IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 118 of 185.
#5851 3 years ago

Those of us that have chunks missing from our games just have to give into the fact that Stern isn't going to change and they aren't going to fix anything. Why would they do the right thing when people are coming out in droves to buy TMNT? Why change your manufacturing process when people are literally throwing thousands of dollars at you.

I really, really want a Jurassic Park LE, but I'll be damned if they are going to get anymore of my money while I'm missing chunks out of my Catwoman playfield. I brought it to my distributors attention almost a year ago and I still have no resolution.

It's a shame to, because I really like Stern games and always had good service through my distributor.....until now.

#5852 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Those of us that have chunks missing from our games just have to give into the fact that Stern isn't going to change and they aren't going to fix anything. Why would they do the right thing when people are coming out in droves to buy TMNT? Why change your manufacturing process when people are literally throwing thousands of dollars at you.
I really, really want a Jurassic Park LE, but I'll be damned if they are going to get anymore of my money while I'm missing chunks out of my Catwoman playfield. I brought it to my distributors attention almost a year ago and I still have no resolution.
It's a shame to, because I really like Stern games and always had good service through my distributor.....until now.

Odd your distributor wouldn't help. Looks like you have a great collection so your a solid customer.

#5853 3 years ago

I think your spot on....the reality is buying NIB games comes with a level of risk. Customers now have to assume that you'll get very little support if theres a significant issue with your game. Some distributors are better than others, but most wash their hands and defer to the manufacturer. Frankly I don't get it, but its our new reality.

#5854 3 years ago

Depends how how bad the chunking is. If it's on the bottom or side of the playfield, that's really not an issue. If it's on top in the middle that is different.

Rob

#5855 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Odd your distributor wouldn't help. Looks like you have a great collection so your a solid customer.

I have a feeling that distros are being told to push back warranty claims and make customers accept the crap quality as the new norm.

Extremely sad as some of the most recent games are absolute crackers.

#5856 3 years ago

I brought it to my distributors attention almost a year ago and I still have no resolution.

Well if your distributor is the one in the same state that you live in then that's why you have no resolution because once you buy a game from them they flat out don't give a shit about you after the sale. Of course they act like they will fight for you but they won't at all. Everytime you call them they just tell you that they are working on it to pacify you.

#5857 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well if your distributor is the one in the same state that you live in then that's why you have no resolution because once you buy a game from them they flat out don't give a shit about you after the sale. Of course they act like they will fight for you but they won't at all. Everytime you call them they just tell you that they are working on it to pacify you.

Joe enters thread in 3 - 2 - 1 ..... lol

#5858 3 years ago

There is very little a distributor can do if the manufacturer is unwilling to budge.
If the distributor believes they can milk a few more games out of you, maybe they would consider footing the bill.

#5859 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

There is very little a distributor can do if the manufacturer is unwilling to budge.
If the distributor believes they can milk a few more games out of you, maybe they would consider footing the bill.

I doubt it....the reality is distributors won't/can't really do anything, and Stern has shown its true colors.....everyone roles the dice buying NIB games from them

#5860 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I doubt it....the reality is distributors won't/can't really do anything, and Stern has shown its true colors.....everyone roles the dice buying NIB games from them

I have to disagree. While all distributors are NOT the same and no they can’t make all issues go away a good distributor Will go out of their way to do everything they can to make you satisfied with your purchase. I have only had a few support calls with the (2) I use and have yet to not have them fight for a resolution. That’s why they are there! Any OEM can take phone or internet orders for sales. They Need a qualified distributor partner to meet or exceed your buying expectations. The good ones Are out there. JMO

#5861 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

This is so true, its a roll of the dice, as a business owner i treat my customers like its my pleasure for them to choose my company . This is what stern needs, they need to put somebody that makes sure the customer is treated like its sterns privilege to have you as a customer. I deal with warranty issues constantly, some manufacturers just stink others are great.

#5862 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This is the main reason if I buy NIB I buy from Stern Authorized dealers so there is communication between your distro and Stern directly if there are issues. Now if we are thinking about the same PA distro here well Stern isn't even mentioned on their website or Facebook pages as them being an authorized dealer.

#5863 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Should flatten out!
[quoted image]

Not good! Is that the pro or prem?

#5864 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I have to disagree. While all distributors are NOT the same and no they can’t make all issues go away a good distributor Will go out of their way to do everything they can to make you satisfied with your purchase. I have only had a few support calls with the (2) I use and have yet to not have them fight for a resolution. That’s why they are there! Any OEM can take phone or internet orders for sales. They Need a qualified distributor partner to meet or exceed your buying expectations. The good ones Are out there. JMO

Yea maybe for a replacement part.....for a play field or cabinet issue I totally disagree

#5865 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Yea maybe for a replacement part.....for a play field or cabinet issue I totally disagree

Mine also helped with a replacement Playfield. Not overnight but I only made One phone call to the distributor and they did the leg work.

#5866 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Depends how how bad the chunking is. If it's on the bottom or side of the playfield, that's really not an issue. If it's on top in the middle that is different.
Rob

It's on the right orbit and at the top of both slings. I just sent them another email. I started asking for help back in August of 2019 about 60 days after it was delivered and I noticed things falling apart.

IMG_9589 (resized).JPGIMG_9589 (resized).JPG

#5867 3 years ago

It's on the right orbit and at the top of both slings. I just sent them another email. I started asking for help back in August of 2019 about 60 days after it was delivered and I noticed things falling apart.
[quoted image]

What was Stern's response? Let me guess they've been radio silent with the hope you'll just forget about it

#5868 3 years ago

[quoted image]

Looks like same problems that Deadpool guide has. A simple little washer under that guide would have prevented all that damage.

#5869 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

What was Stern's response? Let me guess they've been radio silent with the hope you'll just forget about it

According to my distributor, they put in a warranty claim and it has been documented. Not sure where that gets me, but apparently Stern is aware of the issue. I would have bought a JP Premium by now if they would have resolved my issue.....

#5870 3 years ago

According to my distributor, they put in a warranty claim and it has been documented. Not sure where that gets me, but apparently Stern is aware of the issue. I would have bought a JP Premium by now if they would have resolved my issue.....

The distributor put in the claim back in August of 2019?
Man, what a joke. What other industries/businesses blow off their customers in this manner?

#5871 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

The distributor put in the claim back in August of 2019?
Man, what a joke. What other industries/businesses blow off their customers in this manner?

Maybe Stern's plan to to wait long enough that they can then say "Sorry, it's out of warranty now - you should have done something about it sooner."

#5872 3 years ago

I bought a tmnt LE. Had the 1,8,9 diverter issue. Let my distro know i need professional help to get it fixed. By the next day Stern and my distro had someone out to help fix my game. This was my first NIB stern and while my issue was resolved at this point I do not think i will ever buy NIB again which is sad because i was gearing up to buy a JP premium(or LE if i could find used) The frustration i felt having my game out of commission at 0 plays. Well lets just say i have a Newfound respect for those who buy multiple NIB and or waiting for customer service to fix their issues.

#5873 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

I bought a tmnt LE. Had the 1,8,9 diverter issue. Let my distro know i need professional help to get it fixed. By the next day Stern and my distro had someone out to help fix my game. This was my first NIB stern and while my issue was resolved at this point I do not think i will ever buy NIB again which is sad because i was gearing up to buy a JP premium(or LE if i could find used) The frustration i felt having my game out of commission at 0 plays. Well lets just say i have a Newfound respect for those who buy multiple NIB and or waiting for customer service to fix their issues.

In in home tech in 24 hours? That's incredible service IMO

Others on here would kill for that kind of action taken!

#5874 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Nearly every NIB game I have bought from Stern has had MAJOR issues. The only ONE w/o any issues out of the box has been my Star Trek Premium made in 2016, then after 300 plays issues with LED boards started. All of my other games have had lots of chipping, flippers not working CPU board issues, many mechanical issues with toys and split cabs right out of the box!!!

#5875 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

What was the issue? What fixed the node board errors?

#5876 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Joe enters thread in 3 - 2 - 1 ..... lol

I would think he is done attacking his customers.

#5877 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

The fact is many of the pics I have seen posted are not issues just games owned by whinny bitchs

Haha! prob true

#5878 3 years ago
Quoted from Highscoresaves:

You read my mind lol. If even a percentage of buyers got That kind of service support I would be promising to buy Every game NIB from them and that distributor! I am So going to make Flipnout Zach come to my house the next bulb that goes out lol.

#5879 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Nearly every NIB game I have bought from Stern has had MAJOR issues. The only ONE w/o any issues out of the box has been my Star Trek Premium made in 2016, then after 300 plays issues with LED boards started. All of my other games have had lots of chipping, flippers not working CPU board issues, many mechanical issues with toys and split cabs right out of the box!!!

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
Don't buy a Stern. Just by reading this thread, I will never buy one. Hope your issues are addressed and you are made whole, but I think there is a very long line in front of you.

#5880 3 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
Don't buy a Stern. Just by reading this thread, I will never buy one. Hope your issues are addressed and you are made whole, but I think there is a very long line in front of you.

I no longer buy NIB. Yes, Stern's quality SUCKS all the way! But they do make the most enjoyable and fast playing machines.

#5881 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

I no longer buy NIB. Yes, Stern's quality SUCKS all the way! But they do make the most enjoyable and fast playing machines.

Danesi makes the fastest playing machines. Most enjoyable are very opinionated.
The only sterns i´d like to own are older machines and maybe beatles, if the price weren´t so inflated.

#5882 3 years ago
Quoted from Highscoresaves:

I don't buy many games especially newer titles. From past experiences i've read on the forum it seems to be either Stern fixes the problem or they tell you to pound sand. From what i gathered from speaking with customer service. It seems they set up service calls more often than one would think.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

What was the issue? What fixed the node board errors?

Fixing the diverter solved the issues. If the diverter doesn't work the ball will just keep shooting balls out hoping to load the van and also will keep throwing node errors. I personally think its a flawed design. I'm surprised they didn't program a way to disable the diverter or if it isn't working using virtual locks.

#5883 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

I don't buy many games especially newer titles. From past experiences i've read on the forum it seems to be either Stern fixes the problem or they tell you to pound sand. From what i gathered from speaking with customer service. It seems they set up service calls more often than one would think.

Fixing the diverter solved the issues. If the diverter doesn't work the ball will just keep shooting balls out hoping to load the van and also will keep throwing node errors. I personally think its a flawed design. I'm surprised they didn't program a way to disable the diverter or if it isn't working using virtual locks.

Probably can't do that because the game has 8 balls and the standard troth can only hold 6, so some of those have to go to the van or the game won't know where all the balls are.

#5884 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

If they wanted that possible they could only put 6 balls in the game.

#5885 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

There is a 3rd option now apparently. They just ghost you. I've sent multiple messages to Chas and Patrick over the last couple weeks for updates on my JP Prem warped PF. ZERO response to my last couple of emails. Went like this:
- Distributor - My PF is warped, what can we do to fix it? (June 26th)
- Immediate message to Stern asking for advise. (June 26th)
- Stern immediately replies asking for pictures. (June 26th)
- I make and send a video and send it to them. (June 26th)
- They respond quickly stating the video doesn't help. Take pictures with coins under level so they can see how warped it is. (June 26th)
- I respond same day with those pictures showing a dime fits under my level to make things flat. (June 26th)
- Stern responds stating they will add this pictures to my ticket (June 26th)
- ZERO correspondence since then. My last ask for an update was July 13th

It's not like I've spent $20K in the past 12 months on new games or something. I sold some stuff and games as I wanted DP, Maiden and JP. I really want Elvira and TMNT too and planned to sell my METLE to help fund those two purchases. Needless to say, my MET is not going up for sale any time soon....

#5886 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I believe this to be true Mike but when they dont even try to help you that pisses me off.

#5887 3 years ago

Noob pinball owner here as I only have TAF and Stranger Things Premium atm. What and where should I be looking for on my StrTh? Where's the most common places for this pin to chip or bubble? TIA.

#5888 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I believe this to be true Mike but when they dont even try to help you that pisses me off.

I agree with you 100%. A lot of these guys do nothing.

When you have a problem that requires an expensive fix, I don’t think it matters which distributor you buy from. Stern is hesitant to make it right and you know that the distributor, sure as hell, isn’t taking any money out of his wallet to make it right.

It’s very frustrating how this industry operates, especially when you take into account that each transaction is at least 6K.

#5889 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I agree with you 100%. A lot of these guys do nothing.
When you have a problem that requires an expensive fix, I don’t think it matters which distributor you buy from. Stern is hesitant to make it right and you know that the distributor, sure as hell, isn’t taking any money out of his wallet to make it right.
It’s very frustrating how this industry operates, especially when you take into account that each transaction is at least 6K.

Totally agree....on top of all that the manufacturers provide zero labor when fixing a problem. They rely on the talents of home owners to provide valuable services to help fix their machines. We all enjoy tinkering with our games, but when their brand new its a frustrating process. All these guys are great at sending u out a broken plastic, bad board, bulb, switch, etc....but when it come big ticket items like play fields, cabinets, etc they run for the hills.....their warranty and service is basically a complete joke.

#5890 3 years ago
Quoted from jhngh41:

Noob pinball owner here as I only have TAF and Stranger Things Premium atm. What and where should I be looking for on my StrTh? Where's the most common places for this pin to chip or bubble? TIA.

Around the posts and under ball guides.

#5891 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Not to sound like a dick or to defend Stern's quality, but that issue sounds pretty minor. I had a friend that wanted to buy a machine but had no interest in learning to fix it. After much back and forth, I convinced him not to buy one. Dive in or get ready for constant frustration. It's always been this way in pinball, but Stern does take it to new highs.

#5892 3 years ago

When I purchased my last NIB stern I asked my distributor what I should do I were to ever have a problem with the machine. I was told that the distributor can do nothing to help the customer. He then told me if I have any kind of problems to contact stern directly. I would rather deal with stern directly anyways so I had no problem with his answer.

#5893 3 years ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

When I purchased my last NIB stern I asked my distributor what I should do I were to ever have a problem with the machine. I was told that the distributor can do nothing to help the customer. He then told me if I have any kind of problems to contact stern directly. I would rather deal with stern directly anyways so I had no problem with his answer.

Well my answer to him then would be why the F do we need distributors for? I would rather just buy from Stern and save a grand or whatever it is and cut out the middle man.

#5894 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well my answer to him then would be why the F do we need distributors for? I would rather just buy from Stern and save a grand or whatever it is and cut out the middle man.

I liked buying an Ice bubble hockey direct. Great service too.

#5895 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I liked buying an Ice bubble hockey direct. Great service too.

Yup me too.

#5896 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Not to sound like a dick or to defend Stern's quality, but that issue sounds pretty minor. I had a friend that wanted to buy a machine but had no interest in learning to fix it. After much back and forth, I convinced him not to buy one. Dive in or get ready for constant frustration. It's always been this way in pinball, but Stern does take it to new highs.

Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Some friends who play my games ask me, if they can buy their own machine. I always reply sure, but expect them to brake. Since it's a mechanical game, there will always go something wrong. So they better know or learn how to fix it.
Sure I am helping my friends in the beginning when something goes wrong. But I can't always come over to fix it.
So pinball owners should learn to repair basic stuff like adjusting switches which are not behaving as they should be, learn how to solder wires back on, replace lamps or rubbers in tight locations, which does require to partially disassemble the game and so on...
Of course I can't expect them to diagnose broken PCBs and replace ICs and stuff... But basics should everyone able to fix.

It's like having old cars.
You can either learn to maintain and fix it yourself. Or pay someone to do so, which will end up being expensive...
Or option 3 leave it alone and pretend it is fully working

#5897 3 years ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Sounds to me like you found the Wrong distributor if That was his advice! Just don’t feel slighted when the (2) people at Stern answering thousands of global questions a day don’t get to your solution quickly vs say the distributor that has 3 new clients that Month. The distributor Earned your business to help you, why would you wave that to stand in a que with the masses?

#5898 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sounds to me like you found the Wrong distributor if That was his advice! Just don’t feel slighted when the (2) people at Stern answering thousands of global questions a day don’t get to your solution quickly vs say the distributor that has 3 new clients that Month. The distributor Earned your business to help you, why would you wave that to stand in a que with the masses?

My distro would probably do a great job, but I have to send an email anyway. I deal directly with Stern, and they have shown little evidence of preferential replies. It took time and multiple emails, but I did eventually get a replacement pf. I see a distro as not much more than a storefront, but that's just me.

#5899 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I see a distro as not much more than a storefront, but that's just me.

Agreed. Just go with the distributor with the best price.

#5900 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Agreed. Just go with the distributor with the best price.

Yep...no doubt

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grindstone, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

8,245 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Georgetown, KY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 118 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/118?hl=dergoetz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.