Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Erzak
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider erzak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I'm contemplating buying my first pin. I do like to tinker with things, and don't want to buy a NIB or spend thousands. Looking thru the local CL listings (Phoenix area) and found these two within a mile of my house, same seller for both.

"Silver Ball Mania pinball machine by Bally, 1978. Appears all original with few repairs made. Back glass, deck and cabinet are in excellent condition considering the age. It plays without any audio and needs all rubber pieces. Includes repair manual. Key broken off in door. This game looks very complete and an excellent option for restoration. $600.00"

"Flash pinball machine by Williams, 1979. Makes noise and lights up but nothing more. Has original manual. Coin door needs repair and back glass is losing some paint. All rubber parts need to be replaced. Deck and cabinet in good condition. $300.00"

I played Silverball Mania quite a bit in college, and remember liking it. I've never played Flash, though I saw it at ZapCon this past weekend, should have tried it then. I expect there is a VP version of it, so could try that and see what I think.

Guessing that Silverball Mania would be an easier fix since it's working other than audio. but after reading up on both games, here and elsewhere, sounds like Flash is the more fun game. Would either of these be a good first fixer-upper? I'm an electrical engineer, and have built a MAME machine from scratch, but haven't touched the inside of a pinball machine.

The other potential option is I played a Stars (Stern) at ZapCon over the weekend that is for sale for $1100. Of course I didn't write down who was selling it, so it may not be available anymore. That table was a lot of fun.

Of course, I'm not sure where exactly I'd put one, short of losing some furniture in the living room, as Phoenix summers are too hot for a garage. One friend suggested putting it on my wife's side of the bed, since she wouldn't be there anymore...

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I personally wouldn't get a total project for game #1. I would pay for a working game and have fun with it...shit will end up breaking and you'll have a chance to learn all the fixery in time.

True. Though I do have a virtual pinball cabinet, so I can play those anytime. I kinda came to the realization when at ZapCon that I really want to have a "real" pin (or two or three) too. VPX is fun, but it's not the same.

#9 4 years ago

Well, just got an email back from the CL poster that both Flash and Silverball Mania are gone, he just didn't bother to pull his posts after a week+

So I just sent a note to the place that I *think* had Stars for sale. And will keep checking CL, Mr. Pinball, etc.

#17 4 years ago

Yep. Still waiting to hear back about the Stars table. And I'm not really in a hurry. Just got excited when I found two tables for sale within a mile of my house. I did look quickly on the Pinside map, and yes, there are a number of Pinsiders nearby. And, more tables at random bars, etc. than I knew about. Will have to expand the radius of my lunchtime expeditions...

#18 4 years ago

Ha, just checked CL again and more stuff listed: a couple of old EMs, Spin Wheel ($800) and Spin-A-Card ($600) and a Williams Laser Cue ($1800). Certainly seems to be a dynamic market.

#19 4 years ago

Heard back this morning that the Stars was sold already. Bummer. Will keep looking...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 169.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider erzak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/contemplating-my-first-purchase?tu=erzak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.