IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 185.
#5101 3 years ago
Quoted from Off2War:

Can anyone confirm if the latest run of Iron Maidens from Stern still have issues with the playfield pooling? Or has this now been addressed and fixed?

New playfield has the art removed around posts, just like they "fixed" the problem from JPLE and forward. Ballguides and apron is still affected on the games i have seen.

My friend got a IMDN from the run in January, he have some ugly playfield issue on that machine..Not clear coat related.

#5102 3 years ago

Now that I think of it, one of the STH owners in the club thread said he had playfield issues on his game and is working with stern. He didn’t go into any details though.

#5103 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They can. I have one in Stranger Things. They obviously had an issue with one of their processes. Maybe they found a cheaper way to make them and it didn’t work out? Maybe one of the art/clear vendors they are using started to cheapen their process and it didn’t work out? Who knows.

These playfields put out by Stern over the last couple of years are hands-down the worst quality I've ever seen. We do know the answer why the playfields are garbage. It's cause Stern doesn't give a shit, Plain and simple. They don't stand by thier product and i've been told by Distros if you buy nib and you get a bad playfield there's very little that can be done. Why i only buy used Sterns. Hoping that things will be better for TMNT but i doubt it

#5104 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

These playfields put out by Stern over the last couple of years are hands-down the worst quality I've ever seen. We do know the answer why the playfields are garbage. It's cause Stern doesn't give a shit, Plain and simple. They don't stand by thier product and i've been told by Distros if you buy nib and you get a bad playfield there's very little that can be done. Why i only buy used Sterns. Hoping that things will be better for TMNT but i doubt it

I bought a Spider-Man VE NIB a few years ago. It had some insert ghosting. Stern sent me a replacement populated play field at no cost. It looks pristine.

My experience is that they certainly do stand behind their product.

#5105 3 years ago

Well the good news for the haters?

Stern - and everyone else - are producing zero pinball machines for now. So for the time being you won’t have to worry about any playfield issues.

#5106 3 years ago
Quoted from bane:

My experience is that they certainly do stand behind their product

Buy a new game right now and get a bad playfield and see what happens. They will tell you tough shit., we got your money and there isn't a damn think that you can do about it.

#5107 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Buy a new game right now and get a bad playfield and see what happens. They will tell you tough shit., we got your money and there isn't a damn think that you can do about it.

Well, I did get a JP LE last fall. It had multiple problems with the T. rex head. They sent me a new T. rex head to replace the original free of charge. It now works great.

I understand that everyone has different experiences. However, I have had ( and continue to have) good experiences with Stern and their customer support. I think people should hear about both the good and the bad.

#5108 3 years ago

I never planned to buy a NIB Stern Spike because of the CC issues and the uncertainty about node board availability down the road. But I did just pick up a used DP pro. But only because a NIB playfield was included with it. The owner also had a Batman 66 for sale with a NIB playfield. So in each case the existing playfields has CC chips. Two locations on the DP, one behind a guide rail (not visible) and one at the left bottom in-lane post. So Stern does ship out unpopulated playfieds anyway. I was looking for a winter project and have done PF swaps before, but it's not for the meek! So to each their own, but buyer beware. What burns my ass is how they keep cost cutting and still raise prices every year. People need to start voting with their wallets. But Stern does know how to make a fun pin.

#5109 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well the good news for the haters?
Stern - and everyone else - are producing zero pinball machines for now. So for the time being you won’t have to worry about any playfield issues.

Maybe they'll focus on code updates and solving their QC issues for now.

#5110 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Unboxed my imdn pf. What is an acceptable amount of warpage? It looks significant along the edge, not as bad when laid flat. It's a bit twisted too, but not much.
I've never owned just a pf, so I have no idea if this is normal.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

In my post quoted above, I posted pictures of the warped PF I received. Anyone have a recommended way of fixing it? Sawhorses with some weight on it? Steam? I'm thinking I should fix it sooner than later.

#5111 3 years ago
Quoted from bane:

Well, I did get a JP LE last fall. It had multiple problems with the T. rex head. They sent me a new T. rex head to replace the original free of charge. It now works great.
I understand that everyone has different experiences. However, I have had ( and continue to have) good experiences with Stern and their customer support. I think people should hear about both the good and the bad.

They will still fix stuff like that but if you buy a brand new game and you open the box up and it has a playfield with chipped clear coat you are screwed. The best you will do is a blank playfield and theres a good chance that you wont even get that. I love Stern games and always have and ive bought seven new games from them but im telling you right now that their customer service sucks! My last two games have had playfield defects and ive been fighting them for a year now and haven't got shit out of them. Guess what though? They aren’t getting shit out of me anymore either so it’s their loss!

#5112 3 years ago

I find it crazy that you only get the "better" Stern playfield if you buy a premium or LE. For nearly $6k you get a playfield with less clear? That just doesn't seem right considering the all time record prices.

#5113 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I find it crazy that you only get the "better" Stern playfield if you buy a premium or LE. For nearly $6k you get a playfield with less clear? That just doesn't seem right considering the all time record prices.

I dont think that is true at all. The clear is the same on all if them and far as I know.

#5114 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont think that is true at all. The clear is the same on all if them and far as I know.

Not true. Like I said, between the stranger things pro and now the LE I’ve had at my house the clearcoats were noticeably different. Way thicker on the LE.

I don’t know if it’s a trim level thing, or the differences between their clear vendors as they use multiple different companies to do the art and clear on their playfields.

#5115 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not true. Like I said, between the stranger things pro and now the LE I’ve had at my house the clearcoats were noticeably different. Way thicker on the LE.
I don’t know if it’s a trim level thing, or the differences between their clear vendors as they use multiple different companies to do the art and clear on their playfields.

It may not be exactly the "same" on all of them I get that. All I am saying is Stern is not saying that if you buy a premium or an LE that you will get a playfield with more clear coat on it. Of course different playfields could possibly have different amounts of clear on them. It would be impossible for humans to spray the exact same amount of clear on every playfield.

#5116 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It may not be exactly the "same" on all of them I get that. All I am saying is Stern is not saying that if you buy a premium or an LE that you will get a playfield with more clear coat on it. Of course different playfields could possibly have different amounts of clear on them. It would be impossible for humans to spray the exact same amount of clear on every playfield.

Then why not have machines apply the clear? I know people hate carguments, but car clearcoats are absolutely uniform/precise/automated.

#5117 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Part of the confusion is that Stern is never clear, or admits to, any quality control issues. As a result customers are left guessing about whether this issue or that issue is resolved or not. In the end customers end up playing the quality control lottery. When I called Stern up a few years ago before buying a NIB GB Premium to ask them about the cabinet cracking issue at the time I was rather abruptly told "there are no cabinet issues, some simply didn't get enough glue".

The same thing applies to JJP who has had issues with every single title they have released. Some early WOZ's had playfield and light board issues, early Hobbit builds required fix kits (at least no playfield issues), early build Dialed In's had chipping at the sim card and cell phone toy scoop, a majority of Pirates had playfield issues, and finally early build Wonka SE and LE's had playfield issues. I'm just tired of this crap, especially at these prices. For $6k - $12k+ the last thing customers should have to worry about are playfield issues. I'm looking forward to GNR from JJP but won't be any early adopter due to past issues with early build games.

#5118 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Then why not have machines apply the clear? I know people hate carguments, but car clearcoats are absolutely uniform/precise/automated.

Dont ask me dude. I'm not in the pinball playfield making industry.

#5119 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

There is a significant difference between the clear of the pro and LE of stranger things. Whether they are advertising it or not, they are doing it. No idea on other titles.

#5120 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There is a significant difference between the clear of the pro and LE of stranger things. Whether they are advertising it or not, they are doing it. No idea on other titles.

If theres a difference I bet you that it's not intentional. I've seen JP Premiums and Elvira premiums and they have terribly thin clearcoat on them. I know that's not stranger things but I think your observations are just a fluke. They wanted to stop the pooling so they use less clear now since they obviously cant figure out what's wrong with the clearcoat. It's a band aid and not a fix.

#5121 3 years ago

Well then us STH LE owners hit the jackpot!

#5122 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If theres a difference I bet you that it's not intentional. I've seen JP Premiums and Elvira premiums and they have terribly thin clearcoat on them. I know that's not stranger things but I think your observations are just a fluke. They wanted to stop the pooling so they use less clear now since they obviously cant figure out what's wrong with the clearcoat. It's a band aid and not a fix.

Don't know why "less clear" is necessarily bad. Seems like the wood prep/density is a bigger deal. I own 2 JP Premiums and both PF's are gorgeous (and both have "less clear"). The wood density and prep (i.e. sanding) are as good as any Stern PF I've had/seen.

As long as Stern continue cranking out games at 10-20x what others can produce, we will have to deal with 10-15% less-than-perfect builds. For folks like you that are pissed off, the obvious answer is to buy NOB (where you can see what you are getting). Non-stop public bitching might be therapeutic, however it's unlikely to change anything.

#5123 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Purely random.

Oh yeah - good luck with pooling on thicker clear.

#5124 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well.... except for having to be stuck with a stranger things le, that is.

#5125 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Well.... except for having to be stuck with a stranger things le, that is.

It’s brutal.

#5126 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Purely random.
Oh yeah - good luck with pooling on thicker clear.

What’s that? Never heard of it.

#5127 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What’s that? Never heard of it.

They’ve had to get the insurance companies involved and write papers on it to describe it and pay for it!!

5CCD2090-2166-4398-A1B7-695867AEFADE (resized).jpeg5CCD2090-2166-4398-A1B7-695867AEFADE (resized).jpeg

#5128 3 years ago

So is the pooling issues fixed on the newer builds of previously affected games?

Can anyone who has purchased a IMDN or JP with a 2020 build date confirm this?

#5129 3 years ago
Quoted from Off2War:

So is the pooling issues fixed on the newer builds of previously affected games?
Can anyone who has purchased a IMDN or JP with a 2020 build date confirm this?

I just unboxed my JP with a build date of 3/19/2020 and the playfield looks fantastic. No pooling nor any other defects I could find.

#5130 3 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

I just unboxed my JP with a build date of 3/19/2020 and the playfield looks fantastic. No pooling nor any other defects I could find.

Yeah but, doesn't the pooling effect take a bit to set in? Play it for a while and let us know!

#5131 3 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking for a jp premium with this build date. Any distributors with this build date in stock please pm me as I'm a buyer.
Thanks.

#5132 3 years ago
Quoted from bane:

A TRex head that can be taken out and a PF where every single thing has to be taken off the top and bottom are too very....very different things with two very different levels of effort.

#5133 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yeah but, doesn't the pooling effect take a bit to set in? Play it for a while and let us know!

Theres not much chance of pooling anymore because they are spraying the clearcoat on paper thin. I know there people here who want to argue that but their argument is horse shit. The clear on these new playfields is so thin you can see ridges from the inserts.

Oh yeah and they dont put artwork under the posts anymore either, that helps prevent pooling as well.

#5134 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Theres not much chance of pooling anymore because they are spraying the clearcoat on paper thin. I know there people here who want to argue that but their argument is horse shit. The clear on these new playfields is so thin you can see ridges from the inserts.
Oh yeah and they dont put artwork under the posts anymore either, that helps prevent pooling as well.

Hmm...the clear on my 2004 LOTR is "paper thin" and the PF looks awesome after 16 years and over 20,000 plays. This is a fact, not "horse shit". So far, both my JP PF's look better than my BM66 which has a much thicker, shinier clear (and the JP's have 4x the plays).

IMG_1923 (resized).jpegIMG_1923 (resized).jpeg
#5135 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hmm...the clear on my 2004 LOTR is "paper thin" and the PF looks awesome after 16 years and over 20,000 plays. This is a fact, not "horse shit". So far, both my JP PF's look better than my BM66 which has a much thicker, shinier clear (and the JP's have 4x the plays). [quoted image]

I think the playfield and manufacturing process in 2004 was completely different to the process in the last few years. The only horse shit going around is what the manufacturers are feeding us to explain their playfield disasters and why they will not stand behind their product.

Early 2016 is when it all went to shit for Stern. GBLE was a prime example. We are all being conditioned to receive shit product, now is the time to do something about it.

#5136 3 years ago

For me going forward any new or used games within the last 6 year i purchase are all getting a playfield protector. I know a lot of people dont like protectors but its sure as hell as has to be better than letting our playfields disintegrate.

#5137 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I think the playfield and manufacturing process in 2004 was completely different to the process in the last few years. The only horse shit going around is what the manufacturers are feeding us to explain their playfield disasters and why they will not stand behind their product.

That's part of my point...whatever process they used for JP2 worked out great for the 2 machines I received (and I've had some less-than-perfect PF's over the past few years). Historically, stock pinball PF's haven't had thick, shiny clear coats. I don't care if my clear is thin or thick, matte or glossy, *as long as the PF wears well*.

It obviously sucks when PF disasters aren't being taken care of. It's unfortunate distributors don't seem to have any impact on Stern.

Quoted from Mrawesome44:

For me going forward any new or used games within the last 6 year i purchase are all getting a playfield protector. I know a lot of people dont like protectors but its sure as hell as has to be better than letting our playfields disintegrate.

I've had a lot of machines and play them often and they all look great. Playfield protectors make no sense to me, especially if you maintain your games on a regular basis. Even cliffy protectors effect the way a game plays...I only use them when necessary.

#5138 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hmm...the clear on my 2004 LOTR is "paper thin" and the PF looks awesome after 16 years and over 20,000 plays. This is a fact, not "horse shit". So far, both my JP PF's look better than my BM66 which has a much thicker, shinier clear (and the JP's have 4x the plays). [quoted image]

Your LOTR playfield is far better quality than your JP playfield, I'd be willing to bet on that.

#5139 3 years ago

I’ve had issues with playfields from every company. Here is the solution - I’m paying how many thousands of $$ for a brand new game??!! Just throw in a blank playfield as part of the deal. Call it “art” if you want to. Honestly - how much does a playfield cost? For the price of a NIB game - just include one and save everyone a headache!

#5140 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

cannot confirm
got JPLE and the playfield sucks

#5141 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

It obviously sucks when PF disasters aren't being taken care of. It's unfortunate distributors don't seem to have any impact on Stern.

That is the issue with Stern. They do not want to stand behind their product, and are pushing all their distros to knock back warranty claims.

No more Playfield Russian Roulette for us. Inspection on every NIB before we buy. This is a condition of sale for us.

#5142 3 years ago

That is the issue with Stern. They do not want to stand behind their product, and are pushing all their distros to knock back warranty claims.
No more Playfield Russian Roulette for us. Inspection on every NIB before we buy. This is a condition of sale for us.

Distros open the game for you to see the playfield before you buy?

#5143 3 years ago

See thats the problem, most people dont have a distributor near them to be able to do that. You just gotta play Russian roulette and hope for the best.

#5144 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Distros open the game for you to see the playfield before you buy?

Quoted from Who-Dey:

See thats the problem, most people dont have a distributor near them to be able to do that. You just gotta play Russian roulette and hope for the best.

In Australia the law allows us to ask for this, same as the law looks after us and if we get the game and do not like it, we are entitled to a full refund. Our distro is fantastic, but we do have laws that protect us too.

Added over 4 years ago:

If you do not like your game because it has a defect. I.e. crazed inserts ot cracked cabinet

#5145 3 years ago

In Australia the law allows us to ask for this, same as the law looks after us and if we get the game and do not like it, we are entitled to a full refund. Our distro is fantastic, but we do have laws that protect us too.

Stern would go out of business in the US if we had such a law.

I've been burned on my last three NIB Stern games and only because of a great distributor coupled with threat of legal action did my issues get resolved. Countless hours, photos, letters and other BS. These are $8K toys and one would expect the product to be "new" and in working condition (minus shipping derived adjustments).

Post pandemic, Stern will need to pivot and increase QC to satisfy the increase of home buyers as arcades flounder due to local government mandates.

#5146 3 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

Stern would go out of business in the US if we had such a law.
I've been burned on my last three NIB Stern games and only because of a great distributor coupled with threat of legal action did my issues get resolved. Countless hours, photos, letters and other BS. These are $8K toys and one would expect the product to be "new" and in working condition (minus shipping derived adjustments).
Post pandemic, Stern will need to pivot and increase QC to satisfy the increase of home buyers as arcades flounder due to local government mandates.

We go through all the same BS for a warranty claim. Our distro always helps out as much as they can, Stern is difficult. We love all the new Stern games, they are fantastic. It is such a shame they cannot get their QC right. If you bought a new car and there was dents and scratches in the paint and the lenses were foggy or crazed or cracked you would not accept it. We need to be the same with our pinball machines.

I agree totally, Stern need to lift their game and stand behind their product. We all need to push them into doing it.

#5147 3 years ago

We go through all the same BS for a warranty claim. Our distro always helps out as much as they can, Stern is difficult. We love all the new Stern games, they are fantastic. It is such a shame they cannot get their QC right. If you bought a new car and there was dents and scratches in the paint and the lenses were foggy or crazed or cracked you would not accept it. We need to be the same with our pinball machines.
I agree totally, Stern need to lift their game and stand behind their product. We all need to push them into doing it.

Back in February, I purchased a new car. It had a door ding and acid damage from bird poop on the hood. When a car sits on the lot, these minor imperfections happen. The dealer did a great job fixing both of these...they didn't involve Volvo, who manufactured the car. That's the big difference between these industries...with auto manufacturers, the service offered by auto distributors is complete and advanced. With pinball distributors, they rarely do ANYTHING to help. In fact, I would imagine most pinball owners never even meet their distributor face-to-face.

I believe Stern's quality issues are directly related to their success over the past 5-6 years. More titles, more employees, new manufacturing facility, etc. When car manufacturers "scale up", they lean on process/machines/robots to accomplish this. Unfortunately, Stern apparently does everything the old fashioned way. Low wage assembly line workers make mistakes and I bet aren't empowered to "stop the line" if they notice a quality issue.

At a high level, Stern can either slow down (i.e. produce less machines) and stick with old school OR innovate and figure out how to modernize their process (and produce more machines).

The notion of pushing Stern into building a higher quality product is right-minded, but naive. They are a pretty closed company when it comes to discussing their process and challenges. Until they open up, it's highly unlikely we have any leverage.

#5148 3 years ago

Russian Roulette playfields.

#5149 3 years ago

I like cake

#5150 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Russian Roulette playfields.

It's like opening up a box of cracker Jacks, you never know what's inside the box until you open it up!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
Backbox
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods
Protection
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 70.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 22.00
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/103?hl=leonspinkx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.