpg
#7623 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

That’s terrific for you.
Three folks in my area have severe pooling on their JPs. The dimpling is worse than older Stern machines, but we all know that we just have to live with it.

Some JPs had artwork up to the posts, those games appeared to be more susceptible to pooling. JP is several games ago, seems like the pooling issue has been resolved with thinner clear, maybe they changed the process too, idk. I haven’t seen anyone have pooling issues with Elvira, tmnt, st, LZ or aiq. The guide rails digging in are still an issue on some stern games, but are fixed by raising them if you catch them eatly. Mine were all raised from the factory on LZ.

All games dimple, some more than others, but may also be a function of the speed of the game combined with the amount of airballs. St is a fast game with a lot of airballs off the demo, which may contribute to the dimpling.

#7624 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Here is my video of how warped this is:

Like... what's to look at? You're telling me the "quality" guys at Stern are stroking their beards debating if this is okay or not? It is fucked, fix it.

#7625 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Here is my video if how warped this is:

Like... what's to look at? You're telling me the "quality" guys at Stern are stroking their beards debating if this is okay or not? It is fucked, fix it.

Curious. What do the playfield hangers on the front of your playfield look like? There is technically 100 lbs worth of crap mounted to the bottom of a flexible wood board after all. Not questioning what you are seeing simply offering a suggestion! I would try putting a 1/8" shim under the right playfield hanger for the night to see if the playfield flexes back to position.

#7626 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Here is my video if how warped this is:

I hear ya brother! It wasn't pointed at you.

Shit quality just seems to be what the world is all about now as we debate why there is less ice at the north pole than there used to be.

#7627 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Curious. What do the playfield hangers on the front of your playfield look like? There is technically 100 lbs worth of crap mounted to the bottom of a flexible wood board after all. Not questioning what you are seeing simply offering a suggestion! I would try putting a 1/8" shim under the right playfield hanger for the night to see if the playfield flexes back to position.

The playfield is still warped outside of the hangers. Is it possible I could modify them to fix it? They both sit down flush into the lockdown bar.

#7628 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

The playfield is still warped outside of the hangers. Is it possible I could modify them to fix it? They both sit down flush into the lockdown bar.

I wouldn't modify anything just insert an 1/8" shim under the left hanger and let time overnight and the weight see if it will flex it back to playable. I only suggest this is I had similar problem with a bent hanger once. I just bent it up but in your case a simple shim might be a good test. We are also assuming the locking bar area and cabinet are square.

#7629 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I wouldn't modify anything just insert an 1/8" shim under the left hanger and let time overnight and the weight see if it will flex it back to playable. I only suggest this is I had similar problem with a bent hanger once. I just bent it up but in your case a simple shim might be a good test. We are also assuming the locking bar area and cabinet are square.

I super appreciate the help, but I can see this thing takes a huge dip even to the left of the hanger. It is effed. :/

#7630 3 years ago

I use to take marble shower panels and lay them flat crown side up,weight it down overnight and install in the morning

#7631 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I super appreciate the help, but I can see this thing takes a huge dip even to the left of the hanger. It is effed. :/

Being transparent, I just want you to fix it so I can offer to buy it lol. Love that game just never got to own one. Hope you find your solution.

#7632 3 years ago

Well, I just ordered an American HotWheels. So now I can compare the build quality of it along side my Spooky ACNC, JJ Hobbit LE, Stern SAM and Stern Spike LOL!

#7633 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Being transparent, I just want you to fix it so I can offer to buy it lol. Love that game just never got to own one. Hope you find your solution.

Never owned one! Get an STLE, it is one of my favorite Sterns.

#7634 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Never owned one! Get an STLE, it is one of my favorite Sterns.

Admittedly I was never a Treky fan but this game just shoots Amazing. Played a Premium (I think) and was really impressed. Some day.

#7635 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Admittedly I was never a Treky fan but this game just shoots Amazing. Played a Premium (I think) and was really impressed. Some day.

If you can't find a Prem/LE, the pro plays just as good! Mod it up and it can be beautiful!

#7636 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

If you can't find a Prem/LE, the pro plays just as good! Mod it up and it can be beautiful!

That's exactly what I did, no regrets and it plays so well.

#7637 3 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

That's exactly what I did, no regrets and it plays so well.

I'm the opposite. I bought the pro, and now that I have a premium, I would hate to go backwards. But, they Do play the same. The light show is almost like a JJP on the premium.

#7638 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

The Stern "quality department" is just a table in the corner where they stack the "Quality Inspected By : " stickers.

I've posted this before, but it's worth of a re-post. It's actually much better than a table in the corner.....

Skip to the 11 minute mark.

Guy Giving Tour: "Yeah, we have this awesome light table to make sure we can spot ghosting insert issues." "Can we show them how it works?"

Guy Doing QC: "Uh, this thing is supposed to be plugged in?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UR2WflOczwU&app=desktop

#7639 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I've posted this before, but it's worth of a re-post. It's actually much better than a table in the corner.....
Skip to the 11 minute mark.
Guy Giving Tour: "Yeah, we have this awesome light table to make sure we can spot ghosting insert issues." "Can we show them how it works?"
Guy Doing QC: "Uh, this thing is supposed to be plugged in?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UR2WflOczwU&app=desktop

I think he was just caught of guard and by the looks of his face he was not pleased with the interaction... just having a bad day.
I prefer seeing this than a rehearsed fake tour like you see most of the time.

I don't see anything wrong... Maybe you were expecting somebody wearing goggles while looking down a microscope with a bunch of fake scientist in the background analyzing the images / looking for ghosting.... lol

#7640 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I don't see anything wrong... Maybe you were expecting somebody wearing goggles while looking down a microscope with a bunch of fake scientist in the background analyzing the images to detect ghosting.... lol

It would be silly, but definitely indicate that someone is thinking about it. At least enough to fake it.

#7641 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm the opposite. I bought the pro, and now that I have a premium, I would hate to go backwards. But, they Do play the same. The light show is almost like a JJP on the premium.

The clear inserts on the Prem/LE look more washed out. The pro has RGB LEDS in all the inserts and the colored inserts look more vivid. The light show is still excellent even without the fancy color washes etc.

#7642 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

The clear inserts on the Prem/LE look more washed out. The pro has RGB LEDS in all the inserts and the colored inserts look more vivid. The light show is still excellent even without the fancy color washes etc.

I've owned them both, so we will just agree to disagree.

Anyhow, back on track. Good news. I got an email from stern about their quality department looking over my video. They sent me a pic of all of them gathered around looking at the video, even.

Seriously, wtf are they doing?

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg
#7643 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Some people here like to claim that "the bad playfields are only a tiny percentage and it's all blown out of proportion".
If that's really the case, then Stern /JJP should have no issue/problem replacing the playfields on that "tiny number". The fact that they can't / won't means that they realize that if they replaced all the bad playfields it would cost a fortune.
This is further proven by the fact that even those who do get promised (an unpopulated) playfield end up having to wait months/years for it to be re-made. If it was only a tiny number of playfields there would be enough spare playfields available to send out to those "few" people.
With any big/expensive product (i.e. cars, refrigerators, etc.) there will be a small number of defective ones that get through. It's how the company handles those problems when they arise that matters. Stern and JJP have shown clearly that they have little to no interest in standing behind their products.
Partly this is due (as has been stated above) that they (at least in Stern's case) have a long history of selling to operators rather than end users. However, they have now moved into the (potentially more lucrative) area of the home user - allowing them to significantly increase their prices for "Premium" models. But that lucrative market also expects a far more responsive support structure, which Stern/JJP have not stepped up to provide.
The "cargument" has been made a thousand times, but more realistic is a "frigument". If you bought a $3000 refrigerator that didn't work, how would you feel if the manufacturer said "well, we'll send you a new compressor, but you'll have to install it yourself. And we don't have any spare ones for your model right now - but we'll send you one the next time we re-make your model. Probably in about 6 months or so..."

Even that fridge analogy is too generous, I feel. I could probably have a crack at replacing a compressor.

A more accurate analogy would be expecting customers to rebuild the entire fridge from scratch, from parts, when those customers had only ever just enjoyed consuming food from it, and had never made a fridge before.

Let’s not forget who are buying these pins nowadays too. It’s not ops - in the main - it’s end users who just enjoy playing pinball, who can replace rubbers and maybe do a bit of light soldering if push comes to shove. These companies are expecting those customers to carry out playfield swaps themselves, a task that is not remotely trivial. Even seasoned pros would take some time doing it.

At best all these companies are doing is asking the customer to kick the problem down the road, to the next owner (who also likely won’t be capable of doing it and will leave the replacement PF in storage, for the next owner).

It’s a total shambles. The minimum these companies should be providing are populated playfields, or sending a tech out to do the swap for the customer expenses paid.

#7644 3 years ago

I noticed how it's gotten much harder to find used Stern SAM games for sale in Michigan where I look. Is it that people are waking up to the quality issues of Spike and more reluctant to sell their SAM games? Or is it Covid lockdown? Probably both.

#7645 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I noticed how it's gotten much harder to find used Stern SAM games for sale in Michigan where I look. Is it that people are waking up to the quality issues of Spike and more reluctant to sell their SAM games? Or is it Covid lockdown? Probably both.

I say neither.

#7646 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I say neither.

The first stage of grief is denial.

#7647 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Here is my video of how warped this is:

For the past 8 years Stern has been making overpriced garbage and it gets worse ever year. After 7,646 posts on the page people need to STOP buying their product!

#7648 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

The first stage of grief is denial.

Found two SAM games in the past couple months and looked for a day each. Covid has only increased pinball sales. Everyone was at home with lots of free time and most pinball people are essential workers. So little to no effect. Plus, all these companies, while yes under restrictions, cannot keep up with all the orders they are getting.

#7649 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Found two SAM games in the past couple months and looked for a day each. Covid has only increased pinball sales. Everyone was at home with lots of free time and most pinball people are essential workers. So little to no effect. Plus, all these companies, while yes under restrictions, cannot keep up with all the orders they are getting.

I can't find titles I want and I watch every day! More people are getting into pinball though.

#7650 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Well, I just ordered an American HotWheels. So now I can compare the build quality of it along side my Spooky ACNC, JJ Hobbit LE, Stern SAM and Stern Spike LOL!

You'll be pleasantly surprised. My HW was my first American... I rank it above my R&M and AIQ/Elvira

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 24.50
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11,000.00
$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,500 (OBO)
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/153?hl=pokerjake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.