IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 102 of 185.
#5051 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I really was just curious about how hard it is to do a playfield swap on a JJP machine.
You do bring up an interesting point though...if the pooling and such does not affect gameplay, and no one is going to do the swap, why was there so many complaints about needing a new playfield? People need something to fill their closets with or something?

2 reasons.

Makes it easier to sell your machine later and get a better sale price (makes new buyer feel better- even though they may do the same !!! Storing it).

Other reason ends up being a money grab. Sell your current machine at some point and next buyer does not care about minor playfield issues as long as it plays. Think of this as a payment for pain and suffering.

#5052 4 years ago

The good thing is Mirco is back to making them right again!

#5053 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

The most important thing here is JJP making the customer whole.

You were NOT made whole. Not even close!

#5054 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You were NOT made whole. Not even close!

Dude if they’re cool with it Let it ride!

#5055 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Dude if they’re cool with it Let it ride!

I'm not making a big deal about it, I haven't been made whole either. So far Stern has screwed me worse than he got screwed. I'm just pointing out that buying a 10k game with a bad playfield and then being sent a blank playfield is not acceptable and as long as we talk like that its going to become acceptable.

#5056 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Stern has screwed me worse than he got screwed.

I didn't get screwed. I could do the PF swap no problem. I'm a mechanical engineer in the auto industry. I was made whole in my opinion. Sorry you don't feel that way

#5057 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm not making a big deal about it, I haven't been made whole either. So far Stern has screwed me worse than he got screwed. I'm just pointing out that buying a 10k game with a bad playfield and then being sent a blank playfield is not acceptable and as long as we talk like that its going to become acceptable.

I can see that.It seems some are just cool with leaving it at that.Maybe their defects aren’t terribly bad

#5058 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I can see that.It seems some are just cool with leaving it at that.Maybe their defects aren’t terribly bad

Like all of the playfield freak outs of the past (remember “ghosting”?) everybody realizes it’s not a big deal, games still look and play fine, and we were all overreacting.

I seriously never notice this stuff until it’s pointed out. I played out BKSOR at the local bar for about 6 months before someone pointed the “pooling” out to me.

#5059 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Like all of the playfield freak outs of the past (remember “ghosting”?) everybody realizes it’s not a big deal, games still look and play fine, and we were all overreacting.
I seriously never notice this stuff until it’s pointed out. I played out BKSOR at the local bar for about 6 months before someone pointed the “pooling” out to me.

I hear you but I also get the other side.Not trying to flip flop but I also experienced getting my first nib and being made aware of the pooling problems.Once I was made aware of problem it bug the shit out of me,especially because of Pinside.All I thought about was when I was ready to sell.Fortunatly my Wonka was completely replaced with the beautiful second run units because of a shitload of other issues.This second one has been perfect!

#5060 4 years ago

LOL. Good to know you can pay almost $10K for a PF that will be defective, but that's ok because a nice new one that you can hang on the wall and it looks pretty hanging there once you get it 6-10 months later totally makes the price worth it.

The Stockholm Syndrome in this hobby is fascinating.

#5061 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I didn't get screwed. I could do the PF swap no problem. I'm a mechanical engineer in the auto industry. I was made whole in my opinion. Sorry you don't feel that way

Can you come over then and do my POTC CE swap as well?

I know how to do it, but do not have the time...seems like you do.

#5062 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

LOL. Good to know you can pay almost $10K for a PF that will be defective, but that's ok because a nice new one that you can hang on the wall and it looks pretty hanging there once you get it 6-10 months later totally makes the price worth it.

We all got stockholm syndrome now!

I’m really staring to sympathize with this virus.

#5063 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Yep. Everyone has different expectations and situations. Even if we could all "stick together" and demand populated PF's, it wouldn't work anyway (especially with JJP, whose business isn't thriving).

All negotiations with pinball companies are personal. When I had a problem with my DILE PF, JJP offered an unpopulated PF or a topper. Took the topper and felt like they "took care of me". From my perspective, it's not about being made "whole", it's about getting a perk for the flawed game. Nothing is worse than feeling like you are being ignored...

#5064 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Yep. Everyone has different expectations and situations. Even if we could all "stick together" and demand populated PF's, it wouldn't work anyway (especially with JJP, whose business isn't thriving).
All negotiations with pinball companies are personal. When I had a problem with my DILE PF, JJP offered an unpopulated PF or a topper. Took the topper and felt like they "took care of me". From my perspective, it's not about being made "whole", it's about getting a perk for the flawed game. Nothing is worse than feeling like you are being ignored...

I had the same issue with my Hobbit smaug....it was a cosmetic cabinet issue....instead of them sending me a new cabinet I negotiated for mirrored game blades, and two sheets of invisiglass

#5065 4 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

I was surprised when mine showed up the other day. I am running mine on
Route and in no hurry to swap playfields.

Its definitely a resale issue. A Wonka with pooling and minor chipping might bring low to mid 6s. Now with a spare playfield on hand I won't let it go for less then 7k(unless the market completely crashes.) I already talked to a few people about buying it and everyone agreed a new uninstalled playfield really makes it more tempting.

only to a select few that would actually do a swap

#5066 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Well, uh.... As a customer that was affected, this situation wasn't known to exist prior before purchase. So it's not like we, well I personally, walked into and wished for self injury.

#5067 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

but do not have the time...seems like you do

I do have the time- I've been working from home the last month. No, I won't.

#5068 4 years ago

What really amazes me is in a hobby where everyone is SUPPOSED to be enjoying it, there sure are a lot of vitriolic, hatefull, snarky, smart-asses on Pinside ready to attack ANYONE. Probably the last straw for me here, will probably be de-activating the account and going to FB marketplace for good.

How on earth do people get through the day that have NOTHING good to say, ever?

#5069 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

What really amazes me is in a hobby where everyone is SUPPOSED to be enjoying it, there sure are a lot of vitriolic, hatefull, snarky, smart-asses on Pinside ready to attack ANYONE. Probably the last straw for me here, will probably be de-activating the account and going to FB marketplace for good.

I missed the attack. Try not to sweat the small stuff! All social media platforms have disagreeable folks. Still a lot of knowledgeable people that are helpful. With the lackluster support/engagement from pinball companies, this is the best place to fix common problems. Hang in there!

#5070 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Whaaa? Pinside is a great resource for folks who love the hobby. Now RGP...that turned into a disaster. Glad it was gone.

#5071 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pinball isn't cars. It's super different than cars, in countless number of ways. A backup mint playfield is worth more to a pinball owner than a backup mint fender is to a car owner.

That depends entirely on the car.

#5072 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

only to a select few that would actually do a swap

Yeah, if I'm honest, a spare playfield I lack both the knowledge or time to swap out would have little value to me. Now someone that has the know how and desire to take on a project like that, maybe, but still...

Bottom line is that these manufacturers should gave stepped up and supplied fully populated playfields for those affected. Minus that, they charged a lot of money for a defective product that will cost most unlucky enough to have received them on resale and that is wrong.

#5073 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

I suppose you must be talking about me. It was not my intent to attack you, make you look bad or be rude to you at all. I just hate seeing these companies get away with selling someone a 6 or 10k game with a bad playfield and call it even by giving them a unpopulated playfield.

Please dont leave because of me, I still like 99% of the people here even if I disagree with them. Me and Wesman are good friends and we do not agree on the playfield thing either. One of these days I'm going to make him see the light and get him off of Jack's nuts but its probably going to take awhile as big of a JJP fanboy he is. I think hes trying to compete with Panzer for being JJP's biggest fanboy.

#5074 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I suppose you must be talking about me. It was not my intent to attack you, make you look bad or be rude to you at all. I just hate seeing these companies get away with selling someone a 6 or 10k game with a bad playfield and call it even by giving them a unpopulated playfield.
Please dont leave because of me, I still like 99% of the people here even if I disagree with them. Me and Wesman are good friends and we do not agree on the playfield thing either. One of these days I'm going to make him see the light and get him off of Jack's nuts but its probably going to take awhile as big of a JJP fanboy he is. I think hes trying to compete with Panzer for being JJP's biggest fanboy.

lol. Pat him on the head and say you didn't mean to be rude while pissing on two new people not even involved. lol Best suggestion I can offer for Pinside "Why So Serious" the Joker.

#5075 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

lol. Pat him on the head and say you didn't mean to be rude while pissing on two new people not even involved. lol Best suggestion I can offer for Pinside "Why So Serious" the Joker.

I like Wesman and Panzer both. I give both of them shit every chance i get, especially Panzer!

#5076 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I like Wesman and Panzer both. I give both of them shit every chance i get, especially Panzer!

I know, messing with you. Your post did make me curious who didn't make your 99% list though lol.

#5077 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

did make me curious who didn't make your 99% list though lol.

Who-Dey. Doodoo poopy head.

Yay! I’m a one-percenter now!

#5078 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Who-Dey. Doodoo poopy head.
Yay! I’m a one-percenter now!

Lol no you arent. I have no issues with you. I think everybody on here has a few people in mind that they think are dicks. I'm sure that I'm on that list for some also.

Your safe also Yelobird.

#5079 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I like 99% of the people here even if I disagree with them.

Which means Who-Dey dislikes only one percent of Pinsiders.
And one percenters generally refers to the very richest Americans.
So basically, Who-Dey doesn't like the excessively wealthy?

I wish I qualified to be disliked by Who-Dey. Unfortunately, I do not.

#5080 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Which means Who-Dey dislikes only one percent of Pinsiders.
And one percenters generally refers to the very richest Americans.
So basically, Who-Dey doesn't like the excessively wealthy?
I wish I qualified to be disliked by Who-Dey. Unfortunately, I do not.

Lol I'm with you on that. I'm broke as a bad jioke!! I'm saving some money right now though because of this coronavirusthing, might have to treat myself to a Elvira 3 when its over with!

#5081 4 years ago

can’t you guys get a room?

#5082 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

can’t you guys get a room?

They could, but would need to stay 6 feet apart, so what's the point.

#5083 4 years ago

Looks like stern still having issues.. bunch nib games on Facebook have insert issues and what looks like planking but it's something else. Games were maiden and Jurassic park

#5084 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Looks like stern still having issues.. bunch nib games on Facebook have insert issues and what looks like planking but it's something else. Games were maiden and Jurassic park

Link?

2 weeks later
#5085 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

We are still seeing new reports of upper post chipping on Jurassic Park games even with the blank area around posts. Chipping around sling posts seems eliminated but I'm not sure why it's still an issue at this post right below the upper right flipper. Is this area chipping because the ball hits the post so often causing movement?
This makes me wonder if Stern changed anything with their playfield clear process or only made the no artwork change around posts? If it is the latter then the root cause of chipping may not have been addressed. Then again we've heard reports that Stern uses multiple companies to make playfields so maybe that's why their playfield QC is so hit or miss.
[quoted image]

The most recent pic of a chipping playfield is over 2 months old is this because of a fix or a lack of buyers

#5086 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

The most recent pic of a chipping playfield is over 2 months old is this because of a fix or a lack of buyers

Well, when this pandemic started, I watched the market for used pins. There's been plenty available. So instead of NIB, a lot of people are probably buying used. Myself included.

#5087 3 years ago

Can anyone confirm if the latest run of Iron Maidens from Stern still have issues with the playfield pooling? Or has this now been addressed and fixed?

#5088 3 years ago

100% addressed and fixed.

#5089 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

100% addressed and fixed.

Not to put you on the spot. But do you know what was causing it and how they fixed it?

#5090 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

We are still seeing new reports of upper post chipping on Jurassic Park games even with the blank area around posts. Chipping around sling posts seems eliminated but I'm not sure why it's still an issue at this post right below the upper right flipper. Is this area chipping because the ball hits the post so often causing movement?
This makes me wonder if Stern changed anything with their playfield clear process or only made the no artwork change around posts? If it is the latter then the root cause of chipping may not have been addressed. Then again we've heard reports that Stern uses multiple companies to make playfields so maybe that's why their playfield QC is so hit or miss.
[quoted image]

The post gets loose with use. It happened to mine. I put a silicone washer under the post and locktite on the nut. It’s hasn’t come loose since.
When the post is loose it bangs up the clear coat causing chips. Keep your posts tight.

#5091 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Not to put you on the spot. But do you know what was causing it and how they fixed it?

I was kidding. There’s never any guarantees ever that you’re going to get an issue free game. Always a chance.

#5092 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There’s never any guarantees ever that you’re going to get an issue free game. Always a chance

I would be fine with that and still buy their games if they would make it right after they sold you a piece of shit, but they tell you to get f*cked instead so until they change that im not a buyer.

They could have 15K of my money right now for a JP and a Elvira 3 but I'm scared to buy them because I'm afraid I'll get a bad playfield and they tell me to go pound sand. Great business model they have going there, I dont even see how it is legal to not stand behind a 8 thousand dollar product.

It's a shame too because Stern makes the funnest games by far of anyone in the industry. My next game is going to be a CGC probably. They care about their quaity.

#5093 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I would be fine with that and still buy their games if they would make it right after they sold you a piece of shit, but they tell you to get f*cked instead so until they change that im not a buyer.

Yep. Their process for making these issues right is clearly not much, so have to weigh that into your decision as well.

#5094 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

They care about their quaity.

Honestly no one will really know unless they have a similar issue. I honestly doubt any company can handle sending population PFs out to everyone that has PF issues.

#5095 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Honestly no one will really know unless they have a similar issue. I honestly doubt any company can handle sending population PFs out to everyone that has PF issues.

Wel the key is to make a better product the first time so that they don't have to send out new playfields. It's called quality control, every factory has that. Stern needs to take that much more serious than what they do because its costing them tons and Tons of money in sales. I personally know lots of people who will not buy a new Stern right now, matter of fact a friend of mine just yesterday ordered a new MMR instead of the JP Premium that he wanted because he is afraid of Sterns quality and afraid of getting the shaft if he gets a bad playfield.

If I was in charge at Stern stories like this would wake me the F up, especially since they just lost all of their location sales. What do I know though, I'm just a dumb hillbilly from Ohio.

#5096 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Wel the key is to make a better product the first time so that they don't have to send out new playfields. It's called quality control, every factory has that.

Yep and these companies have shown that they can have issues in this dept (JJP and Stern). CGC has been pretty clean so far, but they Aren’t perfect. They had insert issues with MM, but since then they seem to have been solid. But odds are they will have issues down the road to deal with just like JJP and stern. We shall see how they handle them.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm just a dumb hillbilly from Ohio.

Duh. Haha

#5097 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep and these companies have shown that they can have issues in this dept (JJP and Stern). CGC has been pretty clean so far, but they Aren’t perfect. They had insert issues with MM, but since then they seem to have been solid. But odds are they will have issues down the road to deal with just like JJP and stern. We shall see how they handle them.

Duh. Haha

I think the big question is, why cant Stern make a good quality playfield anymore like they used to?

#5098 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think the big question is, why cant Stern make a good quality playfield anymore like they used to?

They can. I have one in Stranger Things. They obviously had an issue with one of their processes. Maybe they found a cheaper way to make them and it didn’t work out? Maybe one of the art/clear vendors they are using started to cheapen their process and it didn’t work out? Who knows.

#5099 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They can. I have one in Stranger Things. They obviously had an issue with one of their processes. Maybe they found a cheaper way to make them and it didn’t work out? Maybe one of the art/clear vendors they are using started to cheapen their process and it didn’t work out? Who knows.

Yeah but does your Stranger things have the thin clearcoat on it or are they back to using the thicker clear? I'm not a fan of the thin clear coated playfields either.

#5100 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah but does your Stranger things have the thin clearcoat on it or are they back to using the thicker clear? I'm not a fan of the thin clear coated playfields either.

Way thicker. Had the pro at my house for a week and the clear coat was really thin.

The LE has a much thicker clear coat.

Neither game has playfield issues. But these are the only two I’ve seen up close at home

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
There are 9,207 posts in this topic. You are on page 102 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern/page/102 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.