IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 185.
#5701 3 years ago

It was just made and has the large metal brace that you posted in the second photo.

#5702 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I noticed the quality part in Stern's latest motto has been dropped...

Old motto
"Stern Pinball, Inc., the world’s oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball machines"

New motto
"A global lifestyle brand based on the iconic and outrageously fun modern American game of pinball"

Atleast they are being honest then!

#5703 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The cabinet splitting was probably due to not using the metal corner braces,

The cabinets just weren’t properly made, glued. Tons of games didn’t have those WPC brackets and it’s never been an issue.

#5704 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Just got this NIB. Will this be a problem in the future??
[quoted image]

Yes and it's a problem now too.

#5705 3 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Yes and it's a problem now too.

What will happen? How does this cause a problem?

#5706 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

[quoted image]

It could be a problem in the future and result in the cabinet separating and or a tear in one of the decals. How long have you had the game? Have you called Stern yet to see what they will do? I heard of some people getting replacement cabinets due to cabinet separation but that was a few years back.

If Stern refuses to do anything you could likely inject wood glue into the area using something like below (may need an actual needle to get in the area) and then use a clutch bar clamp like below to hold it in place while it dries. If multiple front cabinet corners are affected I would attempt the repair all at once versus doing one corner at a time. Also, put something between the clamp and cabinet to held spread out the pressure from the clamp to prevent it from digging into your cabinet / decals. Overall I think that would help mitigate any issues in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/Dispense-All-Industrial-Syringe-Syringes/dp/B07HPBG71M/ref=pd_sbs_328_5/134-0396232-3823916

https://www.amazon.com/Bessey-GSCC2-536-2-5-Inch-36-Inch-Economy/dp/B000FA0BMW/ref=sr_1_2

#5707 3 years ago

I have had the game for two days. I emailed Stern and have not heard back.

#5708 3 years ago

Contact your distributor

#5709 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

What game? Is it old stock from a distributor or current?

Actually, on that note, are new TMNT Le's still coming with cabinet brackets installed and ply cabinet bottoms?

#5710 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Get ready for a lesson in frustration. You will likely get nowhere, customer service is horrible.

#5711 3 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

[quoted image]

If that was my game I would fill the crack with wood glue now.

That will only get bigger, the plys are coming apart.

Just my opinion

#5712 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Get ready for a lesson in frustration. You will likely get nowhere, customer service is horrible.

download (1) (resized).jpegdownload (1) (resized).jpeg
#5713 3 years ago

NEW STOCK IM Build date FEB 2020

#5714 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

I set up in my shop with great lighting, and i got hosed.
Looks like i got sent a playfield that started to get populated on the bottom and was removed do to quality issues and then sent to me to replace the playfield with quality issues. At this point im not giving anymore time or energy to stern. I will also not be giving any more of my money or support for their products, they make very fun games, but you just cant treat your customers so poorly. Someone at Stern needs to change this poor treatment policy.

609CBB8D-60BD-40EA-B1C2-5EC0CC81184C (resized).jpeg609CBB8D-60BD-40EA-B1C2-5EC0CC81184C (resized).jpegDC9BC119-5B98-4C65-AB11-2E3CCA3FC853 (resized).jpegDC9BC119-5B98-4C65-AB11-2E3CCA3FC853 (resized).jpeg8E33A5BC-6420-4BA6-895F-9A495C50EE62 (resized).jpeg8E33A5BC-6420-4BA6-895F-9A495C50EE62 (resized).jpeg7476B0C6-EC43-4482-9593-DBE45A97FF5A (resized).jpeg7476B0C6-EC43-4482-9593-DBE45A97FF5A (resized).jpegB24ED1F9-1A98-4CA0-B5EB-4C84DDFA87D5 (resized).jpegB24ED1F9-1A98-4CA0-B5EB-4C84DDFA87D5 (resized).jpegDE79941D-EACC-4CEC-85D3-AD67F5B22242 (resized).jpegDE79941D-EACC-4CEC-85D3-AD67F5B22242 (resized).jpegD9936E69-1B14-4144-913D-263E7BAC3890 (resized).jpegD9936E69-1B14-4144-913D-263E7BAC3890 (resized).jpeg
Added over 4 years ago:

Positive vibrations

#5715 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Looks like i got sent a playfield that started to get populated on the bottom and was removed do to quality issues and then sent to me to replace the playfield with quality issues. At this point im not giving anymore time or energy to stern. I will also not be giving any more of my money or support for their products, they make very fun games, but you just cant treat your customers so poorly. Someone at Stern needs to change this poor treatment policy.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You lost the lottery twice. Unbelievable.

#5716 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow that is unbelievable!

#5717 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Wow.

#5718 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Lots of the newer sterns show more wear than that in as little as 100 plays. Hence the increase in popularity of these protectors.

Turning the trough eject power down will help prevent wear as well.

#5719 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

I see the scratches on the bottom, but other than that what's wrong with the pf? I'm too much of a newb to see what's wrong with the topside, it looks fine to me.

#5720 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

Wow that is unbelievable!

Not really. After reading this entire thread, I find it very believable.

Just glad Stern no longer makes any games I want to play, let alone look at or buy.

#5721 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I see the scratches on the bottom, but other than that what's wrong with the pf? I'm too much of a newb to see what's wrong with the topside, it looks fine to me.

There's nothing wrong with the top of the playfield from what I see. The ribbing effect is minor and only really visible under direct light. Many playfields are like that.

Rob

#5722 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

There's nothing wrong with the top of the playfield from what I see. The ribbing effect is minor and only really visible under direct light. Many playfields are like that.
Rob

Theres something under the playfield art sticking up. Really doesnt matter at this point, i have no recourse, but to accept this is just the way it is at Stern Pinball Inc..
Im just sharing because this is a playfield issue thread.

#5723 3 years ago
89168C82-F98E-4766-9BCC-1AE7EB6FC177 (resized).jpeg89168C82-F98E-4766-9BCC-1AE7EB6FC177 (resized).jpegD96C53EC-4FEC-4549-B6FD-6C27BE748119 (resized).jpegD96C53EC-4FEC-4549-B6FD-6C27BE748119 (resized).jpeg
#5724 3 years ago

That really sucks, but why not at least give Stern a chance to make it right? Who knows, maybe they’ll surprise you and send a proper playfield.

#5725 3 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

That really sucks, but why not at least give Stern a chance to make it right? Who knows, maybe they’ll surprise you and send a proper playfield.

They replied, they’re not really acknowledging the defects in the pics. Its very hard to email with them, its usually 24-48 hrs between responses, and its always a response about forwarding to one of the depts. and waiting for a response, completely on purpose, we live in an age of instant communication no reason to treat customers so crappy. In the past 10 years ive spent about 100k on stern games, ask me in another 10 what i spent. (O) will be the answer.

#5726 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

[quoted image][quoted image]

does this correspond perfectly to a hole under (and than screws were pushed to far/hard) !?
or not, and its in the wood/paint/clear ?

#5727 3 years ago

I don't think any playfield Stern sends you is going to be 100% perfect. If it were me and I was going to spend the time to do a playfield swap id send the playfield out to Neo or Kruzman to re clear before putting in the effort. The result will be much nicer than anything Stern is putting out.

#5728 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I don't think any playfield Stern sends you is going to be 100% perfect. If it were me and I was going to spend the time to do a playfield swap id send the playfield out to Neo or Kruzman to re clear before putting in the effort. The result will be much nicer than anything Stern is putting out.

I have a local clearcoater, problem is its something under the art, between the art and wood, if it was above the art it would be easy to have him re-clear.

#5729 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

problem is its something under the art, between the art and wood

It almost looks like someone installed too long of screws from the backside and the screw tips almost popped through the top layer. Do any of these spots line up with screw holes on the backside? Just curious.

#5730 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

It almost looks like someone installed too long of screws from the backside and the screw tips almost popped through the top layer. Do any of these spots line up with screw holes on the backside? Just curious.

Good point - may explain why they started installing the lower Playfield then stopped.

Why the f would they send him this pf? Who is making these decisions?

#5731 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Oh lord! So that’s the tip of a screw being sent too deep pushing up art layer?

If it was installed then the ball will rip through the rest of the art around it and then start scratching up balls.

Does a magnet stick to it?
Can you push it down flat?

If there is no metal then you’d probably be able to get it recleared as you already said (not that you should have to!).

#5732 3 years ago

I have a similar spot on my JPLE. Nothing to see pushing through. I put a playfield protector on so no issue, but do think playfield quality is low, as other parts with Stern. But hey they only cost 10k so what can you expect for such a bargain

#5733 3 years ago

There is no screws in the playfield , but the dimples were definitely screwed into and then removed, also its all blotchy on the underside of the playfield, not that its a big deal, none of my other stern games have scratches and gouges on the underside, so even though Their email says this is nothing out of the ordinary it sure looks bad vs all my other stern games.

#5734 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Just when you thought you had seen it all. Great move Stern, you just lost a customer that has spent 100K in games from you!

Oh yeah and me too because you wont replace my two bad playfields. Ive only spent a measly 50K though so Not a big deal there.

#5735 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Just when you thought you had seen it all. Great move Stern, you just lost a customer that has spent 100K in games from you!
Oh yeah and me too because you wont replace my two bad playfields. Ive only spent a measly 50K though so Not a big deal there.

And yet with almost 6k posts in this thread, people will still buy them and then complain about them after knowing all of Sterns shitty business practices and low grade quality of their machines.

#5736 3 years ago
#5737 3 years ago

That sums it up real well!

#5738 3 years ago

All of the these playfield problems and customer frustrations from them could be solved if Stern spent another $25 per playfield as CPR already does. All time record high prices with yearly price increases and quality is going down. There's no excuse other then greed at this point.

#5739 3 years ago

It might benefit the pinball community if all manufacturers would seek out the best quality parts they could find.

#5740 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It might benefit the pinball community if all manufacturers would seek out the best quality parts they could find.

I love that idea, but how is that possible at only 6K-12K per machine?
Corners must be cut at these bargain basement prices.

#5741 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nah, stupid idea.

#5742 3 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

And yet with almost 6k posts in this thread, people will still buy them and then complain about them after knowing all of Sterns shitty business practices and low grade quality of their machines.

Do you vote with your fingers and not play any of these Sterns and JJPs? If people do not buy the games people do not play the games and this does not help anyone.

#5743 3 years ago

Tmnt LE owners are already having their machines fail. Rear diverter at turtle van. Some are reporting only a handful of plays and it fails. Did they test the game and put a few hundred games on it first? Just to think people spent 9k plus on these. Gotta have it’s.

#5744 3 years ago

So now that jjp fixed their issues, why doesn't the thread title get changed to "continued playfield issues with stern?'

Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Tmnt LE owners are already having their machines fail. Rear diverter at turtle van. Some are reporting only a handful of plays and it fails. Did they test the game and put a few hundred games on it first? Just to think people spent 9k plus on these. Gotta have it’s.

Yeah, but that can be fixed. Playfields being junk is a much much bigger headache.

#5745 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So now that jjp fixed their issues, why doesn't the thread title get changed to "continued playfield issues with stern?'

Honest question - how have they fixed their playfields any more than Stern? The latest Wonka playfields are not pooling and chipping but isn’t the same true for current Sterns? Neither has given even basic cause & corrective action for past issues so how do we know if the “fixes” are robust and how playfields will hold up over time.

#5746 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Honest question - how have they fixed their playfields any more than Stern? The latest Wonka playfields are not pooling and chipping but isn’t the same true for current Sterns? Neither has given even basic cause & corrective action for past issues so how do we know if the “fixes” are robust and how playfields will hold up over time.

They are not longer putting a thick, glossy layer of clear on. The clear is noticeably thinner now.

#5747 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Do you vote with your fingers and not play any of these Sterns and JJPs? If people do not buy the games people do not play the games and this does not help anyone.

It’s been well documented that JJP has corrected playfield issues!

#5748 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

They are not longer putting a thick, glossy layer of clear on. The clear is noticeably thinner now.

I realize that, but JJP and Stern are basically doing the same thing so why only remove JJP from the thread title like Doctor6 is suggesting.

#5749 3 years ago

The obvious big difference is Stern owners are still complaining of playfield issues and JJP buyers are not

#5750 3 years ago

All I can say is that my ACNC playfield is glass smooth and has no dimples after 2000 plays. The wood looks thicker and looks of better quality than the used Deadpool Pro I just bought which came with a NIB playfield included because of pooling and chipping. The surface of the NIB playfield is rough (can feel the screening everywhere under the clear even more than the existing chipped playfield. So thinner CC is a fact. But like I said, the playfield is glass smooth on my Spooky ACNC. Nowhere do I feel any raised screening. And no pooling and chipping either! It's the same with my 2016 Star Trek Pro. Also, no problems with my Hobbit.
I will NOT buy another Spike game used or new unless this changes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 134.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lewiston, NY
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.95
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/115?hl=mr_outlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.