IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 185.
#5551 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Yes, compressed air is how I got the particles out as well. I had the early thicker protector. Less user friendly for sure. But I did a full restore with PPS repro playfield. It was an early run with no light boards. What a PITA! Deadpool would be a walk in the park by comparison. I would imagine that protector on your F-14 is providing a smooth surface over the raised inserts. Unless you clamped them back down and epoxied them from underneath?

It is providing a really smooth surface. I re-levelled all of the inserts and glued but a few of the arrow heads have broken free anyway and started to raise again. If I was doing a full restore I would have replaced them completely as the colors are faded and some are even broken a bit. Probably from the heat of the lights. Even with the few raised inserts the protector levels that out no problem. There is work to do for sure if I decide to do it.

I can't compare how the new protectors perform against a normally clear coated playfield. I've never had the experience to play two to compare. Compared to a mostly mylar'd playfield tho it's very similar. The other machines I've played with protectors are a capt fantastic and a jungle lord both with the old style. No bueno

#5552 3 years ago

It most definitely seems that it's dependent on the title as to how performance is affected. I thought F-14 played really well with the protector on. Other games seem to be altered much more according to what I've read from others here over the years. A lot of guys on the Hardtop thread are asking for F-14. It may get made given the sheer numbers that were manufactured and the fact that they all have beat playfields.

#5553 3 years ago

If I had only ever played the older, thicker playfield protectors I'd be agreeing with everyone else. It's not a great experience.

The newer protector plays more like a freshly waxed cleared pin to me. You see some crazy spin early on but as it gets used that goes away a bit slower than it would on a cleared pin. Little things can make changes like that.

I just replaced my flipper rubbers with titans on my stranger things and potc and the spin I'm getting is crazy. Taking some getting used to. That type of spin is what I was seeing on my f-14 after putting it on. I've had the protector on for almost a year now and I don't even notice it anymore.

#5554 3 years ago

Playfield protectors suck

#5555 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

i was also told stern wants the old one back. Im going to do the swap then send back the old one as long as they include a return receipt, they said they would.

Tape it directly to the Playfield and send it back.

#5556 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Tape it directly to the Playfield and send it back.

I finally received a shipping notice. I have to admit im worried, UPS deliveries have looked like its kicked off a building lately.

#5557 3 years ago

Have a playfield protector on BSD and it’s great, don't even Know it’s there but recently fitted one to my FT and the ball is bouncing off posts and jumping into the wire ramps. Had to fit clear washers on the posts to stop the ball bouncing up, that never happened before. Ever.

#5558 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

In my case its unpopulated, i was also told stern wants the old one back. Im going to do the swap then send back the old one as long as they include a return receipt, they said they would. I think making customers wait 6-12 months or more is crappy, this kind of treatment is on purpose, starts at the top.

Tell them you and your family all have coronavirus, but you soldiered on and managed to swap the Playfield anyway. Tell them you can’t guarantee everyone hasn’t sneezed on the playfield, but if they’d like it back you and your family can personally drop it off next week.

And then tell them to Vaffanculo.

#5559 3 years ago

I picked up an HUO Family Guy a couple weeks and was looking at it the other night thinking "what the hell happened Stern". The game probably weighs 50lbs more then my Ghostbusters premium thanks to the all wood head and more parts. The game has a decent number of plays but the playfield looks better then my Ghostbusters which has around 300 plays. Even the direct print cabinet looks better then the cheap looking decals on today's games. Today Stern is charging over double the price for games then those made a decade ago, with less parts and overall lower quality...

#5560 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I picked up an HUO Family Guy a couple weeks and was looking at it the other night thinking "what the hell happened Stern". The game probably weighs 50lbs more then my Ghostbusters premium thanks to the all wood head and more parts. The game has a decent number of plays but the playfield looks better then my Ghostbusters which has around 300 plays. Even the direct print cabinet looks better then the cheap looking decals on today's games. Today Stern is charging over double the price for games then those made a decade ago, with less parts and overall lower quality...

How do you only have 300 plays on your GB after owning it 3 or 4 years??

#5561 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

To be fair it did take Dwight three years to finally get code on it

#5562 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Meh. The decals on my JP2 and Beatles look great...2 recent titles. My KISS decals are another story...but they apparently learned from their screwup.

Less parts? Nah. Cheaper parts? Yeah.

As long as the games play great and the licenses excite people, the games will keep selling...

#5563 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

To be fair it did take Dwight three years to finally get code on it

True but still that's like literally never turning your game on. I know lots of people dont play their games much and it just always makes me wonder why. I haven't played mine much either because I work a lot and I have other games but I'm gonna guess that I have 1800 or so games on it maybe?

#5564 3 years ago

Haven't visited this thread in awhile, but after a year of fair warning are people still buying new games and complaining about the playfields?

"Hey mom, I know eating at Jack in The Box and Chipotle has killed several people in the last couple weeks, but can we eat at one of them anyway?" "Sure son. If anything happens we will complain about it on the internet. That will teach them"

#5565 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Hey mom, I know eating at Jack in The Box and Chipotle has killed several people in the last couple weeks, but can we eat at one of them anyway?" "Sure son. If anything happens we will complain about it on the internet. That will teach them"

I've never been sick from Chipotle because I never get any produce on my burrito. Just the heart clogging crap.

#5566 3 years ago

So what’s the consensus on the TMNT playfields?

#5567 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Today Stern is charging over double the price for games then those made a decade ago, with less parts and overall lower quality...

With 30+ year old adults verbally fapping to the new TMNT game remembering when they were 8 in their TMNT whitey tighties watching the 80s cartoon, I wonder why Stern keeps raising prices.

I'm so confused.

#5568 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

With 30+ year old adults verbally fapping to the new TMNT game remembering when they were 8 in their TMNT whitey tighties watching the 80s cartoon, I wonder why Stern keeps raising prices.
I'm so confused.

#5569 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I'm so confused.

Just so you know i would never wear TMNT underwear. I’d damn sure wear some Munsters underwear though!

#5570 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

whitey tighties

Sorry, pet peeve. It’s tighty whities. Haha

#5571 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Haven't visited this thread in awhile, but after a year of fair warning are people still buying new games and complaining about the playfields?
"Hey mom, I know eating at Jack in The Box and Chipotle has killed several people in the last couple weeks, but can we eat at one of them anyway?" "Sure son. If anything happens we will complain about it on the internet. That will teach them"

Honest to god it has kept me away from newer purchases. Makes me feel like attack from mars or monster bash are the only next nib purchases I'd be comfortable making.

#5572 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Honest to god it has kept me away from newer purchases. Makes me feel like attack from mars or monster bash are the only next nib purchases I'd be comfortable making.

My thoughts EXACTLY!

#5573 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

My Nib Monster Bash was the worst dimpling game I’ve had. Didn’t worry me personally, but if it does you then don’t get too excited.

#5574 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

In my case its unpopulated, i was also told stern wants the old one back. Im going to do the swap then send back the old one as long as they include a return receipt, they said they would. I think making customers wait 6-12 months or more is crappy, this kind of treatment is on purpose, starts at the top.

There's no way I would agree to send back the old playfield. The only way I would agree to that is if Stern offered to install the new one.

#5575 3 years ago

My AFMR playfield is the worst dimpling of all the games in my collection and I have several newer Stern’s. Not sure what the secret sauce was in the past for playfields but someone lost the recipe.

#5576 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

My AFMR playfield is the worst dimpling of all the games in my collection and I have several newer Stern’s. Not sure what the secret sauce was in the past for playfields but someone lost the recipe.

Not rocket science...cheaper, softer wood (less dense) that isn't being prepped properly (much more visible wood grain on recent PF's).

All stems from cost cutting.

#5577 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

So what’s the consensus on the TMNT playfields?

From the TMNT thread it looks like same as newer JP’s. Thinner clear which results in slightly raised inserts.

#5578 3 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

From the TMNT thread it looks like same as newer JP’s. Thinner clear which results in slightly raised inserts.

Oh well. Thinner clear, other issues are just preventing me from gambling on a new game. I am ready for something new.

#5579 3 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Oh well. Thinner clear, other issues are just preventing me from gambling on a new game. I am ready for something new.

Im ready for a couple of somethings nib. At this point i will only buy nob. Im not taking the hit on nib anymore.

#5580 3 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

Must be some magical formula to attack the insert glue and pry up those inserts.

#5581 3 years ago

My Stern Munsters LE is the worst Blistering/Pooling playfield in the 12 years I have of NIB Sterns, looks like Pimples that are about to pop

#5582 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Must be some magical formula to attack the insert glue and pry up those inserts.

Wood probably isn't as dry as it should be and is shrinking at some point after having the inserts installed and drum sanded flush. Would also explain some of the planking effect going on as well.

#5583 3 years ago

Need to change the title of this thread to Continued problems with Stern pinball playfields!

#5584 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Wood probably isn't as dry as it should be and is shrinking at some point

been there

#5585 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I'm so confused.

And the 45+ year olds are confused as well. At this rate just make a He-Man pin while you’re at it.

I’m gonna be an adult and wait for my Jaws pin.

#5586 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

And the 45+ year olds are confused as well. At this rate just make a He-Man pin while you’re at it.

While your waiting for your manly man game,I bet there’s a lot guys out there including me that think he-man would make a badass pin!
Imagine Christopher Franchi on artwork for JJP

#5587 3 years ago

Played one on location today. GREAT game!

I’ll be ordering a pro.

#5588 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

While your waiting for your manly man game,I bet there’s a lot guys out there including me that think he-man would make a badass pin!
Imagine Christopher Franchi on artwork for JJP

Fine! I don’t care!

I’m just gonna...ergh. I’m just...umpgh! I’m, hunnnngh!

Can you guys help me load my pin please then enjoy your kids table.

#5589 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I’m, hunnnngh!

Hey, nobody brags about how hunnnngh they are on these forums buddy. You'll get moderated.

#5590 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Hey, nobody brags about how hunnnngh they are on these forums buddy. You'll get moderated.

Proofread better before posting. Got it.

#5591 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Proofread better before posting. Got it.

I'm just joking with you. I thought it was funny.

#5592 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

People have short memories with this stuff, and when a new pin gets released it gets shorter still. New pin with a theme based on something they remember from their youth? Straight up amnesia.

Stern won’t improve because they don’t need to. The only leverage consumers have over them is not putting up with this shit, but they can’t even manage not to throw money at them.

#5593 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

People have short memories with this stuff, and when a new pin gets released it gets shorter still. New pin with a theme based on something they remember from their youth? Straight up amnesia.
Stern won’t improve because they don’t need to. The only leverage consumers have over them is not putting up with this shit, but they can’t even manage not to throw money at them.

Should be a key post in this thread.

#5594 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

That’s because we are addicts, and they have our drug of choice. Ive gone cold turkey!

#5595 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Play about two games per week?

#5596 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

We're gonna need a bigger thread

#5597 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

There is certain irony there, though. It took my mom until her late 90s to only remember things that happened decades ago.

I personally, don't need or want anything to remind me of my youth. Except that quality of things I buy now is even close. There does however seem to be a certain age group that would rather relive their youths and pay heavily to do so. Living in the now must suck for them.

#5598 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There is certain irony there, though. It took my mom until her late 90s to only remember things that happened decades ago.
I personally, don't need or want anything to remind me of my youth. Except that quality of things I buy now is even close. There does however seem to be a certain age group that would rather relive their youths and pay heavily to do so. Living in the now must suck for them.

I like living in the past.

#5599 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I like living in the past.

I think the reason I don't is I still feel like I'm in my youth, so there is really no youth to revisit.

A little nostalgia once in a while because I have a super good memory, but I'm not paying money to put up monuments to it. What is happening today and tomorrow is all that matters now.

Plus, they would never make a pinball machine that would do justice to the kind of childhoods those my age experienced. It would only serve to water it down. If you were a kid in the 80s, it's a lot easier I'd imagine.

#5600 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think the reason I don't is I still feel like I'm in my youth, so there is really no youth to revisit.
A little nostalgia once in a while because I have a super good memory, but I'm not paying money to put up monuments to it. What is happening today and tomorrow is all that matters now.

I can remember so much of the past and have flashbacks. Such a good family unit and moral teachings. I don’t know how I became so evil.

Anyway back to playfields!

I recently purchased a JP premium built on 6/4/20. So far I am happy. Only hundred games in, but the thin clear looks ok to me. I love the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 16.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,500 (OBO)
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,245 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Georgetown, KY
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/112?hl=leonspinkx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.