IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 151 of 185.
#7501 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

The distributor is fighting for the playfield (we can now opt for an unpopulated). Stern has since contacted me for info as well. Might be light at the end of the tunnel but who knows. Now worst case scenario is unpopulated and fun times switching stuff over.

I'll say this, it looks like swapping the pf on a LZ should be easier than doing a swap on a lot of other games.

#7502 3 years ago

I wouldn't accept an unpopulated playfield if that game is new and under 6 months old.

That's a ton of time and energy to invest in a product that should function properly new.

#7503 3 years ago
Quoted from Nysbadmk8:

I wouldn't accept an unpopulated playfield if that game is new and under 6 months old.
That's a ton of time and energy to invest in a product that should function properly new.

I would. I'd take whatever I could get.

#7504 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I wonder...playfields do flex a bit. Is the left side rail mounted slightly higher than the left or something? Maybe it's a fixable issue?

I have the same issue with a different Stern game. The game is almost unplayable.

#7505 3 years ago

We have been dealing with quality issues on Stern games with no solution for years. Guys have threatened class action suits etc. They have called every person in the business about it etc. I stopped buying Stern games about 7 years ago over these type of issues and lack of code.

I simply did as I am telling you now, and have posted this same solution numerous times....VOTE WITH YOUR WALLETS! Its that simple. I wish all of you with these problems good luck and have given up on Stern ever changing their ways.

#7506 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I have the same issue with a different Stern game. The game is almost unplayable.

That really sucks and I'm sorry that happened.

#7507 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

It's a........ feature?

Instead of Wonka like mini magnets the playfield does the work!Walla monies saved!

#7508 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

interesting (that level is not warped FYI)[quoted image]

Rofl.
It's so badly warped i wouldnt even use that on a wall.

#7509 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

The distributor is fighting for the playfield (we can now opt for an unpopulated). Stern has since contacted me for info as well. Might be light at the end of the tunnel but who knows. Now worst case scenario is unpopulated and fun times switching stuff over.

I have a friend that didn't accept anything less than a populated playfield on a Ghoshbusters... He's been into pinball for a very long time and knows alot of people and he never let up. He got the fully populated playfield from Stern.

#7510 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

I have a friend that didn't accept anything less than a populated playfield on a Ghoshbusters... He's been into pinball for a very long time and knows alot of people and he never let up. He got the fully populated playfield from Stern.

12 years later....

#7511 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

And remember this stuff is supposed to be fun. If the angst outweighs the fun, why bother?

Because you spent 8 grand on a toy that should not have major defects

#7512 3 years ago

So here is my issue. You almost cannot tell the gap because in pics it is hard to see where the playfield touches the straight edge (and that IS a perfectly straight edge). But look at the far left ball guide. It is like 1/5 of an inch dipping! And it keeps dipping more as the side goes on. The balls can literally not be saved from outlane drains! If it wasn't infuriating it would almost be funny.

Unlike many here, I'd be thrilled as hell if Stern could replace this with a playfield. I'd gladly populate it myself, as it would be far better than this!

20210119_083035 (resized).jpg20210119_083035 (resized).jpg
#7513 3 years ago

Normally I don’t pile on to threads like this.... but I service a beatles gold that is on route, and the pooling is so bad on it, that the playfield has actually started to chip away in spots where the art is pooling up. This is a game the location probably paid around $8000 for.

I’ll get pics next time I see it, but it’s.... bad. And unfortunate, really. I’m sure if I yelled loud enough I might be able to get a blank, for a game that’s been owned and sort of played the last 2 years (easily less than 10,000 plays), but instead I held back my LZ money to see what cgc and American offers next. To me, that’s more impactful.

#7514 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Because you spent 8 grand on a toy that should not have major defects

No doubt....the good news for JJP owners is it appears the play field problems on GNR have been addressed.

#7515 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

No doubt....the good news for JJP owners is it appears the play field problems on GNR have been addressed.

Hell yes I bet Eric and crew are sleeping better!That playfield shit is a nightmare.

#7516 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Hell yes I bet Eric and crew are sleeping better!That playfield shit is a nightmare.

No doubt....I heard from my distributor that JJP now does a post test in an area under the apron prior to assembly....

#7517 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So here is my issue. You almost cannot tell the gap because in pics it is hard to see where the playfield touches the straight edge (and that IS a perfectly straight edge). But look at the far left ball guide. It is like 1/5 of an inch dipping! And it keeps dipping more as the side goes on. The balls can literally not be saved from outlane drains! If it wasn't infuriating it would almost be funny.
Unlike many here, I'd be thrilled as hell if Stern could replace this with a playfield. I'd gladly populate it myself, as it would be far better than this!
[quoted image]

holy crap!

#7518 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

[quoted image]

Did you buy this new this way?
Or did someone pass on?
May be worth a claim to see what they say.

Overall crap.

#7519 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

The fact that you people are still purchasing NIB machines just boggles my mind.

Yet you own a wonka? A new game no less.

#7520 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Did you buy this new this way?
Or did someone pass on?
May be worth a claim to see what they say.
Overall crap.

Stern is working with me now to fix it. I was able to stack three quarters, one on top of another and still the straight edge was above it! It was flat at one point and ABOVE thay in another. Dramatic curve.

Here's a pic with only two quarters, and you can see how even that is way below the dip that's in it!

20210119_162443 (resized).jpg20210119_162443 (resized).jpg
#7521 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Yet you own a wonka? A new game no less.

That Wonka would be the reason he has soured on the NIB experience and is surprised people are still buying NIB pins after all the known issues.

#7522 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Stern is working with me now to fix it. I was able to stack three quarters, one on top of another and still the straight edge was above it! It was flat at one point and ABOVE thay in another. Dramatic curve.
Here's a pic with only two quarters, and you can see how even that is way below the dip that's in it!
[quoted image]

wow thats pretty bad!

"thats just next level theme integration" <inset joke about blackhole/warped spacetime in that part of the playfield here>

#7523 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

[quoted image]

When was your game made? After 2016?

#7524 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

When was your game made? After 2016?

March 2020

#7525 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

[quoted image]

dude just wow. I’ve seen this before but that’s horrible on a brand spanking new game. People have come up w/ some pretty creative braces to straighten stuff like this out, but I don’t have any pics off hand. It won’t fix it, but may make it playable.

#7526 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

[quoted image]

Wow!!! That appears to be well over 1/4". Really hope you get a populated playfield for this.

#7527 3 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

dude just wow. I’ve seen this before but that’s horrible on a brand spanking new game. People have come up w/ some pretty creative braces to straighten stuff like this out, but I don’t have any pics off hand. It won’t fix it, but may make it playable.

The only brace that I think would work would be a 3/4" x 3/4" 90-degree angle steel attached across the bottom of the PF. Would take an awful lot of 3/8" long screws across the brace too. Might have to relocate some lamps or other objects to shoe-horn it in. Its just tragic that it comes to this.

#7528 3 years ago

Even if Stern says they'll replace... Will they? I'm still waiting on a playfield they said they would replace. They told me mid October. Now they don't even respond or just tell me they don't know when they'll have it. Must be nice to have so many sales that you can treat customers like this.

#7529 3 years ago

Forgive me, I try not to be negative when at all possible but I m seriously wondering how in the world JJP (and for that matter Stern) stays in business when they are repeat offenders and compensation is either non existent or sub par at best? Rule #1 of raising children is you don't reward for bad behavior - you punish. As a gentleman early on stated - you need to make change with your wallets. I'd have to assume I'm not the only one unwilling to buy new anymore due to the sub par playfields being sent out?
If I was Slash I would have reamed some serious ass over this and demanded new fully populated playfields get shipped to those affected.
It's just beyond sad that this is happening over and over and over and over and over again.

#7530 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Forgive me, I try not to be negative when at all possible but I m seriously wondering how in the world JJP (and for that matter Stern) stays in business when they are repeat offenders and compensation is either non existent or sub par at best? Rule #1 of raising children is you don't reward for bad behavior - you punish. As a gentleman early on stated - you need to make change with your wallets. I'd have to assume I'm not the only one unwilling to buy new anymore due to the sub par playfields being sent out?
If I was Slash I would have reamed some serious ass over this and demanded new fully populated playfields get shipped to those affected.
It's just beyond sad that this is happening over and over and over and over and over again.

There is high demand for Stern and JJP games. Overall both manufacturers do a fairly good job of resolving their playfield issues. I for one am not going to let a few chips and a little bit of pooling stop me from enjoying some of the best games ever made.

I went through the supposed JJP playfield issues. Most of the photos on Pinside were re posted by Pinsiders that do not own a game and are only really on Pinside to antagonize an already sensitive topic. There are not many actual games that have playfield issues. There are plenty of BS posts and Polls but not much actual fact.

Out of interest how many new games have you bought over the last few years that have had playfield issues? I guarantee you this is not a nice feeling. I can also guarantee you that Stern and JJP have always done their best to resolve our playfield issues. Not always to our liking but they are making an effort. If you stop buying NIB where will that get the hobby?

I vote with my wallet. I will continue to buy NIB. If you go through all the posted photos on Pinside and actually work out how many affected games there are you will find it is not many. Both Stern and JJP have worked hard to resolve as many of the playfield issues as they can. I think they are both doing a good job.

#7531 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Out of interest how many new games have you bought over the last few years that have had playfield issues?

For me? All of them.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.....

#7532 3 years ago

For me? All of them.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.....

Vote with your wallet! What were your issues and did you follow through with the Distro or manufacturer?

#7533 3 years ago

double post

#7534 3 years ago

Out of interest how many new games have you bought over the last few years that have had playfield issues?

4 out of 5 NIB Sterns in the last 2.75 years. Why do I keep buying them? I have the knowledge and skill to fix them, and I want to play them. I find them quite fun. I'm disappointed in the playfield quality though.

#7535 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Even if Stern says they'll replace... Will they? I'm still waiting on a playfield they said they would replace. They told me mid October. Now they don't even respond or just tell me they don't know when they'll have it. Must be nice to have so many sales that you can treat customers like this.

Took 6 months before I got my replacement JP Pro unpopulated playfield (had chipping around a post at roughly 800 total plays, HUO). For what it's worth, I had my distro handle the correspondence with Stern as I figured they would be more likely to get their attention. I think the 6 month wait had to do with the PF not being in production at time of my claim, so had to wait for another round of JPs to be made

#7536 3 years ago

I for one am not going to let a few chips and a little bit of pooling stop me from enjoying some of the best games ever made.
I went through the supposed JJP playfield issues.

Of course it's yours and you can accept whatever you think is ok.. but
I am always surprised at the number of people that overlook and accept manufacturing defects on a $8,000 purchase
Stern/JJP have done a good job of convincing people that these issues are acceptable.
Also the big fear, at least mine, is how will those few chips and little bit of pooling progress as the game ages and the balls roll over them a few 1,000 times

#7537 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

4 out of 5 NIB Sterns in the last 2.75 years. Why do I keep buying them? I have the knowledge and skill to fix them, and I want to play them. I find them quite fun. I'm disappointed in the playfield quality though.

Thats bad luck. I've purchased 13 NIB Sterns starting with Aerosmith and 1 NIB Wonka. Every Stern has been flawless, not one issue mechanically or cosmetically. Wonka had the bad trough issue and it was quickly resolved. Certainly the people with issues are going to be louder than the ones without.

#7538 3 years ago

Vote with your wallet! What were your issues and did you follow through with the Distro or manufacturer?

Pooling and chipping. Yes, and yes - both. Spoke directly to Jack on the phone. He offered me an autographed picture. I said no.

After 7 months I received a blank playfield in a box and that's the end of it. Now I have a defective game and a playfield I cannot do anything with.

I'm not buying any more NIB machines, and I'll actively campaign against anyone else who is. I still am to this day.

#7539 3 years ago

I'm not buying any more NIB machines, and I'll actively campaign against anyone else who is. I still am to this day.

I'll think of you every time I unbox one, which will be today!

IMG_2706.jpegIMG_2706.jpeg
#7540 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'll think of you every time I unbox one, which will be today![quoted image]

That's fine. You do you. I will not buy any more NIB games. I urge others not to either.

These problems will not go away as long as the sheeple continue to remain bent over the barrel and take their punishment.

#7541 3 years ago

Quality seal on my GNR CE playfield. Both of my last JJP NIB playfields have been great. Wonka CE and GNR CE (as well as GNR SE I bought second hand).

B52E250D-8A51-4101-AD91-09227FFFEE22 (resized).jpegB52E250D-8A51-4101-AD91-09227FFFEE22 (resized).jpeg
#7542 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Quality seal on my GNR CE playfield. Both of my last JJP NIB playfields have been great. Wonka CE and GNR CE (as well as GNR SE I bought second hand).
[quoted image]

Is that under the apron? Thats consistent with what I heard from my distributor. JJP is basically testing every play field prior to assembly to make sure theres no pooling or clear coat issues.

#7543 3 years ago

That's fine. You do you. I will not buy any more NIB games. I urge others not to either.
These problems will not go away as long as the sheeple continue to remain bent over the barrel and take their punishment.

What would it take for you to give up this crusade?

#7544 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What would it take for you to give up this crusade?

He's actually not wrong....although I would say Stern is a far bigger problem than JJP. It appears JJP has been very proactive in solving these issues. Stern not so much.

#7545 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

He's actually not wrong....although I would say Stern is a far bigger problem than JJP. It appears JJP has been very proactive in solving these issues. Stern not so much.

I have considered offering to do the Wonka PF swap for him to help him feel at peace with his game (and stop torturing us about it.)

I'm still considering it. But he's so abrasive and rude that it discourages me from doing charity for him.

#7546 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I have considered offering to do the Wonka PF swap for him to help him feel at peace with his game (and stop torturing us about it.)
I'm still considering it. But he's so abrasive and rude that it discourages me from doing charity for him.

Wow thats a great offer Have u done one before? I'm sure it would be fun, and an educational exercise if one had the time/room/and tools to pull it off

#7547 3 years ago

Yup stamp is under the apron near the left hanger.

#7548 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Yup stamp is under the apron near the left hanger.

Awesome....its great that JJP is proactively addressing this issue

#7549 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'll think of you every time I unbox one, which will be today![quoted image]

Why are you, the way you are? Its very unappealing fyi.

#7550 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Why are you, the way you are? Its very unappealing fyi.

I love pinball I guess?

IMG_2712.jpegIMG_2712.jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bismarck, ND
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 151 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/151?hl=lowbeau67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.