IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 185.
#5801 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I heard a rumor that if Who-Dey becomes a liberal and starts licking some serious culo, he will get his playfields. And then some.

Lol that's pretty funny! Sorry not a chance though!

#5802 3 years ago

Then you got your money's worth.

#5803 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

This guy has trolled this before he’s just here for the entertainment

LOL So tell me what is the deep meaning behind the reason you are on Pinside

#5804 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

LOL So tell me what is the deep meaning behind the reason you are on Pinside

I am here for o-din. His posts entertain me and make me laugh when im working the graveyard shift. I am not leaving until they close his thread down called “ lets close this thread down”.

#5805 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes but JJP actually fixed the issue instead of just removing artwork around playfield posts. JJP fixed the issue back in October of 2019, that's 9 months ago...like you said above time to get over it!

There is no post of playfield chipping of Stern games started after Oct 2019 so get over it

#5806 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My game looks like this and plays fine. That’s the only point I’m trying to make. Plenty of info out there that it’s is common for NIB games.
If it’s something you don’t like, don’t buy new games.
I’ll say it again. I don’t work for stern. Did you miss that last time?

work

noun
activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.
"he was tired after a day's work in the fields"
a task or tasks to be undertaken; something a person or thing has to do.
"they made sure the work was progressing smoothly"

- Lyman

#5807 3 years ago

My NIB JP pro made in feb 2020 is flawless.

My NIB CGC Monster Bash remake has dimpling everywhere.

Overall I was blown away by the quality of my Stern machine.

I don’t mind dimpling, I believe lighting plays a huge factor in what you see/don’t see.

There seems to be a lot of false information in this thread.

#5808 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Just because yours is perfect doesn’t mean another in the same time frame is perfect. Mine was made in March and has raised inserts. I know they are raised because I can feel them, see them, and a level isn’t flat across them. I know this isn’t correct because other manufacturers can make a flat surface with inserts..

#5809 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That's simply not true. They band aided the problem by putting paper thin clearcoat on the playfields and they look like shit now and probably wont hold up over time. Also there have been lots of insert issues popping up lately. Bottom line is this thread needs to stay open because they aren't taking care of customers that buy their 6-10K toys.

Exactly. They use to take care of customers.

#5810 3 years ago

Dimpling was a thing even on 90's games. AFM was an airball circus and the playfield dimpled on that as bad, or worse than any Stern I have seen. Check the RGP archives if you don't believe me. I fixed arcade games in the 90's so I saw it myself on our AFM. Some playfields looked so bad that some owners asked WMS for replacement fields.

Rob

#5811 3 years ago

Some angry Stern distributors in here

#5812 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Dimpling was a thing even on 90's games. AFM was an airball circus and the playfield dimpled on that as bad, or worse than any Stern I have seen. Check the RGP archives if you don't believe me. I fixed arcade games in the 90's so I saw it myself on our AFM. Some playfields looked so bad that some owners asked WMS for replacement fields.
Rob

Don’t doubt that at all. And since it was mostly operators back then, they couldn’t have cared less about dimpling. Might have been an “issue”, but no one cared.

#5813 3 years ago

work
noun
activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.
"he was tired after a day's work in the fields"
a task or tasks to be undertaken; something a person or thing has to do.
"they made sure the work was progressing smoothly"
- Lyman
</blockquote

Comment edited. Don’t need Stern trying to get me fired at my job. I’ll get back to “work”.

#5814 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I only own three pins at the moment, all of which are JJP

Hmm. Fills in a lot of blanks.

#5815 3 years ago

#5816 3 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

Just because yours is perfect doesn’t mean another in the same time frame is perfect. Mine was made in March and has raised inserts. I know they are raised because I can feel them, see them, and a level isn’t flat across them. I know this isn’t correct because other manufacturers can make a flat surface with inserts..

I don’t consider ”raised“ inserts an issue. They have no impact on play feel or durability. It’s your money though so if you want to worry about that instead of enjoying your game... you’re absolutely allowed to do that.

#5817 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I don’t consider ”raised“ inserts an issue. They have no impact on play feel or durability. It’s your money though so if you want to worry about that instead of enjoying your game... you’re absolutely allowed to do that.

A raised insert will affect the motion of the ball, so it is a huge deal - a much bigger deal than the micro-dimpling on many playfields.

IMO, small dimples that can only be seen in just the right light (and don't affect the ball motion) are just a minor issue. "Cratering" (big dimples that are easily seen and may affect the ball) and raised inserts are a big issue.

#5818 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

No impact to play or durability when you have an uneven surface? That's just not how things work. Raised inserts are an issue, but it's an issue that you either don't have or don't care about. Leave the personal opinion out of it. It's either an even surface or it's not. I will agree that small dimples aren't an issue but that's not what i'm talking about.

#5819 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I don’t consider ”raised“ inserts an issue.

#5820 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

This is why Stern keeps pumping out the current quality level - people keep buying regardless.

#5821 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

This is why Stern keeps pumping out the current quality level - people keep buying regardless.

He joined Pinside three weeks ago and hes already a playfield expert. Lol

#5822 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

The reason I put “raised” in quotation marks is because we are taking about nano meters. Raised enough to be somewhat perceivable when leaning into the playfield under the right lighting conditions. This has as much impact in gameplay as a dimple, a spec of dust, or a micro scratch on the ball- in other words zero.

#5823 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He joined Pinside three weeks ago and hes already a playfield expert. Lol

Yes because being on an Internet forum is the only way to know.

#5824 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Yes because being on an Internet forum is the only way to know.

If you don't think that raised inserts is a problem on a pinball machine playfield i want some of what you are smoking.

#5825 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

The reason I put “raised” in quotation marks is because we are taking about nano meters. Raised enough to be somewhat perceivable when leaning into the playfield under the right lighting conditions. This has as much impact in gameplay as a dimple, a spec of dust, or a micro scratch on the ball- in other words zero.

Incorrect assumption. As I said before "I can feel them, see them, and a level isn’t flat across them." You can also hear the ball hit the edge of an insert when rolling a ball over one. It's not "zero" or "some lighting trick on the eyes."

Again just because it's not happening on your playfield doesn't mean it's not on others. Since it's not happening to you why are you even in this thread?

#5826 3 years ago

Post a video of the insert affecting the ball and I’ll believe you. I’m open to being wrong.

#5827 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you don't think that raised inserts is a problem on a pinball machine playfield i want some of what you are smoking.<

If you don't think that raised inserts is a problem on a pinball machine playfield i want some of what you are smoking.

There are varying degrees of raised brother

#5828 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Post a video of the insert affecting the ball and I’ll believe you. I’m open to being wrong.

I'm not here to prove to you that you were wrong in this. I'm already working with Stern. I'm here to converse with others that have the issue and hopefully remedy.

#5829 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Hmm. Fills in a lot of blanks.

Does it? Because I've only owned Stern and added a Stern since you quoted me. Keep reaching.

#5830 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

If you can feel the raised insert that’s all you need to know. It will affect play and wear quicker over time - potentially compounded by thinner clear.

If you’re buying machines as a typical home consumable / toy then fine, but some of us like being stewards of a “commercial quality” collectible as Stern advertises - or at least use to until recently.

#5831 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

That's Pinside for you LOL

#5832 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

If you can feel the raised insert that’s all you need to know. It will affect play and wear quicker over time - potentially compounded by thinner clear.
If you’re buying machines as a typical home consumable / toy then fine, but some of us like being stewards of a “commercial quality” collectible as Stern advertises - or at least use to until recently.

Commercial products are not designed to be cosmetically perfect under a magnifying glass , they are made to last and take a beating from on field usage. A stern pro will do a hell of a lot better in a bar than a JPP or spooky pin in terms of downtime for maintenance/adjustments regardless of how “perfect” their playfields look.

#5833 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Commercial products are not designed to be cosmetically perfect under a magnifying glass , they are made to last and take a beating from on field usage.

Never said they should be cosmetically "perfect," that Stern pins are not reliable, or that dimples are a big deal. Raised inserts, pooling and chipping are performance and durability not cosmetic issues. And Stern has said over-and-over that premiums & LE's are targeted at the home collector not location market.

Stern obviously has plenty of buyers, but I think they're leaving money on the table by not improving playfield and cabinet quality. I use to buy most premiums or LE's new or lightly used but have taken a pause and bought Heist and Hot Wheels instead. Spike, LCD, metal backbox, etc are all innovations, but changes in the cabinet and playfield are just cost reductions - and I'm not talking about dimple-gate.

#5834 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

How could something that causes the PF to not be flat and level, not cause a problem? What a goofy "thought process".

#5835 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Commercial products are not designed to be cosmetically perfect under a magnifying glass , they are made to last and take a beating from on field usage. A stern pro will do a hell of a lot better in a bar than a JPP or spooky pin in terms of downtime for maintenance/adjustments regardless of how “perfect” their playfields look.

Ahh, the whole "moving of the goal posts" to justify your stance. A timeless, yet futile maneuver.

#5836 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Never said they should be cosmetically "perfect," that Stern pins are not reliable, or that dimples are a big deal. Raised inserts, pooling and chipping are performance and durability not cosmetic issues. And Stern has said over-and-over that premiums & LE's are targeted at the home collector not location market.
Stern obviously has plenty of buyers, but I think they're leaving money on the table by not improving playfield and cabinet quality. I use to buy most premiums or LE's new or lightly used but have taken a pause and bought Heist and Hot Wheels instead. Spike, LCD, metal backbox, etc are all innovations, but changes in the cabinet and playfield are just cost reductions - and I'm not talking about dimple-gate.

Yet there is just one guy complaining about it even though every stern pin with the thinner clear has this “issue”. Yes you can somewhat “feel” the insert when you pass your finger over them, but I think calling them raised is extreme. If it affected play people would be complaining... it doesn’t. The idea that it would affect “performance” and that someone playing would notice is laughable. The long term durability concern is also purely hypothetical...

#5837 3 years ago

I still haven’t seen one pic of a TMNT playfield with the ooey-gooey issues from the JP era. Fixed?

#5838 3 years ago

As someone who constantly rags on stern for QC issues. I can honestly say on my tmnt le this is hands down by far the best playfield ive seen from stern in years. Playfield looks and feels like glass. No raised inserts.

#5839 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

As someone who constantly rags on stern for QC issues. I can honestly say on my tmnt le this is hands down by far the best playfield ive seen from stern in years. Playfield looks and feels like glass. No raised inserts.

Another LE like this. I bet the all are. I bet all pro playfields have the thinner clear that you can feel the inserts.

#5840 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

That's terrific news. Now hopefully pro owners can say the same!

#5841 3 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

I still haven’t seen one pic of a TMNT playfield with the ooey-gooey issues from the JP era. Fixed?

Yes, Stern now leave all posts and parts loose on the playfield to stop it happening starting from TMNT

#5842 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

When I first got my Space Shuttle I could never shoot the ball directly into the right ball lock with the left flipper. It seemed to always be hitting the plastic above the entrance. Among other things I tried raising the plastic, but that didn’t help. I finally realized that the insert in front of the lock was slightly raised (fraction of a millimetre). I pressed it back down so it was flush and - voila! - I could shoot the ball into the lock. Now, of course, it’s kind of obvious to me, that raised inserts can definitely affect ball play and I’m always checking for this “tectonic movement”. Now it can be, that depending on how fast the ball is going and what’s behind the insert, it being raised won’t have much effect. In my case, it caused the ball to go airborn, but didn’t really seem to move the ball right or left - as far as I could tell. Hitting the right or left corner of the insert may have changed the direction of the ball, but it would have hit a post so it wouldn’t have mattered. Essentially, a Cliffy protector will have similiar effect to a raised insert, so depending on what’s behind it it might make the shot more difficult.

And no, I will not push the insert up on my Space Shuttle, so I can make a video for you !

#5843 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Yes, Stern now leave all posts and parts loose on the playfield to stop it happening starting from TMNT

You win some and lose some. I'll take loose parts over a crappy playfield any day of the week.

#5844 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Yet there is just one guy complaining about it even though every stern pin with the thinner clear has this “issue”. Yes you can somewhat “feel” the insert when you pass your finger over them, but I think calling them raised is extreme. If it affected play people would be complaining... it doesn’t. The idea that it would affect “performance” and that someone playing would notice is laughable. The long term durability concern is also purely hypothetical...

Seriously, how do you not understand something that is raised and can feel(Although it shouldnt be) is going to affect gameplay and ball travel?

#5845 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

You win some and lose some. I'll take loose parts over a crappy playfield any day of the week.

Im guessing you didnt understand the sarcasm. You should accept neither.

#5846 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

That´s good news, let´s hope it stays that way.

#5847 3 years ago

Should flatten out!

Screenshot_20200720-104803_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200720-104803_Facebook (resized).jpg
#5848 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Should flatten out!
[quoted image]

only after 20k + games, not after 3k

#5849 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Loose parts can damage the playfield.

#5850 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Should flatten out!
[quoted image]

That looks like a fine marbling, Stern Prime.

4b0a7b9c99bb24c3c5e12c07ee2a465d62b3da47 (resized).jpg4b0a7b9c99bb24c3c5e12c07ee2a465d62b3da47 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 22.00
$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,599 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, MA
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/117?hl=joncrox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.